Any good off road recommendations in SoCal

Wheeling trips, camping trips, meet-ups, a night out boozing, etc.
bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Any good off road recommendations in SoCal

Post by bstefanic » Tue May 10, 2016 9:01 pm

Was just seeing if anyone has some good recommendations on decent offroad areas to check out that I could do in a weekend in SoCal? Just moved to San Diego for the military and was supposed to fly out today to meet my ship so the family flew back east for a few weeks last weekend and shockingly got the word yesterday that I'll be stuck here for at least another two weeks. Not looking for anything to crazy, 99% of my stuff is in storage since I'm just crashing at a buddies right now, but trails I can check out in a day or two just sleeping in my truck. (I brought all my tools, recovery gear etc with me) Looking to hopefully take the PW as long as the parts coming in Friday take care of a major clanking noise I've got and if not I've got the wife's Rubicon as back up. Either way...I've gotta get out of the city this weekend or I'm going to lose my mind.
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

Vee
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Re: Any good off road recommendations in SoCal

Post by Vee » Tue May 10, 2016 11:17 pm

Lots of great places just east of San Diego in the Anza Borrego desert.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Not all those who wander are lost

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Tue May 10, 2016 11:28 pm

Was told Toro Peak is a good place to check out. Hopefully the truck will the good to go but if anyone around is interested will still have the jeep if they want to go
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Thu May 12, 2016 4:15 pm

bstefanic wrote:Was told Toro Peak is a good place to check out. Hopefully the truck will the good to go but if anyone around is interested will still have the jeep if they want to go
Toro Peak is a basic fire road to the top of Toro peak not overly bad or good. If you can swing it I would do the Mojave road.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:52 am

These are some pics I took of the Mojave last weekendImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by LagunaH1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:14 pm

The Mohave road is awesome. Been far too long since I was out that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon SLT
NR6E

aearles
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by aearles » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:11 am

Looks familiar @DamageWagon! I ran it backwards with a group from Expedition Portal on New Years.

Only interesting part of the trail... all the Toyotas I was with turned around and took the bypass though. :lol:

Full album here

[edit] Didn't realize how old this thread was...
2015 Laramie | 35" KO2's, WKOR Sliders, AEV Diff Covers, ARE Z Series Cap, Viair 450 OBA, Kenwood D710G.
Aaron | Ham: NØMAD

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:13 pm

bstefanic wrote:Was just seeing if anyone has some good recommendations on decent offroad areas to check out that I could do in a weekend in SoCal? Just moved to San Diego for the military and was supposed to fly out today to meet my ship so the family flew back east for a few weeks last weekend and shockingly got the word yesterday that I'll be stuck here for at least another two weeks. Not looking for anything to crazy, 99% of my stuff is in storage since I'm just crashing at a buddies right now, but trails I can check out in a day or two just sleeping in my truck. (I brought all my tools, recovery gear etc with me) Looking to hopefully take the PW as long as the parts coming in Friday take care of a major clanking noise I've got and if not I've got the wife's Rubicon as back up. Either way...I've gotta get out of the city this weekend or I'm going to lose my mind.
Navy? Marines? Just assuming since you're from Chesapeake, I'm from Va Beach. Worked over at FCTLANT for some time. All my old friends and buddies are Navy/Marine. :cheers:

I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Guide to California Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails :rockon:
2017-03-24-10.07.53.jpg
There is a lot of stuff near you for some great desert wheeling. A lot of stuff that is only a few hours north to for great weekend trips. California has a lot to offer. Also, and while it may be taboo, a lot of the guys on https://americanadventurist.com/forum/ are in SoCal, and most are veterans/active duty and do a lot of wheeling in that area and have meetups more frequently than this group.

Also you're not too far away from Moab. Good days drive. ;)
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

BlkWgn
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BlkWgn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:41 pm

bstefanic wrote:Was told Toro Peak is a good place to check out. Hopefully the truck will the good to go but if anyone around is interested will still have the jeep if they want to go
Toro Peak is a cool area to camp but just a fire road. Dodge Trucks xtreme has a meet this weekend out at Stoddard Wells, I will be swinging by on the way home from camping on Sunday. If you want to test it out a little closer you probably want to hit Big Bear or Truckhaven
My new photography site - BlkWgn Photography http://blkwgn.smugmug.com

2006 Dodge Power Wagon production number 44 - Mercenary Offroad Prototype Bumper - Toyo 35 MT - Caril Springs - Carli Track Bar - Thuren Overland Shocks - Carli Front Diff Guard - RockCrusher Rear Diff Guard - Airflow Snorkel - Locker Bypass - Leer shell w/Roof Rack and 125w Solar Panel - and an empty wallet
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro (For Sale)

Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer[/color]

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/sh ... agon-Build

American Adventurist - http://www.americanadventurist.com