Water pump replacement

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Water pump replacement

Post by GunniPWguy » Thu May 25, 2017 11:55 am

Truck is in the shop for what I am assuming will be a new water pump, pulleys, thermostat, serpentine belt, etc. :sick: This is all after a complete coolant system flush last month to get rid of the three different types of coolant that had been wrongfully added after them telling me they use some kind of chameleon coolant that works with anything and me like the dumbass that i am adding coolant that was orange just like the stuff that was in there not even realizing I was adding dex-cool and really F-ing things up. :wtf: I expressly said this time it's zerex G-05 or mopar as the only stuff i want to see being used. Wondering if the whole coolant mishap was the demise of my water pump?
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Re: Water pump replacement

Post by coder » Thu May 25, 2017 5:22 pm

GunniPWguy wrote:Truck is in the shop for what I am assuming will be a new water pump, pulleys, thermostat, serpentine belt, etc. :sick: This is all after a complete coolant system flush last month to get rid of the three different types of coolant that had been wrongfully added after them telling me they use some kind of chameleon coolant that works with anything and me like the dumbass that i am adding coolant that was orange just like the stuff that was in there not even realizing I was adding dex-cool and really F-ing things up. :wtf: I expressly said this time it's zerex G-05 or mopar as the only stuff i want to see being used. Wondering if the whole coolant mishap was the demise of my water pump?
I have flushed my cooling system a few times and have only ever used Mopar coolant and keep a spare jug of pre-mixed 50%/50% will distilled water on hand to top it off if needed. Zerex G-05 is supposed to be equivalent but is a different color.

I don't think mixing coolant would normally cause a water pump to fail but can potentially gunk-up your cooling system or maybe cause some corrosion problems.
Last edited by coder on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu May 25, 2017 7:35 pm

How much is all of that costing you ?

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Fri May 26, 2017 3:22 pm

TwinStick wrote:How much is all of that costing you ?
I got the water pump, thermostat, 18.00/gallon fancy zerex g-05 coolant, and serpentine belt installed for $498.00 My mechanic is a pretty reasonable dude. :) He said my pulleys were fine.
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon May 29, 2017 12:26 am

That very reasonable. So much so, that it really would not be worth doing it yourself ! :rockon:

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Tue May 30, 2017 10:51 am

Everything is back to normal with the coolant system. Happy. Although, they did forget to plug the windshield washer/coolant reservoirs back in! Makes me wonder what else they forgot to do. :doh:

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:03 pm

Just had another water pump (3rd one now) replaced under warranty last month.
Started running hot on my way up the mountain with a trailer in tow... added about half a gallon, continued running hot but within tolerance. Pissed coolant off and on, but didn't lose more than half a gallon.

Serp/tensioner both look fine... don't see anything unusual there.
Fan/clutch/etc was all replaced when the first WP grenaded in grand fashion.
Second one was probably torn up from chunks of the first one (along with a stuck t-stat).
This one was pissing out the weep hole.

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:05 am

I had to replace the water pump 2x. It is normally does to a combination of using non Mopar fluid and then outside factors like off roading and getting dirt on the pulley and not cleaning off quick enough.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2005 Dodge Power Wagon QC Black - "Laramie"
Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Kenwood KVT-719 w/ Garmin Navigation and Kenwood Rear Camera, JL Stealth Sub
Suspension/Protection Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Mule wrote:Just had another water pump (3rd one now) replaced under warranty last month.
Started running hot on my way up the mountain with a trailer in tow... added about half a gallon, continued running hot but within tolerance. Pissed coolant off and on, but didn't lose more than half a gallon.

Serp/tensioner both look fine... don't see anything unusual there.
Fan/clutch/etc was all replaced when the first WP grenaded in grand fashion.
Second one was probably torn up from chunks of the first one (along with a stuck t-stat).
This one was pissing out the weep hole.

Well that sucks. Are they Mopar water pumps? My new one is whatever carquest had in stock. Hopefully it isn't a total POS. :cash:

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Two were Napas. Not sure on the other one. Lifetime warranty, but still kind of a pain in the ass when it does go.
Two of the three have gone in May ... after a snowmo season.

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Good to know.