Kinzer OffRoad Bumper - Reviewed

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Hammerballs
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Kinzer Off-Road Bumper - Reviewed - Moab Tested

Post by Hammerballs » Tue May 16, 2017 2:31 pm

MikeKey wrote:I recently came across another option, but I see a few design flaws with it for that are shopping.

http://www.775fabrication.com/shopbumpe ... -2014-2017

I do see a few design flaws though, like how do you access the clutch lever for manual release of your line? And the plug cut out is... mhem. My plug died, this bumper would require removing to replace if yours went bad. With Kye's I was able to replace without removal of bumper.

I do like the angles on the lights, but it looks like it lacks some of Kye's protection. But it's another option for those wanting a bull bar too.

MikeKey, I have emailed 775 about this bumper. It is hard to see in the pictures but there are two diamond cutouts on the top face of the bumper to access the plug and clutch lever. Probably fine for accessing the clutch lever but you are right about the difficulty to replace a plug if it goes bad. It also requires a Hawes fairlead and switch to synthetic line. I'm considering this bumper too because I like the bull bar look but it still doesn't quite check all the ideal boxes. Haven't found that bumper yet.

The other options I have found along with Kye's:

http://www.addictivedesertdesigns.com/f ... ory-winch/

Just learned of these guys:
http://www.throttledownkustoms.com/c-13 ... dodge.html

All have compromises. Wish I was a good welder and fab guy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
2016 Laramie Power Wagon

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Hammerballs wrote: MikeKey, I have emailed 775 about this bumper. It is hard to see in the pictures but there are two diamond cutouts on the top face of the bumper to access the plug and clutch lever. Probably fine for accessing the clutch lever but you are right about the difficulty to replace a plug if it goes bad. It also requires a Hawes fairlead and switch to synthetic line. I'm considering this bumper too because I like the bull bar look but it still doesn't quite check all the ideal boxes. Haven't found that bumper yet.

The other options I have found along with Kye's:

http://www.addictivedesertdesigns.com/f ... ory-winch/

Just learned of these guys:
http://www.throttledownkustoms.com/c-13 ... dodge.html

All have compromises. Wish I was a good welder and fab guy.
aearles told me that too. I'm looking at those little holes and we both had the same thought, looks small as S//T - My lever takes some force not a flip of the finger. Really hard to gauge without seeing it in person.

I've mentioned these before, but I'll add them to this post for others (Especially you 3rd Gen guys): https://www.ocfwelding.com/bumpers - has some really nice bumpers. Nothing specifically for the PW, but based on feedback he can change any bumper. Also, guy is a full-time welder building this stuff. So lead time is better than others who are doing it as side business/hobbies.

:cheers:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Tue May 16, 2017 9:35 pm

My criteria (no particular order):
Easy manual and visual access to the winch
Must be able to retain stock winch mount
NO usage of a second fairlead of any sort
Minimal protrusion
Removable skidplate (that protects winch and swaybar motor)
Bow shackle mounts tie directly to frame at 3-4 bolts per side (designed for 3/4" pin minimum shackle, no smaller)
Must fit my (2) driving lights, (2) fog lights and (2) rocklights
High clearance but full width (I've hit the plastic under my headlights a few times)

Kinzer meets all but the lights and the removable skidplate. With a little tweaking, I think it could meet all but the removable skidplate.

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Tue May 16, 2017 9:37 pm

The 775 looks great! But, I would never run a bumper with so little ability to see the winch spooling, with that second fairlead setup, I don't know how well you'd see the drum at all! Plus, looks like getting hands on the winch pug and lever would be difficult, even with those access holes. Also, I personally would want the shackle tabs mounted higher up, I'd grab those on rocks a LOT in that position.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed May 17, 2017 3:29 pm

Another glaring problem (just giving my opinion, here again) the 775 bumper is another new shop, charging more than AEV or ARB and they can't ship tomorrow like both of those companies can. That price needs to be under 2k.

If you are building a custom steel bumper with lead time, and you're not a top-tier brand company doing SEMA shows, it needs to be under 2k. You don't have a 2k ++ product. You're not a known brand. I know the exact quality I'll get from AEV. I don't know what to expect from you till I have the product.

Also, guys. What is with the laser cut logos. I get it, you want to be like the ROCKSTAR BRAND, but maybe wait until people want your logo on their trucks before plastering giant LOGOs on things.

:cheers:

RAM4ROKS wrote:The 775 looks great! But, I would never run a bumper with so little ability to see the winch spooling, with that second fairlead setup, I don't know how well you'd see the drum at all! Plus, looks like getting hands on the winch pug and lever would be difficult, even with those access holes. Also, I personally would want the shackle tabs mounted higher up, I'd grab those on rocks a LOT in that position.
:popcorn:

Yeah, that fairlead design is bad. And tells me the designer/welder hasn't spent a lot of engineering time thinking about it. If I was 775 I'd consider ripping off Kye's opening style with my own flavor. (Sorry Kye)

It's clear that Kye spent time thinking about all the pull angle on the winch line. I'll have no problems. I can see all kinds of problems with the double head design. Including failures.

The other thing I'm thinking about are those shackle mounts, look like fangs, and they're going to get dragged on things a lot if you actually use the bumper the way I use mine. Not a bad design, just might have done it differently. They are def going to get scratched to hell.

I love the angles under the headlamps and the bull bar on the bumper. It's a great design from a starting perspective. But there is room for improvement there. Especially with the whole winching setup. That just doesn't look thought thru. Especially for the price tag.
Attachments
mash-up.jpg
-------
------

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed May 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Just thought I'd update this real quick. I am going to be adding Baja Designs Squadron Pro LED's to the bumper.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/sq ... -combo.asp

The measurements match up perfectly, however the mounts that came with the bumper will have to go.
Last edited by OffroadTreks on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------
------

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:50 pm

NOT PRODUCTION QAULITY

I don't want to post this, but I'm pretty upset about the overall quality. My high from Moab has come down. I left a few exchanges I had with Kye out of my original review in an attempt to be fair.

But the fact remains, the bumper is not production quality. At best, it's like I had a buddy who just learned to weld do the work.

I mentioned in my first review about the back of the bumper not being welded. That was a serious concern of mine. And I DID DENT THIS BUMPER in Moab because of a lack of rear reinforcement on the back lower half of it.

That being said, I am paying someone else and getting a lot of the welds fixed. Most of the welds on this bumper are of low quality with zero penetration in some places. Some places like the backside as I stated earlier weren't welded at all. I'm sorry, but THIS IS NOT PRODUCTION QUALITY.

Did I mention all the scratches in the metal? It's as if he used a hard abrasive disk to sand it. I'm having a lot of work put into fixing all the mistakes Kye made.

Evidence supplied. Note, the person fixing my bumper had already begun grinding on things when I took these photos.

My final verdict, DO NOT BUY FROM KINZER OFFROAD.
Last edited by OffroadTreks on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
-------
------

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:33 pm

I remember my first custom bumper; coincidentally it looked like the same quality. "Trust me, I'm an engineer"...anything you say sport.

TheDirtRoad
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by TheDirtRoad » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:17 pm

Damn dude , mine was nothing that poor !! maybe he used a different welder for mine. I had the one cracked weld.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:19 pm

TheDirtRoad wrote:Damn dude , mine was nothing that poor !! maybe he used a different welder for mine. I had the one cracked weld.
One too many. You also welded the back.
-------
------

TheDirtRoad
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by TheDirtRoad » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:26 pm

MikeKey wrote:
TheDirtRoad wrote:Damn dude , mine was nothing that poor !! maybe he used a different welder for mine. I had the one cracked weld.
One too many. You also welded the back.
Yes I did weld the back. Which IMO should have been done initially.
Hey you gonna put some drain holes in the skid plate?

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Some of it looks like flux core, some looks like poor gas coverage. Weird to see both on the same piece. He wasn't doing any of the welding, correct?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:57 pm

Agree with Firerescue. :shock: Some look mig welded without any gas, others look like flux-core that the sittings was set wrong. Too much wire, not enough voltage. Wonder if they did the welding next to a shop door that was open with a strong breeze blowing through?
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:32 pm

Yea. Well it's getting fixed. :popcorn: I'm also making some changes. Well I'm not, DamageWagon is doing the work for me. I just shower money down on him and point and say do XYZ and it magically happens.
Attachments
2017-07-23 20.17.05.jpg
-------
------

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Some of the photos are hard to tell because I had already ground or wire wheeled them, but it all looks like MIG to me. For sure the welds on the tow hooks were MIG and had very bad gas coverage. I think they all look confusing because several welds are done with different settings. On one of the only 2 inside welds done on the plate, it's obvious the welder used one setting for a few inches and then changed settings for the next few inches. Overall it just looks like a very underpowered machine was used, OR a too-low setting was used to compensate for al the joints being outside knife-edge welds since every piece is completely separate and there aren't any bends. Oh well.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:08 pm

MikeKey wrote:Yea. Well it's getting fixed. :popcorn: I'm also making some changes. Well I'm not, DamageWagon is doing the work for me. I just shower money down on him and point and say do XYZ and it magically happens.
Stop dominating all his time. He was supposed to help me with my airbags over a beer. Image Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:21 pm

TankerZak wrote:
MikeKey wrote:Yea. Well it's getting fixed. :popcorn: I'm also making some changes. Well I'm not, DamageWagon is doing the work for me. I just shower money down on him and point and say do XYZ and it magically happens.
Stop dominating all his time. He was supposed to help me with my airbags over a beer. Image Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Haha yeah we gotta do that too!

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:10 am

Hate to say it but my arc welding day today makes me want to say I could do better than that. If it was mig it should have been way better. Less he used like a 70-80amp flux core buzz box. But even then some 030 wire and max heat could have pulled off a better weld. Glad yo caught it before it broke at the most inconvenient time!!
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 am

Kinda like a Road Rhino U-Weld-It bumper kit...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 pm

VERY disappointing to see the poor welds. Sorry to see this MikeKey. Especially a bummer since it's a good design at what would be a fair price (if the welds were better) and one of the only truly Wagon specific bumpers on the market. Good work DamageWagon fixing that hot mess!!!! I look forward to seeing the end result with you on the task! I wish you were closer, I have a TON of welding work I need done for my Wagon!!!! (I've got all the materials, just no time, DOH!!!)

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Well, I'm in Boise, I could just keep driving East...

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:14 pm

DamageWagon wrote:Well, I'm in Boise, I could just keep driving East...
I've got plenty of beer, a pool, and am near some fun southeast wheeling spots! Heck, I'm only 2 hours from Overland Expo East and 1 hour from American Adventurist Appalachian Rendezvous! You know you want to come weld tons of things for me.... I mean.... umm.... see all the awesome wheeling the southeast has to offer! (yeah, that's it!)

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Kinzer Off-Road Bumper - Reviewed - Moab Tested

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:44 pm

RAM4ROKS wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:Well, I'm in Boise, I could just keep driving East...
I've got plenty of beer, a pool, and am near some fun southeast wheeling spots! Heck, I'm only 2 hours from Overland Expo East and 1 hour from American Adventurist Appalachian Rendezvous! You know you want to come weld tons of things for me.... I mean.... umm.... see all the awesome wheeling the southeast has to offer! (yeah, that's it!)
Haha hey buddy, if it was a profitable enterprise I'd pencil it in as soon as I was done with Boise! Sounds like tons of fun to live there, although I think if I want to join the wheeling you're doing I'll build my tube buggy first Image I at least have a few sheet metal panels without major dents still!

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Re: Kinzer Off-Road Bumper - Reviewed - DO NOT BUY

Post by nts007 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:37 am

You're gonna need to set up a mobile fab shop at this point. I can get u a good deal on a 27' cargo trailer lol.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Re: Kinzer Off-Road Bumper - Reviewed - DO NOT BUY

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:06 pm

This thread reminds me of the crap I had to go through with my Fusion rear bumper. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Never buy from those assholes!!!!!
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: