17 power wagon. A few question

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

17 power wagon. A few question

Post by HeavyDuty » Wed May 17, 2017 10:32 pm

Just bought my first ram. I've been a loyal Chevy owner until they started making there 4x4s like cars. And let me say that I am impressed. I opted for the leather luxury package which seems to be quite rare. Any ways I know this question has been beat to death but I'm looking for a way to lock my rear diffs as well as unlock my stabilizer bar in two wheel drive. I know that I can get to 75% of the places I go if I had the rear diff locked. All the info I find is for the older pws. Thanks for the help in advance. Oh by the way. I found out how to get rid of my seatbelt chime if anybody is interested.
ONE SHOT, ONE KILL, NO EXCEPTIONS
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: 17 power wagon. A few question

Post by ramv » Wed May 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Need info on seatbelt chime.

I bought BD's 2wd Low kit which allows you to operate the sway bar in 2hi/lo and the rear locker in 2lo.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-power-10 ... unloc.aspx
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Wed May 17, 2017 11:14 pm

Thanks for the info. To get rid of the chime. Plug seatbelt in. Turn key to on but not start. Unplug and plug seatbelt in three times under ten seconds. Turn key off and you will hear a chime. That's it. No more chime.
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Wed May 17, 2017 11:59 pm

ramv wrote:Need info on seatbelt chime.

I bought BD's 2wd Low kit which allows you to operate the sway bar in 2hi/lo and the rear locker in 2lo.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-power-10 ... unloc.aspx
That's very ineresting, hadn't heard of it. Have you installed it yet? What are your thoughts on it? Does the swaybar still engage at 18mph?
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Thu May 18, 2017 12:10 am

Yes. Like it a lot. Allows the stability control to be turned off in 2 hi. 18 mph still reengages sway bar. (Which probably is ok, it disengages when you drop below 18 mph)

As well, in the future, any CAD issue would allow me to flip the switch to keep the computer happy and manually engage the CAD>
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Thu May 18, 2017 2:30 am

ramv wrote:Yes. Like it a lot. Allows the stability control to be turned off in 2 hi. 18 mph still reengages sway bar. (Which probably is ok, it disengages when you drop below 18 mph)

As well, in the future, any CAD issue would allow me to flip the switch to keep the computer happy and manually engage the CAD>
Do you get the 4LO throttle mapping when using the switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Thu May 18, 2017 9:53 am

So this kit allows you to unlock the sway bar and lock the rear diff in 2 hi? If so I'm sold.
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

aearles
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by aearles » Thu May 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Just for a little clarification, you'd still have to shift your tcase into 4HI, all this kit does is disengage the front driveshaft electronically. So 4HI essentially remains 2HI but the truck thinks it's in 4WD. 4LO becomes 2LO, which could be beneficial for other purposes, and was the original intention of this kit, but it also allows (both) lockers to be engaged. This is not the same as the locker/smartbar bypass kits previously available.
2015 Laramie | 35" KO2's, WKOR Sliders, AEV Diff Covers, ARE Z Series Cap, Viair 450 OBA, Kenwood D710G.
Aaron | Ham: NØMAD

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Thu May 18, 2017 7:39 pm

That's correct. You flip the switch, shift the t case to 4hi, which prevents the CAD from engaging. This allows you to turn off stability control and disconnect the sway bar without having the front bind up on you on higher traction surface.

If you engage 4lo with the switch engaged, power only goes to the rearend. the locker may be engaged in low range. (not in high). If you lock the front in this configuration, you have 3 wd (two rear, left front.)

I am very pleased with the kit. Very easy worthwhile mod.

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Thu May 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. Not sure if that's what I'm looking for. Is there any other kits available for the newer powerwagon that anybody has tried/using?
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu May 18, 2017 9:01 pm

I'm still wondering where all you people go that you need your diff locked in 2WD. The Yukon? I'm confused.

I don't think anyone is making a bypass kit right now, but there are some instructions on here for DIY.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Thu May 18, 2017 9:15 pm

MikeKey wrote:I'm still wondering where all you people go that you need your diff locked in 2WD. The Yukon? I'm confused.

I don't think anyone is making a bypass kit right now, but there are some instructions on here for DIY.

I have one of those DIY bypass setups on mine. It works, but has some weak points IMO. The main one for me is the throttle mapping change... its fine in 4low, but when in 4hi its just screwy.

Also, Im with MikeKey.... I do not think I will ever have a need for lockers in 4hi. Maybe running mud runs or something where real high speed and traction is needed?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Thu May 18, 2017 9:26 pm

I used 2lo w/ locker for a burnout the other day. Just to see.

Donuts. Think donuts.

Honestly, I don't have any need for it locked, since these trucks have a decent LSD when unlocked. The main attraction for me on the 2low is the sway bar disconnect and the ESC off in 2wd. As well for backing my trailer up my steep driveway to take load off the t/c and trans.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 pm

MikeKey wrote:I'm still wondering where all you people go that you need your diff locked in 2WD. The Yukon? I'm confused.

I could have used that feature on more than 1 occasion when backing the camper up hill, into a site. Hard to crank the steering wheel on blacktop in 4Lo. It would also be GREAT for farmers who pull loaded wagons from fields to farms. We used to do that with an early 70's Ford F-250 High Boy on the farm I worked at as a kid. We could pull 2 loaded grain carts with it, from field to farm, in 2wd Lo. Those suckers are heavy. It is just great when you need the power but traction is good. My truck, with the G56's 1st gear would also be great for doing that, if it had a 2wd Lo option.

The grain carts looked like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPsUUXXfAw

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Fri May 19, 2017 7:57 am

TwinStick wrote:

I could have used that feature on more than 1 occasion when backing the camper up hill, into a site. Hard to crank the steering wheel on blacktop in 4Lo. It would also be GREAT for farmers who pull loaded wagons from fields to farms. We used to do that with an early 70's Ford F-250 High Boy on the farm I worked at as a kid. We could pull 2 loaded grain carts with it, from field to farm, in 2wd Lo. Those suckers are heavy. It is just great when you need the power but traction is good. My truck, with the G56's 1st gear would also be great for doing that, if it had a 2wd Lo option.

The grain carts looked like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPsUUXXfAw

I think he was referring to rear locker in 2hi... nothing about 2lo
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 am

Yea I'd like a way to keep that sway bar disconnected in 2hi and over 18mph. Sand runs turn lame with that thing re-engaging.
-------
------

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Fri May 19, 2017 9:59 am

MikeKey wrote:Yea I'd like a way to keep that sway bar disconnected in 2hi and over 18mph. Sand runs turn lame with that thing re-engaging.
Air smartbar actuator. It's on my pipe dream list with onboard air, air lockers, 4.88 regear, 37's. It's the pipe dream list because it's all have to happen at once since it's all related. $$$$

John
Alaska
My build thread

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri May 19, 2017 10:09 am

Low_Sky wrote:
MikeKey wrote:Yea I'd like a way to keep that sway bar disconnected in 2hi and over 18mph. Sand runs turn lame with that thing re-engaging.
Air smartbar actuator. It's on my pipe dream list with onboard air, air lockers, 4.88 regear, 37's. It's the pipe dream list because it's all have to happen at once since it's all related. $$$$
Nah. You gotta break that up. OBA first. 37's next. Save for air lockers & regear at same time. Then air actuator last. :rockon: Just setup OBA to run those extra lines. Future proof. :D

I am thinking of just building some quick disconnects. I know a few guys not even running the front sway bar anymore.
-------
------

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:47 am

ramv wrote:I used 2lo w/ locker for a burnout the other day. Just to see.

Donuts. Think donuts.

Honestly, I don't have any need for it locked, since these trucks have a decent LSD when unlocked...
Decent LSD - but useless on Ice...
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Fri May 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Bill2014 wrote:

Donuts. Think donuts.

Honestly, I don't have any need for it locked, since these trucks have a decent LSD when unlocked...
Just add a little brake. Instant workie. Needs a little torque to work.

John
Alaska
My build thread

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Fri May 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Heart of the Rocky Mountains British Columbia. Tons of times I could have used it. No need for 4x4. Just lock the rear. Not really sure why it matters to you? Everybody has different preferences. Thanks
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Bill2014 wrote:

Donuts. Think donuts.

Just add a little brake. Instant workie. Needs a little torque to work.

Yes - our LSD's require some torque resistance to work...

Yeah - unfortunately it's not that simple - press lightly on the brake and the spinning wheel slows down. Press harder on the brake and the spinning wheel stops. Some brake and plenty of gas will usually get the other wheel to turn and get you to move - but not always.
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... lsd#p61465
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri May 19, 2017 3:50 pm

HeavyDuty wrote:Heart of the Rocky Mountains British Columbia. Tons of times I could have used it. No need for 4x4. Just lock the rear. Not really sure why it matters to you? Everybody has different preferences. Thanks
No need to be defensive. Just trying to understand. :cheers:

I do a lot of wheeling with my truck, want to learn what situations could have been made better if I had this option. And learn why you'd use it.
-------
------