adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: 10mm Doubles

Post by adeluca73 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:16 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
adeluca73 wrote:
Then I cam across the "Big Rock" from Rock Island Armory (RIA). A true double stack 16rnd 1911 (called a 2011) long slide competition race/pro gun inspired configuration. They are still over $1000, which is a lot for a RIA, but they are feature packed, and cost about half of a comparable spec'd gun of another "major" brand even though RIA has been making guns since the '40's, Here's a link to it:

http://armscor.com/firearms/pro-series/ ... 6-hc-10mm/
By the way, the RIA pistol is not a "2011" pattern double stack, it is a Para P18. 2011 guns use a polymer grip and chassis and take specific 2011 pattern magazines. The 2011 magazines are the gold standard for double stack open race guns, P18 mags are somewhere between AIDS and Honda. They can be made to work, some work pretty well...some are a nightmare. Para was bought by Remington which seems to be prophetic since both have about the same level of poor quality.
Not sure about the 2011 vs P18, and at this point of my research, that point is picking the pepper out of the fly shit. I called it a 2011 because one of the reviews I read in TruthAboutGuns called it that, and I didn't really pay that much attention to the grip material to care, reference attached, 1st Paragraph, 2nd Sentence: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/0 ... 0mm-1911s/ ---- also there are several youtube vids showing a STI 2011 mag fitting and cycling in the RIA Pro 6" Ultra HC 10mm.

Also, because you've had a bad Remington gun doesn't mean they are all bad, and from reading your postings here, you're too bright to make such sweeping assertions. Similarly the near perfect history (with some notable exceptions from early 2000's) with the nearly 10 or so Remington's I've owned and currently own, are not a statistically significant sample to provide any z-hypothesis verified measured of confidence in their quality either. I have 3x M700s, pump 35Rem, 3x various 870s, 1100, 1187, 1100G3 (poor qual), 105CTi (poor qual), and a newly purchased wood stock V3. The new R51 and V3 have had years of R&D, millions of rounds of testing, and dozens of aerospace level mil-std type tesitng since they hired their new CEO from the LMMS aeronautics division. I've watched several Remington engineering documentaries, and read several engineering studies on Remington's new processes and company motto that they WILL NOT release a product until it's both over 99.9% reliable and is produced in sufficient quantities so all of their major distributors can field them at once. The work they did on the v2 of the R51 is astounding, and the way they mindfully ensured all the v1 R51 customers were completely taken care of is rarely seen. They announced the synthetic version of their 3" only version of the Versamx, called the V3 in SHOT '13, but didn't released the synthetic V3 until later in 2015 to do more production gun testing (millions more rounds), which was already after several yrs of testing and iterating on their already successful 3.5" Versamax, which uses the same M2 gas piston design, proven by the US military in combat for years. When they announced the wood stock model at Shot 2015, they didn't release the production guns until Dec 16 to verify small gas system and hand guard fitting changes. The V3 I have is a top notch semi auto that is attractive, light weight, points well, balances well, has a great tigger, and has been flawless for under $750. I have several $2500+ semis from "the big 3 European companies" that aren't a whole lot better, and a $5K Beretta competition O/U whose fit and finish isn't 10x better. No company is perfect, but Remington has demonstrated serious dedication to customers and fixing their lapses under the dereliction of Cerbeus leadership from 10-15 yrs ago, I would pump the bakes on denigrating Remington...I think we all should root for Rem and Colt to stay in business, it's good for more than the obvious reasons.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:45 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
adeluca73 wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:I think you're missing out if you don't at least look at a Tanfo / EAA Witness Hunter 10mm. It's a 10mm in a CZ style race frame with a tuned CZ style ignition system. As good as the Dan Wesson and better than everything else you listed. http://eaacorp.com/index.php/guns/handg ... foglio-109

I had a Sig 1911, what an abortion. They broached the magwell crooked and nothing lined up. Sig replaced that pistol three times and never got it right. Any time I hear Sig USA and "match" in the same sentence I can't help but laugh.
No, I have looked at both EAA & STI. Not a huge CZ fan (had a CZ75 long time ago, it was ehh) especially of its Italian knock-off Tangfolio, & we'll disagree on where EAA resides in the pantheon of firearm manufacturers. The Witness Hunter is a very similiar product as the RIA Big Rock 2011, right? Both are supped up race spec double 10's from a traditionally lower tier priced company, selling remakes of other established designs, at price friendly levels--RIA Big Rock 2011 MSRP : $1300, EAA Witness Hunter MSRP : $1300. I think your assertion "better than everything else listed" is a long stretch, unverified, and not substantiated by any measure of demonstrable standards. But im open to reviewing data or other info stating thus--but it is a great looking gun, maybe if i can find one at a irresistible price ($950-$1K is street $) I'd give it a go, can always trade it off if it's not for me.

I don't want to spend $2K for an STI (although they're awesome, like a Caspian) if I don't have to. The Sig 1911 isn't a high contender right now, but the P220 elite is.

Honestly $1K is my comfort zone, maybe $1300 if i really loved something. The Wesson is still above my price range, but it's the gold std in 10mm in my opinion, which brings the Delta Elite in strong contention with the RIA double.
In the end what you want is what you want, no data in the world will change that. The only real way to demonstrate quality is to personally hold each example. Tanfo makes raceguns that go head to head with STI, they also make lower end guns but that isn't their main business. I wouldn't put a Filipino pot metal gun in the same category as an upper end Tanfo regardless of the RIA's pricepoint. Call it a knockoff or not, it's just silly. Of course, CZ makes race guns too and if the extent of your experience with the brand is a 1980 PD surplus gun then I don't know what to tell you. My built Shadow is nowhere close to "ehh".

As I said, I wouldn't buy from any of the companies you listed; Remington's QC is absolutely terrible right now, Colt is on the verge of bankruptcy, Kimber is still in love with MIM and poor QC, and RIA is a low end asian 1911. The quality of 1911's in the last 20 years has not improved, you're going to pay top dollar for low quality parts. Dan Wesson (CZ) is the only company you listed that seems to care about quality and actually makes a good product. The point about Sig is that their US built guns aren't the same quality as the German models despite the high price.

Frankly, the major selling point of the 10mm is that it is available in a double stack. Once you reduce magazine capacity to seven or eight rounds you may as well buy a wheelie gun with big horsepower. 10mm was always marketed as having close to 357mag energy in a high capacity magazine and relatively short barrel. There are only a couple of 10mm pistols on the market that are decent quality and high capacity and you already own one of them. My short list for 10mm is Glock and Tanfo. They are the only two high capacity 10mm guns in current production that were purpose built for the cartridge.

FWIW,YMMV

ETA: DW does the Razor Back in 10mm for $1400. Not cheap but less than $2K. http://danwessonfirearms.com/product/razorback-rz-10/
I agree once i relent on the DS 10mm, then the trade space opens up. I do want a 1911 10mm. Does it have to be a double, meh, I'd prefer it but I'd live with a single since I already have a DS 10mm in the G40. However, I think you'd be surprised if you did a little reading on the RIA story--they're a 110 yr old manufacturer, According to my research, Rock Island Armory traces its origins to Squires Bingham & Co, founded in 1905 in Manila by a couple of British expats as a photo print shop. The store later morphed into a sporting goods concern offering sporting long guns and ammunition. Later acquired by an American, Arthur Hileman, in the 1930s.
http://www.gunsandtech.com/reviews/rob- ... ck-driver/

I have read extensively on the EAA Witness Hunter since yesterday, and the overwhelming opinion is that EAA's customer service is horrendous. The reviews of the pistol have been generally favorable, but not more than the RIA, and no where near as favorable as RIA's customer service. I've been reading on every forum I can find and every paid reviewer that has reviewed the RIA Pro 6" Ultra HC and I can't find a single negative review or a single instance of failing (aside from some female limp wristers), however, the inter webs are replete with EAA Witness 10mm failure videos, here's the first vid that popped up, which the reviewer called it the Tangfolio Witness Jammomatic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiXFPsNzikw. I haven't shot or even seen a EAA Witness Hunter, so it's hard to make judgements on something I haven't seen, although the documented usage from other owners presents dramatically different evidence than your experience and opinions on the two, and much like the RIA, both of them are very scarce. I think both RIA and EAA/Tangfolio probably are capable of producing fine upper end runners--not sure about the Witness Hunter, but the RIA Pro Ultra HC is hand fitted, polished, and lapped at the factory by ONE guy, hence why that gun is several hundreds more than many of their other products-- the problem is those guns start creeping up in $ to compete with other well established higher tiered makers.

