What is your favorite 4th Gen bumper?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: What is your favorite 4th Gen bumper?

Post by RustyPW » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:34 pm

At work. All winch cables, overhead crane cables had to be steel. All synthetic rope, slings, etc had to be replaced every 4 years. If the synthetic stuff seen chemicals, oil, gas, heat over 200F, have tears gets replaced. I've seen guys at work cut rock when winching. :shock:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Speaking of the sensors...I've gotten pretty good at using the rear camera for judging distance and just ordered a front facing camera that integrates with the Garmin drivesmart 60 lmt gps. If the front facing camera works as well as the rear for judging distance the beepers/parksense wont be needed imo.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hammerballs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hammerballs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Rodeoflyer wrote:Speaking of the sensors...I've gotten pretty good at using the rear camera for judging distance and just ordered a front facing camera that integrates with the Garmin drivesmart 60 lmt gps. If the front facing camera works as well as the rear for judging distance the beepers/parksense wont be needed imo.

Can you post what camera you got? That is one of the things I wish for most on the PW. With our giant nose a front facing camera like the Raptor makes so much sense.
2016 Laramie Power Wagon

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:12 pm

I used Marriott points to get the Garmin 60 lmt (lifetime traffic/maps). Ive been rolling around upgrading my uconnct nav ($600) or going external and when I saw it listed at the Marriott store snapped it up. The camera model is Garmin bc30 wireless backup camera. I plan to mount it in the grill. According to the specs you connect it to constant power and can switch between GPS and camera on the HU.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:25 pm

I've been thinking about synthetic for awhile, but the fact that it needs to be cleaned and stuff makes me second guess that. I've used the winch 3 times now. How much more time would the synthetic just be getting dirty and wet all the time on the front of my truck.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:43 pm

I did forget to mention one other point- the drums on our winches aren't really ideal for synthetic line. The construction of a drum for steel is different than for synthetic. Synthetic flattens under pressure, which makes it wider, this putting excess pressure on the flanges on the end of the drum. Steel doesn't do that, so the drums aren't built to withstand the extra pressure. You could break the flange off, given the right circumstances.

Also, the brake inside the drum puts all the heat from the brake right into the rope. Wire rope isn't affected. Synthetic rope can be affected by as little as 150°F. Winches with a cone brake are better suited to synthetic line.

And yes, I know about the 12,000-15,000 thing. We've had that discussion many times, both here and on DT, where many of us came from.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Hammerballs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hammerballs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:14 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:I did forget to mention one other point- the drums on our winches aren't really ideal for synthetic line. The construction of a drum for steel is different than for synthetic. Synthetic flattens under pressure, which makes it wider, this putting excess pressure on the flanges on the end of the drum. Steel doesn't do that, so the drums aren't built to withstand the extra pressure. You could break the flange off, given the right circumstances.

Also, the brake inside the drum puts all the heat from the brake right into the rope. Wire rope isn't affected. Synthetic rope can be affected by as little as 150°F. Winches with a cone brake are better suited to synthetic line.

And yes, I know about the 12,000-15,000 thing. We've had that discussion many times, both here and on DT, where many of us came from.

Sorry. No offense intended.
2016 Laramie Power Wagon

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:59 pm

RustyPW wrote:At work. All winch cables, overhead crane cables had to be steel. All synthetic rope, slings, etc had to be replaced every 4 years. If the synthetic stuff seen chemicals, oil, gas, heat over 200F, have tears gets replaced. I've seen guys at work cut rock when winching. :shock:
If I had a fleet of work trucks with winches that employees would use alone I would never put synthetic rope on them. On my own truck? Sure...I have to replace my gear if I tear it up. Not to mention I know how to rejoin broken synthetic rope so I won't be be shit out of luck. Try tying your wire rope back together if you break it.

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Hammerballs wrote:
FirerescuePW wrote:I did forget to mention one other point- the drums on our winches aren't really ideal for synthetic line. The construction of a drum for steel is different than for synthetic. Synthetic flattens under pressure, which makes it wider, this putting excess pressure on the flanges on the end of the drum. Steel doesn't do that, so the drums aren't built to withstand the extra pressure. You could break the flange off, given the right circumstances.

Oh, none taken!

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Hammerballs wrote:

None taken!

WINCH MOB PROUD!