Head Gasket

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Head Gasket

Post by pdavey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:55 am

So I am 99.9% sure I have a small leak in my head gasket near cylinder 8. Thinking of doing the work myself and just get the kit with the new valves, gaskets, etc and btw why not upgrade the exhaust headers while at it.

Any tips or tricks folks have would be appreciated as this is the first time I will have done this type of engine work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2005 Dodge Power Wagon QC Black - "Laramie"
Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Kenwood KVT-719 w/ Garmin Navigation and Kenwood Rear Camera, JL Stealth Sub
Suspension/Protection Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Re: Head Gasket

Post by Pit Slave » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:50 pm

I have a head gasket leak near the rear passenger side on the block for, I want to say, 60k miles or more now. I just keep the coolant and oil topped off when I get the chance. Still do sustained 4~5k RPM's on the block as well as WOT's on the limiter. So unless it's really leaving a puddle on the ground, for me I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:10 am

Guess folks were just waiting me to tear it down, so here are a few pics.

Biggest learning from the day: loosen the engine mount on the passenger side and just jack the engine up so you can get to the exhaust manifold bolts. Just impossible to do it any other way.

Heads are off to Napa tomorrow to clean and make sure they are good.

Need to order some more parts now. First a beer, shower and sleep. Image

Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Could you tell where you had the leak at? Good time to go with an ARP stud kit, and some black wrinkle valve covers.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:10 pm

Yeah. Definitely in the back part of the engine. Had a cracked manifold stud that I think was causing the issue.

Will be good to get all the seals replaced as well.

I got the JBA Shorty exhaust headers so that will be good.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:42 pm

How do you clean out the cylinders before reassembly?

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:59 pm

A lot of time and a good solvent that cleans up carbon. I have a Mopar solvent I am going to start with. Going to do it one by one and turn the crankshaft to get the pistons up and down and check the cylinders.

From my check yesterday the cylinders looked pretty good.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:03 pm

oh, I couldn't resist to work the heads and change the cam at this point.... :D
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:02 pm

There we go with the Winch Mob spending my money again.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:40 pm

From a practical point, it beats doing the labor twice. Your already there. :run:

Mr.Smith
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Mr.Smith » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Doooo iiit...do it...doo it!

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:29 pm

I was thinking forged pistons in preparation for the supercharger

But seriously, will NAPA be doing anything with the valve seats, new springs and valves, etc? This seems to be a weak spot, and since you have it apart, blah blah blah.

But seriously, the supercharger doesn't sound like a bad idea...
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:16 pm

Just having NAPA clean and check it out right now. Want to make sure it is straight and not warped. It didn't appear to have any broken springs and valves weren't terrible.

Think I would go with the 6.4 before a supercharger Mike, however you all did get me thinking about a new cam.

If one were to go that direction what do you think I should do? I was checking these two out.

http://www.shophemi.com/c-1248-cam-and- ... tions.aspx

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:18 pm

I suggest replacing that one injector on that cylinder. It may or may not be a future problem. But the diesel guys tend to have injector problems after fixing a small head gasket leak.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:26 pm

Arrington makes good stuff, there are a decent number of options out there now though. I'm personally going with a head and cam package from inertia motor sports in the near future.

http://www.shop.inertiamotorsports.com/main.sc
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

TrueCowboy426
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TrueCowboy426 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:06 pm

Looking good, and don't fear the cam lol, I don't ever regret mine. Cam swaps are easy even after you get the motor back together (I've got it down to well under 4 hrs pretty easily). I'm no expert on cam specs, but those 2 cams look like they would be more for peak power and not the low end torque that we need, and what you would actually use. I would give Comp a call and get them to grind a cam to specs you want (I personally like my KRC 210X, very good low end torque, or a Comp 260 etc). Couple years ago it would only cost approx $400 to grind one vs 750+ for Arrinton's stuff.

Couple things I would definatly do before you reassemble is put in new lifters, and upgrade your valve springs to 6.1L spings. Even though your stockers are okay, the 6.1 springs are cheap insurance for a lot more miles of driving, and if you do decide to cam in the future, the springs are way easier to change now with the heads off than on.

Unless you have already wiped off #8 piston, it does look like you had a coolant leak there with the piston being that clean.

Good job so far. Makes me want to rebuild one of my spare hemi's now.
2007 Dodge Power Wagon - Inferno Red Quad Cab, G56, KRC 210X cam, SRT8 JGC seats, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Offroad lights behind the grill, Warn wireless winch remote, Carli front Diff Guard, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, On board air complete w/ train horns, homemade hidden gooseneck hitch, Homemade locker bypass, upgraded Mopar steering box, Centerforce clutch
1998 Dodge 2500 Laramie, QCSB 4x4. 24V cummins, completely rebuilt chassis with '01 1500 body installed, full gauges, Edge drag comp box, +150hp injectors, performance 47re built by me, 35" Toyo MTs on 3rd gen wheels.
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7L Bright Silver, HO Cams, 12,000 lbs Winch mounted behind bumper, 4.56's, 2500 factory tow hooks, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Air-Lift Ride Control bags, homemade hidden ball gooseneck hitch.
1987 W100 - carburated 5.7 Hemi/727 combo, 35" Toyo MT's. Ramcharger D44 w/ warn hubs, Warlock seats, 2nd gen center console
1987 Dakota - RCSB, 413 big block, LT headers.
And a few jeeps for good measure.

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:35 am

Ok so my assessment of the cam market is there are too many options. Probably need to call a few places and discuss.

In reading Coders thread on the valve seat now I am slightly worried about something like that.

Is it worth just redoing my heads? Sounds like I need to upgrade my springs if I move to a different cam anyways.

Appreciate the help here.

Last edited by pdavey on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:09 am

Truecowboy is absolutely right about the 6.1 springs and new lifters and I'll add to that you will want new pushrods as well which will be to prevent deflection from the higher spring pressure and more aggressive cam lobe/lift height. Getting your heads gone over is a very good idea, you don't want to drop a valve seat after all this. It's cheap insurance. Absolutely talk to whoever you're sourcing the cam etc through and put together a package that meets your goals. I want high end because I tear ass around but the average wagon owner will want low end grunt and fat midrange torque. Inertia motor sports actually talked me out of a few thousand dollars of extra crap I wanted to buy from them after discussing what my goals were, that's pretty rare these days lol. Talk to some people who do this stuff everyday. Good luck sir, I hope you get things running soon!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:14 pm

pdavey wrote:Is it worth just redoing my heads?
How many miles do you have on your engine? If they are relatively low and everything else is running good, I would say yes, redo the heads since that's where most of the Hemi's trouble areas seem to be. If you are much over 150k miles you might be better off pulling the engine and doing a full rebuild.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:29 pm

At 197,000. Ultimately other than the small head gasket leak everything is running well.

Pistons and cylinders look good. No signs of wear on either.

Likely will redo the heads. Think I have been talked into a cam swap which means new springs, valves, pushrods etc.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:32 pm

pdavey wrote: Think I have been talked into a cam swap which means new springs, valves, pushrods etc.
:cash: :cash: :cash:
The :winchmob: strikes again... :lol:
2005 Power Wagon

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:01 pm

#FingWinchMob #LoveYouMeanIt

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods:

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:28 pm

Haha! #Rightbackatcha
You really should do the springs whether you do a cam or not. They are a weak point. I've read many threads, posts, etc about broken springs. Now is definitely the time to do it. It's not impossible with the heads on the block, but why make it harder on yourself.
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:12 pm

I'll be honest, if you are going through all the trouble of doing the top half, you may as well pull the block and have it freshened up at the least. Have it all looked over and if needed, put all new bearings put in. You will not be able to see the side of the piston to check if there are any issues with it while it is in the block. But if it were me, I would have pulled the block and rebuilt the engine the way I wanted with performance in mind.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Got the heads back from NAPA today. They said the one was warped right next to where the broken exhaust manifold was and more likely then not, that caused the problem over the winter from rapid expansion and contraction of the aluminum head.

They cleaned both heads and pressure tested them. Found nothing wrong with the springs, valves and no cracks.

They resurfaced the heads and they are now straight.

Definitely going to order the cam. Talked with Arrington today and they recommend the Comp 260 and am also waiting to hear from Moe's.

Arrington said Cam, Lifters and a tune for about $1000. Moe's seems to have the cam for cheaper so need to see if they can do the tune as well.

Pit Slave, half tempted on pulling the block but there have been no signs of other damage. Pistons look good, the walls have no issues. My oil was not impacted with the slight head leak so I am in a bit of a debate whether to go through the extra effort.

If I pull the cam and it is in bad shape or the lifters, I will definitely pull the block. Otherwise I think I am tempted to reassemble later next week.

Appreciate all the comments and support here. It has been a great learning experience.

Performance Mods:
Other Mods:
Style/Other Mods: