Winch Problems '05PW

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
powerwagonMI

Winch Problems '05PW

Post by powerwagonMI » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:13 am

Hello, I'm new to the Forum, but not to the PW. I've had mine since the stealership sold it to me in '05. I've never had any issues, until the warranty was out. :angry:

Recently I tried to use the winch and noticed the female connector had some corrosion on it and one terminal had been dislodged.

After calling Warn and then having to take it to a Stealership, I've decided "NO i'm not payin $800+ for a new control module" - I will attempt to fix myself. After finding the 5 wire retrofit socket on ebay, I assumed this would be a piece of cake fix.

Disconnect and lower the winch with a jack, remove the relay box, cut the wires and replace with the retrofit socket. I put everything back together and can't understand why it will not work. After checking up on both this forum and DT, I've heard of the LVI and the Thermal Protection Mod. I have done the thermal, I gonna try to do the LVI tomorrow. I cannot get anything to work, no in and out of the wire, no clicking. I've lowered and put back this winch 5 times, and now it is off completely and in the garage.

The post and relays look good, no corrosion just dirt. If the LVI doesnt work for me, I don't know if the PW will make it. Should I think about replacing the relays? I've purchased a trailer connector and can redo the 5 wire socket and mount higher, but if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

:winchmob:
'05 RED PW, 315 70R17 BF, AMP Power Steps & ARE Cap

TrueCowboy426
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re: Winch Problems '05PW

Post by TrueCowboy426 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:31 am

Is the socket the complete socket and wiring harness, that you just bolt onto the solenoids? When my socket corroded, I just ordered the socket assy 39886 from Warn and replaced all the wiring in the control box. I took off all the safeguard crap (LVI, thermal protection) and just wired the socket in direct like every other winch. Works like a champ and I don't have to worry about it crapping out due to safeties built to protect the winch from abuse.
2007 Dodge Power Wagon - Inferno Red Quad Cab, G56, KRC 210X cam, SRT8 JGC seats, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Offroad lights behind the grill, Warn wireless winch remote, Carli front Diff Guard, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, On board air complete w/ train horns, homemade hidden gooseneck hitch, Homemade locker bypass, upgraded Mopar steering box, Centerforce clutch
1998 Dodge 2500 Laramie, QCSB 4x4. 24V cummins, completely rebuilt chassis with '01 1500 body installed, full gauges, Edge drag comp box, +150hp injectors, performance 47re built by me, 35" Toyo MTs on 3rd gen wheels.
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7L Bright Silver, HO Cams, 12,000 lbs Winch mounted behind bumper, 4.56's, 2500 factory tow hooks, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Air-Lift Ride Control bags, homemade hidden ball gooseneck hitch.
1987 W100 - carburated 5.7 Hemi/727 combo, 35" Toyo MT's. Ramcharger D44 w/ warn hubs, Warlock seats, 2nd gen center console
1987 Dakota - RCSB, 413 big block, LT headers.
And a few jeeps for good measure.

powerwagonMI

Post by powerwagonMI » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:40 am

I did buy the warn replacement socket, but I only replaced the socket and spliced in the rest of the wires. Meaning I didn't go back to the solenoids. I figured there was no point, everything with the relays should be good, just the female socket had corrossion.

RedMan
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by RedMan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:35 am

There could be a few things that is causing this issue. Have you done a power check via the repair manual to make sure you have current flow in all directions?

Mine would not wind in at all, after doing my check I eventually found one solenoid bad, however once I replaced that one solenoid, it would still not work. I ended up having to replace both solenoids. Pay attention to the ohms (Resistance) while you’re checking everything, this is how I found my issue, high resistance means no flow. You stated you had corrosion, which means your resistance was off the charts most likely. Did the corrosion make its way into the wires? If so, replace the wires, if your not sure, replace the wires closest to the plug where the corrosion was found. You have now found at least one of your issues. This winch works off of little to no resistance and when it gets to high it will not work at all FYI.

Good luck bro and welcome to the forum
Power Wagon Registry #47
- SCT Tuner by http://www.hemifevertuning.com/
- Thuren suspension upgrade (springs, shocks, and shackles)
- Thuren steering upgrade
- DT PROFAB Swaybar links (w/ +2" lift)
- Wattsenegger Front & Rear bumpers (1/4" walls)
- 35 12.50R 17 NITTO Mud Grapplers (second set)__- Snorkel
- Rock Rails_______________________- CB Radio
- RockCrusher Front Diff Cover_______- Tool box and all necessary tools
- diff locker manual switch's_______________ - Flow Master Series 50 Dual Exhaust
- Illuminated Ram Hood Emblem______- Rocker Panels Hurculined
- H2 Wheels w/moded hubcaps_______- Power Wagon Winch Strap
- Solar Battery Maintainer___________- Hide-Away Gun rack

"The" Wifes Car
"Faith" 2014 Charger RT Max

My Toy
"VISCO" 2013 196CC Tidewater

powerwagonMI

Post by powerwagonMI » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:16 pm

I'm thinking I will need to replace some solenoids. First I want to try the LVI. But I actually cannot find the thread, and I forget what the goal was. Any help?

Chiprat1
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chiprat1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:08 pm

BUmp....What is the LVI
2006 Power Wagon
Line X – 2in Front Leveler (Pro Comp), Hard wired Lockers, Front Fog Lights,
35in KM2’s, De-Politicized Winch (No LVI, Etc)
5th Wheel hitch

1980 CJ7 – Rino Lined, 33x12.50 Pro Comp AMC 360ci
1974 CJ7 – AMC 304ci, Beaten but fun “Brush Buggy”
Kaw Brute 650 – One Bad 4x4, winch, 12 lights

Chiprat1
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chiprat1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:57 pm

BUmp, How did you wire around the LVI...I am about to do tghis as well. :popcorn:
2006 Power Wagon
Line X – 2in Front Leveler (Pro Comp), Hard wired Lockers, Front Fog Lights,
35in KM2’s, De-Politicized Winch (No LVI, Etc)
5th Wheel hitch

1980 CJ7 – Rino Lined, 33x12.50 Pro Comp AMC 360ci
1974 CJ7 – AMC 304ci, Beaten but fun “Brush Buggy”
Kaw Brute 650 – One Bad 4x4, winch, 12 lights

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Chiprat1 wrote:BUmp, How did you wire around the LVI...I am about to do tghis as well. :popcorn:
LVI is Low Voltage Interupt. Check out this post on DT. I posted the Warn Winch Service Manual

Usually folks don't have problems with the LVI. The most common culprit is the TPS.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showpos ... ostcount=7

Sent from my Transformer Infinity
2005 Dodge Power Wagon QC Black - "Laramie"
Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Kenwood KVT-719 w/ Garmin Navigation and Kenwood Rear Camera, JL Stealth Sub
Suspension/Protection Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Once you get it fixed, apply a liberal dose of Fluid Film to all connectors, plugs & wires.

Throttle 8
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Throttle 8 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:05 am

TwinStick wrote:Once you get it fixed, apply a liberal dose of Fluid Film to all connectors, plugs & wires.

LOL-----how did I know that was coming----call me Carnack!!!
That being said; my truck is going in at 13:30 this afternoon to be Krowned again----it seems to act the same way as fluid film does for protecting connections.
2007PW, black, quad cab, G56 6spd, heated leather, sunroof, dual zone climate, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (315/70/17), Locker Bypass, TPS Bypass, Lund tonneau, Maple Offroad sliders, wheel wheel liners, K&N filter, bedliner, PIAA headlights, PIAA foglights, 24" LED lightbar behind grill, Carli Diff guard, Dodge Off Road steering brace, Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli Trac Bar, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Carli ball joints, updated "T" style linkage, Odyssy battery, recovery gear, Studded Goodyear Duratrack 315/70/17 for winter

MY OTHER VEHICLE IS A LOCOMOTIVE

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:40 pm

:secret: You just can't fuck with something that works as good as Fluid Film does. Once you try it, you too will be an advocate, rather than a :poke: . :rockon:

Throttle 8
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Throttle 8 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:55 pm

TwinStick wrote::secret: You just can't fuck with something that works as good as Fluid Film does. Once you try it, you too will be an advocate, rather than a :poke: . :rockon:

LOL! I have 2 cans in the garage at all times! I give my winch contacts and smart bar etc a couple squirts a year!!!! You're preaching to the choir. :poke:
2007PW, black, quad cab, G56 6spd, heated leather, sunroof, dual zone climate, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (315/70/17), Locker Bypass, TPS Bypass, Lund tonneau, Maple Offroad sliders, wheel wheel liners, K&N filter, bedliner, PIAA headlights, PIAA foglights, 24" LED lightbar behind grill, Carli Diff guard, Dodge Off Road steering brace, Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli Trac Bar, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Carli ball joints, updated "T" style linkage, Odyssy battery, recovery gear, Studded Goodyear Duratrack 315/70/17 for winter

MY OTHER VEHICLE IS A LOCOMOTIVE