OffroadTreks - 2015 Power Wagon Laramie #RockLander Build

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
TwinStick

Re: BoldAdventures 2015 Power Wagon Build

Post by TwinStick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Better pics of bumper are in order ! :lol:

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Hammerballs wrote:What do you think MikeKey, any plausible way of drilling the holes to mount the six front Park Sense sensors?
The angles on this bumper are all wrong for the park sensors. They'd be aimed in weird directions I'd feel. But hey, certainly possible.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

BoldAdventures 2015 Power Wagon Build

Post by yellowranger1 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:28 pm

I might be mistaken but I think you mentioned installing one of the 4.8 amp blue sea USB ports? Did you ever get around to installing it? If so, have you been happy with it? I've had one sitting around for a while and I'm finally going to give it a go when I get home.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 23, 2017 7:01 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:I might be mistaken but I think you mentioned installing one of the 4.8 amp blue sea USB ports? Did you ever get around to installing it? If so, have you been happy with it? I've had one sitting around for a while and I'm finally going to give it a go when I get home.
Yes I did install it. Just no photos of it.

I am incredibly happy. I posted awhile back in my stories on Instagram. I popped out the factory USB that is on the dash opposite of the factory 12v. I wired it directly with an inline fuse. I charges A LOT faster, and I really mean a lot. We keep the kiddo's entertained with movies on the ipads. So having those recharge fast is essential to our road sanity. Unlike the cheap ones which are 2.1 and 1.2 amps, both ports on Blue Sea's are 4.8 amps each. :cheers:
-------
------

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:23 pm

No wonder I couldn't find a post about it, they all disappeared lol. Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Keeping a tablet charged while using maps/music etc simultaneously has been a struggle. Going to knock that out before hitting the road this weekend.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 23, 2017 11:11 pm

A highlight reel from our 15 days in Moab.
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

-------
------

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Thu May 25, 2017 11:15 am

Awesome Vid, you use your truck the way it was meant to be used. Awesome !!! Id love to make it out to Moab one day, not that far for me.
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

Shaved Ice
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Shaved Ice » Sat May 27, 2017 6:22 am

Great video. That front bumper made the difference on several of those approaches.
2017 Power Wagon
Laramie
Granite Crystal Metallic
Rambox
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders

2007 Power Wagon (sold)

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat May 27, 2017 10:16 am

Yeah, it's letting me take more difficult approaches. Or at least attempt things. It really cuts down the need to spot for the bumper. Which means less worry on the trail.
-------
------

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sun May 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Yea, not only do you now have much more ground clearance and approach angle up front, but you have a bumper that can handle being pushed up and over rocks and tree's without causing any damage (other than missing paint). That would make wheeling a lot more worry free.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Future Plans:

Been working on this, so thought I'd share some details. I plan on removing my White Knuckle Sliders and moving them closer to the body and then welding them to the frame.

Pinch Seam has got to go. About 2 inches from the lower rocker panel is to be cut off. Then a new piece will be welded in, after that, it's going over to the Rhino Liner guy, spraying the lower rocker with color matched Rhino Liner. Afterwards, the sliders are getting modified.

This year in Moab they smacked on too many things. Things that the rocker panels themselves wouldn't have smacked. That's what they are there for, but it's annoying when your slider is a hang up.
Attachments
Rocker-Panel-Mods-2.jpg
-------
------

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:04 pm

That's one of the best mods of the DPP build. They also cut the rear of the bed and had a custom Mercenary bumper made. The AEV bumper looked 6 inches lower than the rest of the truck.
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:That's one of the best mods of the DPP build. They also cut the rear of the bed and had a custom Mercenary bumper made. The AEV bumper looked 6 inches lower than the rest of the truck.
Yup their build has some great ideas, I've been conversing with them. I am going to be cutting my rear fenders too and with DamageWagons help, adding a bumper in this same style. We'll be in your area when he finally gets his butt up to Portland. Thuren is also in Bend, so gonna have to pay him a visit too.

The White Knuckles are great, but honestly, they sit too low.

A lot of Toyota's have wrap around bumpers with side protection. And other than using that 3rd gen bumper, no one makes a bumper for us with side protection. I need to drop on and slide off mine. That's the level or protection I want.
-------
------

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:27 pm

WHOA!!!! That's commitment there, cutting into those rockers!!! :jawdrop:

I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out! :rockon:

I am 100% on the same page rear bumper design wise! I have already cut my rear fenders and yet I have still snagged one of them on a rock! I plan to build a wrap around rear bumper as well. I think my plan is to use an RV hitch (simple 4" bar, conveniently the same size Thuren's brackets are design for (a nice coincIdence considering the fact that I bought the hitch about a year before Thuren released their brackets!) as the center section and then using a 1.5x3 .188 wall rectangular tubing plated with .25 for the wrap around side skids. (since the 1.5x3 side tubing has to sit lower than the 4x4 due to the bed's reinforcements, the .25 plate will be an outer skin on it to make it visually match) So, the rear bumper (with integrated hitch) will sit not but the tiniest bit lower than the actual frame rails of my truck. The only potential issue I see (that won't be an issue for you) is that since my truck is leaf spring rear suspension,with this design, my spring shackles will be my lowest rear point. But, since they would not actually interfere with departure angle, I think they'd be difficult to end up hitting. (I hope!) The only reason why I say "I think my plan is" is because I am still debating how to mount my rear winch. I have an idea for how to do it with the max clearance bumper described above BUT, I am not 100% certain how doable my idea is. I may have to do a lower hanging center section wrap around bumper to be able to incorporate the winch in a non-complicated manner.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 am

RAM4ROKS wrote:WHOA!!!! That's commitment there, cutting into those rockers!!! :jawdrop:

I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out! :rockon:

I am 100% on the same page rear bumper design wise! I have already cut my rear fenders and yet I have still snagged one of them on a rock! I plan to build a wrap around rear bumper as well. I think my plan is to use an RV hitch (simple 4" bar, conveniently the same size Thuren's brackets are design for (a nice coincIdence considering the fact that I bought the hitch about a year before Thuren released their brackets!) as the center section and then using a 1.5x3 .188 wall rectangular tubing plated with .25 for the wrap around side skids. (since the 1.5x3 side tubing has to sit lower than the 4x4 due to the bed's reinforcements, the .25 plate will be an outer skin on it to make it visually match) So, the rear bumper (with integrated hitch) will sit not but the tiniest bit lower than the actual frame rails of my truck. The only potential issue I see (that won't be an issue for you) is that since my truck is leaf spring rear suspension,with this design, my spring shackles will be my lowest rear point. But, since they would not actually interfere with departure angle, I think they'd be difficult to end up hitting. (I hope!) The only reason why I say "I think my plan is" is because I am still debating how to mount my rear winch. I have an idea for how to do it with the max clearance bumper described above BUT, I am not 100% certain how doable my idea is. I may have to do a lower hanging center section wrap around bumper to be able to incorporate the winch in a non-complicated manner.
Man that is a plan! I got a crunched rear fender in Moab on stupid Steel Bender just because I let my guard down. I keep seeing pictures of Toyota Tacomas with those nice wrap around bumpers, and then saw the work those guys at DPP did. Other than smacking the hitch all the time, I know for sure I want to cut the fenders and do a wrap around. We'll see how it turns out.
-------
------

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:39 am

So, I'm still waiting on my friend Marcus to finish his move to Portland before the major work on the truck begins. In the meantime, I've been just exploring Idaho and SE Oregon more on the weekends and doing some camping with the family to gauge what we need as we move this truck to the next phase. And more towards a hybrid overland/tow rig.

Over Memorial Day weekend, we loaded up the truck and did our first camping trip in years! Wife and I haven't been camping since 2013. We don't really count living in or traveling in the Airstream as camping. (It's more like our mobile house) We attempted to do the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route, however, most of it was all closed and we got turned around on several sections that were opened by downed trees and washed out roads.

Overall, we had a really great time. Our girls did great and seemed to have a good time.

The trip helped us cement some ideas, about ground tent vs RTT. We're sure now that we do want to build a custom rack and add a RTT to the truck. Ground camping just isn't for us anymore. And we can see ourselves moving from spot to spot a little more frequently.

We did find a beautiful dispersed spot along the South Fork of the Payette River.

-------
------

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:47 am

Nice Pics!! Snow looks good about now. lol
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:22 am

That's absolutely beautiful! Looks like a great time sir :rockon:
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:33 pm

Those are some Awesome pics! :cheers:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

BoldAdventures 2015 Power Wagon Build

Post by yellowranger1 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

I'd chop the rear fender in a heartbeat if there were a good looking wraparound/high clearance bumper option. That's the route I eventually want to go since I'd like a bumper with tire carrier on it. I spoke to mercenary, and it would be a custom job since there isn't really enough demand to make them a regular production high clearance bumper for the 14+ trucks.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:45 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:I'd chop the rear fender in a heartbeat if there were a good looking wraparound/high clearance bumper option. That's the route I eventually want to go since I'd like a bumper with tire carrier on it. I spoke to mercenary, and it would be a custom job since there isn't really enough demand to make them a regular production high clearance bumper for the 14+ trucks.
DamageWagon has some ideas. If you look what he produces, I think the plan is to get into custom fab himself. :cheers: Which means he'll probably be producing something for us.
-------
------

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:52 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:I'd chop the rear fender in a heartbeat if there were a good looking wraparound/high clearance bumper option. That's the route I eventually want to go since I'd like a bumper with tire carrier on it. I spoke to mercenary, and it would be a custom job since there isn't really enough demand to make them a regular production high clearance bumper for the 14+ trucks.
I have a design in my head that I need to throw into CAD, but picture a square tube as the center of the bumper, a swing-out tire carrier, and wrap-around tubing that fills in the pressed inset in the sides of the bed where the factory bumper goes. I want the tube to go in there for side/corner protection and to wrap underneath to slide off obstacles. I'm also considering a removable tow hitch to gain a huge chunk of clearance.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Hello MikeKey, beautiful country looks like the family had a good time, how'd the PW perform on the trip, snowy roads cause any traction problems?
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:36 pm

coder wrote:Hello MikeKey, beautiful country looks like the family had a good time, how'd the PW perform on the trip, snowy roads cause any traction problems?
That snow was deep enough that it required the use of serious chains. I have the kind that you use on the road, not like legit heavy duty snow chains. Just the, "going over this mountain pass" chains. We didn't go up it too far, as I was concerned about getting stuck, and it proceeded to get deeper and deeper. Maybe about 2 miles back. Just ended up turning around and heading back out off that route. Overall though, no traction issues for the slush/snow section. But it did feel like we might get buried if I pushed on. I think you can gauge that from the photo.
-------
------

Hammerballs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hammerballs » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:42 pm

For the rear tire carrier I have been considering having someone local fab up a rear bumper with a removable tire carrier. Simply because there are occasions where I want to use the bed with the tailgate down. If I go to 37s however I won't be able to fit a spare underneath so I would want the tire carrier for the spare if I'm heading too far from home or rolling terrain with tire dangers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
2016 Laramie Power Wagon