The knife discussion thread

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
TwinStick

Re: The knife discussion thread

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:05 pm

WOW....$660 for that folder !!! Another great blue-collar brand for fixed blades is BK&T by KaBar. Still Made in America, reasonably priced & VERY rugged. :rockon:

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:50 pm

So mentioned to my wife that I was fairly surprised that a bunch of you guys not only knew what an ESEE knife was but owned a few, and she replied "so you're saying guys that own power wagons are real men?" Yep
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:50 pm

Did someone say knife?
DSC_4227.jpg
And the flashlight I used to shoot this photo:
DSC_4231.jpg
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:40 am

My latest acquisitions from the 2013 WNY Knife Gathering.

3 boxes on the right are my daughters.

This is what they contain. KaBar #5602 Gamestalker. BK&T BK-10 Crewman. KaBar #5706 ZK Swabbie.

Mine are: BK&T BK-9, KaBar Johnson Adventure Blades (JAB) #5600 Potbelly w/piggyback blade, KaBar #5602 Gamestalker, & the bottom 2 are both BK&T BK-10's. Machete on the left is a custom modified Collins & Co. that i traded my small Kentucky belt axe for. Very impressed by the blades, the sheaths & the quality of both. :rockon:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Reviving an old thread. :D Waiting on a Boker Vox Rold in D2 tool steel and 2 Gerber Metolious also in D2 tool steel !!! :rockon:

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... BO292.html

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... /G734.html

:cheers:

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by w2dodge » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:31 pm

I like that boker

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:26 pm

I already have a regular Gerber Metolius. Absolutely LOVE it. VERY ergonomic for my habds. Like it was meant for me. :rockon:

If buying a Gerber, plan on about 3 or 4 sets of torx * micro torx drivers from HF, as all my Gerbers have been notorious for lose fasteners. Once you tighten them up, they are good to go.

:cheers:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:05 am

My 3 knives made from D2 tool steel arrived today. VERY impressed. Wicked sharp. D2 tool steel is supposed to stay sharp for a LONG time. I have another made from S7 tool steel, i have sharpened it once when new & have not had to resharpen it yet. Hopefully these are comparable to S7. :rockon:

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by w2dodge » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:20 pm

My benchmade...is d2 steel...I love it..and when it needed a sharpening..I sent it back to benchmade had done for free ..I just paid the postage. ..

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:02 pm

Kershaw Ken Onion Scallion is my go to knife. Gutted and skinned an entire elk with that bad boy and only needed to sharpen it a couple times.
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

Mexican Import
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by Mexican Import » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:48 pm

I never leave home without my benchmade.
Attachments
image.jpg

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:24 pm

So, it's been a while since I posted in this thread. My latest knife related project is: a display case that i made up for my daughter, to give to her when she graduates the Police Academy. She just received her Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice & literally scored higher than anyone has ever scored at her College before, literally, the top of her class. She hopes to be in the Academy by late fall. Anyways, the display case will hold 3 BK&T (Becker Knife & Tool) by Ka-Bar, that are signed on one side by Ethan Becker himself & by Paul Tsujimoto on the other side (the man in Ka-Bar that helped get them produced & the head of QControl @ Ka-Bar at that time). They are designated as a BK-15 on the bottom, BK-16 in the middle & BK-17 on the top.The sheath is the same for all 3. I also included some motivational sayings (the small metal pieces) glued on, a compass, The EXPLORE word & I will add a BK&T patch when I get in the mail. Kind of a "Get out there & Explore the World & Live your Life" thing, with some friggin cool, priceless blades. Hope she likes it. Here is a sneak peak before the final BK&T patch piece. Painted the inside with a tan/camo/spackle paint, to match the sheath.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:11 am

That's fantastic sir, excellent graduation present and congratulations to your daughter :rockon:
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:19 am

Wow! Nice work, Mr. Stick. Congratulations to your daughter, AND you and the Mrs. for "raising her right"!
Best of luck to her.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:30 am

Thank's a lot feller's !

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by w2dodge » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:17 pm

T...nice work and knives...and congrats to your daughter..

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:16 am

Thanks w2d.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:02 am

My kershaw tanto blur. It's ridden in my pocket for the last 10 years now and has done everything from cutting to prying to stabbing cans and bleeding deer. It literally has been used as everything but a knife at times. Spring assist finally broke internally last year. The grips material has fallen out. It's not all flat black anymore. I bought a new one. It's still in its box on a shelf. This baby holds an edge like you wouldn't believe. It gets the sharpener and hone every 6 months. Love this little tool. It goes in my pocket before I do up my belt everyday. I have a ton of different blades. But this one is the only utilized one daily.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

13BlkPowerWagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by 13BlkPowerWagon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:18 am

I carried a Blur for quite a while and really liked it. Loaned it to someone and never got it back. Replaced it with a Benchmade Griptilian and carried that for about 3 years before upgrading to a Benchmade 940-1. By far the nicest EDC knife I've seen. I had them send me a deep carry clip, and its so discrete I can wear with with a suit without anyone noticing. The S90V steel is kind of a PITA to sharpen (Edge Pro with a diamond stone is the only thing that'll give it a good edge), but it just doesn't dull... So light, and small, it disappears in a pocket, but has a good sized blade I would trust my life with.

If I'm wearing bigger clothing, or doing other chores, I carry a ZT 0560 Hinderer folder. Bit bigger and beefier than the 940-1, and the ELMAX steel is almost as resilient, but a lot easier to sharpen. Much larger blade as well. It doesn't hide as well, and sometimes that's a good thing. I'd rather show that I'm carrying that big blade than have to pull the Sig P938.

While I have a few fixed camp knives (Kabar and Case mostly, but Cold Steel and Gerber fixed as well), you can't carry them discreetly, and NY doesn't take kindly to walking around with a 5" blade on your hip around town... So, they get relegated to camp/hunting/field work duty.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:21 pm

Hell, I walked into a gas station & waited in line to pay in advance for my gas the the stupid woman clerk saw the clip on the outside of my pocket & said "What's the weapon for?" I said excuse me, what weapon? She said the knife in your pocket. I said that is NOT a weapon, it is a tool. She said Pfffft. So, I asked the woman in line behind me "do you cut your steak with a weapon? She said no. I then asked the clerk, do you cut bread, prepare food or open packages with a weapon ? She said no. I said exactly, ANYTHING CAN be used as a weapon, but until it is used in an illegal manner, it is a TOOL! :rockon:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:40 pm

All done & complete !

Hope she likes it.

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by adeluca73 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:08 am

Thats awesome!!!! :rockon:
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by adeluca73 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:17 am

I'm also a kife slut. Last time I checked, the count is over 25.

My faves are my issued Benchmade auto combat. My carry knife is a SS ¾ serrated Spyderco and a Havalon EVT. My MUT is a Leatherman wave. My hunting MUT is a Swiss Multi-tool. My dressing knife is a Havalon scapel Hydra dual blade knife.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>