Head Gasket

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Head Gasket

Post by pdavey » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:01 pm

So the truck is still idling rough. Haven't been able to figure out what the issue is.

- battery has tested fine
- all the fuel injectors have the same resistance (~12.5 ohms)
- throttle body is fine (replaced it with a new one and same result so old one is back on)
- intake manifold, map sensor and PCV valve have been replaced
- fuel rail pressure tested well at 58 PSI when charged and on
- unplugged and plugged back in all the harnesses and checked all the grounds
- Reloaded stock tune and started it with the same result
- Reloaded the Arrington performance tune
- checked all vacuum hoses and none of them are cracked or leaking

Any other thoughts from the group on what to test?

It is not throwing any P Codes or errors

The ABS and Brake lights are on buy don't have a tool to read that code, however wouldn't think that would have anything to do with idle.

The rough idle definitely sounds like it is a fuel air mixture issue

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2005 Dodge Power Wagon QC Black - "Laramie"
Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Kenwood KVT-719 w/ Garmin Navigation and Kenwood Rear Camera, JL Stealth Sub
Suspension/Protection Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:16 pm

Do you let it run for at least until the end of the warm up cycle? Aka cold start. Like how is it after 5 minutes of run time? The reason I ask is that there are two different mapping programs, one for warm up and one for run. Also I would put the original ignition wire and mag setup to eliminate that potential issue.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:42 am

It might be worth it to do a compression test, or at least put a vacuum gauge on it to see how the needle behaves.
If you give it some supplemental fuel (carb spray or propane) in the throttle body, does it smooth out and run perfect? That would help determine if it's a lean running condition. Also, try putting a stethoscope on each injector to see if you can hear them all clicking evenly. Do you have a scanner that reads live data (fuel trim or O2 feedback)? Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
Maybe that cam was bigger than you thought with lots of lope. :jawdrop:

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:17 pm

x2 on the compression test, loss of compression on even one cylinder can cause rough idling/stalling at low rpms.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

TrueCowboy426
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TrueCowboy426 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:27 pm

What does the truck run like off idle? Will it actually rev (I think auto's are limited to 4000 in N and P?) Is there anyway that you can two foot drive it and see if it will actually drive and rev under load? Do you have a heat gun that you can get the temperatures of the exhaust header at each cylinder? If you have one, get a buddy to keep the truck running and see if you can find a cold cylinder(s). I still think it is something electical, and maybe you have coil pack(s) that isn't firing. I chased a bad coil pack on my hemi swap and the only way I could find it was to find the cold cylinder. Not sure how these motors react with a dead cylinder on fuel injected, but carburated they can be down 1 cyl and you don't even hardly notice till you try to drive. Even down 2 cylinders it would idle at 800rpm relatively smooth.
Other than that, I'm back to saying the cam is out of time. Even 1 tooth off can cause weird crap/ I would try the heat gun and see if you can find a dead cylinder/coil pack first.
Another thing to try, is pull the vacuum line off the booster and see if it will stay running. My thinking on this is if the tune is way off (no way it should be) or the front O2's went bad (again no way they should have) the extra air will lean it out and maybe stay running. Pulling from my carb issues learning now lol.

Sorry for all the questions just having verbal diarhea going thru how I would diagnose it.
2007 Dodge Power Wagon - Inferno Red Quad Cab, G56, KRC 210X cam, SRT8 JGC seats, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Offroad lights behind the grill, Warn wireless winch remote, Carli front Diff Guard, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, On board air complete w/ train horns, homemade hidden gooseneck hitch, Homemade locker bypass, upgraded Mopar steering box, Centerforce clutch
1998 Dodge 2500 Laramie, QCSB 4x4. 24V cummins, completely rebuilt chassis with '01 1500 body installed, full gauges, Edge drag comp box, +150hp injectors, performance 47re built by me, 35" Toyo MTs on 3rd gen wheels.
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7L Bright Silver, HO Cams, 12,000 lbs Winch mounted behind bumper, 4.56's, 2500 factory tow hooks, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Air-Lift Ride Control bags, homemade hidden ball gooseneck hitch.
1987 W100 - carburated 5.7 Hemi/727 combo, 35" Toyo MT's. Ramcharger D44 w/ warn hubs, Warlock seats, 2nd gen center console
1987 Dakota - RCSB, 413 big block, LT headers.
And a few jeeps for good measure.

2010PWERWGN
Model Year: 2010

Post by 2010PWERWGN » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:58 pm

Might check all your pushrods and make sure you didn't have one slip out from under the rocker arm. I've also had one miss the lifter yet look like it was in the hole. The pushrods can be tricky to install even with the special tools to hold them in place. I started rolling the engine over by hand with the valve cover off so I can watch each valve open and close. Also I think even one tooth off on your timing and catastrophic engine damage will occur, so your timing is probably ok.

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks guys. Appreciate the other thoughts here. Have some more things to try this weekend.

On a side note started compression testing but had to stop with cylinder 1 as the tool wouldn't come out of the cylinder.

Turns out the o ring pushed it's way up on the tool. Need to work it out with pliers. Oh the fun.

I will get it fixed.

I did check out all injectors with a stethoscope and they all sound good.

Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:02 pm

Time to get back to basics.

You have already checked / replaced a lot of parts .

Compression test would be good but I would do a couple of easier things first.
Check vacuum.
Check for misfires with scan tool.
Check sensor readings with scan tool....all of them. Is there some data that doesn't make sense?
Is there a missing ground wire somewhere? ABS and brake lights on. Maybe they are a clue ?

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:57 pm

Ok I pulled most of the spark plugs and they looked good. I got to cylinder 6 and there is carbon on the spark plugs.

Thoughts on whether this could be the cause and what may be causing it?

Also pulled off the valve covers on that bank and all of the valves seem to be operating fine.

They all compress and release the same as the engine manually cranks.

Looking at the cylinder with a scope didn't show that it was wet and the plug is definitely carbon not oil.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

jswider
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by jswider » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:06 pm

Maybe the coil pack to #6 isn't working

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Checked the resistance and it seems good but need to check spark.

I am not getting any codes or misfires. Need to test the compression on that cylinder but it will be about a week and a half because of travel.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:09 pm

On my 88' Ford Ranger, I replaced the coil with a new Accel unit. Supposed to give much more spark. Truck failed in a week. Bad coil. Replaced with another new Accel coil. Failed in a week. Bought a Ford coil, no more problems. Lasted another 150k. What are the chances of getting 2 faulty coils ???

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:22 pm

My guess on the plug is no compression or no spark.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:20 pm

:popcorn:

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:18 pm

Like I said earlier, put the original coil packs on and go from there. At least you know that set was running fine. I know it's a bitch but you want to be 100% it's not the ignition system.

I myself don't like changing a lot of components at once. I like to change one thing the try it out. This way I can be sure what's going on or in this case what's not working instead of guessing what failed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:27 pm

She Breathes!

After going back to basics and deciding to check everything again I came across my rough idle issue.

When I reassembled the heads I apparently didn't seat the pushrod on cylinder 3's intake valve correctly and it wasn't opening the valve.

Put it all back together and now my truck is running. Of course life isn't that simple.

In drive it is running rough under load however I have narrowed that down to what I think is an oxygen sensor or catalytic converter problem.

Going to hopefully get that done next week and should be good to go.

I know I had checked all of the valves before I put it back together but feel a bit dumb that I didn't look at that sooner.

Oh well it is all learning. And damn have I learned a lot.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Hell of a learning curve. :lol:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:24 pm

Hahahahahahaha. Yup. I never do things the easy way Russ. You know this.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

Mr.Smith
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Mr.Smith » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:13 pm

Hell yeah! Good job figuring this one out Sir!

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:17 pm

pdavey wrote:Hahahahahahaha. Yup. I never do things the easy way Russ. You know this.

Ain't that the truth. :lol: Like changing a flat tire, that's sitting on a tree stump, facing down hill, in the rain. :shock: :rofl:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:35 am

If there was a crowning achievement I am pretty sure that takes the cake. Thanks again Russ and Mike for that assist.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:43 pm

pdavey wrote:If there was a crowning achievement I am pretty sure that takes the cake. Thanks again Russ and Mike for that assist.

:rofl:
:winchmob:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:16 pm

She lives. The Power Wagon is working 100% now. I love the extra HP and torque.

The final problem was a problem I created after fixing the pushrod. When I put the valve cover back on I accidently switched the 5 & 7 cylinder ignition wires.

I spent the day tracing everything and found it.

Now it runs like it should.

I bought some magnaflow downpipes and cats so having those put on with new oxygen sensors. Will have the truck back tomorrow and likely retire the Challenger for the winter.

Thanks all for the support and help here. I learned a hell of a lot and am very happy to have accomplished all this.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:21 pm

Awesome bud!!! Happy to hear that it was simple and now you can enjoy your truck once again.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:25 pm

Atta' boy Peter , job well done . :cheers:
2005 Power Wagon