Leaf spring question......

Stuff that doesn't pertain to PWs and general chit-chat
TwinStick

Leaf spring question......

Post by TwinStick » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:58 am

How do they get the measurement from center eye to center eye ? With the vehicle loaded or unloaded ? I am trying to figure out that measurement on my camper but am confused. 2016 Dexter 3500lb single axle, 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. While on the camper it is measuring 26" exactly center eye to center eye, yet the only leaf springs avail that I can find are either 25 1/4" or 27" center eye to center eye. I am guessing there is not some new or special leaf spring that is just for this camper ? They make them as cheap as possible, so I'm guessing they would use the most commonly avail (most inexpensive) leafs & nothing special ?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Upon further investigation, it seems that there ARE 26" eye to eye leaf springs available, I was just not looking in the right spot I guess. This must be them:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Suspen ... 51275.html

Another NOTE: :doh: Every 26" leaf spring I found is made in china :doh:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Leaf spring question......

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:30 am

I'm rusty on this but when I had my Deavers made I believe they took a string and laid it across the top leaf and went from eye to eye so it wouldn't matter if T was flat or arched. It was the total length of the spring was flat. I think that's how they did it but I'm not positive.

Sent from my safe space