Poser Shots in Moab

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Poser Shots in Moab

Post by ramv » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:49 pm

IMG_0842_6d6ef75e19ee995775ba9ec254c597fa.jpeg
IMG_0848_dc989f062d25ce04f68178bf30d88bd7-4.jpeg

Potato Salad Hill and Little Lions Back. Did Ride my dirt bike on the Slickrock Trail. Hells Revenge tomorrow
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Poser Shots in Moab

Post by olyelr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:55 pm

:rockon:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:24 am

Nice dude! You did it right, I wish I had my dirtbike (and that it was plated haha) last time we were there. Want to do it again in May?

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 am

Funny after the fantastic news about Bears Ears being downsized and threatening less core Utah trails yesterday, I started thinking about some the great losses. Mercifully Utah citizens fight back and they have been less then most places. But it made be think of Escalante area lost trails, Gemini Bridges and all the great times crossing the spans and what a unique experience it was, the killer camp site below closed....Then good old Lions Back, although closed due to private land issue instead, closed none the less. Remember an incredible sunset at the top.....Not to mention less people and better camp sites back in the day.

I really want to take my new PW to Moab now! Sadly its too cold now for camping so will have to wait. Well got to get the damn thing first :doh:
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:50 am

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 am
Funny after the fantastic news about Bears Ears being downsized and threatening less core Utah trails yesterday, I started thinking about some the great losses. Mercifully Utah citizens fight back and they have been less then most places. But it made be think of Escalante area lost trails, Gemini Bridges and all the great times crossing the spans and what a unique experience it was, the killer camp site below closed....Then good old Lions Back, although closed due to private land issue instead, closed none the less. Remember an incredible sunset at the top.....Not to mention less people and better camp sites back in the day.

I really want to take my new PW to Moab now! Sadly its too cold now for camping so will have to wait. Well got to get the damn thing first :doh:
I hear April 30 to about May 6 is a good time of year to enjoy Moab :cheers:

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:37 am

Yep, thinking that might be the way to go. Did that with my new 05 Xterra, went to a Nissan Event with it brand new. Even lead Steel Bender. Really want to hit Hole-N-The-Rock next year though, killing me not making it.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:45 am

You can hit it.

Nice shots RAMV, I think you need a feature on https://www.instagram.com/offroadpowerwagon/ if you're game for it.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Only thing on a trail like Hole N The Rock (other then skinny parts like Wilson Mesa and The Rincon) is that shiny new rear bumper dragging over all those ledges. Maybe I will be "One of those guys" with a 6" drop receiver hitch to protect my new bumper :idea:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:38 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:33 pm
Only thing on a trail like Hole N The Rock (other then skinny parts like Wilson Mesa and The Rincon) is that shiny new rear bumper dragging over all those ledges. Maybe I will be "One of those guys" with a 6" drop receiver hitch to protect my new bumper :idea:
Well, your bumper wont be shiny (chrome), so your good to go! :lol:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:06 pm

WTF are you guys talking about? Hole in the Rock is a road in Escalante...
-------
------

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 pm

LOL thats funny. You are "technically" correct. I have navigated the Hole-N-The-Rock trail from Escalante to the official Hole-N-The-Rock, interesting, but Subaru country. Again from Comb Ridge to Lake Canyon. (Cedar Mesa area is not happening in a new truck as the over grown trail is a paint thinner) Scenery is MEH.

Anyhow, that's the boring stuff, just do it for the historical interest. The fun used to begin at the Airport and head in through beautiful Lake Canyon, sadly a 500' wash out ended that.(yes 500' you read that right) And Spear Trail found another section of the historic trail that started at Haunted Mesa or Noki Dome if you will. Litterally a 38 mile bi-pass. Oh, and what a scenic bi-pass it is. From there it is days of the bounciest most entertaining fourwheeling action in Utah, with dramatic ledges and endless climbs.( for example imagine the Escalator on Hells Revenge only 5x as long with killer ledges at top and giant pot holes at bottom) If you are a Golden Spike fan, and I know you are imagine days of things like that and youll have trouble getting your tires off slick rock for very long) And the views are probably the best in Utah. Only trails that maybe come even close at all would be say White Rim and Metal Masher. Typically with the extended distance now I like to drive to the end and camp.(ok the over look, but I did make a sketch drive down a long time ago) Then drive back down to the Rincon and camp on the lake, take a swim and shower. Then head out the third day.

