exhaust

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Digger
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Re: exhaust

Post by Digger » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:03 am

Has anyone tried these yet ?
2010pw,sold 2013 raptor "company truck" 2013 pw,sold ... 2016 pw

Digger
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Digger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:02 am

dodgeman324 wrote:I also went with that Magnaflow mentioned above, and had it dump right after the muffler, so in front of the rear axle. No way anything will touch it when rock-crawling, well, I shouldn't say no way, maybe re-word to highly unlikely. I like the sound, and the improved throttle response was nice as well. Seemed like it was a perfect pressure amount in front of the muffler, because if you have it TOO free flowing, or TOO restricted, you can have negative effects I've learned. When I got the truck, the previous owner had already converted to a true dual off-brand exhaust, but I couldn't fit the two big Magnaflow mufflers under the bed so I went with the one big one, I'm pretty sure exact model mentioned above. So now, I'm true duals coming from engine, into single big muffler, and immediately dumped. No resonator, two catalytics. It's suiting my tastes, but I do indeed plan to upgrade headers at some point once I figure out the best bang for the buck.

Does muffler you mention have 3" or 3.5" in/out ?

Luke Duke
Model Year: 2014

Post by Luke Duke » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:29 am

At the local shop (with a mandrel bender) they said I should stick with the single out, but go to a better Y up front when I get a CAI and Tuner. Another thing I've found interesting is that we've all talked about back pressure for years, at least in my neck of the woods, when in reality it's lost in exhaust flow velocity that kills torque. Anyhow, the guy told me to just put the 22" single in/out magnaflow on the truck and cut the hemorrhoid off the back. He prefers the clean look of no exhaust pipes showing bug said he'd do tips etc or duals if I'd rather.

Digger
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Digger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:44 am

I was just confused because the part number states it's a 3" in and a 3" out I thought our trucks factory were 3.5" didn't know if it made a difference or not

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:59 pm

Digger wrote:I was just confused because the part number states it's a 3" in and a 3" out I thought our trucks factory were 3.5" didn't know if it made a difference or not
The mufflers are 3-inch in and out. And yes our exhaust is 3.5" - the pipe down will help with back pressure when switching to the smaller overall muffler. Losing it would hurt overall performance. :cheers:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Black Pearl
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Black Pearl » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:34 am

That sounds great for sure!!!
Man imagine if we could get these things w a manual trans....(No comment from the 2005 unicorns out there).
Nice tone. I bet with trailer hooked up and 5k revving you are in heaven.
My mopar cold air (ok+) with Y pipe and Magnaflow 14 sounds SO good at 4+K.Well to me at least.
nN
ce work!!!

Black Pearl
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Black Pearl » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:37 am

Nice work.....
Sorry about that

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:18 am

Luke Duke wrote:At the local shop (with a mandrel bender) they said I should stick with the single out, but go to a better Y up front when I get a CAI and Tuner. Another thing I've found interesting is that we've all talked about back pressure for years, at least in my neck of the woods, when in reality it's lost in exhaust flow velocity that kills torque. Anyhow, the guy told me to just put the 22" single in/out magnaflow on the truck and cut the hemorrhoid off the back. He prefers the clean look of no exhaust pipes showing bug said he'd do tips etc or duals if I'd rather.
That's basically the exact set-up I'm running now
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

Sumbeach84
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Sumbeach84 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:53 am

I straight piped my muffler yesterday on my 09. Not no where near as loud as I expected actually. Left the resonator but my exhaust guy told me it wouldn't make a difference if I did cut it out it would sound the same. I love it so far nice rumble under low acceleration but she talks when ya give it hell

dodgeman324
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by dodgeman324 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:16 am

Digger wrote:
dodgeman324 wrote:I also went with that Magnaflow mentioned above, and had it dump right after the muffler, so in front of the rear axle. No way anything will touch it when rock-crawling, well, I shouldn't say no way, maybe re-word to highly unlikely. I like the sound, and the improved throttle response was nice as well. Seemed like it was a perfect pressure amount in front of the muffler, because if you have it TOO free flowing, or TOO restricted, you can have negative effects I've learned. When I got the truck, the previous owner had already converted to a true dual off-brand exhaust, but I couldn't fit the two big Magnaflow mufflers under the bed so I went with the one big one, I'm pretty sure exact model mentioned above. So now, I'm true duals coming from engine, into single big muffler, and immediately dumped. No resonator, two catalytics. It's suiting my tastes, but I do indeed plan to upgrade headers at some point once I figure out the best bang for the buck.

Does muffler you mention have 3" or 3.5" in/out ?
The one I got has the 3inch in/out. I think it gave just the right amount of pressure to the system.
Brandon T. - HollyFrontier / US Army Reserves - 13+ years combined Active and Reserves with 1 tour to Iraq in 2009.
2005 Dodge Ram SRT10 Quad Cab, with lots of upgrades = 600+whp/650+wtq.
2012 Chrysler Town and Country Limited, Pentastar V6, Dual DVD.

Former Vehicles:
2005 Dodge Ram PowerWagon, lots of upgrades.
2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 4.7L, White, Black wheels, K&N CAI, 70mm Throttle body, Superships, E-Fan conversion, LED Tails/3rd Brake, HID's
2011 Dodge Journey Mainstreet, Red, Sirius, Push button start, Pentastar.
2007 Dodge Powerwagon, 35inch Nitto's, AEM ColdAir, Flowmaster 40 (Oh I will miss you sooooooo much and I will buy you again when times are right)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, QuadraDrive II, 2 inch lift, 31inch offroad tires. (Will also miss you too, I'll miss all the times a guy in a Wrangler says "You can't do this in THAT!" and then I do it without problems)
2004 Dodge Durango Crew Cab, 4X2, Rhinoliner, K&N Airfilter.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Kenne Bell Supercharger Kit, Custom Headers, Borla exhaust, 508rwhp.
1998 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
1994 Dodge Ram Regular Cab (my first vehicle, besides the hand me down 1988 Ford Ranger)

Married 13 year, Father to Braden (9 yrs) and Mia (5 yrs).

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:45 am

Backpressure on an exhaust system is totally misunderstood. ANY "backpressure" or "resistance" in the exhaust system robs power. From big horsepower dragsters to hopped up Vtwin's. The exhasut system plays a big role in making power. Many upgrade intake, fuel, etc... and then drop the ball on the exhaust. Adding a bigger pipe does not help. The exhaust has a pulse, not a constant flow like a heating and air system or plumbing pipe. Since it has a pulse, it needs the correct sized pipe to continue to move with a rhythm and not disturb the pulse. A "tuned" exhaust is correctly sized in diameter and length. For a more simple design, take a V twin engine, on a dyno, two pipes sized a 1.5" at 33" long may produce the most power from the engine without changing anything else verses 2" pipe at 33" long. There will be a disturbance and a lazy, slow exhaust escape and you will loose the scavenging effect. In reality you want those pulses to travel down the exhaust as fast as they can and exit at the proper time to actually create a negative pressure within the chamber, this will help the engine start literally pulling in air harder as soon as the intake valve opens due to a negative pressure chamber, less work for the engine. The less the engine has to "work" to push the exhaust out and to pull the intake in, the more power it will produce. However, by simply putting on a 4" exhaust and saying I lost low end torque, is not accurate, you actually created a lazy exhaust and the engine is now working more to move air through itself. The next step past a perfectly tuned exhaust is the turbo... the more air you can move through the engine, the more power it will produce.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

dodgeman324
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by dodgeman324 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:20 am

