Why has AEV turned to such shit?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Why has AEV turned to such shit?

Post by olyelr » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:43 am

Nts, your just mad cause they dont make 3rd gen and cummins parts :lol:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:38 am

olyelr wrote:Nts, your just mad cause they dont make 3rd gen and cummins parts :lol:
So mad yes. So very mad :excited:
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:00 am

zigsrig wrote:While we can argue all night and day about the AEV setup on a power wagon, I don't think we can really compare their business model (and successes) to many other off-road suspension and accessory companies.

Not many have been in the market place 20 years, established a vast dealership network, been an integral part of a major vehicle manufactures product lineup, had their parts sold (with factory warranties) at dealerships all over the world and won a few prestigious automotive design awards.

Im pretty sure with the JL coming out soon, they will have (yet another) major cash stream to continue to grow their business... One that should keep this afloat for a bit longer than some may hope ;)

From just a pure business standpoint, id say they are doing damn fine (speaking from a self employed business owners perspective of corse).
Teraflex has been around longer and more involved in FCA vehicles. AEV barely has a presence in dealerships. You randomly see Prospectors, Jeep accessories are far more prevalent and it is not normally AEV in dealerships. AEV was the shop that stretched Jeeps, had some cool Ferrari looking wheels, high fender kits, and later engine swaps. All boutique.

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
zigsrig wrote:While we can argue all night and day about the AEV setup on a power wagon, I don't think we can really compare their business model (and successes) to many other off-road suspension and accessory companies.

Not many have been in the market place 20 years, established a vast dealership network, been an integral part of a major vehicle manufactures product lineup, had their parts sold (with factory warranties) at dealerships all over the world and won a few prestigious automotive design awards.

Im pretty sure with the JL coming out soon, they will have (yet another) major cash stream to continue to grow their business... One that should keep this afloat for a bit longer than some may hope ;)

From just a pure business standpoint, id say they are doing damn fine (speaking from a self employed business owners perspective of corse).
Teraflex has been around longer and more involved in FCA vehicles. AEV barely has a presence in dealerships. You randomly see Prospectors, Jeep accessories are far more prevalent and it is not normally AEV in dealerships. AEV was the shop that stretched Jeeps, had some cool Ferrari looking wheels, high fender kits, and later engine swaps. All boutique.
Also, little do people know Sage Carli was involved with Ram's decision to make the switch to radius arms. It was ram that wanted to look into what Carli had at the time, the then, new radius arms from Carli.

Yeah, I smoked 'em, sometimes you just gotta #sendit
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by whitey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:40 pm

I'll be honest that I haven't read all of your comments But I've got to say this about the whole AEV situation. I've had my power wagon for almost 12 years and I always upgrade to more functional parts and I have always wheeled it from about day 6. Every upgrade has offroad in mind. When I first heard about AEV I didn't catch anything about dealing with the power wagon / dodge weaknesses so I spoke up at that time. By the time I heard of AEV I was already on my 5th steering system. Do not expect to go offroad on 40"s, locked front and on rocks with stock steering. I'm pretty sure the dodge engineers that put our steering systems into place where using some of the new math. Offroad and locked on 37"s was just too hard on my first 4 steering set ups. I used to twist sector shafts right off of the steering boxes till I started hydro assist then the problem spots just moved to other parts

As for the drivetrain around year 9 I had to have my front axle shafts replaced with some mating parts and transfer case rebuilt after stretched chain. Unit bearings at front hubs were swapped about every 3rd year till dynatrac free spin kit. This was all likely due to running 37"s and offroading often. Many other drivetrain parts were replaced too but where oh shit moments. If I were to go to 40"s I would get the diff gears to 5.13 and get mild trusses on top of axles.

With all of this in mind, If I ever get really serious about going big then I'll get a pair of axletech 4000 or larger axles and shoot for 54". AEV won't have anything to do with the truck, it'll be East Coast Gear supply to do the work and Boyce equipment for axles.

laramieskibum
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by laramieskibum » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:26 am

Pit Slave wrote:Ok, I have one more thing to add or should I say ask... Out of all the defense talk about AEV, not one person who speaks highly of them has explained why the thread deletion?

:popcorn:

Yeah, I smoked 'em, sometimes you just gotta #sendit
This was just posted on their forum. It is true that they changed versions of vbulletin. (And also a ton of spam was being sent via PM, I can confirm that). Tapatalk may not be reinstalled which sucks.

https://forum.aev-conversions.com/forum ... ated-forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo MT -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:53 am

Nice cover story. My thread was deleted prior to the changeover. The closed rack thread was much older. More like they pruned shit they don't want there. Just admit that and stop being sly. Some of us work on the web daily. We're not stupid to this BS. It was lost and unrecoverable. Um ok, guess who ever did that is a dumbass that deletes databases? Give me a break. :roll:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:40 pm

For some reason, the so called lost threads were the ones that were not favorable to them.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:20 pm

olyelr wrote:For some reason, the so called lost threads were the ones that were not favorable to them.
You're just a hater.
-------
------

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:43 pm

MikeKey wrote:
olyelr wrote:For some reason, the so called lost threads were the ones that were not favorable to them.
You're just a hater.

No way jose, my aev puck lift is in the mail. And im using it with my pw coils cause I'm a REBEL.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:56 pm

I'd ban you if I were them.

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:08 pm

I think the AEV setup has its place. It's very good for a person who wants a warranteed lifted truck with big tires that'l do more than 99% of new truck buyers will have the stomach for offroad. I am very jealous of the ability to inexpensively (comparatively) push the front axle forward on the '14+ Wagons, I wish I could push mine forward on my '12. The AEV flares are a beautiful piece of work! The Procal (assuming it's like the one for the JK) is a great little gadget. Would I run AEV's suspension on my Wagon if I had a '14+??? Likely a mix of AEV and Carli like the DPP Howitzer simply because I'd want 40s.

I 100% agree with Whitey- 40s for use offroad require a LOT more supporting mods than the AEV Prospector XL comes with. I don't run 40s on my '12 yet for that very reason. To run my Wagon on 40s in the manner that I would run it were it on 40s, I would need a laundry list of mods to the tune of around $10k+. (RCVs, No Spins, Truss, 11.5 swap to allow regear to 5.13 (not needed on a '14+ since they already have an 11.5), Hydro assist (the one thing the Prospector XL actually does have), upgraded balljoints, upgraded steering gear, long arms (admittedly, a '14+ has the advantage there), etc)

I'll tell you what I would like to see: a 3" Wagon specific lift system (3" actual lift over a Wagon height!) with the focus being on maximum ground clearance and maximum flex with the shock tuning biased toward low speed crawling, long arms designed to withstand being dragged on rocks, bracketry designed to be smooth without snags to catch when dragging belly, a belly pan, and a 1-1.5" forward push for the front axle. This would be my ideal suspension setup! (of course, I'd want it for '13 and earlier (so, I'm just dreaming, LOL!))

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:19 am

I was under the impression AEV used the OE isolators/joints.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4wd-s ... 500-a.html

jpbrazill
Model Year: 2006

Post by jpbrazill » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:39 am

RAM4ROKS wrote:I think the AEV setup has its place. It's very good for a person who wants a warranteed lifted truck with big tires that'l do more than 99% of new truck buyers will have the stomach for offroad. I am very jealous of the ability to inexpensively (comparatively) push the front axle forward on the '14+ Wagons, I wish I could push mine forward on my '12. The AEV flares are a beautiful piece of work! The Procal (assuming it's like the one for the JK) is a great little gadget. Would I run AEV's suspension on my Wagon if I had a '14+??? Likely a mix of AEV and Carli like the DPP Howitzer simply because I'd want 40s.

I 100% agree with Whitey- 40s for use offroad require a LOT more supporting mods than the AEV Prospector XL comes with. I don't run 40s on my '12 yet for that very reason. To run my Wagon on 40s in the manner that I would run it were it on 40s, I would need a laundry list of mods to the tune of around $10k+. (RCVs, No Spins, Truss, 11.5 swap to allow regear to 5.13 (not needed on a '14+ since they already have an 11.5), Hydro assist (the one thing the Prospector XL actually does have), upgraded balljoints, upgraded steering gear, long arms (admittedly, a '14+ has the advantage there), etc)

I'll tell you what I would like to see: a 3" Wagon specific lift system (3" actual lift over a Wagon height!) with the focus being on maximum ground clearance and maximum flex with the shock tuning biased toward low speed crawling, long arms designed to withstand being dragged on rocks, bracketry designed to be smooth without snags to catch when dragging belly, a belly pan, and a 1-1.5" forward push for the front axle. This would be my ideal suspension setup! (of course, I'd want it for '13 and earlier (so, I'm just dreaming, LOL!))
I couldn't agree more. This would be my ideal setup as well....except I would want it for a 14+ configuration. Give me stock feel with 3" taller ride height and external res. shocks.
2017 Power Wagon: Granite Crystal: Rambox: 35s, res chop, N-Fab Steps: Deezee tailgate assist: airhorn delete: AVS vent visors:

Aurora, Colorado

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:12 pm

All of that is achievable. It requires coilovers. Chop off all factory suspension, including coil buckets and Trackbar mount, and fab up shock hoops and a new Trackbar mount with longer arms. Pretty sure you need to stick with a Trackbar setup, there's not enough room underneath to do a triangulated 4-link without losing a lot of uptravel.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Interesting discussion about the lifts here:https://forum.aev-conversions.com/forum ... ith-3-lift

Backed up in case AEV nukes thread here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170815233 ... ith-3-lift
-------
------

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:01 pm

AEV just announced a Chevy ZR2 Concept along with a few other Ram goodies. I'm surprised by the ZR2 setup. I thought they would stay committed to Ram and Jeep.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:45 pm

Yeah, not for nothing, but the hot ticket IMHO for a rear bumper would be to integrate the hitch & pick up a few more inches of clearance, cut the rear quarters & fender flare & have the bumper wrap around to protect the lower rear of bed. :rockon:

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:14 pm

Got to admit that Colorado AEV looks sharp
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:19 pm

Typical AEV. Looks awesome, corners cut everywhere else. Props for making a nodular iron rear diff cover that works and front that was a waste of money due to sorry (but it looks awesome!) r&d.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:55 pm

Yes, it certainly does look sharp. 35" tires on an IFS front end of something that is less than even a 1/2 ton makes me wonder about parts longevity though. I mean, ours came stock with 33's on a 3/4-1 ton platform & our ball joints & tie rod ends sucked, so I gotta think that 35's on a 1/4 ton platform rates as a :wtf: were they thinking moment ! But i could be wrong ? :lol:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:33 am

Same old uninspired crap designed to look good but not actually increase performance. SSDD

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:56 am

This is the bullshit Social Media way :doh:

You only get to "like" something and Post positive comments... :angry:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:35 pm

I think the point of the tow hooks being where they are is for them to actually act as a skid, instead of using the bumper so much. I dono. Cant imagine why the hell else they would do that.

I love the look of their front bumper... but not the rear bumper. Those tubes just look too out of pace for me.

MSCH2112
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by MSCH2112 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:30 pm

the AEV customers don't seem very happy with the RAM rear bumper design.

mike
2017 Ram 2500 Longhorn Cummins
295 60 R20 Nitto Ridge Graplers
Gooseneck
Pace Edwards elec.Metal Jacket bed cover
yeah and running boards for the wifey
Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

SOLD 2012 Power Wagon Laramie
w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

SOLD 2005 Power Wagon w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill

2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition

2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL

2016 Volvo XC90