More camper shenanigans

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
TwinStick

More camper shenanigans

Post by TwinStick » Tue May 02, 2017 4:37 pm

So, last year, we got a recall on our brand new camper. Front window may have been installed improperly. We had no issues. But I called anyways. They said, if you don't have it done & it leaks in the future, you are on your own. So we had it replaced under recall. They had our camper for 2 months last summer during camping season. We finally got it back. Finished the season with no issues. It rained plenty, no issues.

Just went out there & opened it up & found it has been leaking all winter apparently. wall was rippled, bed was soaked, xtra foam mattress was soaked, mold on mattress, foam mattress & wood that mattress rests on. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: So, now it is back at the shop & probably will be for some time. We bought it when it was Camping World. Then they closed it. Then Meyers RV bought the building. Meyers did the warranty work the first time. This time they said no-way, no-how. Guy would not even go into the camper as soon as i said "mold" . He said we have to go to camping World. I told him "But you guys did the repair---which obviously has failed, so you are on the hook to fix it all." It is "under review". :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Just when we were getting ready to do a trip, this shit happens. If they give me a bunch of shit over this, I think i am going to tell them to just keep the g-damn thing & I will stop paying on it. We had shit planned out for the entire summer. Looks like we may be using the tent more than i thought ! :lol:

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Re: More camper shenanigans

Post by verdesardog » Tue May 02, 2017 6:13 pm

That sucks!
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Damn that's awful, I hope they do right by you
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Tue May 02, 2017 6:33 pm

Been asked several times now "Why don't you just buy a trailer instead of putting two years of work into building one?" :roll:
Well, reasons like this is why.

That sucks though. Don't know that I'd take a camper back to anyone other than maybe an insurance company.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Tue May 02, 2017 7:10 pm

If they give you ANY shit. I would lawyer up. :box:

Sell you a nice motorhome.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Wed May 03, 2017 11:54 pm

This is exactly why our basically new travel trailer still has 2 sides that have been peppered pretty well with hail damage. It's not horrible, but it's there. We had it nearly all setup by our insurance company and the dealer to have the siding on both damaged sides replaced. They said we could even wait till the end of the season to bring it in so we didnt miss any camping time. But I just couldnt muster up the thought of some dealer hacks screwing it all up and possibly making more problems in the future. I figured we would rather look at some hail dents then chance it, so we never followed through.

Hopefully they make it right for you! What a bunch of SHIT!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

MSCH2112
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by MSCH2112 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:49 pm

i remember reading about a huge class action lawsuit by buyers against rv/camper manufacturers and i was like 'hell ya' cause the camping industry is just plain cheap construction. dealers were whining they couldn't do warranty work also as manufacturer's wouldn't pay them. shouldn't sell a product you can't service or perform warranty work on is my opinion on dealers.

mike
2017 Ram 2500 Longhorn Cummins
295 60 R20 Nitto Ridge Graplers
Gooseneck
Pace Edwards elec.Metal Jacket bed cover
yeah and running boards for the wifey
Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

SOLD 2012 Power Wagon Laramie
w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

SOLD 2005 Power Wagon w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill

2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition

2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL

2016 Volvo XC90

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue May 09, 2017 8:57 pm

Yup, I agree. It's been there 13 days now. We were PROMISED because it was "leaking water" that it would be stored inside---before we just got that week of rain. It wasn't. Every single time we called the guy, we got voice mail. Every time we drove there, it was "it will be in by the end of the day." One lie after another. My wife blew up on them today. I explained to her what a horrible job that must be. Making minimum wage, selling a product that you had no control of making it, selling a product that very well may have been made by min wage workers, pushed to make them as fast as possible. Don't take long to get the "I don't care" attitude under those conditions I guess. Sad.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 09, 2017 10:21 pm

You know what grinds my gears, campers are still made in the US, by Americans. So why are most garbage? We don't take pride in anything anymore.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue May 09, 2017 10:49 pm

I agree. I have heard that soooooo many times. I don't blame anyone for buying something that's not made here. The joys of being free & spending your hard earned money on, what you think, will give you the most bang for the $buck$. When picking up the wife's new 4Runner yesterday, we told the sales person that 2 days prior, we went with our son & ended up with a silver Subaru Impreza 5 door hatchback. He was hoping for a 2 vehicle sale. He was not happy but that said, he also could not say he had anything bad to say about Subaru's either. In fact, he said they were great cars. For around the same price as a new Corolla, he has the best all wheel drive car on the market. He said he could not compete with that or argue with that. Son was happy. I was happy. No more working on his car to keep it running & dreading inspection every year. He has a payment now though. :lol: "Welcome to LIFE, I said to my son, glad you showed up!" :rockon:

We also met a camper one time from Elkhart Indiana that said he worked making RV's there. He said he ended up quitting because it just did not pay enough, even as a supervisor, to deal with all the employees. He said they always hire crack heads & meth heads & he just could not deal with it anymore. Stuff would fail their QC & he would get bitched at for it. 6 months of build-build-build he said.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Tue May 09, 2017 11:10 pm

On hiring people at places I worked at. If they could read and write, they couldn't pass a drug test. If they passed the drug test, they couldn't read and write. :doh: :roll: :wtf:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Went there today & raised hell. Talked to the manager of the store. I told them I want it fixed & fixed right or I may be talking to an attorney soon (future daughter in law is an attorney now). I told them, no more excuses & if you can't fix it, I want a new camper. I told him (in front of lots of customers) we are retired now & you are fucking up our program. We had trips planned & had to cancel some because your people can't put a window in right. He was nice & assured us it would be fixed soon & fixed right. I hope so.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:48 pm

Probably still won't be fixed right.
-------
------

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:43 pm

You know that they said what they had to - just to get you out of their shop. :lol:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:13 pm

So, according the dealer, they said whoever installed the last front window, did not remove the plastic wrap around the window frame, therefor the water could not go out the weep holes in the bottom. :doh: I reminded them that THEY REPLACED THE LAST WINDOW !!! :doh: Anyway, he said they removed the wrapping & calked the living shit out of it but did not cover up the weep holes with the caulk. It's done, but he wanted to let it dry overnight & test it out good tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it is fixed right this time. I want to camp !!!

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Good luck man, it's ridiculous how much trouble they've caused you, I hope they got it right this time :rockon:
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:27 pm

Hey Mikey. You can come and going camping with us at Rausch Creek. It's this weekend.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:14 am

RustyPW wrote:Hey Mikey. You can come and going camping with us at Rausch Creek. It's this weekend.
Ok, it's first and last name. And I hate Kix.

And that's like halfway across the country. :thppt:
-------
------

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:36 pm

So, I go to camper dealer, hook up, pull around front, go in, get the paperwork & the keys, go out & open it up & go inside. Wood that bed sits on is all wet. :angry: I go back inside, perky little greeter says Hi Sir, how are you ? Not very fucking good i replied. I went back to service, stood in line again. When he asked if he could help me (just seen him 10 min earlier), I said yeah, you can (real loud), you can get someone to fix my fucking camper right. (Our original salesman was right there & quickly headed for the hills). So, I took the service manager out & showed him. When we got back inside the dealer, I asked him & everyone who worked there: How would you feel if you bought a new camper for retirement travel & your camper did not leak. You got a recall notice & were told you HAD to have your non-leaking window replaced under warranty recall. So, you did & your camper sat there for 3+ months, during prime camping season, you finally get it back, right before winter. You park it. It leaks during the winter. You take it back in. It sat there for another 3 months. You get it back, use it 1 time, park it for winter. You open it up in spring & realize it leaked again all winter. You take it in a 3rd time. They say it is fixed. You come to pick it up & it is all wet inside again. Mind you I am getting 8mpg & driving 1 hour each way, everytime I come here. Would YOU be happy ? Would YOU be understanding ? Would you be in a good mood ? I told them, this is our retirement dream, to travel the USA with our truck & camper. You guys are fucking up my program BIG TIME. Please fix our G-damn camper & fix it right. I told them it may only be a $15,000 camper but it is OUR $15,000 camper & our retirement dream. I told them to call in an expert if need be. Un freaking believable. He even saw it dripping when i showed him. :sick:

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:24 pm

MikeKey wrote:Probably still won't be fixed right.
Hate to be a Debbie downer.

RV dealers are incompetent. And you shouldn't trust them to ever fix this correctly. I know you want it fixed properly, but if you want that done, you're better off cutting them out and doing it yourself.

:popcorn:
-------
------

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:33 pm

Honestly, I have no idea how to do it myself. I am sure it can't be that hard, I just have no idea how. And, it is still under warranty. Very depressing.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:06 pm

MikeKey wrote:
RustyPW wrote:Hey Mikey. You can come and going camping with us at Rausch Creek. It's this weekend.
Ok, it's first and last name. And I hate Kix.

And that's like halfway across the country. :thppt:
Wrong Mike. I mean 2sticky. :lol:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:53 am

It's a common theme. I hear these stories all the time on the full-time RV sites and stuff. Worse than automotive dealers in a lot of ways.
-------
------

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:36 am

They certainly don't hold themselves to the same standards as the automotive world. They (most dealers) will deny it, but they are still stuck in the past, where if you didn't buy it from them, you get pushed way, way, way to the back of the line for service. (I'm a former RVIA Certified Tech.) Although, like any field, there are some like me who take pride in their work. It's just hard keeping good techs at the pay rate common in the industry.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

MSCH2112
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by MSCH2112 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:33 pm

this is so f' up with RV dealers AND manufacturers.

mike
2017 Ram 2500 Longhorn Cummins
295 60 R20 Nitto Ridge Graplers
Gooseneck
Pace Edwards elec.Metal Jacket bed cover
yeah and running boards for the wifey
Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

SOLD 2012 Power Wagon Laramie
w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

SOLD 2005 Power Wagon w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill

2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition

2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL

2016 Volvo XC90