Idle Up Feature for winching

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Idle Up Feature for winching

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Yeh, I know I ordered twin Alternators, but at idle you still get limited juice. Chatting with my mechanic today over my next old truck break down waiting on the PW. (key security thingy I guess) And he mentioned how common idle control is on HD trucks. Truly had no idea....Anyways no one uses winches but us and tow trucks, and a few of the Diesel guys use idle for warm up. From what I can tell this feature was only on Chassis cabs....then you got if it was flashed in by stealer.....Now it appears it may be standard issue 2500 and up but still pay to play on 1500? Am I correct? Gen 4 guys anyways do you set your idle up with the cruise control for winching and was it all good to go or did the stealer have to enable it? If so I will ask these guys to flash it in for free due to the ridiculous delays. All these modern hidden features are crazy!
:winchmob:

For reference;

ADJUSTABLE IDLE SPEED INSTRUCTIONS
2/12/15
This feature is available on all 2500, 3500 4500 and 5500 trucks with 6.4L Gas and 6.7L
diesel engines equipped with automatic transmissions. It is also available on 4500 and
5500 trucks with the 6.7L diesel engine and manual transmission if the vehicle is
equipped with PTO prep. (Sales Code LBN or LBV) It has been developed to aid in cabin
heating / cooling or enhance stationary PTO capability by elevating the idle speed upon
operator command through the steering wheel mounted cruise switches.
Vehicle Required Hardware/Software
If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission:

Original equipment cruise switches
If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission

Original equipment cruise switches

Clutch up-stop switch wired to the PCM (Standard with PTO Prep)

PTO Prep Equipped (Sales Codes LBN or LBV)
Operation:
Pre-engagement vehicle requirements:
The vehicle must be in Park (automatic transmission).
Vehicle speed must be less than 2 mph (manual transmission).
Brake pedal must not be depressed.
Clutch pedal is not depressed (manual transmission)
Parking brake must be (manual transmission)
No active speed or engine faults present (Check Engine lamp on)
To engage, the operator first presses the

Cruise On

cruise control switch. The Cruise
light will come on in the cluster. Then press and release the

Set

switch (just like you
would do when operating the cruise control feature). This will activate the feature and
set the engine idle speed to 1100 rpm

s.
At this point the operator may choose to

ramp

up or down the idle speed. To ramp
up, press and hold the RES / ACCEL (right hand side) cruise switch. Maximum idle speed
(while feature is active) is 1500 rpm

s. At any point while the idle speed is ramping up
the operator may release the RES / ACCEL switch and the idle speed will stabilize at the
value shown on the tachometer.
ADJUSTABLE IDLE SPEED INSTRUCTIONS
2/12/15
To ramp down the procedure is the same as when ramping up except, that the operator
will press and hold the COAST cruise switch. Minimum idle speed (while feature is
active) is 1100 rpm

s.
When the Idle Up feature is engaged it can be disabled (turned off) by several ways:
The cruise cancel switch can be pressed.
Cruise off switch can be pressed.
Vehicle brake pedal can be depressed.
Move the PRNDL (gear select lever) from Park (automatic vehicle only)
Vehicle speed greater than 2 mph (manual vehicle only)
Clutch pedal is depressed (manual vehicle only)
When this feature is disabled from any method then the idle speed will revert back to
the standard vehicle idle speed. The cruise lamp will stay on until the cruise off switch is
pressed even though the Idle Up feature has been disabled.
The Idle Up feature is the lowest priority between it and PTO operation. If at any time
during active Idle up the PTO on/off switch is activated the control will be given over to
the PTO feature. For example, if the idle up is active and the idle speed has been set to
1400 rpm

s and then the PTO on/off switch is activated the idle speed will return to 900
rpm

s (Stationary PTO mode). If all conditions are met to engage the PTO, the idle up
feature can then be used to ramp up the idle speed again to the desired level. If any of
the disable conditions are met, the PTO switch must be cycled off then back on before
the Idle Up can be used again
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: Idle Up Feature for winching

Post by RustyPW » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:59 pm

My '09 motorhome with a 6.7 Cumins has this. It's simple to use. Start engine, engage cruise. hold foot on pedal at the rpm you want, hit the speed hold on the cruise. And you're set. To disengage. Hit brake pedal.

Glad to see this on the trucks now. :rockon:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 pm

I've used the auto idle and idle up for years. Had it since 08. Cruise on hit set. Idles up. Want higher hold accel. Want lower hit decel. Thought this was common knowledge....
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 pm

New to a NOOB with out a truck like me :secret:
Last edited by FordyceCreekTrail on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:45 am

This has been a Cummins feature for years, but not the Hemi. They advertised this as a feature on the Sterling Bullet with the Hemi and PTO package.
This company sells a high idle controller for 2007 to current hemi applications.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:25 am

I wonder if the dealer can flash it in then? Because it shows all 6.4 gas engines have this feature available. It may just be enabled on the Chassis cabs. But computer is the same.....

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by Easttnrhino » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 am

This sounds like a great feature, I have 2017 please let me know if its a dealer reflash or already there I have already tried the above and that did not work. Thanks
Enjoying beautiful east TN

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:45 am
This has been a Cummins feature for years, but not the Hemi. They advertised this as a feature on the Sterling Bullet with the Hemi and PTO package.
This company sells a high idle controller for 2007 to current hemi applications.

Anyone know how much this product is $$$ ? It's Saturday, no answer on the phone #.

