Those in the Snow Belt with MT tires, got some questions

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
08TwinStickPW
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Those in the Snow Belt with MT tires, got some questions

Post by 08TwinStickPW » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:48 am

**I know MT based tires are not as good as most AT's on ice/packed snow due to the lack of Sipes** :D

That being said, I think on a truck like my PW it is necessary to have some aggressive looking tires to match the capabilities and look of the truck.

I don't off-road the truck much, never really had issues with the Stock AT's other that needing some extra pedal to clear them out in mild trail mud, and not so good snow performance (very noisy too).

It might just be the truck and how its geared, but it is very easy to light up all 4 tires in light snow snow with minimal effort, and I almost got stuck in about 6-8" of snow due to the tires not cleaning out because wheel hop made it hard to spin them to clear them.

For me, its more esthetics for now and long term plans, I really am looking to make the PW a little more all around recovery vehicle over time, that means to me I should look into a tire that allows the truck to be a bit more capable in the mud and snow.

I am liking the new hybrid AT/MT tires out there (Duratrac, ST/MAXX, Etc...) but I hear they wear fast/sway a bit in the turns.

I keep coming back to Cooper stt's and Toyo MT's most likely in the 295-70 or 285-75 flavor to still be able to tuck them w/o ANY rubbing and keep weight down (keeping the suspension stock for a bit, only has 20K).

So the main question, anyone that has run MT's on the road in the snow months have and feedback/input of how the truck performs and such.

Thanks
08' Dodge RAM PowerWagon (Laramie, 6 Speed)
GO: Diablo tuned, AEM drop in, Magnaflow "Y" and 24" muffler (dumper over the axle)
Traction/Suspension:305-70-17 Toyo AT2's, DT Profab Steering Brace, Carli front diff guard.
See: Silver stars headlights, 9012 fogs, reprogrammed for fogs with high beams, (2)6" KC LED gravity in driving/spread behind the grill
Tunes:Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS w/stock infinity amp, Infinity ref. dash/reardoor speakers, kappa component front door, JL rear stealth box and JX500.1d.
Other: Dually marker light under the tailgate, 2013+ Red hemi badges, Bedtred bedliner and mopar rubber mat, Wheel well liners, rubber flaps, Bakflip MX4, W2W Mopar steps (bedlined black), weathertech front mats and rain deflectors.

Cactus Red

Re: Those in the Snow Belt with MT tires, got some questions

Post by Cactus Red » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Yeah, I know, but indeed we do get snow in AZ. Lots of it at times, and it usually starts with freezing rain, so ice is common here too.

You can have the center lugs siped on an MT to give it good grip on ice. Leave the outer lugs intact for the hard work, and you get the best of both worlds.

That said, I don't bother with it, I just air down if it's icy, and the truck does OK.
I'm just along for the ride...

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:05 pm

The new Toyo Open Country A/T II looks like one heck of a tire. I'm already planning on buying these when my stock tires die.

http://toyotires.com/tires/pattern/open ... rain-tires
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

MSparks909
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MSparks909 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Toyo makes some kickass tires. If their 37's were 12.5" instead of 13.5" I'd probably be going with those over the STT's.
2006 QC PW G56

Suspension: 3" Thuren Diesel coils, Carli Progressive leaf springs, Thuren DYSKO bumpstops, Thuren control arms, Thuren tracbar, Thuren draglink, King 2.5" remote reservoir front shocks/2.5" King DBL bypass rear shocks, limit straps, factory swaybar end links extended 2",

Engine/Drivetrain: Airaid full intake, Airflow snorkel, Magnaflow y-pipe, 3" Flowmaster Super 44, Jet 180 t-stat, locker bypass. Carli balljoints. greasable front u-joints, Gorilla Juice in the G56, Royal Purple 75W-140 in the diffs, Shell Rotella 5W-40 in the engine w/ oversize K&N filter.

Body/Appearance: Go Recon super white cab lights, Retro Solutions 55W 6000K HID kit for headlights/fogs and projector retro'd headlight, Carli front diff guard, Rockcrusher rear diff guard, lots of pinstriping & some dents

Interior: 12" JL Audio sub in custom box w/ adjustable bass knob and 500W JL Audio amplifier, headrest gun sling, CB radio

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:45 pm

04Ram2500Hemi wrote:The new Toyo Open Country A/T II looks like one heck of a tire. I'm already planning on buying these when my stock tires die.

Nice Raptor in the video too. :roll: They do look nice. Wonder how they are for storing gravel for later use on the highway.
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:49 pm

GunniPWguy wrote:
04Ram2500Hemi wrote:The new Toyo Open Country A/T II looks like one heck of a tire. I'm already planning on buying these when my stock tires die.

Nice Raptor in the video too. :roll: They do look nice. Wonder how they are for storing gravel for later use on the highway.
LOL- I never even saw there was a video. That being said, most A/T tires are pretty good for storing gravel for highway use later. That's one of the reason my rocker pannel's are sprayed with Line-X. I travel too many dirt roads during hunting season so having the rockers coated is a must.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

08TwinStickPW
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by 08TwinStickPW » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:22 pm

Lol, yeah, forgot to mention the damn rocks...

Even with mudflaps and W2W steps the paint is taking a beating.

I would also like to reduce the rock throwing lol.
GO: Diablo tuned, AEM drop in, Magnaflow "Y" and 24" muffler (dumper over the axle)
Traction/Suspension:305-70-17 Toyo AT2's, DT Profab Steering Brace, Carli front diff guard.
See: Silver stars headlights, 9012 fogs, reprogrammed for fogs with high beams, (2)6" KC LED gravity in driving/spread behind the grill
Tunes:Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS w/stock infinity amp, Infinity ref. dash/reardoor speakers, kappa component front door, JL rear stealth box and JX500.1d.
Other: Dually marker light under the tailgate, 2013+ Red hemi badges, Bedtred bedliner and mopar rubber mat, Wheel well liners, rubber flaps, Bakflip MX4, W2W Mopar steps (bedlined black), weathertech front mats and rain deflectors.

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Cactus Red wrote:You can have the center lugs siped on an MT to give it good grip on ice. Leave the outer lugs intact for the hard work, and you get the best of both worlds.
That's exactly what I did with my 285/75R17 BF Goodrich M/T KM2 tires. What little snow we got last year (which was very unusual) they did very well. Hopefully this Winter will actually be a Winter and I'll get to see how they really perform. Traction in the rain is very good too, with the center lugs being siped.

If I was looking for a hybrid AT/MT tire, I would definitely get the Goodyear DuraTrac tires. I had those on my Titan when I sold it to get the Power Wagon and they were an EXCELLENT tire. I didn't feel any of the "spongy" feeling that people claim to have with the tire. You drive a 6,500+ pound truck, with big tires and you expect it to handle like a sports car? :lol: If I jump up to 35" tires in the future, I think I'll be putting the DuraTracs back on the truck.
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

Throttle 8
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Throttle 8 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:08 am

I have a set of studded Duratracs in 315/70/17 that I use in the winter. They are awesome in the winter---especially if you have them studded. The sidewall on them is very soft in my opinion, and I do find them squishy handeling compared to my Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's that I use in the summer.
2007PW, black, quad cab, G56 6spd, heated leather, sunroof, dual zone climate, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (315/70/17), Locker Bypass, TPS Bypass, Lund tonneau, Maple Offroad sliders, wheel wheel liners, K&N filter, bedliner, PIAA headlights, PIAA foglights, 24" LED lightbar behind grill, Carli Diff guard, Dodge Off Road steering brace, Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli Trac Bar, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Carli ball joints, updated "T" style linkage, Odyssy battery, recovery gear, Studded Goodyear Duratrack 315/70/17 for winter

MY OTHER VEHICLE IS A LOCOMOTIVE

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:08 pm

I have to agree on the Duratracs for winter. I also had them on my Titan prior to getting the PW and for a fairly aggressive tire they were decent on ice and GREAT in deep snow.
Loving my 3/4 ton version of my old Jeep TJ!!!!!

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:13 pm

I should also add that right now I have the Goodyear Wrangler Territory (exclusive to Canadian Tire and I am told have are built with some similarities to the Duratracs) and they are pretty good in snow and ice so far.

TrueCowboy426
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TrueCowboy426 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:52 pm

I can only speak with regards to KM2's and Toyo MT's 35x12.50.

Deep snow, I would say they are about the same for offroad performance. I would even give the nod to the BFG's as they are a little narrrower and cut thru better.

On-road performance with light snow and slippery conditions, Toyos hands down. They come with light siping in the center of the lug where BFG's do not. I have been scared by how slick the BFG's were on questionable conditions, where I have always felt sure footed on the Toyo's. Again due to the width the Toyo's do like to float a little more in heavy slush, but with the siping it is always predictable. I do a lot of driving (600+miles a week) and I run the Toyo's year round, and won't ever go to do a different MT again.

**Edit** For the Ontario fella's here that know the area I drive from Woodstock to Stratford everyday, and go to my farm near Owen Sound every weekned, so I travel and live in a bad snow flurry region. I've seen my share of pretty bad roads, and venture down as many no winter maintenance roads as I can!
2007 Dodge Power Wagon - Inferno Red Quad Cab, G56, KRC 210X cam, SRT8 JGC seats, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Offroad lights behind the grill, Warn wireless winch remote, Carli front Diff Guard, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, On board air complete w/ train horns, homemade hidden gooseneck hitch, Homemade locker bypass, upgraded Mopar steering box, Centerforce clutch
1998 Dodge 2500 Laramie, QCSB 4x4. 24V cummins, completely rebuilt chassis with '01 1500 body installed, full gauges, Edge drag comp box, +150hp injectors, performance 47re built by me, 35" Toyo MTs on 3rd gen wheels.
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7L Bright Silver, HO Cams, 12,000 lbs Winch mounted behind bumper, 4.56's, 2500 factory tow hooks, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Air-Lift Ride Control bags, homemade hidden ball gooseneck hitch.
1987 W100 - carburated 5.7 Hemi/727 combo, 35" Toyo MT's. Ramcharger D44 w/ warn hubs, Warlock seats, 2nd gen center console
1987 Dakota - RCSB, 413 big block, LT headers.
And a few jeeps for good measure.

MSparks909
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MSparks909 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:22 pm

TrueCowboy426 wrote:...I do a lot of driving (600+miles a week)...
Damn that's a lot of driving...especially in a PW! Surprised you don't have a Cummins 2500/3500 for as much driving/towing that you do. I thought I drove a decent amount and I have 85K on an 06.
2006 QC PW G56

Suspension: 3" Thuren Diesel coils, Carli Progressive leaf springs, Thuren DYSKO bumpstops, Thuren control arms, Thuren tracbar, Thuren draglink, King 2.5" remote reservoir front shocks/2.5" King DBL bypass rear shocks, limit straps, factory swaybar end links extended 2",

Engine/Drivetrain: Airaid full intake, Airflow snorkel, Magnaflow y-pipe, 3" Flowmaster Super 44, Jet 180 t-stat, locker bypass. Carli balljoints. greasable front u-joints, Gorilla Juice in the G56, Royal Purple 75W-140 in the diffs, Shell Rotella 5W-40 in the engine w/ oversize K&N filter.

Body/Appearance: Go Recon super white cab lights, Retro Solutions 55W 6000K HID kit for headlights/fogs and projector retro'd headlight, Carli front diff guard, Rockcrusher rear diff guard, lots of pinstriping & some dents

Interior: 12" JL Audio sub in custom box w/ adjustable bass knob and 500W JL Audio amplifier, headrest gun sling, CB radio

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:41 am

My Cooper STT's work excellent in the snow & ice of Buffalo.

TrueCowboy426
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TrueCowboy426 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:53 pm

MSparks909 wrote:
TrueCowboy426 wrote:...I do a lot of driving (600+miles a week)...
Damn that's a lot of driving...especially in a PW! Surprised you don't have a Cummins 2500/3500 for as much driving/towing that you do. I thought I drove a decent amount and I have 85K on an 06.
I know. I put thru more money on fuel, than a payment would be on a brand new fully loaded 2500 diesel. In all honesty I should get a good used diesel for what I do (I got ~150 head of cattle to truck this weekend), but I just can't let the PW go, and I got an addiction for collecting and building trucks. Plus I'm torn if would get another manual again. I get pretty damn sick of the 6spd at times and do 2nd, 3rd (wind it out) and go straight to 6th.
2007 Dodge Power Wagon - Inferno Red Quad Cab, G56, KRC 210X cam, SRT8 JGC seats, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Offroad lights behind the grill, Warn wireless winch remote, Carli front Diff Guard, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, On board air complete w/ train horns, homemade hidden gooseneck hitch, Homemade locker bypass, upgraded Mopar steering box, Centerforce clutch
1998 Dodge 2500 Laramie, QCSB 4x4. 24V cummins, completely rebuilt chassis with '01 1500 body installed, full gauges, Edge drag comp box, +150hp injectors, performance 47re built by me, 35" Toyo MTs on 3rd gen wheels.
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7L Bright Silver, HO Cams, 12,000 lbs Winch mounted behind bumper, 4.56's, 2500 factory tow hooks, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Air-Lift Ride Control bags, homemade hidden ball gooseneck hitch.
1987 W100 - carburated 5.7 Hemi/727 combo, 35" Toyo MT's. Ramcharger D44 w/ warn hubs, Warlock seats, 2nd gen center console
1987 Dakota - RCSB, 413 big block, LT headers.
And a few jeeps for good measure.

Powerwagonmark
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Powerwagonmark » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:02 pm

I had 35" Mickey thompson Baja Claws and 37" Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar. I liked the Goodyear MTRs better in the snow. They worked really well especially in the deeper snow. The only problem was when it was 1 or 2 inches of snow they were a little loose but in the deep stuff they were great. My dad has the Duratracs on his truck and they work really well but not so good in the rain and again when there is a light layer of snow on the road.
2008 Dodge POWER WAGON
Power Wagon= 12000lb Warn winch, Electronic Disconnecting Swaybar, Front and rear lockers, 4.56 gears

Upgrades= BDS 4" long arm lift, JBA Shorty headers, Custom MBRP Y-Pipe, MBRP Custom exhaust, Stainless Steel front and rear brake lines, Thuren Adjustable track bar with Fox Racing Steering Stabilizer, Thuren/Atlas custom leafs, Thuren 6" Coil Springs, Thuren Adjustable Shackles, Redhead steering box, Carli front diff guard, Airflow Snorkel, Vent Tubes Extended, Custom Rock Rails(made by me), Custom rear tube bumper(made by me), Rockcrusher rear diff guard, Bushwacker pocket flares, Trimmed fenders, DT Profab Steering Box Brace, Borgeson steering shaft, 1 Ton Tranny cooler, Mickey Thompson 17x9 Sidebiter Wheels, Pitbull Rockers 37x12.5x17, Road Armour front bumper trimmed for extra clearance with lightbar and 4 KC lights and 4 Piaa's, Procomp Explorer Lights mounted on backrack, Wireless winch remote, Tints, clear cab lights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, HighLift Jack, Tool box, RBP gas cover(piece of junk). Line-xed from head to toe. More straps, shackles and pulleys than I actually need.

Calvinm119
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Calvinm119 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:19 am

I have and like the Duratracs. They do pretty well overall in the snow and have a good bite thanks to all that siping. I'm in the pacific north west and it rains 5 days a week 9 months out of the year but they do okay on wet roads. They do hum a bit but nothing too bad.
2017 Ram Power Wagon Tradesman:
Mods so far: K&N CAI, Weathertech floor mats, resonator delete, RBP Powder Coated Tip, Dodge Off Road Steering Box Brace

Gone but never forgotten:

2015 Ram 2500 Blue Streak Pearl: Tradesman w/ 6.4L Hemi, Rambox, electronic transfer case, 3.73s, LSD, BLD, Chrome appearance package, tailgate extender.
Mods so far- Mopar clearance Lights, Linex in bed, K&N CAI, Weathertech floor mats

2006 Dodge Ram Power Wagon

08TwinStickPW
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by 08TwinStickPW » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:43 am

Well, looks like I am gonna go for some 295-70-17 Toyo's.

they have a really good rep. online and long life.

I like the coopers a bit more, but I hear they wear REALLY fast, which is not acceptable to me.

Thanks for the input

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Keep us posted on how they do! I will likely be in the market for new tires in the spring and I am also leaning towards either the Toyo MTs or the Cooper STTs if I decide to go with a full mud terrain.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:26 am

08TwinStickPW wrote:Well, looks like I am gonna go for some 295-70-17 Toyo's.

I like the coopers a bit more, but I hear they wear REALLY fast, which is not acceptable to me.

Thanks for the input

JSYK, my Cooper STT's are in their 8th winter. Yup, got them for my 04 2500 QC Hemi/auto in 2005. They are on Atlas alum rims. I had 28,000 on it at trade in & have 29,500 on my 2008 PW. I only put them on for winter/mud/off-roading. The tread wear is at half or a hair less. I have also pulled our camper a few times with them on. They seem to be wearing just fine IMHO.

08TwinStickPW
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by 08TwinStickPW » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:54 am

TwinStick wrote:
08TwinStickPW wrote:Well, looks like I am gonna go for some 295-70-17 Toyo's.

Thanks for the input

JSYK, my Cooper STT's are in their 8th winter. Yup, got them for my 04 2500 QC Hemi/auto in 2005. They are on Atlas alum rims. I had 28,000 on it at trade in & have 29,500 on my 2008 PW. I only put them on for winter/mud/off-roading. The tread wear is at half or a hair less. I have also pulled our camper a few times with them on. They seem to be wearing just fine IMHO.
Thanks for the info on the wear, sadly though the coopers are $100 more a set to my door than the toyo's on tread depot
I want tires really bad, but its that time of year for Insurance, X-max, Property tax's....Damn bills.

But profit sharing will hit in Feb or March, so if I can wait I will grab a set then (Unless a sweet deal comes along on black Friday/holiday time)

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:20 am

Hey, i understand. You gotta do what you gotta do. :rockon: