She's sick : (

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2015

She's sick : (

Post by JFordBronco » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:30 am

Well, I got my airbag recall letter today, so since I was off I went to the dealership to set an appointment. I got the appointment set, the service writer is walking around the truck and smells anti-freeze(mind you, I've been complaining about smelling it to them for a while). He opens the hood, it's really strong in there, and there is none in the bottle. Uh oh...looks like that will be looked at next week too. Where do these things usually leak from, and why? :cry:
2015 Power Wagon

Chubbs
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Re: She's sick : (

Post by Chubbs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:56 am

What year? My 2004 5.7 Hemi (non-PW obviously) sprung a pretty good leak around the thermostat one time. Easy enough fix.
2018 Power Wagon
Bright Silver, Dual Alternators, Leather and Luxury, Ram Boxes

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JFordBronco » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:37 am

2015 Power Wagon

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:01 am

My 2011 has a bad gasket around the water pump housing. When I turn the engine on I can see a small trickle of water around the pump and down. Once it gets warm it seals up, and my coolant has never gone down though. When the antifreeze fries it leaves kind of a white chalky residue, try looking for that around your engine. Do you notice any milkiness in your oil?

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JFordBronco » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:44 am

I ran it all day yesterday - grocery shopping, running errands for the wife, drop off/pick up kids from events. She ran hot 218 most all day, never could find a drip/drop or anything. I searched high and low for a leak and/or chalkiness. None found. : ( It'll be alright, it has a warranty, right? : )
2015 Power Wagon

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:58 am

Isn't the odor of antifreeze in 4-4.5Gs something that was discussed a while back? Did anyone come up with a cause?

I seem to remember it being a common complaint.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JFordBronco » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:09 pm

The bad thing is, there is nothing left in the reservoir for the truck, bone dry...not sure where its going, but it isn't hitting the ground!
2015 Power Wagon

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:03 pm

JFordBronco wrote:I ran it all day yesterday - grocery shopping, running errands for the wife, drop off/pick up kids from events. She ran hot 218 most all day, never could find a drip/drop or anything. I searched high and low for a leak and/or chalkiness. None found. : ( It'll be alright, it has a warranty, right? : )
My 2011 ran hot all the time, it was a bad thermostat. Runs much happier now.

Running hot and burning coolant. Did you check if your oil was milky? Head gasket leak? Is your engine running normally or does it sound off at all like the timing is bad?

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JFordBronco » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:14 am

sounds normal to me, but I came from a '12 Power Stroke, runs fine to me. Oil was normal, it gets checked religiously after the last oil issue I had with it.
2015 Power Wagon

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by NickTF » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm curious about this. Mine smells of coolant on occasion and appears to lose the smallest bit from time to time. I have yet to report to the dealer as our local dealer is a crook (Sherwood of Salisbury, MD) and i've not gone to any other dealerships.

My truck has the goofy airbag/tumble recall but i'm nervous to go as I don't trust many service centers. I took my wife's Edge in for the tank replacement service. About 3-4 weeks later the driveshaft cradle bolts all miraculously worked themselves loose :angry:

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JFordBronco » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:15 pm

Just got a call from the dealer, they "THINK" its the water pump. Everything is pressurized right now, they are just waiting to see.... : (
2015 Power Wagon

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:34 pm

My experience has been the thermostat gasket. It is a bad design. Designed to fail. Had this issue on my 04' 2500 4x4 Hemi & now i believe I am having it again with the 2008 PW. To repair, I just went to NAPA & for a $1.68 or so, bought a 6" square of gasket material. Remover the T-stat & housing, put the housing on the gasket material, traced it out, cut it out, installed it & no more leak. The thin rubber gasket that goes around the edge of the actual t-stat, is the only thing keeping it from leaking. There is no gasket between the housing metal & the mounting spot metal. So, I made one.

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:11 am

TwinStick wrote:My experience has been the thermostat gasket. It is a bad design. Designed to fail. Had this issue on my 04' 2500 4x4 Hemi & now i believe I am having it again with the 2008 PW. To repair, I just went to NAPA & for a $1.68 or so, bought a 6" square of gasket material. Remover the T-stat & housing, put the housing on the gasket material, traced it out, cut it out, installed it & no more leak. The thin rubber gasket that goes around the edge of the actual t-stat, is the only thing keeping it from leaking. There is no gasket between the housing metal & the mounting spot metal. So, I made one.
Have you looked to see if the 6.4 shares the exact same thermostat design and gasket?

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:34 pm

No, I have not. But because it is a bad design & makes them easy money, I can't see them changing it. But, maybe they have, IDK. By doing what they did on my truck, when the t-stat & gasket are put in, & you put the housing on, the "thin to begin with" rubber gasket gets squished even thinner. And because it is all that keeps the fluid in, if that thin rubber gasket shrinks from heat or age, it leaks. Much better to have the tradition style gasket. It protects from leaks even if the one that goes around the t-stat fails.

I am curious to know if it is the same, or not.

That is one of the many small things that aggravate the living shit out of me. Lets get real here, since motors & radiators & thermostats have been being used in vehicles, what has really changed ? A pump from the engine pumps fluid through the system to the radiator & back to the engine. The t-stat controls the heat, makes it warm up quicker by opening & closing at a predetermined temp. Not Rocket Science. So, they did not change it to make it better (it already worked fine), someone changed it to say "look, see what I did here, slightly changed the design, so we can now charge $32 for a t-stat & gasket, instead of $7, & it will fail sooner & generate more revenue !"

They took something that was simple, & cheap to do yourself & made it harder and more expensive. :doh:

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:45 pm

So something which was very reliable and simple while being easy/cheap to maintain was made more complex to generate more service revenue. The OEMs wouldn't do that to us would they........... :evil:

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JFordBronco » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:40 pm

soooo, got the "diagnosis" from the shop about an hour ago. The EGR Cooler sprung a leak. They are also replacing three ball joints and something on the radius arm. I haven't even had a good chance to beat on it yet and its already wore out ball joints??? Crazy...
2015 Power Wagon

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Glad you got it diagnosed. Covered under warranty I hope ?

Like I said: VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

NickTF wrote:So something which was very reliable and simple while being easy/cheap to maintain was made more complex to generate more service revenue. The OEMs wouldn't do that to us would they........... :evil:

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JFordBronco » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:04 pm

yes sir, under warranty, the question is how long will it take to get fixed ?
2015 Power Wagon

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Hope you got it fixed ? Honestly, I have never even heard of an EGR Cooler. I'm gonna have to look that up.

Everything that comes up seems to be for diesel engines.

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JFordBronco » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:12 am

I got it back, NOT HAPPY at all! According to the paperwork, the airbag recall was done. The EGR cooler had an internal leak(PN 4627647-AF) and they "topped the coolant back off. Well, um, the reservoir low, low enough it doesn't even make it to the MIN line. I had ball joint issues, they are sealed ball joints!! They noted on there I did not lubricate them, nor did they align the truck after they replaced the ball joint in question! I have a 600 mile road trip this weekend and I'll be driving straight, but in order to go straight I have the steering wheel turned to 10 o'clock! Soooooo freaking pissed it aint funny!!!
2015 Power Wagon

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Well, that just sucks. Bad dealer & bad service dept's have lost many a loyal customer. If I was you, I would bring some proper coolant with you, just in case. I would also top it off before you go on said trip. It is hard to deal with morons. My shop is of the "we don't want to hear what YOU THINK it is, cause we are the dealer & we know everything" kinda mentality. It is VERY frustrating, I know, been there done that.....WAY too many times with WAY too many vehicles. Campers, trucks, cars, boats, mountain bikes, appliances, stereos, radios, speakers, etc... over my 54 years. Sorry for your troubles. Keep us posted please.

:popcorn:

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JFordBronco » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:30 am

Well, not a drop of coolant was lost, I marked it with a sharpie before we left. Besides it pulling hard right, it drove normal. Im gonna take it back to the shop this evening after I get done at the range and park it. Tomorrow morning, I'm gonna go up there, get the required coolant from the guy who worked on it, top it off to somewhere between min/max lines, then I am going to wait for the alignment to get done and WE will test drive it to make sure it goes straight!
2015 Power Wagon

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:29 am

Setting everything aside.......What blows my mind the most is shops that don't do a test drive. I don't care if you added some window tint, you need to test drive it. Oh, wait a minute this thing pulls hard, lets do that alignment we forgot before calling the customer.......
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:38 pm

My daughters Subaru was low on coolant (or so I thought), so she took it to the dealer. They said it was normal. They said vehicles today run hotter than the ones of 15 yrs ago & actually need that space (that makes it look low when cold) because the coolant expands & fills it, under normal operating conditions while driving it. So, if you fill it cold, it will actually push the coolant out, which is why we smelled coolant when driving, after we filled it cold. They said the "blue mark" is there so they know it was filled to the proper level at the production facility & that is the ONLY time, that the fluid should be at the "blue mark". Once the vehicle is started up for the first time, it goes below & stays below that blue mark.

Yeah, they should test drive them, I agree. But not many dealers are pro-active. They are usually re-active. :doh:

JFordBronco
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JFordBronco » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:37 am

that makes sense. On the wife's Jeep, I filled it between the min/max line and its been fine - no purging or anything. I'll probably do the same with mine. I'll post up what I find today! Y'all have a great and happy Monday! : )
2015 Power Wagon