Help with Air Conditioning (broken line)

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Help with Air Conditioning (broken line)

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:03 pm

When I pulled my valve cover off about two months ago I bumped the AC lines on the passenger side where they go through the firewall into the cab. I bumped them hard enough to break some connection loose and lose all the refrigerant. I tried everything I could for probably twenty minutes to stop it, thinking I just damaged an o-ring, to no avail. Well I was swapping my coolant yesterday and noticed what the problem is ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Both lines sheared off. No clue how I managed to do that. They definitely weren't broken like that before but probably bouncing around finished them off. Now, I'm having trouble finding that section of line in a parts diagram. Does anyone have experience with that part? Is that directly attached to the evaporator core? I know the dangling part is the expansion valve, but what is inside the truck? I would have to pull the HVAC system out to get to it I think and k don't want to dive into this without knowing where I'm going.

Thanks!

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Re: Help with Air Conditioning (broken line)

Post by Pit Slave » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:37 pm

That is the evap core. Mopar only sells the whole hvac system as a whole unit. In order to get to it, you need to remove the dash. Book claims about 16 hours labor. Check aftermarket for the evap unit such as Master cool, but in reality you would be better with an oem unit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Believe you have to pull the dash to get to the evap. Had to do that on my 2G. :(
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:38 pm

Yes, you do. Just replaced my heater core and evap. The entire dash comes out, unless you have done many and know some tricks.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:46 pm

Ouch :shock: damn dude I hope you're able to get that sorted out without too much trouble
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:54 pm

I spoke with a local dealer today. I think we're all on the same page. The expansion valve connects directly to the evaporator, so what broke off were the ends of the fittings of the evaporator. I'm still blown away that I managed to do that by just bumping one of the hoses with the valve cover. The wall thickness of those tubes is crazy thin though. Dealer said that to replace it I have to pull the dash, then pull the HVAC system, disassembled HVAC and remove evaporator. He said it is a massive PITA. A few people on forums have said you can buy the evaporator from Napa or online, there are a few versions and to only get the full aluminum one. Yaaay... We did discuss the necessity of this repair and have decided we're going to wait. Southern Utah will be the time we want it, but oh well. We've already made all our drives from So Cal to Sedona with the windows down lol.

2010PWERWGN
Model Year: 2010

Post by 2010PWERWGN » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:22 am

Removing the dash is not as bad as it looks. Remove center cup holder assembly, remove 4wd shifter for more room, remove the two bolts going forward into the floor,remove the glove box, remove right and left kick panels, unplug connectors behind right kick panel, remove column shrouds, wiring from column, shifter cable and brake switch, remove column and don't rotate the steering wheel, remove two bolts above column, disconnect the big connection by your left foot under the dash, remove the dash panel end caps to access the bolts, should be 3 on each side. Remove the e-brake release rod, Remove the A pillar trim/grab handles and connectors behind them if necessary. Carefully Remove the top two bolts by the windshield. Have someone help you carefully roll the dash onto the seat, it will rest on its face just fine. The wiring prevents you from easily removing the dash completely. Now remove the HVAC housing and disassemble. I would go ahead and install the cabin filter kit while it's torn apart. I know this seems like a lot of work but it's really pretty easy. I've done this dozens of times and the whole job usually takes about three hours. You can do this.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:36 am

2010PWERWGN wrote:Removing the dash is not as bad as it looks. Remove center cup holder assembly, remove 4wd shifter for more room, remove the two bolts going forward into the floor,remove the glove box, remove right and left kick panels, unplug connectors behind right kick panel, remove column shrouds, wiring from column, shifter cable and brake switch, remove column and don't rotate the steering wheel, remove two bolts above column, disconnect the big connection by your left foot under the dash, remove the dash panel end caps to access the bolts, should be 3 on each side. Remove the e-brake release rod, Remove the A pillar trim/grab handles and connectors behind them if necessary. Carefully Remove the top two bolts by the windshield. Have someone help you carefully roll the dash onto the seat, it will rest on its face just fine. The wiring prevents you from easily removing the dash completely. Now remove the HVAC housing and disassemble. I would go ahead and install the cabin filter kit while it's torn apart. I know this seems like a lot of work but it's really pretty easy. I've done this dozens of times and the whole job usually takes about three hours. You can do this.
Thanks!! If it takes three hours I am game. I don't think any special tools will be required for the evaporator. I'll see if I can get my hands on the part. I could definitely do this on my own then. I've already done the cabin air filter mod. Anything particular to really be careful of? Anything that tends to break during the process? Any special tools required for the dash besides usual trim tools?

2010PWERWGN

Post by 2010PWERWGN » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:56 am

No special tools required. When you disconnect the coolant hoses try not to crush the heater core tubes if you're planning on reusing it. I would strongly consider replacing it too. And take your time with all the connectors so you don't break the locks. You might spend more time than 3 hours since this is your first one but just be patient with it and you'll save yourself a ton of money.

2010PWERWGN

Post by 2010PWERWGN » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:58 am

One more thing, label your hvac connectors so when you disassemble the housing you know where to put them back.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:08 am

I just did a coolant flush a few days ago. How much am I looking to lose when I pull the heater core? I'm assuming not very much? Thanks for the tips this still seems far better than the 16 quoted hours haha.

I'm going to see if Napa has the evaporator and heater cores.

2010PWERWGN

Post by 2010PWERWGN » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:52 am

Just pinch off the hoses, you might lose a quart or two.

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:35 pm

Obviously this is the guy I was talking about with the tricks [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks for the help 2010. I found the heater core (more money than I care to spend right now since it works well) but I haven't found an evaporator yet. Well I found evaps on parts sites but it's hard to get something shipped when we are driving all over the place.

2010PWERWGN

Post by 2010PWERWGN » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:13 pm

I have found that when it comes to heater cores and evaporators nothing fits like OEM. I've never price shopped aftermarket cores but if the price difference isn't crazy I'd stay OEM.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:54 pm

Mopar heater core is $84.32. https://www.buymoparpartsnow.com/auto-p ... lines-scat

Mopar evaporator is $231.20. https://www.buymoparpartsnow.com/auto-p ... lines-scat

RA.com is $56-$103 for a heater core, and $36-$56 for 2 & $202.79 for a Mopar evaporator. http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodg ... +core,6768