Diesel PW Build Thread

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Diesel PW Build Thread

Post by olyelr » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:13 am

nts007 wrote:Talon awd non turbo. Had a set of bfg all terrains on it. U can see them in one of the pics beside car. 195/75-14. Last set in North America in that size in the warehouse at the time. And they went on a car lol
I never knew they made the awd without the turbo. The tires would have been an awesome site to see hahahahha. That thing probably got around so damn good.

I can attest, those drivetrains can handle some serious abuse. Like repeated wot clutch dumps with the turbo/awd model. They sure would make quite a racket, but they launched like no other hahahah.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:17 am

I thought the turbo was only 2wd?

My next door neighbor has a worked over VR4. It remionds me of the 90's every time I see it.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:34 am

Every time I see a vr4 or a stealth it makes me smile. Simpler times
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:37 am

nts, I was talking with Don a few days ago about an issue with my Trackbar and I mentioned what you were doing with the EMF joint and asked his opinion. He was totally onboard and said that basically the more rigid you can make the Trackbar the better. Small trade off of road vibration vs big steering improvement. He did say that now that there is no bushing to control the bar from rolling, to add some big rubber washers on the frame side to keep the bar in the correct rotation, otherwise the bends will drop down and hit things.

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:39 am

Awsome thanks for the info. I had wondered about that at one point but I figured I'd let It do its thing then find a solution. I might just cut up and form some specialized vulcanized rubber I have lying around and make two fancy 'twist stoppers'
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:26 am

Well today is the first day in years I've decided to not go in to work. Took a drive 10 min down the road and turned around. Not worth 300km drive only able to do 40-50kph. I was supposed to pick up my track bar today too. But 90kph winds today make it a better choice to just stay home
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

Attachments
image.jpeg

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:58 am

:jawdrop:

Ho lee chit!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:37 am

Hey look, Hell froze over!

Sent from my safe space

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:53 pm

We have days like that in Buffalo but not near as often as you do.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:14 pm

So my truck tried to kill me. Doing 60kph on the gravel and was coming up to the highway. So went to slow down. And of course there's fairly fresh snow down bout 2" deep. And the fkn abs kicked on and wouldn't stop. No matter how hard I pressed the pedal it wouldn't do shit. Tried releasing and feathering. Nothing. Well I kept rolling for 500' and finally not being able to stop I turned her into the ditch at about 30kph. Just right at the highway. Cars were coming. So it's done. Abs fuse is out for good. Had abs not interfered I would have been able to easily feather the brakes as I was trying and if needed good have dragged all 4 tires in the gravel and stopped no problem. I was livid. Took hour to shovel out. Wind was stupid and cold. I was really ready to just walk away from the truck and torch it.
image.jpg
Anyway..........

Got track bar back. Need to clean it up now and find something to coat it with. Too cold to install it so I'll wait till it gets above freezing.
image.jpg

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:41 pm

Yea fuck abs....
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:14 am

When I go off-road it's the abs and airbag fuses that go bye bye. I'm kind of liking not having abs right now with my sensor out

Sent from my safe space

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by yellowranger1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Sucks about the abs, it's a bitch just in the sand and light snow we've been in so we just pull the fuse when we go off road, can't imagine it interfering in a panic stop!

On another note, I'm no doctor, but it looks like they put a ton of heat into that joint when it was welded. I'm not familiar with the construction of those though, is there any sort of liner in there that would be damaged from the heat? Was the ball supposed to be removed prior to welding? I know they're probably totally different, but in desert race applications, when welding in a uniball, they're disassembled and a brass slug is inserted into the cup to keep it from warping when it's welded.

Not trying to be an ass/know it all, just want to make sure whoever did the work didn't cause a potential problem for you down the road of the joint warped or the ball was overheated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Appreciate the concern. I had Emf give instructions on how to weld it. Heat to 150°C, leave the ball In the socket there is nothing that can be damaged inside just some grease. Let it cool naturally.
That was directly from boss man at Emf.
To test the weld I'm gonna sledge hammer style smack the end against something really hard. It should be good. The welder I used is reputable and I believe him when he tells me he did the welding as per Emf guide. Including the rod. It was stick welded not mig or tig so it's less pretty

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Ok cool, as long as EMF said to leave the ball in place and you trust the welder, then all should be good! Just looked a little odd since I'm used to seeing joints broken down prior to welding, but they're a completely different construction, the uniballs have a teflon liner that would be destroyed, and the cups are a bit thinner so I guess more prone to warping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:36 pm

I also was moving it joint around in its socket. It's no looser or tighter than before welding. And it's tight. I'm going to pull it apart and clean it up prior to painting

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Ranger I noticed the same thing. I thought that looked like stick. He used a ton of rod on that joint. Did Clay say anything about annealing with a torch? Usually that's why chromoly is used, the ductility when annealed.

Those joints are sweet. I just disassembled my drag link joints a few days ago. It's got two sweet radius cups that surround the ball. Everything inside is HTSR chromoly, all metal with no liners. My joints just broke in. Let us know how it goes, I'm excited to hear how you like it!

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:51 pm

It was pre heated to 150°C before welding. And yea the joints are beefy

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:23 am

Still one of fave threads
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks Adeluca!!

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Alright so I got the track bar wrapped up. Made a couple of free floating bushings out of some premium vulcanized rubber. Painted it all up. But I need my yard to dry up. Nowhere right now where I feel like laying on my back under a truck. As you can see
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Snows melting fast

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:23 pm

Really digging the Canadian made spacers. Not digging the yard.

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:43 pm

ALRIGHT!!!! It's in. Friend of mine let me put the nose of the truck inside his garage. The wind was brutal today so I wasn't going to do it. Anyway it's in. I recommend anyone who does a track bar to use a ratchet strap to hold the body and axle together. Makes it easy to adjust if needed. I had installed the oem bar with lots of anti sieze!!! Best thing ever that shit.

Anyway I was prepared to basically say I couldn't tell the difference and whatever but I was more surprised by not what I noticed but what I didn't notice.

Since I've had the stock pw bar in place and prior with the Carli I would notice the steering kick round essentially like having big tires and a stock steering stab. But I have the hydro setup. But I really wasnt thinking much of it before as it wasn't much. With the stock bar in it was more noticeable. And one train track crossing had given me a wobble. Didn't like that.
So driving home today the truck finally felt like the wheels weren't kicking the steering around anymore!!! As it shouldn't!!! So yes I understand how people say it tightens the front end. There is no loss of ride comfort with no rubber bushing. If anything I would swear it's riding smoother.

I highly recommend doing a custom track bar joint setup with these emf units for anyone looking to either renew or upgrade their already upgraded track bar.

All I'm saying is wow. Super happy. Super super happy.

Also in the last pic you can see I did the most awesome upgrade that I know nobody else had done!! See if you can find it. GL :D
Attachments
image.jpg
Out with the old
image.jpg
So much nicer
image.jpg
image.jpg
And she's in!
image.jpg
Can you spot the special upgrade???

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:00 pm

FFFIIINALLY!! I'm so happy for you man! Seriously, you took forever, but I'm glad it was worth it! That's cool to hear that it helped your steering even with hydro. Somewhere between the four switched, the factory fart button, and the radio, other than that I can't tell... Third gens.

Did you by chance measure the bushing housing before tossing it, or do you still have it? My chromoly housing was blown out. They said they've only heard of that happening twice ever, but I highly doubt that.

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:05 pm

I still have it. Want it? Lol. I'll measure it tomorrow sometime

And no you didn't guess the awesome mod correctly :D

No takers??? It on the left....