BUILD THREAD COMMENTS

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: Reloaderguy's Mod Thread

Post by adeluca73 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:21 am

Reloaderguy wrote:Truck top came in last week. SnugTop SS

Looking great...nice blue & matching cab. I did the same with my F150 long bed with a mid-height cap shell, used it to sleep in on bowhunting weekend trips. Worked well. Had a pickup mattress, heater, 2 rows of LED's, 3x 12V outlets, sliding screen windows all around, old army folding table and chair, camp stove, lantern perfect for weekend trips.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:05 pm

adeluca73 wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:Truck top came in last week. SnugTop SS

Looking great...nice blue & matching cab. I did the same with my F150 long bed with a mid-height cap shell, used it to sleep in on bowhunting weekend trips. Worked well. Had a pickup mattress, heater, 2 rows of LED's, 3x 12V outlets, sliding screen windows all around, old army folding table and chair, camp stove, lantern perfect for weekend trips.
Thanks. I am planning on sleeping in it on climbing trips. I am planning to wire in more 12V outlets. I kicked around a Decked system but the price is kind of steep. Now that I have committed to a full size spare out from under the truck I have a new battery mounting location. It should make wiring the bed easier.

I originally wanted a sliding window but the dealer mentioned some production concerns that were in the midst of being resolved. The SS looks better but doesn't have screens and only open at the rear. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.
Best Year Power Wagon

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:06 am

Your thread was an eye opener for sure. Short of washboards, I'm not interested in going fast. I think my build out would be very poorly suited for big bumps or jumping. This truck is more about access into hard to get climbing places, namely the Ghost in January.
Best Year Power Wagon

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:50 am

Any feed back yet on the 37 R/T's? Did you consider their M/T or one the less popular makes like Falken Wild Peak, Kelly TSR, new Patriots, Dick Cepek etc? I do like the Hankook Dynapro MT's too
<Build Thread>

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Re: BoldAdventures 2015 Power Wagon Build

Post by adeluca73 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:53 am

Notice any change a/ the stubbie antenna?
<Build Thread>

BoldAdventure
Model Year: 2015

Post by BoldAdventure » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:02 pm

adeluca73 wrote:Notice any change a/ the stubbie antenna?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like I said, we use an ipod 99% of the time. Never in one spot long enough to listen to the radio. That being said, I ran this same antenna on my 1500 and it was ok when we still lived in Tampa. But I noticed it was kind of sub par when we left the metro area.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

BoldAdventure

Post by BoldAdventure » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:45 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:You might like one of these for your cell phone mount.

http://shop.bayougoatmounts.com/
Thanks, I had one on my 2010 1500. I still have it. Didn't fit the 2015. With the larger screen I think the phones would be over the screen with the mount.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue May 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Hey MikeKey, looking good!

I notice your PW doesn't have the tow mirrors, yet your old 1500 did. Any particular reason for this? Which one do you like better? Can you see around the TT good enough without them? Thanks!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes :patriot:

BoldAdventure

Post by BoldAdventure » Tue May 03, 2016 5:41 pm

olyelr wrote:Hey MikeKey, looking good!

I notice your PW doesn't have the tow mirrors, yet your old 1500 did. Any particular reason for this? Which one do you like better? Can you see around the TT good enough without them? Thanks!
It just didn't have them. I've survived. I'd prefer tow mirrors.

And I haven't found anyone with power folding tow mirrors for sale yet. 1AAuto used to have them, but they haven't had them on their site in awhile. Supposedly there was an issue with the aftermarkets. They said they'd have them by the end of May. :angry: I am holding out for as long as possible to get power folding tow mirrors. But if it comes down to it, I might have to get manual folding.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue May 03, 2016 8:14 pm

MikeKey wrote:
olyelr wrote:Hey MikeKey, looking good!

It just didn't have them. I've survived. I'd prefer tow mirrors.

And I haven't found anyone with power folding tow mirrors for sale yet. 1AAuto used to have them, but they haven't had them on their site in awhile. Supposedly there was an issue with the aftermarkets. They said they'd have them by the end of May. :angry: I am holding out for as long as possible to get power folding tow mirrors. But if it comes down to it, I might have to get manual folding.
Dang, should have swapped them off your 1500.

So in your opinion the tow mirrors are better? My salesman is trying to talk me out them... says the smaller ones are easier to look out of and stick out just about as far... far enough to see around his trailer just fine. Hmmmmm, I think he's trying to sell me a truck...

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Tue May 03, 2016 9:14 pm

He may be one of those people that adjust their mirrors so 2/3 of the view is filled with the back of the vehicle. My FD is full of them. They don't realize that the back end of the truck WILL FOLLOW YOU, and you don't need to see it, so it's best if the mirrors adjust out far enough to see around it or the trailer.

I heard stories of bad vibrations in aftermarket mirrors. Maybe that was the problem.
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Tue May 03, 2016 9:41 pm

VERY sharp looking truck you've got there!!! Question for you: How do you like the Factor55 Flatlink so far? I have been thinking about switching to one. Did you go with the XXL or the regular? Thanks!

BoldAdventure

Post by BoldAdventure » Tue May 03, 2016 10:09 pm

You can see around the trailer enough. But I prefer the large convex on the bottom that the tow mirror provides. There is no convex on my current mirrors.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue May 03, 2016 10:55 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:
I heard stories of bad vibrations in aftermarket mirrors. Maybe that was the problem.
I put an aftermarket tow mirror on my 06 because it was waaaaay cheaper than a factory one and that damn thing vibrated so much it was absolutely worthless. After that I told myself I would never buy an aftermarket one again.

Vee wrote:I had aftermarket tow mirrors on my 1500 and had good luck with them. No real issue with vibration. Mine were not powerfolding, but had heat, puddle light and turn signal. Olyelr, I would hold out for tow mirrors. I hated my non tow mirrors. Full convex mirror on the passenger side is a pain to back a trailer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I located the truck (for my salesman :roll: ) in another state and they are doing a dealer trade. They said they would trade em out for me if I want.

MikeKey wrote:You can see around the trailer enough. But I prefer the large convex on the bottom that the tow mirror provides. There is no convex on my current mirrors.
That was one of his beef's with the tow mirrors, was that convex mirror. Does it get in the way at all when you are using them without them being up in the tow mode, or is there enough of the flat mirror for normal driving?

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed May 04, 2016 12:46 am

It's just the standard flatlink. I have not used it yet, I bought it to get the cable inside the bumper when stored without modifying the bumper.
Best Year Power Wagon

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed May 04, 2016 3:05 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:I don"t have any issues with the amount of flat mirror on my 3G. I think the surface area is pretty close to a 4G. I would get the tow mirrors. Have you test drove a regular 2500 with and without? That should tell you if you can work with them.
No, I havnt driven one since my '06 hahaha. The last two brand new vehicles I have bought I never even test drove one or been in one before hahaha. They will swap the mirrors for me if I dont like em.

Alrighty, I'm done mucking up MikeKeys build thread. Sorry about veering off with my nonsense. Get back to the mods!

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Wed May 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Standard? Interesting. Their site says standard will only fit up to 3/8" cable and it's my understanding our winches have 7/16" cable. Did you notice any fitment issues? If I could run a standard Flatlink, that'd be awesome, the XXL is wicked huge. I want to run a Flatlink since my cable is developing a kink where it rubs against the fairlead's bracket. Thanks for the info!!!!

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed May 04, 2016 10:49 pm

I believe the cable size limit has to do with the cross pin diameter and the reduction of cable strength from the reduced rope to radius ratio. Pull tests suggest the correlation isn't perfect though.

Maybe if you feel like spending $20 you'd be interested in a rope spool. http://factor55.com/product/new-synthetic-rope-spool/
Best Year Power Wagon

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Thu May 05, 2016 8:40 pm

Cool, thanks for the info and link! I saw a 1500 in your truck's same color yesterday, all I could think was- wow that is an awesome color but, a Power Wagon looks so much better in it than a 1500 does! LOL! That blue is super sharp!!!! I look forward to seeing your build progress!!!!

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri May 06, 2016 10:36 am

Thanks. The color was seriously an after thought. I was originally planning on ordering Granite Chrystal or Silver but the exact truck (sans color) just happened to be in stock for the right price. The color is growing on me, it gets compliments from everyone.

I've been working on the spare tire problem this week. I spoke with Wilco a couple of weeks ago about their Hitch-Gate. The problem is my truck has a 2.5" class V receiver and their carrier has a 2" draw bar. I discussed using a Roadmaster Quiet Hitch with Wilco and they said it looked like an ok solution. The problem is the thread engagement is pretty short and may not span the added adapter length. Wilco called yesterday (out of the blue) and said they are going to build an adapter in house and offered me the prototype if I bought a carrier. I guess they have had some requests so they are going to build something to accommodate the 3/4 ton crowd.

The plan is to build a bed platform with a removable center section that will hold the spare for local driving or non-camping trips. For camping I'll bring the Wilco carrier. I have a game plan for the bed system but I ran into a snag yesterday...the truck topper passenger side window is leaking. The truck top is integral to my auxiliary battery plans so I have to get it fixed before I can do anything else.

Steering brace will be here next week. Suspension work will happen some time this month.
Best Year Power Wagon

black_hawk8888
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by black_hawk8888 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:56 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:Steering brace will be here next week. Suspension work will happen some time this month.
Thuren will have hemi specific stuff that quick? Great news! A swinging gate mounted spare would be awesome - will it allow the backup camera to stay in place?
2015 Power Wagon SLT
Stickers removed, Dual Alternators, Thuren PW coils and sway bar with Overland shocks, Magnaflow muffler, resonator deleted, tow mirrors, AMP Powersteps, Carli front diff guard, Husky X-Act mats, spray in bed liner, Undercover tonneau cover

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Fri May 06, 2016 2:19 pm

black_hawk8888 wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:Steering brace will be here next week. Suspension work will happen some time this month.
Thuren will have hemi specific stuff that quick? Great news! A swinging gate mounted spare would be awesome - will it allow the backup camera to stay in place?
I've always like the Aluminess rear bumper with the swing gate myself. http://www.aluminess.com/dodge/dodge-po ... ar-bumper/
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue May 10, 2016 7:44 pm

Moving right along!

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Thu May 12, 2016 7:44 pm

Good call on the A/T II's. I've been really happy with them on my truck.
2012 Ram Power Wagon: http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu May 12, 2016 11:35 pm

Somebody wasnt watching their wife's spotting instructions... I see the front bumper took a hit and got shoved up into the flare a bit :D

Looking good! Did you have a hard time choosing the 35's over the 285/75/17? Seems like those would have been a little better for your intended use (a bit skinnier, yet basically the same height). None the less the 35's look great and will work great as well!