Got to love the internet & youtube!

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
TwinStick

Got to love the internet & youtube!

Post by TwinStick » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:12 pm

Woke up to a VERY cold (60*F) house this morning. Furnace not working at all, did nothing. Got on the internet & youtube, watched some video's. Went down stairs & started operating. Cleaned the ignitor, cleaned the flame sensor, took the overheat sensor out & gave a few flips with thumb & finger, pulled the rubber hoses & gave them a quick shot of air (with my new ridgid 18v battery powered air compressor) & wa-la, furnace working again, at least for now anyways. :lol:

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: Got to love the internet & youtube!

Post by nts007 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:00 pm

We are on heating oil (diesel) and a few winter mornings with no heat.....sucks!!! Wife used the inter web to learn how to bleed fuel line when she ran the tractor outta fuel. So yes the web can be useful! Glad you got it fixed up easily
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

13BlkPowerWagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by 13BlkPowerWagon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:46 pm

If it has a draft inducing fan, check the bearings... that's what got me last year. Once that goes out, it'll fire up for a few seconds, then when it doesn't sense the draft, it shuts off. Cheap to replace, but they aren't stocked anywhere (mine wasn't). Took 9 days to get one via the manufacturer. Thank god I have a big wood burning insert to heat the house when I need it!

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TommyG » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:37 am

YouTube has saved me thousands of dollars over the years. It has also given me some level of acceptance when I can confirm that I really do need to incur a big bill to have something fixed.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:20 pm

Well, it still ain't working 100% right. I ordered some parts. Flame sensor & ignitor. The ones on it are 25 yrs old. I have removed them & sanded them so they were nice & shiny about 6x over the years. Hoping they are just worn out & new ones fix it for good. If not, I will order some sensors next. Trial & error, unfortunately, is MUCH cheaper than having it diagnosed & repaired by the people who installed it. They wanted $50 each for the flame sensor & ignitor & WOULD NOT sell them directly to me, they HAVE TO install them. $175-200 just to pull in the driveway. I got them online, to my door for $25. It will take me maybe 15-30 min tops to install them. Easy peasy. :D

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Replaced the parts today. So far, so good. Running like a champ. New ignitor seems to spark better than the old one, even after I cleaned it. :rockon: