Need to be talked into, or out of purchasing a new PW

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
MrG

Need to be talked into, or out of purchasing a new PW

Post by MrG » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 pm

I'm in the market for a new pickup, and have been considering a Power Wagon; I have also seen the Cummings 4x4 off-road.
I would like to stress that I have absolutely NO NEED whatsoever for it. I seldomly tow more than a K lbs, and only go to father in laws ranch twice per week (sandy, 4x4 preferred but not required). I drive under 12K miles a year (well in my vehicle at least, wife's RAV4 takes us many more)

What are the pros and cons to a PW as a daily driver (about 24 mile round trip to work)?

I know I came to the right place to ask. :-)

P.S. ride comfort isn't important to me, that's for people with Cryptorchidism

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Need to be talked into, or out of purchasing a new PW

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Neither? Tradesman 6.4 an option? Better mileage, skip the $8,000 cost either way if you're not going to use either. Or get a 1500

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Sounds like you should just go buy a Ram Rebel, get the nice 8 speed. The new trucks ride like cars. Really no complaint on ride or quality. I've driven cross country more than once in mine. Love it. It's my daily driver. But you don't sound like you need a PW.

There are a lot of things the PW has over the 4x4 Offroad package, but if it doesn't matter, why look at it at all?
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Ford Raptor.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:59 pm

If you don't know why you need one, you don't need one. It's a whole lot extra to spend on stuff you don't need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

MrG

Post by MrG » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:Ford Raptor.
Raptors don't really have the markdowns that power wagons do. I've looked at Rebels, I'm also considering the along with FX4 (the horrors)

I just live in a small town where I would be the only person with a PW. I've only seen 2 rebels and 2 raptors around here.

MrG

Post by MrG » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Y'all are making me feel guilty for wanting something I don't need.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Hello MrG, welcome,

Buying a truck is all about balancing the trade-off's and getting you what works best for you. My 07 PW has been my daily driver for over 10 years and I also have about a 24 mile daily commute, I still smile every time I get in it. Here's my list of pros/cons.

Procs:
- Best off road suspension for a 3/4 ton truck on the market.
- Marketing leading off road traction enhancers front/rear lockers, disconnecting sway-bar, 12,00 lbs Warn winch.
- Solid 6.4 Hemi engine.

Cons:
- Softer off road centric suspension means reduced payload capacity when compared to a standard 2500
- 2500 gas engine's are always thirsty
- Limited dealer inventory means you may have to order one to get what you want.
Last edited by coder on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:19 pm

When you say "I would like to stress that I have absolutely NO NEED whatsoever for it. ", do you mean the Cummins, the PW, or a truck? I need to know this before I can answer.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

MrG

Post by MrG » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:02 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:When you say "I would like to stress that I have absolutely NO NEED whatsoever for it. ", do you mean the Cummins, the PW, or a truck? I need to know this before I can answer.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
A power wagon. I need a truck, and need it to be 4x4 and prefer a medium length bed (I used to have a 2004 F150 Crew Cab and really disliked the small bed)

I'm 31 years old Male 6'2" 225 lbs, with an 6 month baby. I don't foresee the height being a problem.

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 pm

I use mine for a 60 mile daily RT commute,. Amazed with the milage, way better than my 8.1 Chevy 3/4 ton.

I tow 12k lb occasionally through the mountains

I tow 6k lb often through the mountains.

I haul my dirt bikes.

I 4wheel, I tow while four wheeling. I have winched broken trees out of my way, I have dragged my truck up waterfalls and through mud, over rocks with the winch.

For me the PW is perfect. I would not own a different truck. Only other consideration would be an F350 biut I would add a winch and a front locker. The Raptor would work for me most of the time, but towing wouldn't.

If I simplified my hobbies, I would also consider a Canyon ZR2.

If I didn't need/use lockers and winches, I would get an F150
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:37 am

Reloaderguy wrote:Ford Raptor.
The guys on raptorforum probably know what cryptocroidism means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:15 am

In think the Power Wagon may be a lot like the Raptor. There are as many Raptors being traded in as new ones are sold because it was not what the buyer needed. These are cool trucks, but not for everyone. I ordered a PW because I live off road and because I am a hardcore four wheeler. I have an old Montero trail rig, TRD PRO 4 Runner and an old 4x4 Titan. I would not be caught dead behind the wheel of a Rav 4.(sorry) Been known to strike out on serious trails in every vehicle I have ever owned....Yes, i will use mine for work as well but consider how much I go wheeling. And the roads I live on and all the Thelma and Louise drivers around me that need winched. Ask yourself will you use the capabilities? Have you ever used the rear locker in your 4x4? Have you used a winch a 100+ times? Have you done trails where 2 lockers were required? If not dual lockers, winch and disconnects are way over kill. If you live East of the Mississippi I really doubt you need it. You can find something cheaper with better gas mileage. However if you want to get twisted up in some boulder fields and rock that baby to sleep eventually the PW may be the ticket.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am

I don't think you can touch a 2017 raptor for less than $70k. People say you can, maybe I didn't look hard enough. You can purchase a brand new powerwagon tradesman for $45k (I paid $48k for a fully loaded SLT with all the electronic goodies) and go full Thuren or Carli suspension with springs, king shocks, trackbars front and rear, bumpstops, the whole shebang. You'd be into it for ~$55k, heck even throw in a nice new set of 8.5-9'' width wheels for that.

I have something I don't really 'need' either but man do I love it and would do it all over again if someone stole it .

I'm not the guy to talk you out of it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

13powerwagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by 13powerwagon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Ill give you some cons to being a PW owner.
It causes you to spend hours on the internet looking at stuff to buy for it.
You then spend money on said parts that you spent hours looking at.
You turn to this site for help but other PW owners are enablers and will only further your addiction.
In the end you spend all your money on it and your woman is pissed, unless she is a good one and has the same addiction, in which case you will go broke because there is no voice of reason.
But it's totally worth it to own the most manly work of off road majesticness you can buy from the factory.
2013 tradesman
Thuren 2” coils, track bar, short arms, 2.5 Kings, axle truss, LT leafs, shackles and front bumper. Carli ball joints, 37” dynapro mts on stock wheels, purple cranium dif covers, maple offroad skid, offset rear cross bar, sliders and high clearance rear bumper.

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:13 pm

My 2012 is my daily driver, and by most people's standards a pavement princess. I bought the Power Wagon because I wanted a truck that could do everything I wanted and more. I don't use the lockers a lot, but when I do they are worth every penny. I've only tinkered with the disconnecting sway bar, but I've never needed it. I've never used the winch, but it's nice to know it's there if things go south. The big plus to the Power Wagon is the ride quality over a standard 3/4 truck. With the softer springs the ride quality is close to a 1500. My truck tows the family boat with no issue (21 foot pontoon boat), and I've helped my brother get hay when he needed a second truck (roughly 10,000lbs behind the truck). My daily commute is around 14 miles round trip, so fuel economy isn't a concern to me (my truck just turned 45,000 miles about a month ago).

In short- I'd much rather have too much truck than not enough truck. I say go drive one and give it an honest test drive. You might find it's exactly what you need, or you may find it's not what you're really after.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

Ramajama
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Ramajama » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm

MrG wrote:Y'all are making me feel guilty for wanting something I don't need.
Here's the deal. This is a highly subjective topic. Just get whatever YOU WANT within your budget (which includes cost of ownership). Doesn't matter what anyone says on here. Its your money, your life, your wants. Whenever you have the means to afford it, needs are always secondary to wants IMHO.
Ive driven half ton 4x4 trucks for the past 25 years. They have all exceeded my needs but thats what I have wanted. Now I want a Power Wagon, dont need it, way overkill, it'll be my daily driver and there's plenty of negatives in my choice as compared to a half ton and I'm quite aware of them. But I got a whole bag-o-F's and Im not giving any. :rockon:

So go drive those trucks and get whatever trips that trigger of yours and enjoy. BUT, Youre smart enough to figure out the negatives and if the negatives give you enough pause, sometimes your head will override heart. :D

Ive learned that this site is geared toward the hard core PW enthusiasts who really consider this truck as a functional tool for them as enthusiasts. Ive got the gist that they dont generally like to see a PW underutilized. :) So if you do get a PW and decide to get immersed in it and maybe start using it more to its capabilities then come back here and get edumakated.

Good luck!
2018 RAM 2500 Power Wagon :rockon:
2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Lux
2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE
2003 Land Rover Discovery II HSE7

MSCH2112
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by MSCH2112 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:38 pm

from the want specs you provided....you don't need a 3/4 ton, don't need an 8k cummins, and don't need an off-road package.

perhaps your better off in a 1/2 ton 4wd. if you really want a diesel, get the eco diesel.

the 2500 cummins 4x4 offroad package i now own is NOT friendly off-road. but it's working out great for me and my requirements. and i've owned (2) pw's!

mike
2017 Ram 2500 Longhorn Cummins
295 60 R20 Nitto Ridge Graplers
Gooseneck
Pace Edwards elec.Metal Jacket bed cover
yeah and running boards for the wifey
Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

SOLD 2012 Power Wagon Laramie
w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

SOLD 2005 Power Wagon w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill

2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition

2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL

2016 Volvo XC90

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:59 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:Pro: It'll make your weenie look bigger. :rockon:
Con: My wife says it's not working. :doh:
Maybe I should get a lift kit and 37's!!! :idea:
Don't forget the 12" drop hitch with a pair of nuts hanging down. Woman dig that I hear. :secret:
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

MrG

Post by MrG » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:09 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:Pro: It'll make your weenie look bigger. :rockon:
Con: My wife says it's not working. :doh:
Maybe I should get a lift kit and 37's!!! :idea:
MSCH2112 wrote:from the want specs you provided....you don't need a 3/4 ton, don't need an 8k cummins, and don't need an off-road package.

perhaps your better off in a 1/2 ton 4wd. if you really want a diesel, get the eco diesel.

the 2500 cummins 4x4 offroad package i now own is NOT friendly off-road. but it's working out great for me and my requirements. and i've owned (2) pw's!

mike
I forgot to mention I live in Texas. That should settle the "you don't need a 3/4 ton" argument.
Ramajama wrote:
MrG wrote:Y'all are making me feel guilty for wanting something I don't need.
Here's the deal. This is a highly subjective topic. Just get whatever YOU WANT within your budget (which includes cost of ownership). Doesn't matter what anyone says on here. Its your money, your life, your wants. Whenever you have the means to afford it, needs are always secondary to wants IMHO.
Ive driven half ton 4x4 trucks for the past 25 years. They have all exceeded my needs but thats what I have wanted. Now I want a Power Wagon, dont need it, way overkill, it'll be my daily driver and there's plenty of negatives in my choice as compared to a half ton and I'm quite aware of them. But I got a whole bag-o-F's and Im not giving any. :rockon:

So go drive those trucks and get whatever trips that trigger of yours and enjoy. BUT, Youre smart enough to figure out the negatives and if the negatives give you enough pause, sometimes your head will override heart. :D

Ive learned that this site is geared toward the hard core PW enthusiasts who really consider this truck as a functional tool for them as enthusiasts. Ive got the gist that they dont generally like to see a PW underutilized. :) So if you do get a PW and decide to get immersed in it and maybe start using it more to its capabilities then come back here and get edumakated.

Good luck!
I like how you are thinking. I was asked "Why do you need a Power Wagon" by my liberal Bill Maher listening friend. Of course, my reply was as simple as "Because 'Merica" :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

He thought it was a logical answer... interesting considering the copious amounts of :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: we had consumed.

Littlehouse

Post by Littlehouse » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:28 am

Towing under $1k lbs? Why do you even need a full size? I'd get the Colorado ZR2 if I were you. Almost as cool as a Power Wagon, and a better DD.

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:43 am

The way I figure it ...if you want it get it... you only live once. I started out by looking at a Cummins Ram, because my boss got a new Dually and I drove it and was like wow this thing has some balls.... for a heavy truck. I started seeing the PW and knew I had a lot of off road trails near me in AZ .... I figured it was the last toy I was gonna buy for myself... who knows , but I wanted it so I got it. Then the sickness took over and like most on here the ordering begins... so get ready for that.

I can tell you that I have used the lockers more that once on the hills out here , and used the Winch to pull out a stuck Durango on the trail... so you never know what you may need... its nice to have if you need it.

I, like you, dont drive very far to work, so gas mileage wasnt a factor

I say have at it !!!
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Littlehouse wrote:Towing under $1k lbs? Why do you even need a full size? I'd get the Colorado ZR2 if I were you. Almost as cool as a Power Wagon, and a better DD.
Well, that might be YOUR opinion...
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:22 pm

If you live East of the Mississippi I really doubt you need it...............cough...............cough..........bull shit............... :poke:

The question to ask a PW owner. You bought it once. Would you buy it again?
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: