Toyo RTs vs MTs in snow/ice

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
aheiser
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Re: Toyo RTs vs MTs in snow/ice

Post by aheiser » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:38 am

Thanks everyone! I actually ended up going with the RTs. Having them installed later today. I know they may still be squirrely on the ice/blacktop but they seem well liked and a good balance. I figure I'll give them a try this winter and will run a more AT-like tire next year if these end up being too scary. And then some day, if I can devote this truck to offroad, I'll try the MTs in a 37 :D
2012 Power Wagon SLT Blue Pearl, Thuren suspension, 35" Toyo RTs, Linex bed and rockers, Aero AT3030XL muffler, BT Catch can, more on the way...

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:30 am

I was doing 55 on solid ice in my PW this last year. You'll be just fine. I couldn't make it slide when slamming on the brakes. Just make sure you get them sipped and run them at 45 PSI front 35 PSI rear. Unless you have RAMboxes and keep a buncha stuff in the RAMboxes. I keep chains, which stuff, 5 gal gas can, etc. So my rear is a little heavier. If your doing that then only do a 5 PSI delta. I run 45/40 front/rear. Only run 60/65 PSI front/rear when towing. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Shaved Ice
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Shaved Ice » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Not to hijack, but can you send info on your 5 gallon gas can that fits in the Rambox?
2017 Power Wagon
Laramie
Granite Crystal Metallic
Rambox
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders

2007 Power Wagon (sold)

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Congrats on the purchase! A little reinforcement for you, one of the go-fast cummins guys just posted this Image

aheiser
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by aheiser » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Wow that's crazy! I have no doubt these tires will be tough. Thanks Tankerzak for the input. I've run the BFGs at pretty much standard pressure or occasionally on light load. Guess it will be time to finally have my tpms thresholds adjusted and not run these super heavy/rigid tires at such high pressure.
2012 Power Wagon SLT Blue Pearl, Thuren suspension, 35" Toyo RTs, Linex bed and rockers, Aero AT3030XL muffler, BT Catch can, more on the way...

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:31 pm

Shaved Ice wrote:Not to hijack, but can you send info on your 5 gallon gas can that fits in the Rambox?
Sorry, that was poor typing on my part. It goes under my tonneau cover between the tailgate and the bed divider that comes with the truck and then I bungie it to the hoop by the tailgate. It's not IN the Rambox. Sorry, I was trying to make a point about weight in the bed. I do use the metal cans that fit upright under a tonneau cover though. It's rather slick. I can fit 4 across the back in the gap between the tailgate and the bed divider when it's in the last notch.

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Shaved Ice wrote:Not to hijack, but can you send info on your 5 gallon gas can that fits in the Rambox?
Sorry, that was poor typing on my part. It goes under my tonneau cover between the tailgate and the bed divider that comes with the truck and then I bungie it to the hoop by the tailgate. It's not IN the Rambox. Sorry, I was trying to make a point about weight in the bed. I do use the metal cans that fit upright under a tonneau cover though. It's rather slick. I can fit 4 across the back in the gap between the tailgate and the bed divider when it's in the last notch.

Justrite 7250120 AccuFlow 5 Gallon, 11.75" OD x 17.50" H Galvanized Steel Type II Red Safety Can With 5/8" Flexible Spout

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:33 pm

I've seen the sceptre military fuel cans fit in ramboxes. Unfortunately they're no longer legal for civilians because of the EPA. You can still find them but they're spendy
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:26 pm

Colibri wrote:I've seen the sceptre military fuel cans fit in ramboxes. Unfortunately they're no longer legal for civilians because of the EPA. You can still find them but they're spendy
Where did you get that bit of incorrect information? :popcorn: Maybe in CommieFornia. Not the rest of the US.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:41 pm

I would love to be wrong, if you could direct me to a reputable business who sells them I'd be appreciative. As far as I know you can either

1. buy them in Canada and sneak them over
2. Buy them off eBay for more than they're worth
3. Get them beat up used from a surplus store if you can find them
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Lots of other stuff lol

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Toyo RTs vs MTs in snow/ice

Post by yellowranger1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:06 am

Can't even get them shipped to CA (for our own safety obviously) I found one place a while back that carried them and when I called they confirmed they couldn't get any new ones shipped here.

I picked up 4 used OD green 20L scepters from a guy of expo portal though. I just need to spend some time on them cleaning up the overspray they have on them.

Even the blue square fuel jugs I use now aren't legal, but I refuse to waste half my fuel on the ground by using a BS "carb compliant eco can."

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:03 am

When I come to Moab I'm sure I can sneak a few dozen of those fuel cans for ya guys
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:38 am

https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-05552-Mi ... B00L1KY1KI

I have NATO steel cans anyways. Hold up well.
-------
------

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:18 pm

$116 dollars for a gas can is crazy, the only reason they're that price is because sceptre no longer does civilian sales in the us for the MFC. That amazon seller is price gouging his last 4 new old stock cans, but no authorized distributor can ship a new MFC to ANY us address.

I have a few MFC's and some NATO Jerry cans. I like them both.
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:57 pm

I really like the cans from my link. I like the old Jerry cans the best but the great thing about these is they fit under a locked tonneau while upright. I was going to buy some old Jerry's but I focused on height so I could lock everything up. Cooler fits with top locked as well. Tonneau rolls easy for hauling but so nice keeping everything locked and hidden and tools and gear in the Ramboxes.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:15 pm

I'm a little jealous of the ramboxes.
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:34 am

TankerZak wrote:I really like the cans from my link. I like the old Jerry cans the best but the great thing about these is they fit under a locked tonneau while upright. I was going to buy some old Jerry's but I focused on height so I could lock everything up. Cooler fits with top locked as well. Tonneau rolls easy for hauling but so nice keeping everything locked and hidden and tools and gear in the Ramboxes.
Yup that's what I do. I have the old metal NATO 5.5 Gallon Jerry cans, bought them on Cheaperthandirt.com way back when. 4 of them, all fit under the tonneau.
-------
------

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:12 am

MikeKey wrote:
TankerZak wrote:I really like the cans from my link. I like the old Jerry cans the best but the great thing about these is they fit under a locked tonneau while upright. I was going to buy some old Jerry's but I focused on height so I could lock everything up. Cooler fits with top locked as well. Tonneau rolls easy for hauling but so nice keeping everything locked and hidden and tools and gear in the Ramboxes.
Yup that's what I do. I have the old metal NATO 5.5 Gallon Jerry cans, bought them on Cheaperthandirt.com way back when. 4 of them, all fit under the tonneau.
Stand up? How tall are they? I need to go measure my inner height of my tonneau again.