Roof Top Tents - Suggestions

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
fyrfytr704
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: Roof Top Tents - Suggestions

Post by fyrfytr704 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:53 pm

adeluca73 wrote:
cruz wrote:Seasoning your tent is good advice, and while your at it don't forget the seams. Unless you tear a hole in the fabric, the seams are where most leaks will happen. You can get seam sealant just about anywhere and its easy to apply.

For a bed that's pretty versatile, these work well in the bed of the truck, on the ground in a tent, on a living room floor ...
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Colemanr ... _l=Unknown
I actually have that same coleman battery (4 D cell) camp bed, and it's ok. I may try the one FYRFYT listed below,,,,got some good reviews
It also fits perfectly between the wheel wells!
2008 PW - stock with the exception of CAI, Superchips tune, LED tail lights, bed liner, tonneau cover, bed rug, swing case, and a black magic e-fan with override switch (for now). Now accepting donations for lift and tires!

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:51 pm

If anyone in SoCal is looking for a RTT, there is a used Hannibal on CraigsList in Encino for $450 asking. Looks like a pretty good deal.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/sp ... 66668.html

cell4soul
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by cell4soul » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:27 pm

I used to own an Eezi-Awn. It was mounted to a custom bed rack on a built Tacoma. It is one of the best roof top tents and you pay for the quality. It was well made, kept me warm and dry, and withstood heavy winds and abuse. That being said, it got old pretty quick. I didn't like the fact that I had to "breakdown" camp every time I wanted to drive somewhere. If i ever go with a high quality tent again, it will not be mounted to my transportation. Look up OzTent online. I would probably do something like that before a RTT. It sets up just as fast, just as durable and doesn't need to be broken down if you want to drive somewhere.
2006 Power Wagon, factory rock rails, Carli 3" with Carli control arms and Deaver rear springs, Bilstein shocks with remote reservoir, 2008.5+ steering upgrade, 37" Cooper STT's on stock wheels, Warn wireless winch controller, Dynatrac ball joints........and more to come as the wallet allows.

kengray
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by kengray » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:18 am

Has anyone used a tent with a Rambox set-up?

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sat May 16, 2015 7:19 pm

Hey all thinking of trying a rtt on a thule height adjustable bed rack system hopefully will add some cross braces to add robustness when using the truck like an animal lol tent will
Be a smittybilt I think they look good and well made and readily available in Canada. The thule rack looks nice and sturdy realistically I don't need it but it will be nice to have something to run a canoe on if I desire later on and their lowest position will be where I'll keep the tent while it's on the truck so the centre of gravity is low. Anybody have any experience with either of these systems? Smittybilt or thule?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431818336.847711.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431818330.131037.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431818324.049186.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431818317.248381.jpg

Try to imagine pugs living in the wild- just roaming in the forest in packs...
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

cell4soul
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cell4soul » Sat May 16, 2015 10:52 pm

You Could always custom build a rack like the one I did on a Toyota I built about 8 years ago. Here are some pics:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2006 Power Wagon, factory rock rails, Carli 3" with Carli control arms and Deaver rear springs, Bilstein shocks with remote reservoir, 2008.5+ steering upgrade, 37" Cooper STT's on stock wheels, Warn wireless winch controller, Dynatrac ball joints........and more to come as the wallet allows.

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sun May 17, 2015 1:22 am

That's bad ass! Anymore pics of the rack without tent on it? I'm trying to get some ideas. I'm thinking something similar to this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431840095.542650.jpg
and mount the tent sideways like a jeep would or a regular truck bed tent further forward so I have access to my spare when the tents folded up?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431840037.660280.jpg
I unno or I could just not jump the truck while I have the tent installed lmao that's harder to do then it is said though ! Sometimes you just got to wail!

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sun May 17, 2015 10:36 am

Then there's Kevin Ostlund sold set up :o
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431873370.692231.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431873364.659434.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431873357.926077.jpg
kind of too permanent for me however. It would be a pain to remove it for the winter months

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TommyG » Sun May 17, 2015 11:42 am

I am looking at getting a large Tepui tent and building a rack that will sit low over the bed. Next spring I want to buy an M1102 trailer and build a rack over the bed for that too. If we want to stay in one place I'll throw the RTT on the trailer to I don't have to tear it down every day. If I need to travel light or we are going to be on the move, I will mount it over the bed.

I like the OZ tent too but I want to try the RTT as we have never had one. I think it will be a versatile setup if we can shift it from truck to trailer at will.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sun May 17, 2015 3:11 pm

Valid points

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

cell4soul
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cell4soul » Sun May 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Below are the only photos I have:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Mon May 18, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks man they help! Still leaning towards a thule adjustable rack set up. Just dumping it if I want to jump or whoop the truck out...

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

RoofTopPW

Post by RoofTopPW » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Tepui kukenam xl ruggedized on tracrac sr sliding truck rack.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Since he revived the thread.

Anyone have experience with CVT or Tepui tents. And what's your opinion of them? Our little excursion into eastern Oregon yesterday convinced me we want to get a RTT for the Power Wagon and to start camping with the girls. The Airstream is a wee bit to big for off-grid camping.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

RamGentry
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by RamGentry » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:39 pm

MikeKey wrote:Since he revived the thread.

Anyone have experience with CVT or Tepui tents. And what's your opinion of them? Our little excursion into eastern Oregon yesterday convinced me we want to get a RTT for the Power Wagon and to start camping with the girls. The Airstream is a wee bit to big for off-grid camping.
I have a tepui kukeman ruggedized. I love it. Its durable, comfortable, and easy to use. Looks like they only offer the ruggedized in the "sky" model now, i didnt opt for that because I figured one less hole in the roof the better.
http://tepuitents.com/collections/rugge ... f-top-tent

EDIT: click the link to by build thread in my signature to check out how I'm mounting it to the PW.
Last edited by RamGentry on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I start listing Mods I would have to change the list daily
My build thread http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=3593

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Roof Top Tents - Suggestions

Post by yellowranger1 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:43 pm

We love our second hand Tepui, same as above - Kukenam XL ruggedized. It's big and heavy by comparison to other RTTs, 6' long and about 200 lbs, but it's right at home on the PW as long as you have a sturdy way to hold it.

I carried a friends smaller Tepui when his truck broke, I forget which model, but it's a 2 person. It's definitely borderline tight for 2 people IMO.

Mine is a 4 person, I'd say 3 adults comfortably with backpacks/duffel bags, 4 adults would be tight. Definitely roomy enough for 2 adults and a couple of little ones. For now, it's the two of us and the pups.

I love the Airstreams, I would like to have one of our own down the line. For now this seems to suit our style of camping perfectly since the goal is driving off road to remote camp spots, and 4 wheeling along the way.

It's a big improvement over our KampRite Tentcot. MUCH sturdier in high wind overnight, still noisy, but it's a rigid frame so you won't he smacked in the face when fiberglass poles bend in the wind, and it did great in the 15ish hours of rain we got overnight at the Grand Canyon, however 2 of the corners soaked through a little bit. On 2 other trips we've had light rain, and no water intrusion. To try and mitigate and future issues with water, I picked up a bottle of Nikwax waterproofing spray. I can't say how well the non ruggedized models would fair in the rain, but they are considerably lighter and less expensive. If you aren't buying new, keep an eye out on expedition portal, I found mine there in the classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:12 pm

We had a CVT Shasta and were super disappointed. Partly because the tent leaked like a friggin sieve. Even a tiny sprinkle would go straight through. We partly disliked it because a big part of buying the tent for us was the annex room, and we discussed our use with CVT but when we went to use it the annex was useless for our height. Unless you put the tent at cab height the annex is almost useless. And they flap in the wind like you couldn't imagine. We returned it to CVT, less shipping. I would highly suggest looking at the OzTent lines. We were very close to getting a Malamoo due to the super fast setup and relatively small packed size. Their RV tents are also super sweet designs. Expensive but worth it, it would seem. I would not trade for the semi-permanent mounting, high weight, difficulty of loading/unloading, high cost, and poor nights sleep in wind (with ear plugs in) to gain the setup time, elevation and baller status of a RTT. But that's just my opinion. Best of luck Mike!

Sent from my safe space

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:31 am

We've got the Airstream because we lived in it while traveling 24/7 for two years. But that never felt like camping once, even though you could say we were camping. I did some actual camping, and I've always loved a tent and sleeping bag, and I was like, SH/T I must be getting old, the ground sucks, lol. I think the RTT will be a good fit for weekend getaways.

Kind of a bummer to hear that about the CVT. I was looking at them a lot. But on AAV another member reported theirs coming in a cardboard box only and being damaged. Made me very uneasy.

I guess that moves Tepui back up to the top. I also found this: http://www.23zerousa.com/roof-top-tents ... top-tent-1

But I'm trying to lean more towards an established brand. Looking for a 3+ person. The kiddos are still small.
-------
------

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:25 am

I've normally heard good things about CVT but that wasn't my experience. SheepdogOutdoorsman here told me a little about RTTs before buying and he suggested 23zero after Turtle ack Trailers switched to them from CVT. CVT does have good customer support and they gave me everything I needed - down to rather one wrenches to assemble it. I wasn't hot on Tepui due to pricing and colors but I did like the 23zero stuff. The tents do feel realistically sized.

Sent from my safe space

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:20 pm

I am thinking, If I was gonna have a rooftop tent (which I planned on at one point), it would HAVE to be able to handle extreme bad weather if need be once in a while. These seem like the best solution to that end. But having never owned one, I am just speculating on it's weather resistance based on the fact that others I have seen just cover the tops & a little bit of the sides. http://tepuitents.com/products/protective-weather-hoods

http://tepuitents.com/collections/rugge ... -top-tents

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Tepui Ruggedized seem sweet. The James Barouds are cool but dang expensive. One of the South African or Aussie companies just released a new one, maybe it was Eezi-Awn that is like a heavy duty James baroud but it uses a winch to raise it. That seems sketchy and expensive. Frankly the problem with RTT's is that it's still a damn tent! I really liked the OzTent options

Sent from my safe space

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:21 am

Just got back from a weekend of camping. One of our friends has a Smittybilt RTT on his Tundra. We were saying goodbye and I was helping him pack it up and thought... Holy crap I had this exact tent! The Smittybilt was almost dead on identical to my CVT Shasta. Down to the material, sewing, features, aluminum framing, everything was the same parts. The only difference really was that the cover attached by Velcro rather than a zipper, which honestly works better than the stupid zipper CVT uses. He said his friend with a Tepui said the same exact thing when he saw the Smitty, it was the same tent minus the zipper. Mike, if that is the case you might just get a Smitty and be done with it, if the size works for you. They have a larger size out now I believe. Our friend has had it for several years and goes all over the country with it, he loves the thing.

Sent from my safe space

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:01 am

Interesting. I know CVT makes their tents overseas. It'd make sense that someone knocked them off. REI does that to a lot of companies.
-------
------

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:32 am

When we were at Overland Expo last year the owner of Nemo told me there is only one or two companies making RTT's. Somebody developed the pattern and whoever else wants a tent just makes minor changes and is good to go. I hadn't seen that in person until this weekend.

Sent from my safe space

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:55 am

Do you guys get sea sick in your roof tents?