Hole-N-The-Rock is problematic however! Be for warned! Once you do it you''ll go back over and over as it is so addicting :chug:

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Brought up two Hole-N-The-Rock Power Wagon Memories. One 1950s PW used for mining abandoned at a major junction that always seems to get people lost. And a group I met coming in one time dropped a 1950's built PW at Lake Canyon in case they needed it for a recovery.(too rough to use as a regular trail rig) Great guys, ended up bumming some ice( gives you an idea how far back that was!) and I think a quart of oil.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Mike I think we need to plan a Hole N The Rock run for next years gathering. That sounds like bundles of fun.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:03 pm

I still have no idea where this trail is or if it’s even an actual trail. Have a map or an outline or something? Find it hard to believe there is an amazeball trail I can’t even find on traildamage
-------
------

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:31 pm

Hole-N-The-Rock is one of the most classic Utah trails. But not being right in the Moab Zoo, so it see's less use. Surprised its not on Trail damage, but I usually am not looking for new trails. I just kind of drive to them after all these years. The "classic" section starts off HWY 276 that leads to Halls Crossing. The Old Entrance is by Cal Black Memorial Airport. Usually you can drive out onto the run way and grab some fuel.(stay away from the AV gas) but they do tend to run out at times. Camping along the streams in the Lake Canyon area still has merit for meeting up the night before. The new entrance starts off 276 long before. I think there may even be an official trail head with ATV parking somewhere, but I just winged it last time to find the monster bi-pass and never saw it. Who needs maps? :lol: When looking at a map the trail runs from 276 to the point out between the San Juan Arm and Main Channel of lake Powell. That big ole remote piece of Real Estate.

Other then some rear bumper dragging and a couple of tight spots might need some spotting I would think PW's would be just fine. EJS did discontinue this trail a number of years ago due to the fact coordinating a 2-3 day trip away from the rest of EJS up in Moab was a logistically challenging.

There are a lot of things you could do. Run Hole-N-The-Rock then head up to Moab, or wheel from Hole-N-The-Rock to Moab via, Hole-N-The-Rock, Arch Canyon, Hotel Rock, Elk Ridge, Beef Basin, Needles, Lavendar, Lockhart Basin and then Kane Springs. But that is some serious country to cover and would take the entire week.(oh but what a week it is) Or could do Hole-N-The-Rock, stop off at Arch Canyon for a night, and Hit Kane Springs to get up to Moab for some classic trails...

If you decided to run Hole-N-The-Rock I could help with planning and leading that trail.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Here is a sweet map

http://hirf.org/Trail%20Maps/HIR%20Lake ... ap%203.pdf

The 250-mile long trail runs from Parowan in southwestern Utah to Bluff and Montezuma Fort in southeastern Utah. The road was blazed during the winter of 1879-80 by 70 families who were answering a call from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to establish a settlement in the Four Corners region. The first eight-five miles of their route from Parowan, Utah, to Escalante, Utah, was over established wagon roads. From Escalante, Utah, the last established town along their route, the colonizers blasted a trail through the Colorado River gorge, descended crevices, and crossed deep ravines, mountains, deserts, and forests - terrain so inhospitable many of their own scouts deemed it as impassable.

By the time they reached their destination, they had been en route twice as long as it took some the same participants to pull handcarts 1300 miles to the Salt Lake Valley.

Once completed, the wagon road provided a vitial access and supply link. The road was utilized in its entirety for one year. In 1881, Charles Hall, who operated the ferry at the bottom of the Hole-in-the-Rock, moved his ferry thirty miles upstream, where he established Hall's Crossing. Although Hall's Crossing bypassed the Hole-in-the-Rock crevice, major sections of the original wagon road were utilized in conjunction with the new river crossing.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:39 pm

Oh, that is the road is down there... way-way further south down by Powell. Interesting, I didn't realize that was technical. That explains why it's not on Trail Damage or in other places. I was assuming a much shorter trail within the greater Moab region. Shorter being under 100 miles.

That's too much of a stretch for PWIM though. Not ideal for our time frame, or noobs and lack of resources out there.

Sounds cool though, I'll have to put this on my personal list next to the Utah Traverse. Thanks for sharing.

:cheers:
Last edited by OffroadTreks on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------
------

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 pm

That sounds insanely fun!

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 am

Hall's Ferry is a fun ride on its own, it's nice to see the lakeshore. Hwy 276 is probably the most boring road I've ever driven, maybe I was just tired, but but that area off-road would be a super cool area to explore. We almost did a similar trail out of Escalante on the north side but didn't have the time. If you're making the time the Henry Mountains just north of there are fun and pretty remote.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 am

Then there is always the Maze. Not any challenge, but some pretty country and very remote. The trick is not to get suckered into thinking Moab is all there is. Never looked at Trail Damage really, but I see off hand they have Golden Spike on there. Hole-N-The-Rock is only a little harder then that. I think its just more they are incomplete.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:39 pm

There is a lot in Utah as a whole. But wasn't the title of your thread "Poser Shots in Moab" - thus Moab discussion :thppt:

The maze is pretty cool too. We have 13 trails and one overnighter picked out already though.
-------
------

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Look, you post Moab pictures what the hell do you expect? Especially in winter. :rockon: :winchmob:

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:14 am

Steelbender2.jpg
Steelbender.

I have never done Hole in the Rock. I would really like to. I have driven pretty much every Moab trail including many defunct (Proving Grounds, Coyote Canyon) but very few others in Utah (not counting around Price and the Bookcliffs for work.)
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000