Diesel PW Build Thread

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Diesel PW Build Thread

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Nice! Dude why don't you have a new bar made? Maybe you could even have Thuren make you one without the bushing sleeve and you can work the EMF joint in? I know you said the Carli bar flexes a lot.

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Yes that was an idea too but after talking to a few guys that know chromoly better than I the idea of keeping the bar and allowing the flex will help reduce the jam through the joints being no rubber bushing. They said that even though there is stress and fatigue force for now it should be ok for awhile. The bending will get far worse before it will fail. So I'm ok with that. The emf bushing is weld on so I'll cut the existing off just behind the weld and just lengthen the threads on the heim side. It should last me a couple hundred thousand klicks before there is any problem. And if it all fails well I'm only out a a couple hundred bucks
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Good point. There should be no binding though. Since there is no bushing. If you are binding it would be from the bar hitting the bracket, which I suppose is possible. Let me know how it goes! Pretty soon we're going to be replacing our unit bearings with EMF parts lol

Does EMF make SmartBars yet?

Sent from my safe space

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:53 pm

I'd buy a new Thuren bar before I went that route. I think your ride quality will suffer without some of the bushings. Eliminating the bushing isolators will transmit all of the road noise straight into the chassis. I was discussing this with Don and I think it's why we see hydraulic body mounts and huge rubber joints in the new trucks.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:I'd buy a new Thuren bar before I went that route. I think your ride quality will suffer without some of the bushings. Eliminating the bushing isolators will transmit all of the road noise straight into the chassis. I was discussing this with Don and I think it's why we see hydraulic body mounts and huge rubber joints in the new trucks.
Correct, you will feel the little stuff if you bearings on both ends. Again, 2wags has bearings on both ends. I would ask him how it feels.

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:04 pm

I have no bushings in my control arms and my ride quality improved. I don't believe for a second that replacing the one last bushing is going to make any difference In my current ride quality. It will however free up the track bar to swing more freely and stop binding when flexing. Ever try replacing springs with the track bar on? Can't get the longer ones in. But loosen the bushing bolt on the track bar and suddenly there is full droop. The new trucks get all sorts of cushy modifications because the world is a bunch of whiners and everyone wants a truck to feel like a luxury car. Have at er. When I finally decide I want a nice riding vehicle I'll get a Buick and some dentures. And Velcro shoes.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:21 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:I'd buy a new Thuren bar before I went that route. I think your ride quality will suffer without some of the bushings. Eliminating the bushing isolators will transmit all of the road noise straight into the chassis. I was discussing this with Don and I think it's why we see hydraulic body mounts and huge rubber joints in the new trucks.
Correct, you will feel the little stuff if you bearings on both ends. Again, 2wags has bearings on both ends. I would ask him how it feels.

Sent from my safe space
He's probably not the best reference for ride quality input. :lol:

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Lol. He would tell you his ride quality is unbelievably smooth.... When no wheels are on the ground.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:20 pm

Of course his wheels aren't on the ground, his trucks up on jack stands and all his wheels are broken and sitting in the bed with popped tires on them

Sent from my safe space

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:33 pm

I'm about to do something similar with my bar nts, getting rid of another bushing seems like a great idea!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Damit!! It's official.

My pw leaves are sagging. The driver side is lower than passenger by about an inch. Using the airbags to level it out right now
Damit! :cash: :cash:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Time for Thuren LT's

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:54 am

I've been eyeing them up. But having to choose leaves over3" shocks.... Hurts a little

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:32 am

Don told me what the spring rate is of the PW leaves and of his LT leaves... Holy crap his leaves are squishy soft (in a good way). I don't know man, personally if that's the split and if your airbags are working good I would go with the shocks. Since you tow and rely on bags anyways, the effect of the springs isn't as noticeable, but the shocks will always be there.

If I did something different with my shocks, it would be
1. Add another compression tube to the bypasses
2. Since you're towing, ask if Don can add the quick-adjust knobs to the bypass tubes. As easy as the locknut and set screw setup is on normal bypasses is, just turning a knob is sooooo nice

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:49 am

As far as rear shocks right now the custom valving and lightweight fluid I'm using is working well. But not in the front. I had planned on either 2.5" or 3" fronts this spring. But I need to make sure the valving works with the lightweight oil I want to keep using. As far as the springs, I've always debated hacking apart my spare leaf pack and just keeping 2-3 main springs and rely totally on the air bags using a auto levelling setup. Pipe dream for now. But I can live with 2lbs air more in the driverside bag than the passenger. For now.

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by NovA ProspekT » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:16 pm

What happened to your Power Wagon, if you don't mind me asking?
2007 DODGE POWER WAGON: 5.7L Hemi V8/Auto, Quad Cab, Flame Red
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Hella 350 LED Wide Beam Light Bar
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
[My Flickr] - [Power Wagon Build Thread]
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:51 pm

NovA ProspekT wrote:What happened to your Power Wagon, if you don't mind me asking?
Don't mind at all. I had my 06 from new to 10 on a lease that I originally though would just re lease. But I fell in love with it. I was keeping it!! I extended the lease and when the time ran out I asked Chrysler to give me 30days to come up with the 10grand buyout. Work was just getting back on track so I knew I would be able to. They refused to extend and I had to choose to let the wagon go so I could keep my 3500 I needed for work. It was a shitty day. Worst part I saw it at the dealership less than a month later with a sticker of $18,900. I only owed $9,200 for the buyout :cry: :cry:
It sold 3 days after it was on the lot for asking price. Wanted me to pay another $8,000 (up to) if they had to sell the truck at a reduced amount on damages or repairs. I just laughed and said no. They wanted my business so they washed it anyway. Some lucky sob got a 06 wagon with new tranny new tcase newer tires dynatrac Balljoints new steering and a bunch of other goodies. At a good price with only 108k km.

I bought this truck with the plan to build my dream of a diesel powwrwagon. I'm getting there. But one day I will find an 06-08 pw and go nuts with it again. Untill then I'm here making it stink like diesel!

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by NovA ProspekT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:11 am

Thanks for the explanation, sorry to hear it turned out that way.

Trucks looking great by the way!
2007 DODGE POWER WAGON: 5.7L Hemi V8/Auto, Quad Cab, Flame Red
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Hella 350 LED Wide Beam Light Bar
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
[My Flickr] - [Power Wagon Build Thread]
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:38 am

Thanks Nova!
I was pretty upset back then but it's life. And you move on. I've had a couple chances to buy a pw again but I've been holding off. It's just not time yet. Plus it's as much to build a truck as it is to buy one.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:24 pm

It's warming up!!! Gonna be a couple degrees above freezing next week!! Which is perfect since my bushing is going to be here Monday or Tuesday from Emf!!! Decided to see how the car is doing. Aside from 2-3' of snow up the sides of its tent and the smell of cat piss it looks ready for a bath!! Lol. Maybe this year I will actually get to drive it.
Attachments
image.jpeg

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Alright super excited today! Presents from Emf. Boy they package these items like they are glass!! They really care about their stuff. And then we go and thrash the crap outta it lol. weld on Bushing arrived today. It's beautiful. Normally they make these out of 1018 but they machined this one for me out of 4130 chromoly because I'm welding it to carli's 4130 bar. This thing is heavy!! Next step is cutting the old bushing off. Might get to it this week. Here's couple pics
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:46 pm

I'm excited to see how this goes

Sent from my safe space

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:10 am

Damn. They put out some high speed low drag goods!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Alright let's get started!! How do you cut a bushing off and keep the angled alignment? Easy. Hole saw that fits perfectly over the bushing. And happens to match the new od of the new bushing
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Perfect!!
image.jpeg
Free Carli bushing u pay shipping

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm slightly hard right now.

Sent from my safe space