Tire chains

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Tire chains

Post by TankerZak » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:40 am

I have some heavy link U class chains for the rear tires. Was thinking of getting chains for the front but it doesn't seem to be approved by the manual. Any thoughts? I was looking at some S class peerless Z8 SZ492. Just some easy to install cables to use on the rear for light duty or move to the front when i put the serious chains on the rear.
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Tire chains

Post by TankerZak » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:06 pm

No one? No one knows the spacing for chains on the front tires?
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Sorry, the only tire chains I have ever used are the ones on my snowblower and the Big Red 3 wheeler I had.

I cant imagine driving on roads that require chains. Are chains better than studded tires?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:51 pm

olyelr wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 pm
I cant imagine driving on roads that require chains. Are chains better than studded tires?
In the sort of conditions that would warrant an MT tire in the summer, chains would be better in the frozen winter. Hard packed ice and snow offroad.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:12 am

We don't get enough snow here for studs. Not consistent enough. But we do get ice. I didnt need them last year but my tires were new and freshley sipped. Chains are pretty normal out west. I have one set of chains that is serious. Links, no rubber, thick for busting ice. But sometimes something lighter and easier to toss on might be easier and could go on the front tires.

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:20 pm

What year truck do you have? And what size tires? What rims?

I run studded snows in the winter but there is no replacement for chains in the spring and fall. Just switched to toyo MTs and they are great but once they get worn down and or I'm towing in the mountains, let's put it this way, never will be without them.

I can clear 7mm HD chains from tire chains.com with +26mm offset and 37"x12.5" tires but wish I went bigger now that I have tested them on brand new mud terrains. With stock non PW tires I knicked the ebrake cables, and did not have clearance up front for vbars.

When I win the lottery I'm getting a set of these (and I believe I can clear them):
http://chainstop.com/rud-tire-chains/pi ... ns-1-pair/

We just had the best winter in a generation for snow fall, I chase storms for skiing, and I've never used chains on the highway. Only in September and October elk woods and only a few times. But it's miserable without them not to mention risky especially if towing. But if your in the pac northwest, I can see that, those ice storms are nuts...
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo MT -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm on Toyo RT 35x12.5R17, stock rims, and its a 2016. No leveling or anything. I did put in boogie bump stops in the front and airlift ultimate airbags with daystar craddles in the back but overall stance is the same. I think can s class chains fit in the front of a PW with 35s on it is the crux of the question.

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:46 pm

I am a 2005; run 35 x 12.5 x 17 w Open Country AT II extreme's; use VBDT 3831 twist link on the rear & 2337D diamond pattern 3.8 m square cross link cables on the fronts; not had a problem over several years in Cascades in Oregon; good for snow and ice,,,

We run Open country AT II Extremes 35 x 12.5 x 17's; front chains we use are diamond pattern cable chains with 3.8m square cross link w/band tightners; rear we use VBDR 3831 Cam cross links with Cam tightners; think they are either 5 mm or 7 mm; cannot recall; but have had good luck over the past several years with limited off road useage in the High Cascades of Oregon on compact snow and ice and in deeper snow. The cable chains work well on roads with compact snow and ice (if required),,not sure of setbacks but run stock PW wheels; Got the set up from discussions with Les Schwab and General Tire dealers where we live,,,,work well for us,,,but are not HARD CORE off roaders,,,,no clearance issues; no rubbing on the turns etc.
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker motors,sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:52 pm

Sorry for the big gap; took the dogs out and thought I had not included the first part so started over,,,dumber than a log sometimes,,,,
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker motors,sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

machete-lc
Model Year: 2015

Post by machete-lc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:28 pm

LOL, I was waiting for the pictures to load! Good one.
2015 Tradesman. 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, White Knuckle Sliders/Steps, Abel Components Nanny Delete, Locker Bypass, Swaybar Bypass, Dethloff Skid Plate, Snug Top Rebel Topper, Decked Bed Storage, front and rear Thuren Trackbars, Fox ATS-Steering Stabilizer, Thuren .5 inch coils, Fox 2.0 shocks front and rear

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 am

Mule007 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:52 pm
Sorry for the big gap; took the dogs out and thought I had not included the first part so started over,,,dumber than a log sometimes,,,,
You don't still live in Oregon do you?

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Yes, live about 30 miles east of Woodburn; between Molalla and Estacada, foothills of the Cascades,,,,

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:48 pm

You live fairly close to me and DamageWagon i think...

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Cool,,,hope the chain info helps,,,,where about are you located ?

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm in Wilsonville and DamageWagon i believe is somewhere in Tualatin, i think...

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Any pictures with chains? The ice storm this morning got me thinking. (Not that I had any problems in 4wd, but doubt I could have pulled the Super Duty that was stuck.)

Thinking y QG2228CAM Quik Grip Light Truck CAM LSH Tire Traction Chain - for the rear and SZ486 Super Z8 8mm Commercial and Light Truck Tire Traction Chain for the front. Does this seem logical? Any body running these? Overkill, should i just do one pair?

https://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-chai ... chains/682
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm

I use Pewag 7mm square link chains with cams. The heavy duty ones, front and rears. I wanted a pair of heavy duty square links and a lighter pair of pattern chains, but my dealer didn't have anything light duty that would fit 35" tires. Next time I put them on I'll try to remember to take a pic if it's light outside.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks. Any clearance issues with 35”s up front? That’s why i was leaning towards the cables
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Can't turn to full lock. Haven't looked yet to see if they're rubbing the sway bar or the radius arm (probably the sway bar), every time I put them on or take them off I'm going somewhere and I'm in a hurry. Not that big of a deal, just makes the tight turn into my driveway a three point turn now. That's the only turn where I've heard rubbing and it's a tight turn that normally requires full lock.

I'll have some free time when I get back home this weekend. I'll find a nice flat dry spot to put them on and do some checking and picture taking.
John
Alaska
My build thread

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 pm

Great, so sounds like the cable chains might be the way to go up front, and the twist links or better out back?

Figure the front has plenty of weight (traction) and the rear has plenty of axle if it hooks up hard.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:10 pm

That was my guess. I'd just like to find someone with clearance pics from lock to lock..

continuecrushing
Model Year: 2014

Post by continuecrushing » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:53 pm

I just posted this in one of the fb groups, but does anyone have solid ladder vs. diamond chain recommendations? It seemed that ladder is best for the hardcore offroad stuff, while diamond is great all around (and smoother too).

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:46 am

I ordered two sets of the Z486s. Peerless rated them a better traction than the chains, and easier to install, so figured it was better to have ones I was more likely to put on. My concerns are mainly ice, and chain laws on the roads so should be adequate.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:29 pm

35x12.5R17 Toyo C/Ts, 40 psi front, 35 psi rear. I lose 1/4 turn of the wheel, where the fronts rub on the swaybar ends (first) and the radius arm knuckles. I live up a valley in south central Alaska and it can be a while before the sand trucks get up here when it's icy, so these things are well worth having.

I'm thinking about ordering a set of diamond chains for a smoother ride when I need to do more miles
Attachments
a6500-1605.jpg
a6500-1599.jpg
a6500-1600.jpg
a6500-1603.jpg
John
Alaska
My build thread

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:37 pm

:rockon: :cheers:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot: