Caution on inveriers

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Caution on inveriers

Post by RustyPW » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:43 pm

Caution on inverters. Was reading on a rv forum about some problems people were having. There are 2 types of inverters. A TSW (true sine wave), and a MSW (modified sine wave). It seems that the MSW does not play well with modern digital electronics. People are losing their coffee makers (K-cup type) and other electronics. :shock: It was traced back to their inverter type. The TSW inverters have no problems. I know people here are using inverters for their fridges and other stuff. I figure to give you guys a heads up. Here's a quote from the thread. This is only a part of the thread.

Generic info:
Iinverters come in 2x2.sizes types
First division
True sine wave or Modified sine wave. True is by far the best.. In the old days Xantrex, who makes both, had a document on their web site titled things that may not work properly on MSW inverters.. It was a LONG list of things and growing faster than they could update it.. Even LED nightlights are on the list believe it or not.

TSW (Also known as Pure Sine Wave) the list was much shorter.. In fact it had only one entry (Common to both lists by the way)

EVERYTHING, even my most sensitive radio receiver works just fine with the TSW inverter on and working, ONLY thing that ever gave me a problem was a deffective to began with coffee pot.. It has since been replaced..twice. (First replacement wore out, I'm a coffee-holic don't you know)

Now, to the comments:
Some of the MSW inverters out there are el-cheapo pieces of .... Avoid them.

But when you get a True Sine Inverter with a decent 3-stage charger module... I've yet to see one of those that was crap. All were well designed. Of course with the influx of China products.. that may change some day soon, or not.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Caution on inveriers

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:17 pm

Good subject to mention. The biggest risk we have is our laptop. Laptop chargers need tries sine wave or you can kill the laptop. Finding a dedicated 12v charger is better if there is one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:26 pm

Good information !! Thank you for the heads up,,,,much appreciated
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker motors,sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:24 am

Magnum is a great product, and made in the USA, their prices though reflect that. Samalex makes their inverters in China, but they are equal quality. I have had one of their Pure Shines in my Airstream for a year and a half, no problems, and 600 watts.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:36 am

Does anyone know with 100% certainty that the 110 outlet that Ram is putting in the dashboard is MSW? I'm 99.5% sure it is, but I'm no expert.

John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Low_Sky wrote:Does anyone know with 100% certainty that the 110 outlet that Ram is putting in the dashboard is MSW? I'm 99.5% sure it is, but I'm no expert.

I would always assume it is MSW until proven otherwise. TSW is much more expensive. It can be checked by using an oscilloscope though. TSW has a smooth sine wave, whereas MSW uses a block pattern that switches instantly from + to -

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:59 pm

2 diagrams of the sine waves.
Attachments
modified-sine-wave-vs-pure-sine-wave.jpg
sine or modified.png
sine or modified.png (76.81 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Limamikemike
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Limamikemike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:26 pm

We've got a mod sine xantrex 1800w in our trailer and have been running a mini keurig and a LCD tv on it for a couple of years. No issues, I have heard that it can mess with anything that uses a clock though.
2015 Bright White Powerwagon Laramie, gone but not forgotten.