Pennzoil Ultra Platinum rebate (for guys with the 6.4l)

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
S3Rc51

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum rebate (for guys with the 6.4l)

Post by S3Rc51 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Stumbled on this on Amazon. $2 off per quart takes a bit of the sting off since this one of only two oils that meets the spec for our engine. $48 limit per person/address (4 cases). Valid until the end of the year. Figured I'd pass it on.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 21892_.pdf

Amazon also has the 6qt case for $54.50, $9.08 per quart ($7.08 after rebate). Can't beat that. :rockon:

https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-5500408 ... dpSrc=srch
2017 Power Wagon, Delivered 2/6/17
2005 Neon SRT-4 ACR
2005 Honda RC51
1978 International Scout Traveler
1973 International Scout II
2010 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Ultimate for the wife

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum rebate (for guys with the 6.4l)

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Still too expensive, that stuff is shit.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:52 pm

Amsoil
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:45 am

Yep, although its not cheap, I have been using amsoil too.

Quieted down the obnoxiously loud ticking noise that the motor made straight off the showroom floor.
Last edited by olyelr on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:40 am

Yellow death has always scared me. Maybe its not as bad for your engine as it used to be, have not looked at it in 25 years. But boy do they have a reputation to escape.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:28 pm

Which amsoil product are you guys using?
Does it meet the same requirements as the pennzoil?
ONE SHOT, ONE KILL, NO EXCEPTIONS
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:30 pm

“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:17 pm

HeavyDuty wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:28 pm
This stuff https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/ ... e=AZFQT-EA

But to be honest, there is a lot of good oil on the market and there is nothing that says you can't use oils that do not adhere to the OE's MS12633 specification for warranty purposes. I haven't decided if I'm going to continue to use Amsoil because of cost but I am certainly not going to use PUP because of the poor quality.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:43 pm

HeavyDuty wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:30 pm
:rofl:

Meets and exceeds.

This is primarily why I run it. And the filters are good to 15k, which comes in handy when you discover your stupid bumper makes it impossible to remove the oil filter. :angry:
2017-11-12-17.00.42.jpg
-------
------

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Looks like pretty expensive snake oil to me :cash:
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:06 pm

HeavyDuty wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:22 pm
Looks like pretty expensive snake oil to me :cash:
Did you seriously just refer to Amsoil as snake oil? :rofl:

S3Rc51 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Amazon also has the 6qt case for $54.50, $9.08 per quart ($7.08 after rebate). Can't beat that. :rockon:

https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-5500408 ... dpSrc=srch

$9.08 for a known garbage brand vs $8.90 for top tier, how is that expensive? The rebate is only slightly better. But the savings isn't' up front.
Amazon_com__Pennzoil_550040856-6PK_Ultra_Platinum_0W-40_Full_Synthetic_Motor_Oil_-_1_Quart__Case_of_6___Automotive.png
_orders_amsoil_com__-.png
Plus my filter, which was 12.00 so, still cheaper.
-------
------

S3Rc51

Post by S3Rc51 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:53 pm

The SRT filter which is a pretty damn good filter is only 12 bucks on Amazon as well. I got a M1 from my lps. If you're spending $14 for that 7th single quart, when it's half that price in the case, then yes, you've just negated the entire savings lol.

Nothing wrong with the Pennzoil Ultra, it's a totally decent oil. I'd use Mobil one if it had the correct spec. I'll use it or the OEM oil, until other options that meet the spec come out or my warranty runs out (lifetime, you can do the math). Only people I see that say that Pennzoil ultra is garbage are people just arbitrarily making up their minds about this kind of stuff. How much research have you done in it? How much of it have you sent off for analysis?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u ... er=2426083

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u ... num,_5W-30

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u ... er=2964441

May not be everybody's cup of tea, but that really doesn't matter. Run whatever you want in your truck. This post wasn't intended to be the one millionth "this versus that" oil thread on the internet. Just trying to pass a little deal on to my fellow forum members. If you can/want to take advantage of it and appreciate the effort, right on. If not, move along.
2017 Power Wagon, Delivered 2/6/17
2005 Neon SRT-4 ACR
2005 Honda RC51
1978 International Scout Traveler
1973 International Scout II
2010 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Ultimate for the wife

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:06 pm

S3Rc51 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Nothing wrong with the Pennzoil Ultra, it's a totally decent oil.
You can hear an audible difference between PUP and other brands of oil in the Ram 6.4L. Cold start lifter ticks and knocks are common with PUP.
S3Rc51 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:53 pm
Only people I see that say that Pennzoil ultra is garbage are people just arbitrarily making up their minds about this kind of stuff.
Spend more time on the SRT forums and you'll find that every major oil has been sent to Blackstone Labs for analysis. PUP routinely has the poorest qualities at the end of the oil's service life. There is tons of data available on this subject.

As far as your warranty is concerned, here is what the owners manual says:
Engine Oil Viscosity — 6.4L Engine
Use MOPAR SAE 0W-40 engine oil approved to FCA
Material Standard MS-12633 such as Pennzoil Ultra
equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures.
The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment”
in this section.
Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification
mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number
should not be used.
Pay very close attention to the language used. Ram does not expressly forbid the use of oil that does not carry the MS-12633 certification. However, Amsoil does carry the certification.

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks 53RC51. It seems people like to spout out comments about an oil they for some reason don’t like. With no evidence to prove it. Jut that “granddaddy never did like that stuff”. Lol. The tests and evidence don’t lie. Just because an oil company sponsors all sorts of race cars doesn’t make them good. Don’t get me wrong. I’m sure amsoil is a good oil. But it is def not worth the money. Your just paying for all the commercials and adds. Science doesn’t lie
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:40 am

Exactly. Science doesnt lie.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Science doesn't lie.

scoutpappa
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by scoutpappa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:13 pm

So...about 5k on the engine (hate people calling it a motor), about half a quart low and looking at using one of the dealership free oil changes I got with purchase. Only two oils meet the spec I keep seeing but I have lifter tick on some startups. I have older vehicles (scouts, IH) that I use diesel oil in for the ZDDP and they don't tick on startup. What oil is the best. I do have the Mopar lifetime warranty so that is a consideration as well. Next month is Big Bend so 600 miles towing a pop up as well as trails. I want the best as I plan on keeping this one at least two years longer than my last ram, so 10+ years.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:34 pm

scoutpappa wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:13 pm
So...about 5k on the engine (hate people calling it a motor), about half a quart low and looking at using one of the dealership free oil changes I got with purchase. Only two oils meet the spec I keep seeing but I have lifter tick on some startups. I have older vehicles (scouts, IH) that I use diesel oil in for the ZDDP and they don't tick on startup. What oil is the best. I do have the Mopar lifetime warranty so that is a consideration as well. Next month is Big Bend so 600 miles towing a pop up as well as trails. I want the best as I plan on keeping this one at least two years longer than my last ram, so 10+ years.
My first oil change I used amsoil (and have continued to use since). The obnoxiously loud lifter tic has been gone ever since.

I too have the lifetime warranty. Now at 15k miles and the truck has yet to go to the dealer for any service work. Maybe I am screwing mysef over, I dont know. But in my mind they will have to prove me wrong to deny any warranty work because of it.

scoutpappa
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by scoutpappa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:08 pm

That's the thing. I had the lifetime on my previous ram and with the takeover it was stated that they were always looking for reasons to deny a claim regardless of the coverage.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 pm

No no, the science doesn't lie. Your clattering engine is just proof it's working. Trust the results of passenger car lab results from completely different weight oils and plainly contradictory oil-phite forum posts.

Hold on, where's that eye-rolling emoji.

Found it.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

If Amsoil is a waste of money and lab results from Mobile 1 0w-40 show it is equivalent to PUP, what's that make PUP? The irony in this thread is...ironic.

scoutpappa
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by scoutpappa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:19 pm

so...i can use the euro spec mobile one 0w 40 and not have to worry about ordering penzoil ultra

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Fact: There is no shortage of people to give good or bad reviews on just about everything. Dealers have a zillion ways to void any lifetime warranty. My lifetime powertrain warranty states it has to be brought in every 5 years & inspected for fluid leaks. Failure to do so voids the warranty. Also states that if they find any leaks, they have to be repaired BEFORE it leaves the shop, or warranty will be void. Hoops, hoops & more hoops to jump through. So, if I have a leaking trans gasket, that only ever drips once in a blue moon-but never enough to need to add fluid, they may want $5000 for the repair. Would I do that ? No, never.

I have not met anyone that has had an engine go bad & seize up from any oil, ever, in any engine, that was not caused by something else breaking at no fault of the oil. I think it is safe to say there is a LOT of good oil out there. Where Amsoil get a bad rap is: availability-at least around here. It is like finding a needle in a haystack. Even "Amsoil Dealers" usually only stock to fill what they sell. No one by me ever has the SS motor oil in stock and the filters at the same time. Yes, I suppose you can order it through the mail, but you can order everything through the mail & if we all did that, then why leave the house at all ? I am from the generation that wants to go to the store, see it, buy it, come home & git-er-done. There are sure a lot of no-no's that have been done with great results. I ran Shell Rotella full syn 5w-40 in our 04' Corolla since new. It now is rocking 185,000+ & the girl we sold it to loves it & says it still runs like a champ. I have used a few other kinds in it as well. Castrol Edge, Mobil 1 15,000 mile, & I think PU Platinum. It all worked great.

I changed the transmission oil on my truck the 2nd day I had it from brand new, w/198 miles on it. Why ? It shifted like shit. Oil seemed way too thin & would totally drip/drain off metal overnight. I refilled with 3 qts of Lucas Lube 140w gear oil & 3 qts of Mopar ATF+4. Shifted GREAT after that. 3 years later, LOTS of people were switching to a thicker oil in the G-56. Some ran straight 140w in them. They shifted GREAT, according to the people who did it. Dealers said it voided the warranty. No one could possibly be smarter than the people who spec'd water thin ATF+4 right ? No one could have purposely done that to accelerate wear & increase business, right ? Then, someone uncovered the German spec's for the exact same trans, & it was 50w Mobil Delvac. I am no expert, but I feel safe to think straight 50w is a LOT thicker than ATF+4. ATF+4 is a high quality full synthetic fluid but it is as thin as water.

If you absolutely, positively have to have peace of mind, you can send in used oil samples or just change the oil more frequently. The cost is about a wash. $30+ for samples I think. 2 samples & you have an oil change. 6 of 1/half dozen of the other.

Racers want to win. If something was total junk, they would not use it . I know someone who owns a motorsports store. He said that they could ALWAYS tell when a snowmobiler used Amsoil in the 2 strokes if they ever had to tear it down for any reason. He said there was almost zero carbon build up inside them. Now that was 20 yrs ago too. Lots of oils win races. Pick your poison ! :lol:

I actually worked with a guy, for 28 yrs, who was an "Amsoil Dealer". He had a GM pickup, that he bought new. The beauty of working at a Prison with 400 employee's & another right next door with another 400 employee's is, you find out if something is just a fluke or many have the same problem. Anyways, his truck had Amsoil SSeries & filter put in since new & thats what he ran. at 18k his truck started using oil---badly. 1 qt every 1000 miles. GM blamed the oil in his case. But there were others, many others. We had 6 at our Prison & 7 next door. All the 5.3, all different excuses, all blamed the customer except 1, who had his selling dealer do every bit of the service & used the "GM" oil, yet his still used 5 qts in between changes !!! :wtf: --at that rate, why change the oil at all---ever ? Just change the filter & call it done. They also said it was normal & to return 1x per week to let them check it--free of charge--& add any--free of charge !!! :wtf: wants to do that ? So, anyways, I told him if I were him, I would never EVER buy GM again. He did, traded it in, $65k later, he had a new truck, with a new payment, that used the same oil in between changes !!! :doh:

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm

I've run three vehicles to over 200k miles on amsoil signature series 0w-30 and now 0w40. That's with 10-15k mile oil change and mobil 1 filters.

56k miles on the '16 PW, no problems and I don't expect any unless there was a factory defect. I'm probably past that period. I expect 200k out of the hemi.

Maybe I was just lucky? :D

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:51 pm

No, you weren't. Amsoil is a GREAT product. It was an inherent problem with those GM engines---NOT the oil. It is stories "like that" that do the damage to a brand. I have used Amsoil myself, with no issues. Many people BLAME "oil-x", if it will take blame off the Manufacturer---even though there is a known issue.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:06 pm

I think some of us were just saying we choose Amsoil over the Penz because it's a top-tier brand with a good reputation. Relax your sphincters.

As to statements about something being garbage, that is simply an opinion based on reputation. Like FRAM oil filters are garabge. There are lots of things that are "good enough" until they're not. I'm sure a Walmart Everstart battery is "good enough" until the day it's not. And that's usually the difference. I'm sure for some folks, good enough will always be good enough. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw.

:popcorn:
TwinStick wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 pm
I actually worked with a guy, for 28 yrs, who was an "Amsoil Dealer". He had a GM pickup, that he bought new. The beauty of working at a Prison with 400 employee's & another right next door with another 400 employee's is, you find out if something is just a fluke or many have the same problem. Anyways, his truck had Amsoil S-Series & filter put in since new & that's what he ran. at 18k his truck started using oil---badly. 1 qt every 1000 miles. GM blamed the oil in his case. But there were others, many others. We had 6 at our Prison & 7 next door. All the 5.3, all different excuses, all blamed the customer except 1, who had his selling dealer do every bit of the service & used the "GM" oil, yet his still used 5 qts in between changes !!!

I'm guessing your story is from a long time ago, and not recently...

Amsoil and some others like Mobile 1 even Royal Purple can actually be bad for some of GM's older engines, 350 5.7's and 5.3's and those old 305's depending on the rear main seal. Bunch of others I can't recall right now, it's a known problem. Makes sense they'd blame the oil though. GM had a known issue with rear seals being freaking crap and leaking like crazy, this is why on some of their motors petroleum base was better. I had an old 1987 IROC-Z and I thought Mobile 1 would be way better than the dino oil the guy before me was using. And lo and behold the rear main seal started leaking shortly after.

I was a GM guy for life before buying my first RAM in 2014 and I've rebuilt several 350's in my lifetime. :p

My most recent one was my Corvette, which also had a leaky rear main seal. It's a common problem. It's not really the brand of the oil, so much GM sucking. :cheers:
2012-12-10 18.47.36.jpg
Last edited by OffroadTreks on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------
------