That's good info. I never even considered the science behind exhaust and intakes. I just know that, for whatever reason, when I dropped my two off-brand mufflers that were rusting out for the one big Magnaflow, my truck got a little boost in power, noticeable boost. I already had my cold-air intake on before that exhaust work so I guess I had already helped it pull in the air, but maybe my old mufflers and extra piping taking it to the back bumper was perhaps just giving a slightly negative pressure. I'm no scientist on that, but I like the way you explained it.
Brandon T. - HollyFrontier / US Army Reserves - 13+ years combined Active and Reserves with 1 tour to Iraq in 2009.
2005 Dodge Ram SRT10 Quad Cab, with lots of upgrades = 600+whp/650+wtq.
2012 Chrysler Town and Country Limited, Pentastar V6, Dual DVD.

Former Vehicles:
2005 Dodge Ram PowerWagon, lots of upgrades.
2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 4.7L, White, Black wheels, K&N CAI, 70mm Throttle body, Superships, E-Fan conversion, LED Tails/3rd Brake, HID's
2011 Dodge Journey Mainstreet, Red, Sirius, Push button start, Pentastar.
2007 Dodge Powerwagon, 35inch Nitto's, AEM ColdAir, Flowmaster 40 (Oh I will miss you sooooooo much and I will buy you again when times are right)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, QuadraDrive II, 2 inch lift, 31inch offroad tires. (Will also miss you too, I'll miss all the times a guy in a Wrangler says "You can't do this in THAT!" and then I do it without problems)
2004 Dodge Durango Crew Cab, 4X2, Rhinoliner, K&N Airfilter.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Kenne Bell Supercharger Kit, Custom Headers, Borla exhaust, 508rwhp.
1998 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
1994 Dodge Ram Regular Cab (my first vehicle, besides the hand me down 1988 Ford Ranger)

Married 13 year, Father to Braden (9 yrs) and Mia (5 yrs).

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:39 am

dodgeman324 wrote:That's good info. I never even considered the science behind exhaust and intakes. I just know that, for whatever reason, when I dropped my two off-brand mufflers that were rusting out for the one big Magnaflow, my truck got a little boost in power, noticeable boost. I already had my cold-air intake on before that exhaust work so I guess I had already helped it pull in the air, but maybe my old mufflers and extra piping taking it to the back bumper was perhaps just giving a slightly negative pressure. I'm no scientist on that, but I like the way you explained it.
Another thought, a single cylinder, it thumps, throws a pulse of gas down the pipe, if there is a restriction, the second pulse will catch up with the first and so on, like someone hitting the brakes in a traffic. With the pipe sized right, that pulse moves at the fastest velocity and exits before the pulse behind it can catch up. There is also length to consider, you have friction loss. The longer the pipe, sooner or later that first pulse will begin to slow down and it backs up the system (traffic jamb again), you want that first pulse to travel as far as it can without loosing enough speed for the second to catch it and exit before it begins to slow down. Too big of a pipe and the first pulse sort of slows down and poke asses down the tube also causing a disturbance in the flow like traffic would do on a 3 lane highway with no lane lines, some dumbass will mess up the flow of traffic...

This is why see custom headers all tied in knots, they are designing the lengths of each header tube for each cylinder to hit at the perfect spot like 4 lanes of traffic merging together without slowing down....
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:47 am

Indeed^^^ one can also speed up exhaust pulse/scavenging by retaining heat within the exhaust i.e. Ceramic coating and wrapping. I felt a noticeable change in throttle response from wrapping my y pipe and ceramic coating my manifolds.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sun May 01, 2016 11:19 am

My new muffler fell off but I left it like that for the day while doing our test and tune Saturday lol sounded real good https://vimeo.com/164897357

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Sun May 01, 2016 11:33 am

2wagons1driveway wrote:My new muffler fell off but I left it like that for the day while doing our test and tune Saturday lol sounded real good https://vimeo.com/164897357

Sent from Canada
Haha, just like Baja

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Sun May 01, 2016 12:05 pm

I've been very happy with my Jones Turbine 3.5" muffler. Been using their stuff (formerly Aero) for years. They do require a break-in period though as the exhaust note will change over time. Sounds very aggressive at idle and low RPM, then peaks around 1,700 as you can hear the exhaust beginning to create the turbine effect. Anything higher actually gets quieter and creates what I can only describe as a whooshing sound and a VERY noticeable increase in power. The higher RPM these mufflers get the better they work. It's unique from all the usual Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhausts on the street. And all stainless steel to boot!
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Tue May 03, 2016 2:46 pm

I just ordered a summit racing manual dump/ cut out y pipe to install before the flow master lol cause man I really liked that sound when I was ripping http://youtu.be/y2dHG8TDsSk

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by Stickman » Wed May 04, 2016 1:15 am

Quick Time Performance electric cut-outs man, that's where it's at.
Live To Ride, Ride To Live

2012 Ram Power Wagon - Check out my build thread to see my mods! http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2187

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by Easttnrhino » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:06 pm

I have 2017 with 6.4 I may change mufflers latter but right now just wanting to cut resonator off before it gets tore off, not to mention it looks like crap. Has anyone done this with stock muffler, and any cab drone, will not mind truck being louder. Thanks
Enjoying beautiful east TN

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:40 am

Easttnrhino wrote:I have 2017 with 6.4 I may change mufflers latter but right now just wanting to cut resonator off before it gets tore off, not to mention it looks like crap. Has anyone done this with stock muffler, and any cab drone, will not mind truck being louder. Thanks

Yes.
Not much, noticeable on take off & 20-40mph most.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

LumberZach
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by LumberZach » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:22 am

Stickman wrote:Quick Time Performance electric cut-outs man, that's where it's at.
Have you been using one on the 6.4l? QTP and DMH seem to be the two everyone uses, but it sounds like everyone's motor goes out sooner or later.

Ramajama
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Ramajama » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:41 pm

MikeKey wrote:I was thinking about running ARH Longtube headers. But they would mess with low-end torque and I'll need a tune for best results.

I purchased a Magnaflow 12589 muffler. On my 1500 I had installed the Mufflex 14inch muffler. And I liked the sound. This time I thought I'd try something a little similar but more custom.

Took it to a local exhaust shop in town, paid $200 even to have it installed and have the trash can resonator removed. Was very clear about wanting it to be out of the way for ground clearance.

What he came up with was fantastic. I'm very happy with the results.

You can check out an exhaust clip here. I waited a couple of days for the exhaust to break in before recording it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z28lVGwiVvk
That looks and sounds GREAT! Man! your truck took off like a scalded dog!
2018 RAM 2500 Power Wagon :rockon:
2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Lux
2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE
2003 Land Rover Discovery II HSE7

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:04 pm

On the 5.7, is anyone running a Jones/Aero Turbine? I've cut off my resonator due to damage to the tube and it really didn't change anything. Im considering cutting my exhaust right after the y-pipe and welding a Turbine 3030XL in, inside the skid plate for the transfer case and drive shaft. I don't want an exhaust that is fatiguing if we take a 10 hour road trip, and I don't want something that draws unnecessary attention, but I do want my truck to sound like it had a Hemi in it.

A big reason for putting it in that spot is that it would free up a ton of space underneath the bed for storage and a water tank.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:24 pm

Ramajama wrote:
MikeKey wrote:I was thinking about running ARH Longtube headers. But they would mess with low-end torque and I'll need a tune for best results.

I purchased a Magnaflow 12589 muffler. On my 1500 I had installed the Mufflex 14inch muffler.

You can check out an exhaust clip here. I waited a couple of days for the exhaust to break in before recording it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z28lVGwiVvk
That looks and sounds GREAT! Man! your truck took off like a scalded dog!
Thanks a lot. I'm still happy with the muffler. It's really broken in now. It's a little bit louder, but not much. Inside the cabin noise level is fine. I still think about adding the longtubes. Maybe, I dunno. :cheers:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures