Power Wagon Does not Make It

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Power Wagon Does not Make It

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:06 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI-ymLQmm9s

Notice how they just try to crawl it with the PW, but use momentum with the other two? Or how he just keeps driving back in the same holes instead of around them like the other 2? These guys usually do better!
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Re: Power Wagon Does not Make It

Post by whitey » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:24 am

Their opinion is no better than any other off road novice. A few foot of one trail shouldn't be the deciding factor of any rig. Yes one of the power wagon's weaknesses is it's lack of floatation. In this case you are right that they had different drivers, driving differently with different tires. In my opinion it takes a lot of work to get an IFS to work really well off road. A full front axle is much easier to deal with and get flexing. That in itself rules out me wanting a raptor or ZR1. I live on the East coast and have no reason to want a Baja set up. Oh and for what it's worth they aren't going to break a power wagon on 33's. Go under all three trucks and look at the differences there too. The Raptor has all kinds of lines and cables hanging in vulnerable places...not the power wagon. If I lived by Pismo Beach in Ca then I might think of the Raptor or ZR1 but I still doubt I'd switch.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:38 am

Call a spade a spade! The Power Wagon didn’t make it on the tougher line. No need to make a lot of excuses :wink:
On a different day, any one of those trucks might have failed too.
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:06 am

Mr. Powerwagon, Nathan was a bit humbled and not too happy about that. That line and loose rock was better suited to the lighter trucks. He could have applied power and made it up by destroying the trail. Larger (MT) tires would have also helped.

And the PW will do this over, and over, and over again without breaking anything. Not sure about the other two.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Yup, driver & their driving style makes a HUGE difference. I have seen many a experienced driver "no-lockers" atv's easily make obstacle's that a fully locked inexperienced driver could not make. Just the PW's luck that day that it had a driver with "crawl mode" on the brain, instead of "I need a little momentum for this" on the brain. It happens. BUT, if it happened to all of them, how many trucks could self extract themselves ? Just 1, the Power Wagon, only winch of the bunch. Just sayin'. :lol:

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:37 pm

I saw this video on another forum and in my opinion the failure is it's a combination of the OEM tires being small for such a heavy truck and the driver not picking the right line up the hill.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:32 pm

It's not really the tires, so much as Nathans driving. You'll notice the other two trucks used more momentum. Nathan crawls up to that area where he starts to lose traction then starts flooring it and spins and spings. The PW couldn't make it because you suck at driving. Not because the truck is too heavy.

A dead give away to not knowing what he was doing was his little locker problem at the start. Why are you turning on front and rear lockers before you need them? I've never started a trail with my lockers engaged. It's completely silly.

Could of done it on those stock 33's. Gotta know how to drive.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Probably could have done it without the lockers too.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm

I doubt it with out lockers. Those loose and steep hills can be tough.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:10 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm
I doubt it with out lockers. Those loose and steep hills can be tough.

Yea, you never know i guess. Videos do make everything look 10 times easier, thats for sure. But, on relatively flat ground lockers dont really do all that much. Im sure power would be zinging back and forth to all 4 wheels the majority of the time on a climb like that unless there was a lot of articulation.

A little more momentum and he would have probably charged right up. Instead of backing up 10 feet and flooring it he should have backed up 100 feet and got some more momentum again.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:59 pm

The worst hill like this I ever saw was the end of Isham Canyon in Death Valley. But the most well known, spectacular and obvious is Thompsen Hill on the Dusy, where its twice as steep with boulders the size of TVs that roll. God I love that hill :twisted:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:43 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:59 pm
The worst hill like this I ever saw was the end of Isham Canyon in Death Valley. But the most well known, spectacular and obvious is Thompsen Hill on the Dusy, where its twice as steep with boulders the size of TVs that roll. God I love that hill :twisted:

:lol:

Sounds sketchy... at best!

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Bunch of dorks.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:46 am

olyelr wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:43 pm
FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:59 pm

:lol:

Sounds sketchy... at best!
A longgg time ago me and my buddy were hitting the Dusy and stopped at NAPA in Shaver Lake for some propane in my little 2dr Montero.(with a boat on the roof) The guy at the counter asked if we could take someone up to Thompson Hill that had broken down and spent days hiking out for parts. I asked what he broke....He had to take a new driveshaft, t case and rear diff back up! No way we had room for all that. This Chevy was parked near the bottom and was BRAND NEW with lift and tires! No straight body panels left either.

While the Dusy Ershim is famous for Epic fails if you google it, I only experienced one, compared to say many on Fordyce. A built 3rd Gen FourRunner in my group broke EVERYTHING before Thompson Hill and came out as scrap metal. That was shocking.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:46 am

A longgg time ago me and my buddy were hitting the Dusy and stopped at NAPA in Shaver Lake for some propane in my little 2dr Montero.(with a boat on the roof) The guy at the counter asked if we could take someone up to Thompson Hill that had broken down and spent days hiking out for parts. I asked what he broke....He had to take a new driveshaft, t case and rear diff back up! No way we had room for all that. This Chevy was parked near the bottom and was BRAND NEW with lift and tires! No straight body panels left either.

While the Dusy Ershim is famous for Epic fails if you google it, I only experienced one, compared to say many on Fordyce. A built 3rd Gen FourRunner in my group broke EVERYTHING before Thompson Hill and came out as scrap metal. That was shocking.
Well I might just have to do some youtubein' tonight hahahaha.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:23 pm

There are some fun ones. Its my 3rd favorite trail.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:57 am

At the end of the day. None of the rigs they ever compare the Power Wagon too can pull my 8500lb trailer. So PW wins every time.
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Part of the reason I chose the PW over the Raptor was towing capacity because occasionally rent heavy equipment, and the Raptor has too low a capacity.