As far as singles, no debate the US Sigs are not the same as those made in Germany. I own two German made SIGs a P220 Elite and a P239 SAS, and it's blasphemy to intimate that anything from RIA, CZ, or EAA approach the reliability and go to war proven track record of either Colt or SIG, which I know you were not implying. If the P220 Elite Hunter was more than an 8 and gun, search would be over. But for the price and only 8 rounds, can't do it. The new 2016 Colt Delta Elite has some great upgrades over the reintroduced 2008 model, and I've seen it on line in the $920 ballpark, and it's available in plenty of places. The EAA and RIA are not so easily available.
<Build Thread>

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:30 am

F'it...ordered a SS 6" Caspian slide & Race Ready Rcvr, Bar-Sto 6" semi-fit bbl, Ed Brown/Caspian internals, Ed Brown Bomar sights, and Wolff tunable long slide spring pack, Gonna build my own.
<Build Thread>

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:19 pm

adeluca73 wrote:F'it...ordered a SS 6" Caspian slide & Race Ready Rcvr, Bar-Sto 6" semi-fit bbl, Ed Brown/Caspian internals, Ed Brown Bomar sights, and Wolff tunable long slide spring pack, Gonna build my own.
Respect! That's the right way. Did you get a ramped barrel?

The RIA/Armscor guns are getting used in USPSA and the reviews are pretty luke warm. Most of the negative comments center around poor quality internal parts. You're better off building your own.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:40 am

That does sound like a plan. Just wondering...what was the total investment?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LumberZach
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by LumberZach » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:56 am

Stay away from colt, Kimber, and Remington if you want my opinion. If I were to go for a 10mm 1911 I would look at rock island first for value. But I would probably recommend something a little higher end like nighthawk. It'll be spendy, but when you move away from the traditional 1911 in .45 a lot of things change and you won't regret buying a top end 1911.

I just got a G20 in 10mm that I am starting to use more and more. I've been a long time advocate of 1911's though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:00 am

The other option is to buy any 1911/2011 you want in 40sw and then have the barrel reamed to 10mm Auto. The only difference is the chamber and recoil spring.

LumberZach
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by LumberZach » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:04 am

Reloaderguy wrote:The other option is to buy any 1911/2011 you want in 40sw and then have the barrel reamed to 10mm Auto. The only difference is the chamber and recoil spring.
I wouldn't recommend this route if you are going to shoot hot loaded 10mm. That would be a recipe for disaster.

I have seen several sti's come with both a .40 and a 10 barrel though.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:42 am

LumberZach wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:The other option is to buy any 1911/2011 you want in 40sw and then have the barrel reamed to 10mm Auto. The only difference is the chamber and recoil spring.
I wouldn't recommend this route if you are going to shoot hot loaded 10mm. That would be a recipe for disaster.

LOL, do you realize what you just said?

LumberZach
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by LumberZach » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:49 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
LumberZach wrote:

LOL, do you realize what you just said?
You do what you want, but I don't want to be standing next to you when you're pushing a heavy 10mm out of a cheap barrel made for 40 sw. YMMV.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:09 pm

It's the same barrel. 40S&W has a higher chamber pressure than 10mm Auto anyway.

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:40 am

LumberZach wrote:Stay away from colt, Kimber, and Remington if you want my opinion. If I were to go for a 10mm 1911 I would look at rock island first for value. But I would probably recommend something a little higher end like nighthawk. It'll be spendy, but when you move away from the traditional 1911 in .45 a lot of things change and you won't regret buying a top end 1911.

I just got a G20 in 10mm that I am starting to use more and more. I've been a long time advocate of 1911's though.

I have a 6" G40 10mm w/ Meprolight sights, great gun. I have Colts & Kimbers, and I dont agree they are not quality guns. They are excellent production level guns. I have never had any issues with any of mine. They feed & eject flawlessly & group as good as any Ed Brown I've seen. I don't have any experience with Remington 1911's, so no comment. And of course they're not a $4K botique handmade Nighthawk, STI, Ed Brown, Les Baer, or Wilson, so that's a faulty comparison.
<Build Thread>

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:48 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
adeluca73 wrote:F'it...ordered a SS 6" Caspian slide & Race Ready Rcvr, Bar-Sto 6" semi-fit bbl, Ed Brown/Caspian internals, Ed Brown Bomar sights, and Wolff tunable long slide spring pack, Gonna build my own.

The RIA/Armscor guns are getting used in USPSA and the reviews are pretty luke warm. Most of the negative comments center around poor quality internal parts. You're better off building your own.
No ramped bbl, I was going w/ a wilson ramp, but then talked w/ Caspian's Gunsmith's & they strongly recommended against it if I wasn't an accomplished machinest or smith. I talked w/ Bar-Sto & they concurred. We discussed shooting original Norma spec ammo & they said they have no data supporting excessive case flare, buldge, or expansion w/ standard bbl ramps & said the original FBI S&W 1046 or Colt's original 10mm submission didn't have ramped bbls. So f'it, one less thing to dick with. This will already take me most of the summer to build. I can always have the ramps cut in later if necessary.
<Build Thread>

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:56 am

Rodeoflyer wrote:That does sound like a plan. Just wondering...what was the total investment?

Uh...well not sure. I'll have to check my super OCD parts/Vendor spreadsheet. I have it broken down by receiver, bbl, slide. I have a friend that built a standard, plain, SS, original 1911 and he spent about $1300. Mine is a 6", magwell receiver, flat top, front/rear serrations, serrated top, LPI mainspring & rcvr front, so that all adds up, + the bbl is about $70 more than a std 1911 bbl. Roughly, I'd say I'm in about $1600-$1700 for a gun that's equivalent to a $4500 gun when completed. Just need the slide & rcvr to come in. I'll post pics once it's all here.
<Build Thread>

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:57 am

Pics would be great. That's going to be a very fine handgun.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:11 am

adeluca73 wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:

No ramped bbl, I was going w/ a wilson ramp, but then talked w/ Caspian's Gunsmith's & they strongly recommended against it if I wasn't an accomplished machinest or smith. I talked w/ Bar-Sto & they concurred. We discussed shooting original Norma spec ammo & they said they have no data supporting excessive case flare, buldge, or expansion w/ standard bbl ramps & said the original FBI S&W 1046 or Colt's original 10mm submission didn't have ramped bbls. So f'it, one less thing to dick with. This will already take me most of the summer to build. I can always have the ramps cut in later if necessary.
My experience building 1911 is limited to 45ACP, at one time I was planning a 9mm build but didn't end up doing it (can't remember why). I built a Caspian single stack 1911 10 years ago using the Excel OCD method you're doing. It was a fun project. I've also done a few project 1911 starting from donor frames and slides. My reference to the ramped barrel is mainly from 40S&W 2011 race guns but those are chassis systems. I would think that so long as you don't try to reduce the barrel relief above the frame ramp you will have plenty of chamber support. Your G40 probably has less chamber support than a .40 1911. I've been kicking around a 2011 idea but after building 1911's I think I'll probably end up with a CZ TS or buying a used STI.

Are you doing a bushing barrel or bull?

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Rodeoflyer wrote:Pics would be great. That's going to be a very fine handgun.

Yes sir, I think it will too, & although not recommended, I'll shoot some 40S&W out of it & compare to low pwr 10mm tgt loads & look at case expansion, eject patterns, and extractor markings.
<Build Thread>

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
My experience building 1911 is limited to 45ACP, at one time I was planning a 9mm build but didn't end up doing it (can't remember why). I built a Caspian single stack 1911 10 years ago using the Excel OCD method you're doing. It was a fun project. I've also done a few project 1911 starting from donor frames and slides. My reference to the ramped barrel is mainly from 40S&W 2011 race guns but those are chassis systems. I would think that so long as you don't try to reduce the barrel relief above the frame ramp you will have plenty of chamber support. Your G40 probably has less chamber support than a .40 1911. I've been kicking around a 2011 idea but after building 1911's I think I'll probably end up with a CZ TS or buying a used STI.

Are you doing a bushing barrel or bull?
Standard Bushing. More slide cost and more Bbl cost w/ a friction fit flared bbl (Caspian calls it a tgt cut). BarSto again recommended against that for my 1st complete build. If this is as fun as I'm hoping (well as fun as filing and stoning can be), I'll build a 38s or 9mm double w/ the Bull Bbl.
<Build Thread>

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:55 pm

I hate to say it but 1911's really don't hold their value. If you watch a few competition forums you can pick up some good name brand guns for less than you can build one. Building your own is a worthwhile endeavor but it's not cost effective in the least. I can't wait to see the final result, I'm certain you're going to love it.

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:26 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:I hate to say it but 1911's really don't hold their value. If you watch a few competition forums you can pick up some good name brand guns for less than you can build one. Building your own is a worthwhile endeavor but it's not cost effective in the least. I can't wait to see the final result, I'm certain you're going to love it.
Selling it never crossed my mind. Fourms aren't my thing. I've spent more hrs than I care on Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, & similar, and a quality 1911 10mm (Nighthawk, EB, LB, etc) are not available for under $2500, hence the decision to buikd my own equivalent gun...which will be under $1700 all in. There's never an EB for sale, especislly in 10mm, and they don't even sell a long slide. Here's a Nighthawk close to what I'm building, except in SS: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/655865436
Attachments
IMG_0225.PNG
29x Nighthawk 10mm available, none under $2500
<Build Thread>

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:13 pm

adeluca73 wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:I hate to say it but 1911's really don't hold their value. If you watch a few competition forums you can pick up some good name brand guns for less than you can build one. Building your own is a worthwhile endeavor but it's not cost effective in the least. I can't wait to see the final result, I'm certain you're going to love it.
Selling it never crossed my mind. Fourms aren't my thing. I've spent more hrs than I care on Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, & similar, and a quality 1911 10mm (Nighthawk, EB, LB, etc) are not available for under $2500, hence the decision to buikd my own equivalent gun...which will be under $1700 all in. There's never an EB for sale, especislly in 10mm, and they don't even sell a long slide. Here's a Nighthawk close to what I'm building, except in SS: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/655865436
I wasn't under the impression we were ever discussing custom guns. You're definitely right that you can't get into a full custom (or even semi-custom) from a big name for what it's going to cost to build your own.

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
I wasn't under the impression we were ever discussing custom guns. You're definitely right that you can't get into a full custom (or even semi-custom) from a big name for what it's going to cost to build your own.
Ha, well we weren't initially, the OP was trying to get input on a ~$1000-$1500 10mm double, wasn't digging the options, & after discussing with a fellow Colonel and gun nut in the Pentagon, I started looking at more custom offerings, & when I realized they were all well north of $2500, I started investigating the process of building my own custom gun exactly the way I'd spec out a Nighthawk or EB, and quickly realized i was easily under ⅓ the cost. This has evolved, like Hillary's position on everything, & Obama's position on the definition of marriage, transgender soldiers, same sex military couples, the Red Line in Syria etc.
<Build Thread>

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

It’s done

Post by adeluca73 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:46 am

The 10mm custom hand built gun is done. It was fun. It was frustrating at times. Certain phases were very tedious. It required a lot of reading, measuring, marking, machining, sanding, stoning, polishing, & patience, but it’s about 99% done.

All in: ~nearly $2K & 60hrs labor

I have put 250rnds testing through it & the lower lugs at the knee still require minor stoning. I’ve been tuning it for a month now—chasing down vertical stringing, few FTF, few times slide doesnt go last 1/16” into battery, tuning spring lengths & strength, etc. The last 10% has taken longer than anticipated, but I think it’s done now.
<Build Thread>

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Have you tuned the mags? Double stack 1911s are very sensitive to feed lip geometry. Stem-bind feed malfunctions are often related to magazines.

Do you have Jerry Kuhnhausen's book?

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:13 pm
Have you tuned the mags? Double stack 1911s are very sensitive to feed lip geometry. Stem-bind feed malfunctions are often related to magazines.

Do you have Jerry Kuhnhausen's book?
1. Went with single stack---I know the thread started as a desire for a double stack 1911--the cost for a Caspian double stack frame and all the associated "special" parts was growing faster than I could justify spending, like north of $3K.

2. Yes I have that book and the complete Ed Brown 1911 shop manual. The Ed Brown manual (really a CD you can use on your computer/or print the PDF) was easier to read, better pictures, and more succinct. I relied mostly on the Ed Brown manual, and then consulted the Kuhnuausen and another for deeper details on measurements and machining guides as needed.

3. Mags--another headache. Since I got the flared magwell frame, it as everything else on this build was way over tolerance, thus I had to machine out the flared portion to get any magazines to seat--that was several hrs and a few trips to the range to finally get it right--a lot of material had to be removed. I am using Mec-Gar Stainless 8rnd dedicated 10mm mags and have a Dawson Precision 10rnd 10mm mag on order.

4. Pics coming forthwith.
<Build Thread>