3rd Gen or 4.5 Gen

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
2005PW

3rd Gen or 4.5 Gen

Post by 2005PW » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:42 am

I haven't posted much if any since the move from DT, life and all ya know.
Anyway, I'm at a bit of a crossroads. Keep my '05 PW that has 155k miles or buy a '17 PW. Other than 6.4, 6spd auto, 4.10 and coil rear, what other mechanical changes have been made to the new wagons? Who has made this change and what are your thoughts? How does mpg compare? What are the pros and cons of the '17?
Thanks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NickPic83
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: 3rd Gen or 4.5 Gen

Post by NickPic83 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:49 am

Can't help u in the comparison department but I have had my 17 for a week and a half with about 270 miles on it now. I am getting 12 mpg with mostly around town miles. It's still breaking in so I think I will get slightly better mileage.

I have no complaints about the truck and really like everything about it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:50 am

I have both an 07 and a 16.

They both have their good and bad points. I really prefer the 3 gen for offroad as it has a smaller feel to it and much better visibility than the 16. There really is a huge difference between the two in that aspect. The biggest downside to the 3 gens is the front end components, IMHO.

The new trucks are loaded with electronic crap, not to mention a CAD. For all that, the 16 gets a whopping 1 mpg more than the 07. It does have a better on road ride though. The 6.4 seems decent enough, but the programming for the trans is optimized for a lame attempt at fuel economy and it tends to hold higher gears longer than it should. That's not a big issue if you're driving in flat country, but it becomes very noticeable in a place like WV (compared to Ohio). I find myself in tow-haul mode when in the Eastern WV mountains. Not because of the engine but because of the trans programming.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

vanished
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by vanished » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:55 am

How do you plan on using it? That would be my first question...

I've had two Gen 3's (a '05 & '06) and got a Gen 4.5 ('15) three months ago, so I can give my honest feelings...

Durability - One of the reasons I got rid of my '06 was the simple fact it was 10 years old, and towing a camper on longer trips with the family made me question this choice, although there was nothing wrong with it and it never let me down. Not saying a new truck under warranty can't cause headaches, but figured I was playing some odds.. The '05 had a lot of maintenance issues and broke down a few times on me (idler pulley, AC fan, wheel bearings, u-joints, brakes, etc) but I admit it had a hard, hard life...

Power/trans - the 6.4l can't be beat... Really no comparison between the 545/5.7l and the newest truck.

Off Road - the 3G's shined.. No comparison.. All the stupid government nannies on my new truck drive me a little batty, but it is what it is... (all new trucks have this crap) The older gen was easier to see out of, shorter, what seemed like better approach/departure angles, and just felt at home in the woods and on the trails.

Towing - I had a 7k camper (along with a dump trailer, horse trailer, etc) so have towed a lot with my 3G's.. Power was never impressive in the mountains and the engine would scream. I was running 35" STT and M/T's on both of the 3rd gens which also weren't ideal tow tires but never had any real trouble. I 'think' the new one will do better but that's just a gut feel, haven't towed with it yet but based on feedback and the other owners the 6.4l should do better here as well.

Payload - the 3G's could handle more from the factory, plain and simple... Or at least from a 'legal' perspective... There are options to improve this.

Ride - the 4.5G's are FAR superior in this aspect.. I really enjoy driving the new truck. Handling, steering, braking, suspension, everything.. It was quite an improvement, but being 10 years newer that doesn't surprise me.

MPG - I never got over 10 MPG HWY on my 3G... New truck is usually 14MPG or so on similar roads.. Around town I'm 11-12 MPG. Although I admit I'm not a fan of the MDS kicking in and the drone that ensues..

Space - can't beat the crew cab if you have kids or a family.. Interior appointments are much nicer as well. I love the inside and space the new truck provides. Much quieter overall as well.

Hope this helps..

2005PW

Post by 2005PW » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:50 am

Thanks everyone, that does help. The conclusion is keep the '05 and get the '17... Now if I can convince my wife we need both

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 am

2005PW wrote:Thanks everyone, that does help. The conclusion is keep the '05 and get the '17... Now if I can convince my wife we need both

That was going to be my suggestion :lol:

The response from vanished agree's with all my opinions.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:29 pm

No complaints on my 05. I do like the look of the new trucks however, after being in one on the road, I can't say that I like the view or line of sight from the inside out. Not the best visibility out of the two gens.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Hello 2005PW,

If I had to make this decision here are the things I would consider. Personally I would not keep both PW's because of the cost, it is not an inexpensive vehicle to own.

