Another PW lifted with Blocks and Spacers

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Another PW lifted with Blocks and Spacers

Post by myoung84 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Finally installed my lift spacers this weekend. Went with 2" up front and 1.5" in back. I know a lot of you frown upon spacers, but it works for me. Already have bad wheel hop in sand so it's not the end of the world if it gets a little worse. And I hate driving in sand anyways. The axle is off centered a little so I'll be buying a new adjustable track bar soon, either Carli or Pure Performance. Don't really see a need to go with longer control arms just yet since my tires clear just fine, but they are on the list. On road manners haven't changed a bit, haven't had a chance to take it off road yet.

This is as high as I am going. I'm at 83" to the top of the cab lights, and that gets a little close in parking garages. I was in a 7' parking garage this evening at the hospital and it was scary close! It also just barely clears my garage door so I can still change my oil in the garage, can't spare another inch though. I can also easily clear 35's if I want in the future.

Pictures aren't the best. I'll get more later after it's cleaned up a little.

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

vanished
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Another PW lifted with Blocks and Spacers

Post by vanished » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm

I learned the hard way that just because the clearance lights clear doesn't mean the satellite antenna will.. just saying.. ;) and I'm stock height with 35's... sign said 7', but I still don't believe it!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 pm

LOL. Driving on the level parts wasn't bad but it got REAL close going up the ramps!
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can

Throttle 8
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Throttle 8 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:04 pm

I was at a touchless car wash this week. The clearance bar said 83". I opened the sunroof and saw that I cleared it by 1/2". That puts my truck at 82.5" with stock suspension and 35's.
2007PW, black, quad cab, G56 6spd, heated leather, sunroof, dual zone climate, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (315/70/17), Locker Bypass, TPS Bypass, Lund tonneau, Maple Offroad sliders, wheel wheel liners, K&N filter, bedliner, PIAA headlights, PIAA foglights, 24" LED lightbar behind grill, Carli Diff guard, Dodge Off Road steering brace, Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli Trac Bar, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Carli ball joints, updated "T" style linkage, Odyssy battery, recovery gear, Studded Goodyear Duratrack 315/70/17 for winter

MY OTHER VEHICLE IS A LOCOMOTIVE

VA_Wagon Man
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by VA_Wagon Man » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:25 pm

Nice looking truck. Where did you get the rear blocks?

Sent from the middle of nowhere.
Long Gone:
'05 Silver Power Wagon: # 869: Custom Rear Hitch & Bed Clearance Mod, Custom Front and Rear Tubular Bumpers, Airflow 3rd Gen Snorkel, Diablo Sport Predator, 35x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler Extreme Terrain, Flow Master 40, Mopar Rock Rails, Warn 15,000lb Winch,with Thermal Bypass, 4.56 Locking front and rear Diffs, Sway-bar disconnect, Uprgraded " T " steering linkage, Fully Skid plated with fore and aft bars, Carli Front Diff Protector, RockCrusher Rear Diff Pro, Bilstein 5100's with rear Custom Valving, Pit Slave Winch Strap, CajunPW PNP Locker By-Pass,

Follow Me, I'll Pull You Out...AFTER you pull me out......
Rausch Creek 2010 Fall Run
Rausch Creek 2011 Spring Run
Rausch Creek 2011 Fall Run
Rausch Creek 2012 Spring Run
Future Rausch Creek 2013 Spring Run June 22nd!

"There is no hunting, like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter." --Earnest Hemmingway--

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:42 pm

Topguncustomz. They are the best designed blocks I have found. They have three pins on the bottom side to make sure they stay located. Also, no chance of them cracking like cast iron blocks.

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Carli Track Bar has been ordered!

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Nice truck man. :rockon: looks like a mod my wallet could live with. :cash: What brand are the front spacers?
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks! Spacers and blocks are both from Top Gun Customz.

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks! Spacers and blocks are both from Top Gun Customz.

dmclaughlin11
Model Year: 2012

Post by dmclaughlin11 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:50 am

myoung84 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:34 pm
Finally installed my lift spacers this weekend. Went with 2" up front and 1.5" in back. I know a lot of you frown upon spacers, but it works for me. Already have bad wheel hop in sand so it's not the end of the world if it gets a little worse. And I hate driving in sand anyways. The axle is off centered a little so I'll be buying a new adjustable track bar soon, either Carli or Pure Performance. Don't really see a need to go with longer control arms just yet since my tires clear just fine, but they are on the list. On road manners haven't changed a bit, haven't had a chance to take it off road yet.

This is as high as I am going. I'm at 83" to the top of the cab lights, and that gets a little close in parking garages. I was in a 7' parking garage this evening at the hospital and it was scary close! It also just barely clears my garage door so I can still change my oil in the garage, can't spare another inch though. I can also easily clear 35's if I want in the future.

Pictures aren't the best. I'll get more later after it's cleaned up a little.

Hi there, I just joined this forum specifically so I can ask more about your truck, as I have a 2012 stock power wagon.

I am looking to get new tires and was entertaining the idea of maybe putting a leveling kit on, but have read a lot of pushback when it comes to modding these power wagons, as you mentioned in your post.

My question to you is, how do/did you like that 2" front spacer? do you think the ride would be okay if I only this the front spacer and not the back? I use this as my daily driver and don't go offroading (except for hunting and camping a few times a year, but I am not really flexing the suspension a bunch at all). But I would like to figure out how to get larger tires on this ride.

Also I am planning on keeping my stock wheels for the next set of tires, what's the biggest size do you think works best if I just leave the suspension alone? And same question for if I added the front spacer?

I have read that a lot of people even run 35s with stock suspension, and get a little rubbing when going offroad. But as I mentioned, I don't do a lot of offroading.

I have been leaning towards the 285/75 r17's but im also wondering if the stock suspension has rom for more.

hope to hear back from you soon! thank you.

-Dean

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:15 pm

have read a lot of pushback when it comes to modding these power wagons
There is no resistance to modding PWs. Any resistance you may have sensed is to dumb mods. There is a difference.

dmclaughlin11

Post by dmclaughlin11 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:38 pm

Ducky's Dad wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:15 pm
There is no resistance to modding PWs. Any resistance you may have sensed is to dumb mods. There is a difference.
That is precisely why I am inquiring about this subject on this forum. I am turning to you experienced Power Wagon owners to see what constitutes a "dumb mod". For instance, does installing a leveling kit a dumb mod? What about increasing tire size while keeping everything stock? What about increasing tire size AND installing a leveling kit? Etc.... thanks

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Mine is a 3G so somewhat different from a 4G. My usual opinion is that leveling kits are a dumb mod and not useful for anything but looks if you don't really need the clearance for the tires you want to run. Most 3G and apparently 4G PWs will easily run 35s with stock suspension, so you probably don't need a leveling kit for that. On the other hand, a leveling kit will shift the weight of the truck a tiny bit toward the rear tires, so can help mitigate understeer on a empty truck. On the third hand, raising the nose is not at all helpful on a truck that actually hauls stuff. Example: Second generation Tundras understeer horribly on stock suspension, even with good tires and shocks. My 2008 Tundra was so bad that I put on a leveling kit to make it handle better on the road, and it worked. Toyota actually figured it out on the more recent Tundras and included a small front-only lift on the TuRD Pro package and it helps a bunch on the new Tundras. PWs don't usually need that kind of help. Heavy loads in a lot of Tundras with the CrewMax cab are a non-issue because the bed is so damn small. Also not an issue on a PW. So, if all you want to do is run 35s on stock suspension and wheels, skip the leveling kit and save your money. Stock PW wheels are fine with 35x12.50 Toyos.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:32 pm

35’s on factory wheels should be completely fine for you. I wouldn’t worry about a leveling kit at all.

The thing about a leveling spacer is you also need to extend your bumpstop so you’re losing a bit of travel.

If you find you want it leveled after you get the 35’s on there I’d suggest getting some Thuren front coils. It will ride better than stock or stock+spacer and they’re not much more costly.

A lift won’t help clear big tires, if you’re still using factory bump. That’s what determines what fits. Unless you lift 6” and do the corresponding bump drops a lift won’t affect your tire choice really
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

dmclaughlin11

Post by dmclaughlin11 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:39 pm

Colibri wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:32 pm
35’s on factory wheels should be completely fine for you. I wouldn’t worry about a leveling kit at all.

The thing about a leveling spacer is you also need to extend your bumpstop so you’re losing a bit of travel.

If you find you want it leveled after you get the 35’s on there I’d suggest getting some Thuren front coils. It will ride better than stock or stock+spacer and they’re not much more costly.

A lift won’t help clear big tires, if you’re still using factory bump. That’s what determines what fits. Unless you lift 6” and do the corresponding bump drops a lift won’t affect your tire choice really
Thanks to both of these latest posts. I couldn't find a straight answer on the existing forums to answer my base question unless I asked it myself. I look forward to being a part of this forum, and soon I will post in the newbies section to tell you all a little about myself and my PW

Momstmg
Model Year: 2018

Post by Momstmg » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:57 pm

If you install the thuren front springs, do you have to add a new track bar or anything else? Thanks in advance

13powerwagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by 13powerwagon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:55 pm

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/ ... tment.html

The link above has a fairly detailed explanation on tire fitment.
2013 tradesman
Thuren 2” coils, track bar, short arms, 2.5 Kings, axle truss, LT leafs, shackles and front bumper. Carli ball joints, 37” dynapro mts on stock wheels, purple cranium dif covers, maple offroad skid, offset rear cross bar, sliders and high clearance rear bumper.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:13 pm

dmclaughlin11 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:50 am
myoung84 wrote:
Finally installed my lift spacers this weekend.
Hi there, I just joined this forum specifically so I can ask more about your truck, as I have a 2012 stock power wagon.

-Dean
Welcome, Dean. You replied to ~6 year old post. Myoung84 doesn't post on this forum any more, so don't expect a reply from him. You should be able to get some useful info from other 2009-2014 owners, the suspension is the same through those model years. Best of luck.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:44 am

Low_Sky wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:13 pm
dmclaughlin11 wrote:
myoung84 wrote:
Finally installed my lift spacers this weekend.

-Dean
Welcome, Dean. You replied to ~6 year old post. Myoung84 doesn't post on this forum any more, so don't expect a reply from him. You should be able to get some useful info from other 2009-2014 owners, the suspension is the same through those model years. Best of luck.
Suspension changed from '13 to '14. My '13 Power Wagon had rear leaves and my '14 has coils.
:idea:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TommyG » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 am

Dean I have a 2012 and am on 37s with no lift or leveling kit. I did do the Thuren control arms to move the front axle ahead as much as possible. I rub a tiny bit at the rear of the fender well with the 37s on the factory wheels. I think you should be fine on 35s. I would echo others and say skip the leveling kit. It will not help with tire fitment and has some downsides. There are some reasonable options for getting a little more lift and improving the ride of your truck in the process down the road if you still want to.

Welcome to the Circus! Glad you are here.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:48 am

Momstmg wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:57 pm
If you install the thuren front springs, do you have to add a new track bar or anything else? Thanks in advance
If you install Thuren 3" springs. You will have to add a trackbar to get the axle centered under the truck. The length would be about 39 1/4".
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:58 am

Bill2014 wrote:
Low_Sky wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:13 pm
dmclaughlin11 wrote:

-Dean
Suspension changed from '13 to '14. My '13 Power Wagon had rear leaves and my '14 has coils.
:idea:
Typo, good catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by adeluca73 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:25 pm

dmclaughlin11 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:38 pm
Ducky's Dad wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:15 pm
That is precisely why I am inquiring about this subject on this forum. I am turning to you experienced Power Wagon owners to see what constitutes a "dumb mod". For instance, does installing a leveling kit a dumb mod? What about increasing tire size while keeping everything stock? What about increasing tire size AND installing a leveling kit? Etc.... thanks

I run TRUXX PW 1.5” spacer blocks on top of my front springs. My truck is essentially level, maybe ½” rake. I don’t tow very much & my PW is NOT my DD. My truck is used for recreation, a few camping trips, a 2-wk deer hunting trip in N. Mich every fall, and weekend bird hunting trips in the winter.

I don’t purposely off-road, race, or jump my PW, but I don’t avoid any off-road situations either when I’m using it for recreation and have had no issues running the spacer with my truck locked-up, in 4H/4L, or with the sway bar unlocked. The stock shocks suck & the springs are a tad stiff & the front bump stops are painful...if $ is tight, I’d run it, I have for nearly 2.5 yrs...But I did buy the Thuren kit, the spacers were always just a temporary place holder for me.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>