And then there is the economy versions: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P9CP5O/re ... B0002SRF5S

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:45 am
Yes since the 2007.5 model. But it was a dealer activatable flash in 2008. I had it done to my 06.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Alright, will tell them its a freebie for waiting at least 2x as long as a normal order.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:32 am

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:06 pm
Alright, will tell them its a freebie for waiting at least 2x as long as a normal order.

I thought two months was normal wait time for an order?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:42 am

Found this PDF on RamTrucks.com. The last line on the PDF has direct application to this thread and is sad if true.

"The idle up function is not available and cannot be added to any other than the vehicles listed above. It is not available on Pickup trucks." :cry:

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:19 pm

I saw that one as well. So there are 2 different ones out there. But we know diesel guys have it so obviously pick ups do have it. I bet its in all but the 5.7 at least.....So what tech dude with Ram could we trust for a straight answer?

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:21 pm

I will see if I can get ahold of the guy that did my 06. Haven't talked to him in almost 10 years but you never know. I do know the used the starscan but they now are using a different system. Took him about an hour to figure out how to do it. We also disabled the drl and set the fogs to always on. I'll shoot him an email and see if I get a response

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Awesome. My skid plates shipped also so I might be asking for that also....

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:37 am

If this is a dealer flash I'd get it done too. Wish they could adjust TPM while at it.. i still need to go to the dealer and see if they can add dual alternators. It's the one upgrade i didn't get that i wanted. Honestly this truck shouldn't even be available without dual alternators with that winch...
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 am

Biggest winch so far I have had is 10K. But lets be perfectly clear, never been a fan of Warn Winches. Back when I started winching in the late 80s early 90's you had Ramsey and Warn. And either would last 0-3 uses(0 was COMMON for Warn, even rescued a ranger with a new, un-used, dead Warn) then need to be thrown away, not worth even rebuilding. (yes Warn had an old winch that is famous to this day, but not built then) Those winches had staggering electric draws as well. For years I went to slow hydraulic winches. Then other companies started rolling out quality winches. I own a T-max for example.(other then crappy remote no issues) Years after Warn started rolling out an endless ocean of new models, finally leading to very reliable, durable and water proof ones. All be it at a premium cost.

Anyhow no vehicle can handle these larger winches with out some upgrade. But contrast the 12K T-max vs Warn, 370 vs 440 amps. So this Warn is hungry for Amps. With Duals it will only be a 60 amp difference with some throttle. That is not bad at all. I agree, even with a less hungry winch duals for the cost should be standard. And maybe checking that box gets you the idle up flash as well....Oh and you want to go 16.5Ti? Thats a 507 max amp draw :jawdrop: And you want to have some lights on at night while winching.... :P

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Stealer service says they are game to play around with the computer when it comes in, will let you know how it goes. Going to beat them up for that, slider and skid install

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:37 pm

I'm excited to hear what a dealership thinks of installing one of these Trans skids. Wonder if they'll read the directions?

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:17 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:37 pm
I'm excited to hear what a dealership thinks of installing one of these Trans skids. Wonder if they'll read the directions?
Pfffft, real men don't read directions

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Are you saying you are gonna try to get the dealer to install your sliders ans skid plate? :shock: Whats the fun in that?!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:58 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Ha. I always gander at them for a bit to determine how important they are. Sometimes not reading the directions can really fawk ya over.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:49 pm

olyelr wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 pm
Are you saying you are gonna try to get the dealer to install your sliders ans skid plate? :shock: Whats the fun in that?!
I have very expensive Pedicures :lol: Its funny I don't do jack on my rigs at home. But stuck 3 days into the Sierra Nevada wilderness I will rebuild anything to get home :chug:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:17 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:17 pm
DamageWagon wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:37 pm
Let me know how long install takes without reading the directions :mrgreen: it's about 15-20 minutes if you use them. I think aearles said it was an hour and a half of failure before he finally read he directions hahaha

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 am
Biggest winch so far I have had is 10K. But lets be perfectly clear, never been a fan of Warn Winches. Back when I started winching in the late 80s early 90's you had Ramsey and Warn. And either would last 0-3 uses(0 was COMMON for Warn, even rescued a ranger with a new, un-used, dead Warn) then need to be thrown away, not worth even rebuilding. (yes Warn had an old winch that is famous to this day, but not built then) Those winches had staggering electric draws as well. For years I went to slow hydraulic winches. Then other companies started rolling out quality winches. I own a T-max for example.(other then crappy remote no issues) Years after Warn started rolling out an endless ocean of new models, finally leading to very reliable, durable and water proof ones. All be it at a premium cost.

Anyhow no vehicle can handle these larger winches with out some upgrade. But contrast the 12K T-max vs Warn, 370 vs 440 amps. So this Warn is hungry for Amps. With Duals it will only be a 60 amp difference with some throttle. That is not bad at all. I agree, even with a less hungry winch duals for the cost should be standard. And maybe checking that box gets you the idle up flash as well....Oh and you want to go 16.5Ti? Thats a 507 max amp draw :jawdrop: And you want to have some lights on at night while winching.... :P
Don't be fooled by the 12k lb rating. The specs are the same as the 15k M15000. We think it is de-rated for liability reasons (or electrical reasons). I know when I added the 2nd battery, my winch worked 100% better. Before the 2nd batt, under load, you could hear the winch motor lugging. Not any more. Even under load, there is no change in the sound of the motor. It is either on or off, no more lugging. Then after that, I added the 270 amp alt & some 2/0 Ga welding cable (in addition to the stock wireing) & a 300 amp fuse. I have had no issues since.