Thinking about buying but for some questions

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
NickPic83
50_Posts
50_Posts

Thinking about buying but for some questions

Post by NickPic83 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:33 am

Got some questions as I'm interested in these beasts

1. How is the on road ride. I know it's a 3/4 ton straight front axle but since its got a softer suspension than the regular 2500 I was wondering if it's smooth or not. Is it closer to a 2500 or 1500 in ride comfort?

2.will the 200A alternator suffice or is the dual alternators considered an almost "necessary" upgrade?

3.any common issues on newer models?

4.how r dealers working pricing, are they giving decent discounts on these?

5.any do's or dont's with options?

6.any regrets?

7.must do mods?

8. Share a current pic of yours. We all love pictures, especially these awesome rigs!

Thank you in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

NickPic83
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: Thinking about buying but for some questions

Post by NickPic83 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Sorry about the title typo....should of said but I got some questions

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:44 pm

The ride is very nice for a 3/4 ton truck. But nowhere near the ride quality of a half ton truck.

The standard alternator is 220 amp. I would get the dual alternator (380 amp) if i had the option. If you dont have a bunch of added electronics and dont winch heavily all the time, i think the standard alternator is most likely just fine.

When i bought my truck the norm for rams was 10 grand off the msrp. I got a little more than that off. Not sure what it is anymore.

In my opinion a good mod is some type of rocker protection. These trucks are long, which can make them relatively low when considering breakover angles.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:15 pm

6.any regrets?
Only that I don't have two of them.

vanished
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by vanished » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:35 pm

I've been getting quoted about $10k off - $5k in rebates and 1% below invoice (supplier pricing)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:44 pm

NickPic83 wrote:Got some questions as I'm interested in these beasts

1. How is the on road ride. I know it's a 3/4 ton straight front axle but since its got a softer suspension than the regular 2500 I was wondering if it's smooth or not. Is it closer to a 2500 or 1500 in ride comfort?
Good for what it is which is a 3/4 ton truck. If you want a half ton ride you should buy a 1500.

2.will the 200A alternator suffice or is the dual alternators considered an almost "necessary" upgrade?
That depends on you. The 220A alternator with a second battery is going to get a lot of work done. Dual alternators would be a great option if you can get them.

This is a mature platform at this point, most of the bugs are worked out aside from normal warranty issues you'd find with any new vehicle.

I paid $13K under MSRP. Ram is about to release a new HD platform in two years so I would expect substantial deals. The rebate on 2017 Laramie Power Wagons is $4250.

Get every option you want now because some can not be added later.

6.any regrets?
None

7.must do mods?
37's

8. Share a current pic of yours. We all love pictures, especially these awesome rigs!

Happy Thanksgiving

NickPic83
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by NickPic83 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:27 pm

Are 37's doable on stock wheels with no mods?

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:31 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:

Good for what it is which is a 3/4 ton truck. If you want a half ton ride you should buy a 1500.

That depends on you. The 220A alternator with a second battery is going to get a lot of work done. Dual alternators would be a great option if you can get them.

This is a mature platform at this point, most of the bugs are worked out aside from normal warranty issues you'd find with any new vehicle.

I paid $13K under MSRP. Ram is about to release a new HD platform in two years so I would expect substantial deals. The rebate on 2017 Laramie Power Wagons is $4250.

Get every option you want now because some can not be added later.

6.any regrets?
None

7.must do mods?
37's

Happy Thanksgiving

Reloaderguy said it all !! :rockon:

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:00 pm

2005 owner here:

I believe the newer models will have a much better ride. Different suspension, 4:10 gears. Tire pressure will make a difference but new ones have pressure sensor which may not like lower numbers. Test drive will tell you what it is like for your tastes.

Dual alts would only be needed for heavy winching. Wouldn't hurt to have it if price is right no matter what.

Main "bug" over the years....lockers. Hard to engage / hard to troubleshoot / hard (expensive) to repair. Dealer is about the only option.
Locker bypass helps but does not cure issues.

If you plan on keeping truck for a long time get extended warranty.

Have you done test drive yet?

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:12 pm

1. Can you afford the truck?
2. Can you afford taking a mortgage out for your gas tank?

If so, buy one :lol:

To answer your questions:
2. You don't need two alternators unless you are using your truck and an inverter in place of a generator, BUT it's only a few bucks a month. I would say go for it, and if one does just don't replace it.

5. Buy the truck for what you need. My model has all options but leather and sunroof. I love it. I have vinyl floors and love it.

6. I went 34" Toyo MT's. I should have gone 35's, maybe even 37's. Love the Toyo's.

7. Rock rails from Aluminess or White Knuckle if you do a lot of rocks. Clean your rear diff and change the fluid often.

Mine is a 2011 and has been beat to hell and back by the US Govt. it starts every time, never gives a hassle. It's the most capable thing I've ever owned. Also, my friend who is an Engineer for King Shocks said it rides better than his 1500 Silverado, so... Yeah!

It makes me smile every day. ImageImage

NickPic83
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by NickPic83 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:35 pm

I have not test driven one yet. Kinda why I asked about the ride comfort. It's hard to find one by me right now.

How much are the warranties going for?

NickPic83
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by NickPic83 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:39 pm

flattire wrote:2005 owner here:

I believe the newer models will have a much better ride. Different suspension, 4:10 gears. Tire pressure will make a difference but new ones have pressure sensor which may not like lower numbers. Test drive will tell you what it is like for your tastes.

Dual alts would only be needed for heavy winching. Wouldn't hurt to have it if price is right no matter what.

Main "bug" over the years....lockers. Hard to engage / hard to troubleshoot / hard (expensive) to repair. Dealer is about the only option.
Locker bypass helps but does not cure issues.

If you plan on keeping truck for a long time get extended warranty.

Have you done test drive yet?
I haven't driven one yet, that's why I was asking about the ride. I'm having a hard time finding one local
DamageWagon wrote:1. Can you afford the truck?
2. Can you afford taking a mortgage out for your gas tank?

If so, buy one Image

To answer your questions:
2. You don't need two alternators unless you are using your truck and an inverter in place of a generator, BUT it's only a few bucks a month. I would say go for it, and if one does just don't replace it.

5. Buy the truck for what you need. My model has all options but leather and sunroof. I love it. I have vinyl floors and love it.

6. I went 34" Toyo MT's. I should have gone 35's, maybe even 37's. Love the Toyo's.

7. Rock rails from Aluminess or White Knuckle if you do a lot of rocks. Clean your rear diff and change the fluid often.

Mine is a 2011 and has been beat to hell and back by the US Govt. it starts every time, never gives a hassle. It's the most capable thing I've ever owned. Also, my friend who is an Engineer for King Shocks said it rides better than his 1500 Silverado, so... Yeah!

It makes me smile every day. ImageImage

I can afford one. Paying for fuel isn't an issue. I am used to it....had a Raptor (12.5 mog premium) and currently have a power stroke with lift and 37's that sucks down the diesel even while deleted and tuned.

dodgeman324
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by dodgeman324 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:40 pm

Everybody has already said it, and I agree, no regrets. I've owned two so far at the age of 35, and I know I'll own more as life goes on. However, I don't know where you live, but mine is for sale in the classifieds here. I've determined I go through stages between going slow rockcrawling and going fast, and I'm currently switching to the fast stage again, so selling my offroader. It's been very well taken care of mechanically, but does get wheeled often so pinstriping and some dents and dings are present. Anyways, can't go wrong with a Powerwagon, best trucks ever built, but purpose built, keep that in mind. :)
Brandon T. - HollyFrontier / US Army Reserves - 13+ years combined Active and Reserves with 1 tour to Iraq in 2009.
2005 Dodge Ram SRT10 Quad Cab, with lots of upgrades = 600+whp/650+wtq.
2012 Chrysler Town and Country Limited, Pentastar V6, Dual DVD.

Former Vehicles:
2005 Dodge Ram PowerWagon, lots of upgrades.
2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 4.7L, White, Black wheels, K&N CAI, 70mm Throttle body, Superships, E-Fan conversion, LED Tails/3rd Brake, HID's
2011 Dodge Journey Mainstreet, Red, Sirius, Push button start, Pentastar.
2007 Dodge Powerwagon, 35inch Nitto's, AEM ColdAir, Flowmaster 40 (Oh I will miss you sooooooo much and I will buy you again when times are right)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, QuadraDrive II, 2 inch lift, 31inch offroad tires. (Will also miss you too, I'll miss all the times a guy in a Wrangler says "You can't do this in THAT!" and then I do it without problems)
2004 Dodge Durango Crew Cab, 4X2, Rhinoliner, K&N Airfilter.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Kenne Bell Supercharger Kit, Custom Headers, Borla exhaust, 508rwhp.
1998 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
1994 Dodge Ram Regular Cab (my first vehicle, besides the hand me down 1988 Ford Ranger)

Married 13 year, Father to Braden (9 yrs) and Mia (5 yrs).

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:28 pm

Most who have owned a PW and have gotten rid of it. Wish that they would have kept it. I'm planning on getting buried in mine. That should tell something about the PW. There have been a few who bought the PW thinking one thing, but turns out that they bought the wrong truck for their needs.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:41 pm

The one mod that I would list as an absolute necessity is a set of Whiteknuckle rock sliders!!! Even if you plan to leave it stock, they are a MUST!!!! With the long wheelbase, our trucks love to drag belly on the trail, LOL! As to the ride, honestly I think my 2012 rides better than a 2016. BUT, I have full Carli suspension and 37" Nitto Trail Grappers so... :D

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:03 pm

Not sure what year you're looking for but "cough" mines for sale

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

Boomerttl

Post by Boomerttl » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:17 pm

Go for it, I'm on my 2nd one, had an 05, traded in for an 15, nothing wrong with the 05 just wanted a new plusher truck with the Laramie. I love them, I don't wheel as hard as most of these guys on here mine gets used most this time of year for I am a duck hunter lol and I find myself in some pretty messy places far from home and so I bought the best instead of buying a regular 4x4 and adding all the things the power wagons have, why not just buy one from the factory, and plus always loved power wagons ever since I was a little kid and watched the t.v. Show Simon and Simon and also its mopar or nocar : :rockon: just remember they love to drink fuel, I just hope they never quit making them.
First wagon 05 bright white,my second wagon 15 Laramie granite crystal

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Even if/when I get something else, I will still keep the PW.

:lol: Here is another way to tell how much we like our Wagon's: True Story here. I stopped by the biggest dodge dealer in my area to look at a brand new jeep 4 door (because i was in the area for something else) that had a lift & 35" tires bumper/winch. My foot didn't even hit the blacktop & a salesman was coming at me. Thought he had a live one. He asked me if I was gonna trade the PW on that jeep. I just started laughing. I said no way, no how. He asked why not. I replied that I'm never getting rid of it. Told him it was more rare than a shelby mustang. He asked, hows that. I told him it has a G-56 6-speed manual transmission. He said "no it don't." I laughed again. He said "they never made the G-56 available with the HEMI." I laughed again & asked him how long he has been selling cars. 27 yrs he said & I sold all 3 Power Wagons that we got in. I laughed & told him to take a peek inside the cab. He did & said holy shit, I'll be right back & he left. He came back out with the owner, who collects rare vehicles. He made me the following offer: trade me straight up for a brand new 2012 PW that they had on the lot. I did not blink & said "no way in hell." He wanted to know why. I told him, I use my truck, as a truck, & bought it for HD work because the 545RFE automatic transmissions absolutely SUCK for doing HD work. Got in my truck & drove away. :lol: :rockon:

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:02 pm

I like it. Similar to my 2500 GMs with IFS. Does buck a bit on concrete. Not a car, but not spine jarring. Much better than the '11 Ram 1500 I had (it floated like a '70s Caddy. It sucked.) More similar to my stock 2001 Ram1500.

Stock alternator is the same as my Ram 1500, which I run dual winches, one ton axles, 42"s etc. Single Optima. No complaints. I would suggest the alternator upgrade would only be required for a lot of aftermarket gizmos. I have a decent sub and amp plus old school pro-comp lights, no issues with the alternator.

15k miles, no issues on my 2016.

Discounted like other Rams, no premium. Most dealers will try to talk you into a diesel.

I like all the ones I have. The keyless entry works much better in this truck than others I have used, including my wifes' 2012 Caddy.

6.any regrets?
Don't like the color I got (Granite Crystal.) OEM Wheels are ugly, but mine are getting a lot of rock rash so they are coming around!

7.must do mods?
White knuckle sliders. They have saved a ton of damage to my truck already

2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:05 pm

2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:49 pm

6.any regrets?

7.must do mods?

1.) I actually upgraded from a 1500 Ram Laramie to my Power Wagon Laramie, and I think the ride is just as smooth as the 1500 Truck on the highway or the road. Where I notice that it's not the 1500 is with pot holes, speedbumps, rough roads, etc. Then it becomes obvious I have a solid axle. But otherwise, it feels just as smooth, if not more planted because of the weight.

2.) I have the dual alternators and I've done some winching, they help a lot. Although you could do a dual battery setup. But with the dual alternators you've got that feature right off the bat without having to do mods. I think it's worth it. Especially for adding a second battery later. MORE POWER. :)

6.) Yea, I wish I didn't blow money on the 1500. This is the truck I wanted, and should of bought first.

7.) Rock sliders, Front & Rear diff protection if you like to actually wheel and you're not a poser. Also 35's fit without mods. I even got the 35x12.5R17 spare stuffed in the stock location.

All and all, I love this truck. I probably won't get rid of it. Maybe I'll upgrade to a newer one in the future, but I've been a happy camper for the past year. :cheers:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by LagunaH1 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:44 am

I don't think I can add anything which hasn't already been said. I *love* this truck. I love the ride, which is definitely a TRUCK ride, but a really comfortable one at that. -That's what I wanted. I spent quite some time watching the local dealers inventory on their websites and found one at a local dealer which they seemed to have a hard time selling. Every month, they would lower the price. When it got to the point of being some 13 grand under MSRP I pulled the trigger. Not sure if my experience was unusual but: Make sure they include the accessory kit that comes with the truck (winch hook, winch controller, couple of other things) as that was absent in mine. Getting those items replaced was a bit of a struggle until I called the dealership general manager and politely told him about the situation. He got it taken care of real quick.

I was initially worried about my truck not having the 220 amp or dual alternators, but it's turning out to be a complete non-issue for me. I hardly ever winch. I do run a couple of HAM radios and they run very well off a dedicated second battery I have added along with a battery isolator and charge controller.

I love the sound system in the truck. I'm frustrated by how poorly the "Siri eyes free" phone integration works. If you have an Android phone, that's a complete non-issue as the Android phones seem to work *much* better with the uConnect system for being able to dictate text messages and ssend them hands free.

The truck is thirsty, but that's expected :)

I have a set of white knuckle sliders on order and am looking forward to the peace of mind they will provide.

Did I mention that I absolutely love this truck? I love that it's relatively tall so I have excellent visibility in traffic. I love that it's a big truck!

Iiiiiii
big
trucks and I cannot lie

(wow, too much coffee already, LOL)

Anyways: My biggest suggestion would be to take your time to make sur you find a truck that's exactly like you want it to be. Do what you need to do to make sure you love the truck.

Best of luck to you, please post updates.
2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon SLT
NR6E

NickPic83
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by NickPic83 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:27 pm

Awesome feedback guys. Thank you everyone. I'll be sure to update with my progress.

Keep it coming, loving the answers and of course the pics!

NickPic83
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by NickPic83 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:18 pm

Having trouble finding one local to test drive. Anyone ever own or still owns a 2011-2016 superduty? I hate the way my superduty rides and I want to make sure it rides better than that. Honestly that's my biggest thing keeping me from pricing one out right now. I want to make sure it's has a decent ride on the road. I know about the tradeoffs of an off-road designed truck and a 3/4 ton truck at that, but if it's as stiff as my superduty I may need to reevaluate. I like to use my truck for long road trips with the family and the ride of my superduty just makes it unpleasant. That was one of the things I miss about the Raptor. It had good road comfort. I know this is a 3/4 ton so it will be a bit firmer but I just want to be sure it doesn't ride like my superduty.

LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by LagunaH1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:24 pm

Where are you located?

-You might be able to persuade someone to meet up and let you drive their truck.
2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon SLT
NR6E