My version of onboard air.............

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
TwinStick

My version of onboard air.............

Post by TwinStick » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:40 pm

:roll: Well, I cheaped out today on my onboard air. I really wanted a WARN VTC but they stopped making them. Then I really wanted the ARB Twin kit in the rugged box, $841.00. I just could not bring myself to do it. I bought this today: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1-Gal ... /300507507

I gotta say, so far I am impressed. It gets up to 120 psi fast, kicks back on around 75-80 psi & get back up there fast. I am already into the Ridgid HD 18v tools for close to $800+, so i figured why not. It probably is not in the same league or ballpark of an ARB twin but I like it. I already have 3 chargers, 6-4ah batteries, 1-5ah battery & 4-2ah batteries. I wanted something that I can use to reinflate a tire that I plugged, if in the middle of nowhere when traveling. It is rated at only .2cfm less than the 60v DeWalt one & $100 cheaper. It will fit in my caps d-side tool box easily. It can be transferred from vehicle to vehicle easily & I can recharge the batteries in all of my vehicles. :rockon:

Certainly no record breaker but it filled the 235/75/15 camper spare from 0 psi (I removed the stem & let it completely drain) to 52 psi in 4 min 48 seconds. So, I think it would do my stock size truck tire in 10 min or less. It seems to be faster if I stop when it kicks on & let it go till it shuts off & then refill till it kicks on again. With 2 fully charged 4ah batteries, going from 0 psi to 52 psi, the batteries were above half but less than 3/4 charge.

I have a 5 gal & a 7 gal air tank. Was thinking of maybe mounting 1 in/on the truck for more volume ? We will see. If I do, it will be a quick release set up, with the tank, some hose & a front & back bumper mounted air hookup staying on the vehicle & just unplug the compressor from it when needed elsewhere.

TwinStick

Re: My version of onboard air.............

Post by TwinStick » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:11 am

So far, this thing has been working great. I am really liking it. Has not failed to do anything I have asked of it. That said, filling tires & using it as a blower, to clean off sawdust, metal chips from drilling or to just clean up is all I have used it for. So handy that it is small-ish & portable. Doing a Boston trip soon in the 4Runner & will have it with us. :rockon: