Rear sway bar

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Rear sway bar

Post by Easttnrhino » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:33 am

This may have been talked about before, but I was reading article in 4 wheel off road about carli suspension they took the rear sway bar off for a better ride. Has anyone tried this yet ? I have taken them off utvs and they rode better not much more sway. Thanks
Enjoying beautiful east TN

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Rear sway bar

Post by Juday » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:27 pm

There's only one way to find out.......................

Sway bar on the rear? Pffft, you guys and your coil springs.....
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Easttnrhino » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:56 pm

That the plan out of town on work right now proably just drop one link to see how and what it does. Just thought maybe I was cold trialing.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:01 pm

I guarantee it will be a little smoother and have a little more sway. Same with any vehicle. This is why I leave my front bar disconnected. Rear is the same but a smaller effect.

Sent from my safe space

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:57 pm

I'd rather quick disconnects. It might ride better offroad, but I wouldn't want to do anything like towing or driving in rain with it disconnected.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:30 pm

No first hand info with my pw, but i removed the links on the rear of my jk once and it was a total shitshow. Handled like crap... even off road. Best way i can describe it was it felt like the rear axle was falling off. Like it was walking all over. May be completely different with the pw...
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:32 pm

olyelr wrote:No first hand info with my pw, but i removed the links on the rear of my jk once and it was a total shitshow. Handled like crap... even off road. Best way i can describe it was it felt like the rear axle was falling off. Like it was walking all over. May be completely different with the pw...
We had a similar experience in the Trailblazer. The rear was a shitshow, but I think it did better offroad. The front you could leave disconnected on road. But it increased body roll it felt like around corners.
-------
------

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:31 pm

Ive heard the rear swaybar on the JK is too small, so removing it would make sense to cause problems. There has to be something to control the body to the axle, and on rigs like that the front is designed to move a lot, so if you then let the rear move a lot the body will be all over the place. I can say for sure that shocks play a massive part in the equation. We just got back from towing our belongings 3300 miles and I had my swaybar disconnected the entire time. 3.0 kings up front controlled body roll nicely and 2.5 kings in back really made towing the trailer a sweet deal. Very comfortable.

Sent from my safe space

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:22 pm

I can see where removing the rear sway bar would improve off-road flexibility on the Power Wagon. On past vehicles, I've installed adjustable end links on one side of the front and rear sway bars to adjust vehicle side-to-side level. Highway cornering is usually improved by installing larger - heavy duty sway bars. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. :wink:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Easttnrhino » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:48 pm

Dropped one link to try it, definitely rides better on rode. Have went ahead and took it all the way off and put it pile with front bumper compabilty brackets.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:14 pm

Keep us updated on how it feels with it removed.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Easttnrhino » Tue May 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Been running without for about a month now does ride a little better cannot tell any difference in curves, but I have not raced a corvette thru the dragon yet. Have hauled a heavy load but not a tall load.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 16, 2017 12:23 pm

I ran all of Moab without a rear sway bar. It's noticable on the road, especially with body roll. I put it back on when we towed home. I wouldn't drive with it disconnected full time. Just for wheeling.

That being said, off road, the rear had a lot more travel side to side with it disconnected. I think it's worthwhile for that endeavor. I am going to look into quick disconnects. But the 6 bolts don't take long to remove it.
-------
------

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:20 pm

MikeKey wrote:I ran all of Moab without a rear sway bar. It's noticable on the road, especially with body roll. I put it back on when we towed home. I wouldn't drive with it disconnected full time. Just for wheeling.

That being said, off road, the rear had a lot more travel side to side with it disconnected. I think it's worthwhile for that endeavor. I am going to look into quick disconnects. But the 6 bolts don't take long to remove it.
You really only need to remove one end-link to disable it...
2014 Power Wagon Laramie

Moab 2006

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Bill2014 wrote:
MikeKey wrote:I ran all of Moab without a rear sway bar. It's noticable on the road, especially with body roll. I put it back on when we towed home. I wouldn't drive with it disconnected full time. Just for wheeling.

You really only need to remove one end-link to disable it...
That'd keep it from dangling.
-------
------

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Easttnrhino » Tue May 16, 2017 2:42 pm

You must take twists in your truck like I do on my bike, seriously hard to tell the rear is off in the curves. Drove it for a few days with one link off, then put it in pile with air dam and the fangs that hang down in the front of truck.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Easttnrhino wrote:You must take twists in your truck like I do on my bike, seriously hard to tell the rear is off in the curves. Drove it for a few days with one link off, then put it in pile with air dam and the fangs that hang down in the front of truck.
LOl maybe. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

191 is really twisty in Moab, follows the Colorado. So that was my testing, as we went down it a lot to get to trail heads. I do have the whole family in the truck and tools and stuff. Can effect ride and how it felt too.
Attachments
Moab_-_Google.png
-------
------

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Tue May 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Easttnrhino wrote:This may have been talked about before, but I was reading article in 4 wheel off road about carli suspension they took the rear sway bar off for a better ride. Has anyone tried this yet? I have taken them off utvs and they rode better not much more sway. Thanks
Looks like Carli now has a 2014+ PW kit this must be new, I read through the instructions and it doesn't say anything about removing the rear sway bar.

The Dodge 3" Pintop 2.5 System - 2014+ 2500 Kit: (select PW option in Step 1 - Select Base Kit)
http://www.carlisuspension.com/dodge-pi ... -2500.html

Install Intructions:
http://www.carlisuspension.com/Instruct ... 9-14-D.pdf
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue May 16, 2017 4:03 pm

Now throw on some Kings and try it without the front swaybar. Tell me how you feel then :popcorn: party time!

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:45 am

I'd be interested in knowing the difference in RTI numbers for the 2014+ Power Wagons, with the rear sway bar disconnected (and the front disconnected too obviously). Anyone have a ramp and could measure before and after? :wink:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie

Moab 2006

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Thu May 25, 2017 4:05 pm

What's needed is a quick disconnect on the driver's side lower sway bar link. You could disconnect and rotate it up to a keeper of some sort mounted to the frame rail above.

I'm also interested in travel numbers with it disconnected.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal