MOAB 2017 - May 1-7

Wheeling trips, camping trips, meet-ups, a night out boozing, etc.
OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

MOAB 2017 - May 1-7

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:35 pm

10th Annual Power Wagons in Moab 2017

DATES: May 1,2017 to May 7, 2017
WHERE: Moab, Utah
OFFICAL SITE: https://powerwagonsinmoab.com

Join us the first week of May for the 10th Annual Power Wagons in Moab. Whether your truck is stock or modified, there will be something for everyone. Take in the sights, make new friends and hit the trails to test your skills.

Main IG account for the event:
https://www.instagram.com/offroadpowerwagon/

Hashtag for the event:
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/apwim2017/

Facebook Page for the event
https://www.facebook.com/pg/pwinmoab/

Event Details

-------------------------------
ACCOMMODATIONS

Hotels:
Sleep Inn, Quality Suites are the closet hotels to the daily rally point with decent prices. Big Horn Lodge is one of cheapest hotels in town but is located more centrally in Moab. Ne sure to make reservations sooner than later.

Camping:

There will be a group camping at Yellow Circle Road: 38.426606, -109.420002 Straight boondocking. No hookups, no water, notta. Pack it in, pack it out.

VEHICLE:
- Make sure your 4x4 is in good working order.
- Extra fuel - I recommend 2-5 gallons
- Good Set of AT or better tires on your vehicle.
- Spare tire, full size mandatory. At least 1.
- Air Pump for airing back up
- Tire deflators for airing down (I have these: http://amzn.to/2iGoDzz )
- Frame Sliders recommend but not required
- Tools for recovery. IE: straps, shackles, gloves, shovel, etc
- Basic hand tools for fixing broken shit
- Duck Tape, because duh.

There are LOTS of climbs. Trails are mixed; dirt and small rocks, Sand, Washboard roads etc... So be prepared. Don’t just count on someone else in the group being prepared.

COMMS:

* thanks to @aearles for compiling this information

We didn't have comms last year, but this year it's a requirement. We are using comms to keep things organized on the trail.

Official trail communications will be on GMRS/FRS shared channels. We believe this will be the easiest for most people to obtain, should perform better than CB, and doesn't require testing like ham. If you have a GMRS license, you can use a Midland MXT-105 mobile radio, or BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio handheld. I suggest using an external antenna if possible to improve range. You can obtain a GMRS license for $65 here:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home

If you do not want to get GMRS license/hardware, you can use FRS walkies on these same channels, you can get these for ~$30 at Walmart or Amazon. The range will be limited but should be acceptable with the size of our group and the speeds we'll be traveling. I highly recommend that you at least bring a walky to use, it will improve everyone's experience.

For those running Baofeng Handhelds, @aearles put together a small config with all of the relevant channels. You can use CHIRP to flash this image to your device.

Ham Baofeng Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5m1v3kkfbm5w ... m.img?dl=0

Non-Ham Baofeng Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sivjcmir7v89n ... S.img?dl=0

Download CHIRP Here: http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

Baofeng Programming Cable: http://amzn.to/2eTXMhe

The config contains the following memory slots:

1-3 FRS Primary, Secondary, and Backup. We will only change from primary if there is interference on the channel. If others are using our frequency it's best to just move to the next.

11-14 Common Ham Simplex Channels for monitoring. 13 is the assigned simplex frequency for Hams in our group. TX is disabled in the non-ham configuration.

21-25 Ham repeaters accessible in the area. TX is disabled on the non-ham configuration.

41-50 Weather channels, these are set to skip when scanning but are programmed in case you need to check weather forcast/conditions.

Those of us with Ham Radio licenses will plan to use 146.400 for simplex. This will allow us to communicate over greater distances than FRS/GMRS and we can relay to those nearby as needed. There's good repeater details in the first post as well, this should be helpful for reaching town or other hams without cell service.

If you're not licensed but are interested in improving your mobile communications, it's very easy to get licensed and has a lot of advantages. The test is very easy to pass, costs $0-$15 depending on the testing center, and licenses are issued within about one week. I can help you get started if you're interested, PM @aearles.

NAVIGATION:
Each vehicle should have navigation of some type, be it paper maps or digital. I strongly encourage everyone to get a copy of
Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails. We will make use of this book during the trip and it will help you identify whats ahead on the trails we do.

You can get it here on Amazon:http://amzn.to/2i9qsYB

FIRST AID: Bring any special meds you need. Bring some general comfort items and SPF 30+ sunscreen. First aid is essential traveling in the back country. Don't rely on others.

Something as simple as an Adventure Medical Kit should suffice: http://amzn.to/2ifD12P and is good to have on hand in your vehicle anyways.

SURVIVAL:
BRING WATER, everyone should have 1-2 gallons of water per day, per person in your vehicle. It’s the desert, and it’s hot. Don’t be stupid.

We are usually be on the trails for most of the whole day if not longer, so pack accordingly. Bring a cooler, bring snacks, sandwiches, whatever.

Don’t forget your camera! ;)

PARTICIPANTS:

Just reply that you are confirmed and I can add you. I want to gather our contact details so no one gets left out or missed when they arrive.
  • MikeKey
  • gtomike60
  • Allen8511
  • DamageWagon
  • 2011bigred
  • reivaxram97
  • Mr Crit
  • aearles
  • awdanthony
  • nebmike
  • n/a (facebook) Chris Sisseck
  • Jeff50316
  • Pit Slave
  • n/a (facebook) Xavier Richardson
  • RAM4ROKS
  • Chris-CA
  • Bosswagon13
  • n/a (facebook) Kish Ramirez
  • StormRider
  • n/a (facebook) Nicholas Baker
  • MADMIKE87
  • Yellowranger1
  • Frq flyr
:winchmob:
Last edited by OffroadTreks on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 32 times in total.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: MOAB 2017

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:03 pm

If I wasn't in the 49th state I'd be there. It will probably be a couple years, but look for me to show up to one of these eventually!
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

gtomike60
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by gtomike60 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:27 am

Same time works for me...I'm in!
,MYoung locker bypass,Dynatrac bjs,Dynatrac no-spin kit w/Dynaloc hubs,Thuren 3" coils,trackbar,shackles and Kings(3"F-2.5"R) shocks,Thuren Alien arms,Thuren/King steering stabilizer,Carli diff guard,White Knuckle sliders,Thuren bumper,37" Cooper STT Pros,Corsa exhaust

BlkWgn
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BlkWgn » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:21 pm

I try every year and have yet to make it, but will keep an eye on this

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
My new photography site - BlkWgn Photography http://blkwgn.smugmug.com

2006 Dodge Power Wagon production number 44 - Mercenary Offroad Prototype Bumper - Toyo 35 MT - Caril Springs - Carli Track Bar - Thuren Overland Shocks - Carli Front Diff Guard - RockCrusher Rear Diff Guard - Airflow Snorkel - Locker Bypass - Leer shell w/Roof Rack and 125w Solar Panel - and an empty wallet
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro (For Sale)

Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer[/color]

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/sh ... agon-Build

American Adventurist - http://www.americanadventurist.com

Jeff50316
Model Year: 2014

Post by Jeff50316 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:28 pm

I'll be there. Those dates would work for me.
16' Delmoico Red wagon "mods AEM dry air filter, DeeZee tail gate shock, Weather Tech window vents, Flowmaster exhaust, Ruff Country XHD recovery kit, Front window tint, WK Sliders, truexx leaving kit (on order)

Up next diff covers, 4.88 or 5.18 gears, 37in or 35in tires

black_hawk8888
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by black_hawk8888 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:31 pm

I would like to make it for 2017!
2015 Power Wagon SLT
Stickers removed, Dual Alternators, Thuren PW coils and sway bar with Overland shocks, Magnaflow muffler, resonator deleted, tow mirrors, AMP Powersteps, Carli front diff guard, Husky X-Act mats, spray in bed liner, Undercover tonneau cover

RamGentry
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by RamGentry » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:34 pm

I want in so badly...if I'm not deployed by then or at training i'll be there.
If I start listing Mods I would have to change the list daily
My build thread http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=3593

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:19 pm

We'll do an official confirmation sign up in January, and I'll have an itinerary with something for everyone. Probably going to hit up Moab again myself this fall when it cools down a bit more, and do some more research.

In my hometown I used to run the local Camaro & Firebird (F-body) club and have some experience organizing rallies and shows and such.

So let's get excited about this!
-------
------

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:34 pm

Let me know when in fall you plan on going might want to meet up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

Jeff50316

Post by Jeff50316 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:34 pm

Yeah I got a week vacation the last week of October so if you go out around then I would make the drive there. I'm coming from central Iowa.
16' Delmoico Red wagon "mods AEM dry air filter, DeeZee tail gate shock, Weather Tech window vents, Flowmaster exhaust, Ruff Country XHD recovery kit, Front window tint, WK Sliders, truexx leaving kit (on order)

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:24 pm

End of October sounds like a good time for an exploratory trip. We'll be finishing up closing on a house in Sept. Could be a nice break from all the hustle of purchasing our first investment property. :rockon:
-------
------

Jeff50316

Post by Jeff50316 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:41 pm

Well I just double checked on my vacation. I'm off work from oct 21 till November 1. So I could be out there sat the 22 till Tuesday the 25 or I could get out there Friday the 28 and stay till Monday. I'm good with either. Would love it if you guys could make it since I've never been there :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

black_hawk8888
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by black_hawk8888 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:00 pm

I might be interested in a Moab run the last week of October as well.
2015 Power Wagon SLT
Stickers removed, Dual Alternators, Thuren PW coils and sway bar with Overland shocks, Magnaflow muffler, resonator deleted, tow mirrors, AMP Powersteps, Carli front diff guard, Husky X-Act mats, spray in bed liner, Undercover tonneau cover

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:54 am

I got it on my calendar!!!!!! I will make this trip in 2017!!!!! Count me in !!!!!

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:46 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:07 pm

I took off Oct 24-28th. We are actually planning to go to Glacier NP.

However, it might just be too damn cold. In which case, we'll be in Moab that week instead. If we change plans, I'll post up.
-------
------

Jmarklowitz
Model Year: 2016

Post by Jmarklowitz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Subscribed! I am very interested but not sure if the dates work. I will watch the thread and as we get closer, I will jump in if I'm able. I also see the Overland Expo is the following weekend in Flag Staff (May 12th-14th). Man, if I could get two weeks off in a row! :idea: That's would be AWESOME!
2016 Laramie PW

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:48 pm

Maybe a bit of a silly question but, what are accommodation plans? Like day wheeling trips and returning to hotel for the night? Trying to convince my wife on this for a big trip for us but, if it involves primitive camping on the trail, I know that'll be a solid no go! She's not one much for wheeling anyway but I am hoping the amazing scenery will make up for that! (gotta get her on board so I can go!)

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:00 pm

Wife and me are planning on going out next year. Years past. We stayed at one of the hotels in town. That's what we are planning for next year too. Wheeled during the day, and partied at night. Have a picture some where of Pitslave passed out, and curled up like a baby in Leif's condo. :rofl:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:27 am

I would love to, but we are actually planning a 2-4 month open ended trip starting the week after Christmas :delicious: when we actually start working like normal people again, we are planning on a week trip to Colorado in June or August to do the Alpine Loop and a few other trails. Something closer to those times would be more reasonable to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtomike60
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by gtomike60 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:31 am

RAM4ROKS wrote:Maybe a bit of a silly question but, what are accommodation plans? Like day wheeling trips and returning to hotel for the night? Trying to convince my wife on this for a big trip for us but, if it involves primitive camping on the trail, I know that'll be a solid no go! She's not one much for wheeling anyway but I am hoping the amazing scenery will make up for that! (gotta get her on board so I can go!)
Mike Key had his Airstream,so,he and his family stayed at a campground.
A couple of us were staying in hotels,and one couple slept in the bed of their truck under the stars.
But we're back in town every night.

I'm trying to get my wife to go as well,but she's a city girl.lol
I'll still be going,either by myself,or with one of my friends
,MYoung locker bypass,Dynatrac bjs,Dynatrac no-spin kit w/Dynaloc hubs,Thuren 3" coils,trackbar,shackles and Kings(3"F-2.5"R) shocks,Thuren Alien arms,Thuren/King steering stabilizer,Carli diff guard,White Knuckle sliders,Thuren bumper,37" Cooper STT Pros,Corsa exhaust

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:35 pm

Yea - I think hotel stay will be best. I was going to start working out details. A few guys who have been there might want to suggest hotels. I think an over night camp trip would be sweet, but with kiddo's it's tough. We'll probably bring the Airstream again and camp ourselves.

What I want though, is an itinerary, and a rally point. I have a few easy gives, like we should most def have a group cookout, one big group breakfast and a group dinner out. Wheeling during the day, start easy, work way up. Hit up all the places/trails that are the most fun but also provide the best photo ops. As much as we all like to wheel, a place like Moab is a place you like sharing photos off. There will be something for everyone.

We didn't do the White Rim Trail as a group last year, but it's really easy. I had a friend who wrote up this itinerary to get his "high fashion city wife" into it and he started with easy stuff and worked her into it over a couple of days. But I was thinking, maybe the White Rim Trail and a tailgate party would be a good introduction day. It's mostly dirt road with amazing views of Canyonlands driving along a Canyon Rim.

We're mostly settled down in Boise, ID now in the new place and I'm getting more free time to start putting something together. Part of the reason I haven't been around the site for the past month is dealing with the move from Airstream life to sticks and bricks. :cheers:
-------
------

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:39 pm

What we used to do is on Saturday was the scenic trail ride, and Sunday was the tech trail ride. Both days, stop on the trail for a group lunch. Would meet in the morning for breakfast. Most times at Denny's. After the trail ride. Meet over at the condo's where some was staying and have a cook out. Bring your own meat, and share the veggies.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:49 pm

How much does it cost to ship a truck from Ohio to Moab and back? :lol:

I can't stand driving that long any more. Getting old.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

gtomike60
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by gtomike60 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:26 pm

waldo wrote:How much does it cost to ship a truck from Ohio to Moab and back? :lol:

I can't stand driving that long any more. Getting old.
You're halfway there...I drive from Boston,Mass.
32 hours each way,non stop.2 drivers.
Pitslave came from Jersey by himself.
You can do it!