You think you got it bad ??? Try this.....

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
TwinStick

Re: You think you got it bad ??? Try this.....

Post by TwinStick » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Well, here is the latest update. He has screened (aluminum screen is the only kind that works, fabric or fiberglass screen does not) the upper 3 windows. I am trying to get him to double screen them. Meaning, I want him to use clear silicone caulk to atatch a piece close to the glass, in addition to the outer screens he had installed. Before he did anything, my siding temp was 76*F but the moving as the sun moves "hot spot" was 151*F+. Now, with 1 screen, siding was 69*F & the "hot spot" is 96*F. I am hoping that the double screens will bring it down to around the same temp as the siding or at least within a few degrees. We really can't have the siding replaced until we are sure he has corrected the problem, even during the "winter solstice" when the sun is lower here & more intense when reflecting from windows.

There is high temp siding but it is around double the cost & it has it's own unique issues. Cement board siding is the best option but is super heavy, super hard to install & super expensive. So heavy, that the nails don't always hold it & it can fall off, even if nailed in every slot. Once we are confident the problem is fixed, then we will use the insurance money to replace that one side of the house. No one will warranty against this problem. Temps can easily reach well over the 200*F range.

Everyone involved passes the Buck, big time. Home owner says talk to my contractor, contractor says talk to the window seller, window seller says talk to the window manufacturer, window manufacturer says talk to the building code people, building code people say talk to the State, who mandates that we have Low-E windows in our building code, States says talk to the Federal Gov't who mandates that the State does that, & on & on & on. :angry:

Classic example of people who want to save the world, at our expense, passing laws on things they don't have the first clue about ! :wtf:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:24 pm

I wonder what the Amish did to keep from burning each other's houses down. Maybe their vinyl siding was fine since they've got more land between lots.

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:40 pm

Looking at the pictures, there is an issue with the double pane windows. The gas that is in between them has evacuated and caused them to "suck in" and make a parabolic shape. They are not supposed to warp a reflection like that to form a spot. We had the same issue with some of the windows in the shore house, bad enough that the two panes had actually been touching in the center of the window. Once that happens your energy bills will go up or in our case, those rooms were cold in the winter and hot in the summer. If you're neighbor has warranty on the windows, I would try to let them know of it as they are actually paying more in energy because of it. The easiest way to have him test it is there should be no temperature difference from the edge of the pane (about an inch from the end) to the center of it. If it is different, it is defective. Do the test indoors.

Yeah, I smoked 'em, sometimes you just gotta #sendit
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:25 am

2sticky. Instead of siding. Brick it.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 am

Your grass is too high on your neighbor's side... Drop a bunch of #2 stone on the edge of your lawn and mow it down! :secret:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Yup, he knows they are defective. But trying to get someone to do something about it is another story all together. Contractor says go to Home Depot where they were purchased. Home Depot says go to the Manufacturer who made them. Manufacturer is saying the contractor installed them wrong & braced it too tight, voiding the warranty. And round & round it goes. I am now old enough to see that MANY warranties are not worth the paper it was written on.

When getting my rear locker fixed I went through all that. The name change game was one of them. "Rear locker actuator" name was changed. They now call it a module/solenoid & then they point to the warranty & say "see, modules/solenoids are not covered, sorry."

I must have repeated these words a hundred times & threatened to have our Channel 4 Call for Action guy Al Vaughters there with cameras & microphones by the end of the day, before they decided to cover it. "My powertrain is not working properly, I have a lifetime powertrain warranty."