I would keep the 05 if:
- I do a fair amount of off-roading in the PW and prefer function over form in my truck
- I have maintained the 05 well everything works and I don't have to make any major repairs
- I've invested a lot in upgrades (accessories, suspension, wheels/tires, etc.) and everything mostly performs the way want
- I love my 3 Gen and can't imagine life without it

I would get the 2017 if:
- I said "no" to more than half of the above
Last edited by coder on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

2005PW

Post by 2005PW » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks Coder, I'm the original owner of my '05 and have been faithful in maintenance. With that said it still has some issues. Service 4wd light and flashing rear locker comes on, dealer chased it for 3 months and never could find the problem. Transmission is slow to engage when first started. I had the valve body replaced once and this is acting like the same problem. Other than a thuren track bar and shocks, the suspension is original, but it is ready for new springs. I have absolutely loved this truck and my biggest hesitation is going to an electronic nanny truck

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 pm

2005PW wrote:I have absolutely loved this truck and my biggest hesitation is going to an electronic nanny truck.
2005PW, I'm with you regarding the electronic nannies, however the reality is computer programs are cheaper to make than mechanical parts and younger buyers expect them so they're not going away. But I would not let that alone stop you from getting a new PW with a little adjustment in driving style it will take you anywhere the old one did.
Last edited by coder on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:39 am

coder wrote:Hello 2005PW,

If I had to make this decision here are the things I would consider. Personally I would not keep both PW's because of the cost, it is not an inexpensive vehicle to own.

I would keep the 05 if:
- I do a fail amount of off-roading in the PW and prefer function over form in my truck
- I have maintained the 05 well everything works and I don't have to make any major repairs
- I've invested a lot in upgrades (accessories, suspension, wheels/tires, etc.) and everything mostly performs the way want
- I love my 3 Gen and can't imagine life without it

I would get the 2017 if:
- I said "no" to more than half of the above
2X
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:45 am

I'd take the 3rd gen over the new one. Lots of reasons. Why spend another 60grand then all the upgrades. Could make one hell of a truck for way less then 60g.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:13 am

If you can swing it, I'd get the 2017 and keep the 2005!

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:52 am

nts007 wrote:I'd take the 3rd gen over the new one. Lots of reasons. Why spend another 60grand then all the upgrades. Could make one hell of a truck for way less then 60g.
This is true. Imagine long arms, linked rear, 4.4 bypass shocks on every corner, internal cage, 37's, supercharger, and you still get a panty hook Image

Sent from my safe space

MSCH2112
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by MSCH2112 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:55 pm

2005PW wrote:Thanks Coder, I'm the original owner of my '05 and have been faithful in maintenance. With that said it still has some issues. Service 4wd light and flashing rear locker comes on, dealer chased it for 3 months and never could find the problem. Transmission is slow to engage when first started. I had the valve body replaced once and this is acting like the same problem. Other than a thuren track bar and shocks, the suspension is original, but it is ready for new springs. I have absolutely loved this truck and my biggest hesitation is going to an electronic nanny truck

Servicing the disco bar up front (electrical lube) and a new locker magnet in the rear should delete a light or two. warning-that little locker magnet is about $400. oh...you need a new dealer! most are morons in the pw world.

mike
2017 Ram 2500 Longhorn Cummins
295 60 R20 Nitto Ridge Graplers
Gooseneck
Pace Edwards elec.Metal Jacket bed cover
yeah and running boards for the wifey
Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

SOLD 2012 Power Wagon Laramie
w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

SOLD 2005 Power Wagon w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill

2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition

2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL

2016 Volvo XC90

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Hardwire. Remove swaybar. Pull dash and remove warning light bulbs. Problems solved
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:28 pm

When it comes time to consider a new truck, I am hoping to keep my '12 as a dedicated trail rig and use the new truck as a DD/tow pig. If you can swing it 2005PW, I'd say that's the ultimate way to go!!!!

(full disclosure though, I don't plan on getting another Wagon, I am planning to get a 3500 4x4 crew cab shortbed SRW Tradesman, that way it's a little cheaper than a Wagon and it's the same outside dimensions as a Wagon. (that way I am used to driving the same general shape of truck all the time) I'd keep it stock so I am not tempted to ever wheel it since that's what my Wagon is for. As yet undecided between 6.4 gas vs 6.7 Cummins and Aisin or manual. (each setup has its pluses and its minuses, if it weren't for all the emissions crap, I would be only deciding between an manual or an Aisin behind a Cummins (since it would be towing the Wagon a fair bit) but, because of all the emissions crap on the diesels a VERY STRONG case is made for a 6.4!!!) I have quite a few years to decide that though. (many, many, many years, lol!))
Last edited by RAM4ROKS on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shaved Ice
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Shaved Ice » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 pm

I had a '07 PW and now have a '17 PW. The new one sure has a lot of nice things already mentioned by others. While a new PW isn't $60K better than an '05, you have to keep in mind that the average vehicle goes to a junkyard at 12 years old. You can keep making repairs for much cheaper than a new one but at some point the lack of reliability is going to get to you or a repair is going to be more than the truck is worth. Everything eventually wears out and parts become harder and harder to find. I would sell the '05 privately and buy new if I were you, but would fully understand if someone recommended otherwise.

Edit: I opted for the Lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty with my new one. This way, when things break after the standard warranty, it will only cost me $100 to get it fixed. If the repair costs more than the value of the truck, FCA buys the truck at Bluebook. Something to consider since you have several small repairs needed on your '05.
Last edited by Shaved Ice on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Power Wagon
Laramie
Granite Crystal Metallic
Rambox
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders

2007 Power Wagon (sold)

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:15 am

I wouldn't buy a vehicle that relied on a screen for the majority of its systems that costs $7500 part only to replace it when it fails. If it needs an update it shuts down the entire dash console. No thanks. All this new fangled tech is great now. But are you going to enjoy replacing it in 5-10 years at hugely inflated dealer only replacement?? We know for fact that all the new vehicles are meant to be repaired by remove and replace. And the manufactures are trying harder and harder to make sure no matter what you need them for parts. But if you plan on replacing every few years what does it matter.

nic87

Post by nic87 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:59 am

I've owned my 3rd gen (08) for about 5 months now and I couldn't be happier. Yes its old and needs a lot of attention ( ball joints, seals, shocks, etc) but thats no different than a newer PW depending how you abuse it. I was originally going to purchase a 4.5 gen at the dealership I work at but instead found my truck for a fraction of the price a new one would have cost me. The choice wasn't easy and I had to do my research talking to a lot of experienced technicians that have worked on PWs. As someone posted before, not all dodge mechanics know much about these trucks or understand it much since there is very little info or training available. First, I felt more comfortable knowing that if my 5.7l hemi failed i could just grab any 5.7 from any other platform ( car,suv,truck) as opposed to trying to find a 6.4 out of another PW, challenger or something else. Second was the transmission. the new 8&9 speeds or 6 speed (not sure what they use) are not proven yet and I have yet to see anyone rebuild them under warranty because they get sent out for repair. With the 545 I can at least get help from other techs on rebuilding it. Also I've seen cases of some PW experiencing wierd shifting issues while driving. As a new mechanic on the block, I want nothing to do with software glitches. Third and this put the nail on the coffin was the $7000 dollar multi - uconnect radio screen that controls just about everything. If i leave my sunroof open and it rains, I guess I'm not covered under warranty... I do like the new features of the new PW ( suspension upgrade, folding mirrors, cool looking stitching on the seats, cooled and heated seats, cool graphics and nanny downhill assist) but these are things I can install on the 3rd gen with a little extra cash and know how. Lastly, the newer PW are bigger than the 3rd gen. I like being more agile on the bush considering its already a big truck. I get all kinds of looks from people already and its not even that big! I really hope this helps, I didn't talk about the mileage or the smaller things about the trucks, but for me it was those points that made the comparison easier to get an older truck. Cheers :cheers:

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by adeluca73 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:46 pm

nts007 wrote:I wouldn't buy a vehicle that relied on a screen for the majority of its systems that costs $7500 part only to replace it when it fails. If it needs an update it shuts down the entire dash console. No thanks. All this new fangled tech is great now. But are you going to enjoy replacing it in 5-10 years at hugely inflated dealer only replacement?? We know for fact that all the new vehicles are meant to be repaired by remove and replace. And the manufactures are trying harder and harder to make sure no matter what you need them for parts. But if you plan on replacing every few years what does it matter.
Mopar lifetime maxcare warranty...then F'it, NMP :D
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Haha yea I figured someone was gonna say that. But being them good luck getting warranty when you finally use your truck off road :wink: