Recovery gear questions!

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Recovery gear questions!

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:13 pm

TankerZak wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:36 pm
Do you have any idea what it takes to get a tracked vehicle stuck?!?!? My god...
Yes...multiple 88's side by side. I think just about every tracked unit in the history of the Army has gotten multiple recovery vehicles stuck at the same time. Tracks are magnetized to POV's too.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Yeah, it wasn't uncommon at all. For all kinds of reasons. I was once lined up stopped in a convoy in Korea and the frozen road under my right track just decided enough was enough and that it couldn't take it a second more. Bam! Slid into the ditch. That one wasn't even my fault... road just took a break... i got all kinds of shit for that and weren't even moving...
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:33 pm

TankerZak wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:17 am
I was thinking about mounting the jack. At first i was going to get the 48 and toss it in side ways with the max tracks and gas can between the bed divider and the tailgate with my hard tonneau holding it all down. The 60 won't fit there. I don't have the wheel wells in the bed because of the ram boxes. If i had wheel wells I'd mount just like that. I'm a little bit at a loss. I might just strap it down when its in the bed. I did see a solution where someone built a mounting system inside the ramboxes. I don't want to give up that much room.... so... tie downs in the bed? I don't know...
I don't have a hi-lift, but I believe if I did I would find the heavy-dutiest velcro straps I could find and just strap it to the tie-downs in the T-tracks on the occasions I needed to bring it with me. I don't off road that much, if I did more maybe I'd try to figure out something more permanent (I'd probably fab or adapt mounting hardware to fit into the T-track).
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:36 pm

And sliding on ice in a tank is a very uncomfortable feeling unless you know what you're going to stop against and it isn't something you'll get in trouble for.
John
Alaska
My build thread

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:25 pm

Tokyo Drifting. :lol:
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:36 pm
And sliding on ice in a tank is a very uncomfortable feeling unless you know what you're going to stop against and it isn't something you'll get in trouble for.
I once did 360s in a tank as the gunner when driver lost control on an icy road in Hohenfels. We hit a forest... not a tree, a forrest... they had to clear logs to get us out...
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:33 pm
TankerZak wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:17 am
I was thinking about mounting the jack. At first i was going to get the 48 and toss it in side ways with the max tracks and gas can between the bed divider and the tailgate with my hard tonneau holding it all down. The 60 won't fit there. I don't have the wheel wells in the bed because of the ram boxes. If i had wheel wells I'd mount just like that. I'm a little bit at a loss. I might just strap it down when its in the bed. I did see a solution where someone built a mounting system inside the ramboxes. I don't want to give up that much room.... so... tie downs in the bed? I don't know...
I don't have a hi-lift, but I believe if I did I would find the heavy-dutiest velcro straps I could find and just strap it to the tie-downs in the T-tracks on the occasions I needed to bring it with me. I don't off road that much, if I did more maybe I'd try to figure out something more permanent (I'd probably fab or adapt mounting hardware to fit into the T-track).
I think I'm going with those same thoughts. Gonna try and just use some tie down straps or something.

Chubbs
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by Chubbs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:34 am

The price is too high on this, but I have been imagining something similar for RAMBOX trucks:

http://www.4xinnovations.com/2005-2018- ... _p_41.html
2018 Power Wagon
Bright Silver, Dual Alternators, Leather and Luxury, Ram Boxes

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:35 am

Yeah, problem is we don't have the wheel humps. So if you do that the jack is just floating in the middle suspended instead of tucked up under the bed rail and over the wheel hump. Great idea but I don't think I'd like it hovering...

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:10 am

http://www.swagoffroad.com/Bottle-Jack- ... _p_66.html

A bottle jack with one of these is extremely useful offroad and much easier to store securely than a hilift. Stable and easy to use, and quite versatile. This has become my go to jacking solution. The one caveat is I don’t encounter muddy conditions hardly ever lol
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Chubbs wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:34 am
The price is too high on this, but I have been imagining something similar for RAMBOX trucks:

That's where I'd put mine if I had one (in a Rambox bed), but yeah, $70+ is absurd for some bent plate with holes in it.
John
Alaska
My build thread

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Colibri wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:10 am
http://www.swagoffroad.com/Bottle-Jack- ... _p_66.html

A bottle jack with one of these is extremely useful offroad and much easier to store securely than a hilift. Stable and easy to use, and quite versatile. This has become my go to jacking solution. The one caveat is I don’t encounter muddy conditions hardly ever lol
Yeah, i for sure carry a bottle jack that has locks and coverts it into a jackstand. This is for when a bottle jack doesn't work. Like winching yourself backwards, tipping out of ruts, etc.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Right on, sometimes nothing but a hilift will get the job done.
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Lots of other stuff lol

TheDirtRoad
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by TheDirtRoad » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:47 pm

jack mount.jpg
Here is how I have mine mounted in the bed with Rambox.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:18 pm

Chubbs wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:34 am

There are actually a few really nice solutions for the Toyota Tacoma and Tundra rails. Does anyone know if Ram bed rails and Toyota are the same dimensions? Will our cleatz fit in Toyot rails?

TJ02Gopher

Post by TJ02Gopher » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:30 pm

What type of chains do you carry for recovery gear; size, rating, ect.?

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:38 pm

3/8” grade 80 for general use and for winching with the hilift is what I’ve always used. Working load limit lines up nicely that way with the jack
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

13BlkPowerWagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by 13BlkPowerWagon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 pm

How many of you guys carry a snatch rope? I had a strap, it was alright, stretched about 15%. Never lasted though, and once they started to fray, they were trashed (safety concern, even though they might still work). I got a Bubba Rope about a year ago, and while it was expensive, it's insane how well it works, and it stretches almost 35%, smooth as silk. I have yet to find a vehicle I couldn't get unstuck.

A month ago, after the Snowvertime Buffalo Bills game, I see a Ford F250 with a plow on it facing the wrong way on the right side of a 4 lane road near the stadium with his ambers flashing... Pass him, and there's a State Trooper Explorer stuck in the snow bank. Ford is spinning 3 tires trying to pull him out on the ice/snow with a chain hooked between them. I stopped, asked if he needed help, and of course got the, "that Dodge can't pull it out if my Ford can't" response. Trooper says, "let him give it a shot, he's got a winch!"

Well, I didn't bother with the winch (knew it would drag me, not him)... Hooked the rope to my tow hook up front, and shackled it to the mount on the Explorer, backed up, never spun a tire, and he was out. Guy in the Ford couldn't believe it. He took off, and the trooper gave me his card as a thank you.

It's pulled out plenty of Jeeps, other FST's, and even a Mack dump truck stuck in some slick mud. Best kinetic recovery device I've yet to find!

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:03 pm

13BlkPowerWagon wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 pm
How many of you guys carry a snatch rope? I had a strap, it was alright, stretched about 15%. Never lasted though, and once they started to fray, they were trashed (safety concern, even though they might still work). I got a Bubba Rope about a year ago, and while it was expensive, it's insane how well it works, and it stretches almost 35%, smooth as silk. I have yet to find a vehicle I couldn't get unstuck.

A month ago, after the Snowvertime Buffalo Bills game, I see a Ford F250 with a plow on it facing the wrong way on the right side of a 4 lane road near the stadium with his ambers flashing... Pass him, and there's a State Trooper Explorer stuck in the snow bank. Ford is spinning 3 tires trying to pull him out on the ice/snow with a chain hooked between them. I stopped, asked if he needed help, and of course got the, "that Dodge can't pull it out if my Ford can't" response. Trooper says, "let him give it a shot, he's got a winch!"

Well, I didn't bother with the winch (knew it would drag me, not him)... Hooked the rope to my tow hook up front, and shackled it to the mount on the Explorer, backed up, never spun a tire, and he was out. Guy in the Ford couldn't believe it. He took off, and the trooper gave me his card as a thank you.

It's pulled out plenty of Jeeps, other FST's, and even a Mack dump truck stuck in some slick mud. Best kinetic recovery device I've yet to find!
Awesome story! I’m a huge fan of bubba rope as well, probably my most used piece of recovery equipment.
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 pm

I carry a snatch and a couple tow straps and an extra 50 feet of winch cable, and 100 feet of kinetic climbing rope in case I have to tie myself to something. Ya just never know...

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:01 pm

Yes, kinetic recovery ropes are insanely valuable and work so well in many situations. Just make damn sure both connections are secured well... if not it can get very ugly :o (and the same goes for about any recovery, but snatch straps are even worse).
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:40 pm

I carry a Bubba rope too. :rockon:

I seen a guy pull a front bumper off a old 1977 ferd f150 on time. :rofl: The f150 had a bush guard mounted on the front with tow hooks mounted to the bush guard. The f150 was buried up to the frame in mud. His front tires up against a buried pipe line. To get out. He has to get up and over the pipe line, and about 5 yards to solid ground. Or go out outwards that is about 100 yards of more mud. He didn't want to go backwards because it was unmanly. :doh: His buddy wrapped the jerk strap around the bush guard mounted tow hooks. The other end to his f250 tow hitch. He backed up as close as he could. Had about 20ft of slack. 4Hi and pedal to the metal. He took off. When the slack was gone. So was the front bumper and bush guard. So when the f250 stopped. So did the front bumper and bush guard. In his tail gate. :jawdrop: :rofl:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

13BlkPowerWagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by 13BlkPowerWagon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:33 am

Ahahaha. Gotta love it!!

I carry a soft shackle just so if something comes off, at least I don't have a 2lb cannnoball of a steel shackle coming at me. Usually I put a tree strap around something like a frame or hitch, then soft shackle that to the bubba rope, then hook the other end of the bubba rope to my pintle hitch (usually with a hard shackle captured in the hitch.

I did rip a tree strap once, pulling a dump truck out after it slipped off the road into a shallow ditch in the snow (roads were covered and packed, got 2-3' in 5-6 hours, plows couldn't keep up). Had the strap wrapped around the front axle through the front bumper, was pulling him fine until we had to turn, then the strap hit the bumper (stamped metal edge), cut like a hot knife through butter, and slung the soft shackle and rope into the back of my tailgate.

I have a small dent there now, but had I used the hard shackle, it probably would have gone right through the tailgate entirely.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Ha since we are into story time now...

That reminds me of something stupid I did recently :lol: We just got natural gas in our neck of the woods and now have the house hooked up to it. The L.P. tank is now gone, but the soft copper line is still in place (roughly 35 feet of it buried from the house to the tank location). My thought was to simply hook on to the line where the tank was and pull it all right out of the ground with my big bad pickup. I used a tow strap (not much stretch, but some) hooked to the hitch, and then just wrapped the copper line around the other end several times. Put the old girl in gear until the strap tightened up and then gave her a little gas... bit of stretching started happening and the line wasn't coming out, so figured maybe this method wasn't going to work (I figured it would just simply slide out of the ground). Just as I was about to abort... I hear a Waaaaaaaapppp! Go out back and check things out... what happened was the copper tube just stretched enough until it ripped in two (the part wrapped around the strap held just fine). Of course, the strap end and small piece of copper slapped the tailgate and barely, if at all, made a slight mark. Made out a lot better than I could have i guess :doh:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot: