Overland Expo West

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Overland Expo West

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Wed May 03, 2017 11:39 am

Anyone going to be at Overland Expo West next Weekend in Flagstaff AZ. I am going up on Saturday, will be in Sedona for the weekend. A few things im looking forward to seeing, will take some pics!!
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

drdfblackm
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Re: Overland Expo West

Post by drdfblackm » Wed May 03, 2017 2:25 pm

I live very close to there if anyone needs anything by chance.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed May 03, 2017 4:32 pm

We will be there. We are leaving Moab probably Sunday the week prior, working our way down through Monument Valley area and arrive in Flagstaff probably Friday. We will see you there! We haven't figured out camping. We scoped out a few places and I'm not happy with any. Bring allergy meds...

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Wed May 03, 2017 5:21 pm

I live in the Verde Valley just down the hill from there if anyone needs any thing like a place to camp or work on vehicles. I do have a pretty complete shop and level ground.....
I went to the expo once, that was enough to see that it is just a great big place for venders to advertise and showcase their products.
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed May 03, 2017 9:00 pm

verdesardog wrote:I live in the Verde Valley just down the hill from there if anyone needs any thing like a place to camp or work on vehicles. I do have a pretty complete shop and level ground.....
I went to the expo once, that was enough to see that it is just a great big place for venders to advertise and showcase their products.
Thanks for the offer! Yeah expo should be called "car camping sales event". I'm going because there is some cool stuff to see and it's a good meeting point

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Wed May 03, 2017 11:40 pm

I did buy a lithium jump pack there that I could have purchased on amazon for less!
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

drdfblackm
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by drdfblackm » Thu May 04, 2017 10:37 am

I live basically 15 minutes from Expo. Same here...tons of tools and stuff. Depending on your setup you can camp in my driveway if needed.

Darrin
928-660-2650

desertbenny

Post by desertbenny » Mon May 15, 2017 11:07 am

On a related note, Anyone planning on hitting the NW Overland rally in Wa.? I'll have the wagon out there as well as leading a scenic trail run. It's way smaller than the Expo and a little more local feel to it. It has been getting bigger over the years but it's a great mix of people, gear and vendors. http://www.nwoverlandrally.com/

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon May 15, 2017 11:23 am

I saw the 2016 schedule on their site if I am correct. That shows the start date of June 23. I might be interested if it is legit. I'm done with the "overland" thing, but I'm in if people there are serious about it all being car camping.

Side note, Overland Expo was a total joke this year. I'm done with that crap. That was the most poorly planned and disorganized event I've ever been to, and the point of the show was just to sell things. Lake Mary was a much more legit event. I wasn't interested this year but it was a good meeting point for us. Next year is a no-go. I think they ruined the good that was there for the few people actually traveling the world or preparing to.

Rant over

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon May 15, 2017 11:46 am

I saw the 2016 schedule on their site if I am correct. That shows the start date of June 23. I might be interested if it is legit. I'm done with the "overland" thing, but I'm in if people there are serious about it all being car camping.

Side note, Overland Expo was a total joke this year. I'm done with that crap. That was the most poorly planned and disorganized event I've ever been to, and the point of the show was just to sell things. Lake Mary was a much more legit event. I wasn't interested this year but it was a good meeting point for us. Next year is a no-go. I think they ruined the good that was there for the few people actually traveling the world or preparing to.

Rant over

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Mon May 15, 2017 12:54 pm

Tell us how you really feel. :rofl:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Mon May 15, 2017 1:11 pm

Some pics from the Expo, I was there on Saturday, it was windy as Sh%@. Forgive the pics, my wife and I had a new Puppy with us so I was trying to hold the pup and take a few pics as well. I didnt take that many pics, would have loved to get more, it was packed and a lot to see. I did get a some pics of a few Power Wagons, some AEV stuff, I am really thinking of Salta Rims. I got some interesting pics of the display table behind the Dodge PW display they had parts and pieces laid out of the unique PW parts. Thumbnails should expand...

2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Mon May 15, 2017 1:15 pm

dont know who balanced these but I would have had words with em if they were mine...

PW parts

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Mon May 15, 2017 1:19 pm

Sliders and NutHouse Industries display with Rack

Saltas probably do the black instead of Onyx

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Overland Expo West

Post by yellowranger1 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Production bed rack for the ram box guys??

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:Production bed rack for the ram box guys??
Yup, it's on their site. And it looks ugly. Not a fan of the bends on that rack, especially after seeing yours in person. And looks like they are utilizing the inside rail system to attach to. So if you want a cargo cover, you're going to need to use theirs. More money.

Why is it so hard for companies to attempt or put some effort into following the lines of the vehicle they're designing a product for?
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:18 pm

Ah bummer, I hadn't seen it before and it's kind of hard to see much detail in those pics. The cargo cover issue would be a big turn off for sure. It definitely isn't impossible to build a nice rack for the ram box trucks, I guess it's just going to have to be a custom job.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue May 16, 2017 2:20 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:Ah bummer, I hadn't seen it before and it's kind of hard to see much detail in those pics. The cargo cover issue would be a big turn off for sure. It definitely isn't impossible to build a nice rack for the ram box trucks, I guess it's just going to have to be a custom job.
Do you have Ramboxes? I can't remember although it looked like your rack would fit them.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Working up a plan with DamageWagon for a design. My thought is, that a lot of the racks, like that rack from Nut House are designed for multiple trucks. Ram Boxes is a "$300 option" but the rack itself is listed as fitting Fords, Nissan and Ram. Seems a lot of the rack makers are trying to do a one size fits all. And no one is making a brand-specific rack, unless it is one off custom.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Gotcha, one size fits all is a nice concept, but I think we are more discerning than the average consumer that just wants a bed rack - any bed rack.

Marcus, mine doesn't have the ram boxes. My rack (or very similar) could be made to work, but mine has a piece of angle iron that runs down the length of the bed with a couple of bolts. I don't have any vertical supports in the middle Of the rack, so part of that angle could be done away with. Let me know, I'll shoot you come close up pics of the rear supports, I think something like that would help make a rack sturdier on a ram box bed.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Tue May 16, 2017 10:54 pm

desertbenny wrote:On a related note, Anyone planning on hitting the NW Overland rally in Wa.? I'll have the wagon out there as well as leading a scenic trail run. It's way smaller than the Expo and a little more local feel to it. It has been getting bigger over the years but it's a great mix of people, gear and vendors. http://www.nwoverlandrally.com/
Wow, I didn't know about that. Is it worth it to go? I'd totally drive up from Portland for that if its worth it!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

desertbenny

Post by desertbenny » Fri May 19, 2017 12:00 am

[/quote]
Wow, I didn't know about that. Is it worth it to go? I'd totally drive up from Portland for that if its worth it!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk[/quote]

I've been pretty much involed from the begining when it was about 100 people. Last year we had close to 1000. It's more of a social thing than geared for vendors. There is a vendor area with the goods and they will take your money. The vendors do throw in a ton of swag for the bonfire raffle/door prizes. Everybody gets a free ticket(s) Lots of cool little classes and how to seminars. Usually a couple of folks giving slideshows of their travels around the world or something. This year we are setting it up with a grown-up camp and a camp for the folks that like to stay up and chat, drink whatever. It's in a big open field but the campsites are pretty close to each other. 24'x24' I go pretty much just to hang out and see some interesting rides. I will also be leading a easy trail rides up into the hills. There is not alot of 4WD trails close to the site but, there is a trail ride or two to Liberty. The Rally dates are June 15-18. Hope to see another PowerWagon there.