Engine oil cooler

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
TwinStick

Engine oil cooler

Post by TwinStick » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:16 am

I installed my old giant engine oil cooler this morning. It's the one I had on the 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. Just waiting for my new oil filter sandwich adapter to arrive. Don't really need a new sandwich, just the threaded adapter but they don't sell them by themselves so had to get both. Old one was 3/4"-16. 2008 PW is M22mm x 1.5. The cooler itself is a Perma-Cool 30,000lb turbulator, transmission oil cooler. # 1318. http://www.shop.perma-cool.com/1318-HD- ... W-1318.htm

Just another reason I really like my 3rd Gen- super easy access to the front of the truck. Just pop the hood. A lot of people really liked that feature, not sure why they stopped it.
Don't need it around here but, now it's on, so if we go out west in summer, I'll just hook it up & go. It sure worked good on my old truck.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Engine oil cooler

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Very cool Twin. I'm seriously considering an engine oil cooler. Do you know what numerical difference it made to engine oil temp, and if it led to any other differences? Less oil burned, obviously lower coolant temps, cleaner or slicker oil at an oil change?

Sent from my safe space

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:14 pm

A heads up on the sandwich plates. There are 2 types. A 100% full flow, all the time plate. And a thremostatic plate. The thremostatic plate flows about 10% flow when cold, then slowly opens up to 100% at about 180F. The reason why it flows when cold is that the engine does not get a shock of cold oil when it opens up. I have one on my Nismo, plus a 34 row cooler.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:29 pm

DamageWagon wrote:Very cool Twin. I'm seriously considering an engine oil cooler. Do you know what numerical difference it made to engine oil temp, and if it led to any other differences? Less oil burned, obviously lower coolant temps, cleaner or slicker oil at an oil change?

Sent from my safe space
My recommendation for a cooler is (obviously depending on what your doing with the truck) is get one appropriate for what you will be doing. As i have stated numerous times before, i bought this for our 2004 2500 Hemi/545RFE/4.10's & towing our 10,500 lb Toy Hauler. To help keep it from self destructing when towing our camper (I also put a 1 ton 24 row trans cooler on that truck). I wasn't sure so i went with the biggest they had. I wanted one that was 1.5" thick as well & with the turbulator coil. He said the cooler does not care what fluid is going through it, & also said it would be fine using a trans cooler for engine oil. If you get one, check out summit racing, they were $10 cheaper & free shipping. The one I have is really too big for my application now, but it's what i got, & i will re-use it. It holds about 1.5qts more oil installed. More oil does mean you can go longer between changes I suppose but i don't. I also don't worry too much about the oil changes. I usually use the 15,000 mile Mobil 1 & change it when the weather is nice. It has only 46k on it. Depending on how hard i'm using the truck, oil changes are only about 1x per year, 2 at the most. But now that we are both retired, it will be more often once we start traveling. Every 5-10k miles should be fine.

As far as temp drop, all i can say is that when it was on the 04', we hit a long steep grade in Ky, on our way to Tn. I didn't want it shifting back & forth, so at the bottom of the grade, I literally put it to the carpet & held it there, for the entire hill. Hemi was just a singin'. About 15-20 min later, we hit the top doing about 70-80 with our Toy Hauler. Had to pull over & wait for the Father-in-Law. About 25 min later he pulled in. He had an 04' Chevy 2500 HD w/6.0L/4.10's & HD cooling pkg, pulling a 6300 lb camper. He said as soon as he hit the bottom of the hill, his temp went up quickly. Went right up to the red but not into it. He slowed down to 15-20 mph to finish the hill. My factory temp gauge only went up the width of the needle (coolant temp) & I could put my hand on the engine oil cooler fins with no burning. Same with the trans cooler. My current PW has only gone up about 1/8"- 1/4" tops when towing, with no cooler---even with the 10,500 lbToy Hauler we had. But the G-56 plays a part in that too, i would think. Keeping a gas engine in it's "happy spot" when towing (especially heavy) is key. Lugging a gas engine makes it work harder, as does a constantly shifting transmission. I am also gonna put these on at some point as well: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/fc- ... on-coolers https://www.genosgarage.com/product/fc- ... on-coolers https://www.genosgarage.com/product/fc- ... on-coolers

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:34 pm

RustyPW wrote:A heads up on the sandwich plates. There are 2 types. A 100% full flow, all the time plate. And a thremostatic plate. The thremostatic plate flows about 10% flow when cold, then slowly opens up to 100% at about 180F. The reason why it flows when cold is that the engine does not get a shock of cold oil when it opens up. I have one on my Nismo, plus a 34 row cooler.

Yup, thanks Rusty. Mine has a large check ball that opens & closes & if for some reason it gets stuck shut, it will still flow enough oil to eliminate engine damage---at least thats what they told me.

This is what i am waiting for now. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-188

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:34 am

So, I got the 22mm-1.5 thread adaptor, new oil filter sandwich & rubber o-ring gasket.

Now I am ready, regardless of the heat of summer, wherever we go ! :rockon:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Had to get a 1 1/8" socket, to install the adapter.

Then I had to sand the bevel on the inside of the socket off, so it would make good contact & not round off the edges of the adapter. The hex head on the thread adapter is very thin, but this socket now grabs it really good.

So, now I am all set. If anyone wants my old sandwich adapter & 3/4"-16 oil filter adapter let me know. Just pay shipping.
Last edited by TwinStick on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:28 pm

RustyPW wrote:A heads up on the sandwich plates. There are 2 types. A 100% full flow, all the time plate. And a thremostatic plate. The thremostatic plate flows about 10% flow when cold, then slowly opens up to 100% at about 180F. The reason why it flows when cold is that the engine does not get a shock of cold oil when it opens up. I have one on my Nismo, plus a 34 row cooler.

I stand corrected. Mine is a 100% full flow sandwich adapter. It said that when I RTFM ! :lol: Not sure what purpose the checkball/spring serve if it is a 100% full flow ?

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Engine oil cooler

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:36 pm

If there is a ball valve in there, and it is a full flow, then that valve is a one-way valve. It opens under pressure and seals when pressure drops to maintain oil volume in the line and prevent it draining back. Because your oil filter itself has this built in you normally don't need it, but since you are putting this adapter between the filter and the block that valve becomes unused and all the oil in the top end would drain into the pan and you would have a dry start every time you start the engine. It is called a drainback valve.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Oil filter has a bypass valve that basically maintains flow when the filter is clogged full of engine gunk. If it works as a drain check valve then I hope you arnt using the cardboard fram filters. I don't believe the oil stayed relies on the filter for that
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:27 pm

Well, thanks for that. I learned something new today ! :rockon: Always good to learn. Yeah, it don't take too much pressure to get the ball to depress.

Also, I measured the old set up & the new set up. The old adapter is about 1/16" or so, thicker than the new one & the old 3/4"-16 threaded adapter is about 1/16" or so, longer as well. Weird. Seems as though it would be way easier & cheaper for the company to have as few different sandwich adapters as possible. The whole less inventory thing & all. Unless they are that way on purpose to prevent the wrong one being re-used on the wrong application ?

Anyone want my old sandwich adapter & it's 3/4"-16 threaded adapter ?

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Nope, still using Mopar filters & since new.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:13 pm

TwinStick wrote:Well, thanks for that. I learned something new today ! :rockon: Always good to learn. Yeah, it don't take too much pressure to get the ball to depress.

Also, I measured the old set up & the new set up. The old adapter is about 1/16" or so, thicker than the new one & the old 3/4"-16 threaded adapter is about 1/16" or so, longer as well. Weird. Seems as though it would be way easier & cheaper for the company to have as few different sandwich adapters as possible. The whole less inventory thing & all. Unless they are that way on purpose to prevent the wrong one being re-used on the wrong application ?

Would it work for a remote oil filter installation?
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:56 am

you could plumb a remote filter in addition to the one that screws onto the bottom of the sandwich adapter but not instead of it. Wrong adapter for a purely remote system
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:51 pm

nts007 wrote:
TwinStick wrote:Well, thanks for that. I learned something new today ! :rockon: Always good to learn. Yeah, it don't take too much pressure to get the ball to depress.

Would it work for a remote oil filter installation?[/quote]

Do you mean more than 1 filter ? If thats what you mean, then yes it would but you still would need the housing that the new additional filter mounts to.

If you mean just relocate 1 filter, then no. This is what you need for that: http://www.shop.perma-cool.com/70988-De ... -70988.htm

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:08 pm

I was thinking relocate so you answered my question thanks. I was ready to retract my question though as after I posted my brain Fart question I looked at the pictures and realized there was no bottom plate.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:23 pm

Neil are you thinking for the diesel or a hemi? If it's for a hemi you can do the tti block off plate and the factory threaded bosses in the block to do a remote filter and cooler.
Attachments
IMG_5143.PNG
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Lots of other stuff lol

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:55 am

That is what I was looking for. Didn't realize the hemi already had a tap port in the block though. Thanks colibri

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:05 am

Looks beefy. :rockon:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:43 pm

My pleasure, I'll be going the tti route myself
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:56 pm

I definitely want an oil cooler after driving out of Phoenix today. Just a moderate incline in 80 degree heat and my oil temp was 236. No bueno. Once coolant hits 221 the electric fan kicks in and it only goes down from there, at least that is covered.

Colibri good suggestion, I haven't noticed the block is tapped for hoses. Easy peasy!

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:41 pm

I don't know if Ram is like other vehicles. But some start to pull timing once the oil temp gets to high. Some start around 240F, others around 250F. And will go into limp mode around 280F to 290F. The ZR1 Vettes, factory supercharged Mustangs are well known for this.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:11 pm

:lol: What happens if it's too cool ? :lol:

Uses more fuel ?
More condensation in oil ?
.... ?

Just curious.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:13 pm

DamageWagon wrote:I definitely want an oil cooler after driving out of Phoenix today. Just a moderate incline in 80 degree heat and my oil temp was 236. No bueno. Once coolant hits 221 the electric fan kicks in and it only goes down from there, at least that is covered.

Colibri good suggestion, I haven't noticed the block is tapped for hoses. Easy peasy!
Now imagine towing a 10,500 lb camper up Eisenhower Pass in those temps !

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:19 pm

I towed a 4000lb trailer to Idaho and back and that wasn't bad. Oil temps never went crazy. I feel like the cooling is well paired to the power in these trucks. My oil temp never went higher than 230 when towing even during a twisty climb that went a few hours long where I was mostly in 2nd and almost pinned. Additional oil cooling would be good though, I think the oils temp plays a strong role in how hot the coolant wants to get.