Tire Gate Vertical series for Dodge Truck

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
leo72987
250_Posts
250_Posts

Tire Gate Vertical series for Dodge Truck

Post by leo72987 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Hey guys my tailgate is almost rotted out so I have been thinking about replacements. I'm thinking this might be an awesome upgrade check it out!! :rockon:

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Tire_g ... series.htm

They do come in different styles but the Vertical series is the one I have been considering.
2005 Wagon Standard Cab Auto,Bilstein 5100's,White Knuckle Sliders,Dodge Offroad Diff covers,Cooper St Maxx's stock size, Hardwired lockers,Evo manual sway bar disconnect conversion, DT Pro Fab Sway Bar links

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Re: Tire Gate Vertical series for Dodge Truck

Post by verdesardog » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:55 pm

Almost $1000.00 for a tailgate? :jawdrop:
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

leo72987
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by leo72987 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:02 pm

I will agree the price is a little moronic :lol: Were I stand now it would cost me $400 max for a replacement stock tailgate and the cheapest I could fine it was for $795. Either way i'm not doing anything until it rusts off the truck :rockon:
2005 Wagon Standard Cab Auto,Bilstein 5100's,White Knuckle Sliders,Dodge Offroad Diff covers,Cooper St Maxx's stock size, Hardwired lockers,Evo manual sway bar disconnect conversion, DT Pro Fab Sway Bar links

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:23 pm

My neighbor reverse taco'd my tailgate on my 2000 Dodge Dakota. $600 total for tailgate & paint & clear coat, back in 2000. It was 30 days old. We were going atv'ing & i had to work. Took the wifes car to work & told him to hook the trailer up & load his atv. He forgot to lock the hitch to the ball. Drove up & it lifted hard & fast. Ripped right through the outer skin & bent the tailgate up from underneath while it was down. Nobody drives my truck now. Nobody. I even drive it into the service bay at the dealer & back out.

I like the tire gate vertical. That is the one i would get. But i like my tailgate too.

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:01 pm

My tailgate was stolen in 2006. The truck was 6 months old. I reported it to my insurance company, and took it to a body shop for an estimate.

As it turns out, you don't just call the Dodge parts department and order a tailgate. You order the sheetmetal, and then each individual part, down to nuts, bolts, washers, clips, handle, etc. When it was all said and done, after paint, assembly, and spray in bed liner, the bill was over $1700!
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:20 pm

When I needed a replacement tailgate for my GMC, it was only $100, complete, from a local wrecking yard. It was even the right color, but I repainted it myself anyway. Ordered new badges from the GM dealer, had a fresh tailgate on the truck for about $250 total. Trick seems to be to buy a complete tailgate from a yard, ready to hang on the truck, and do the paint yourself.

Here is another vertical spare option for Rams, 2002-2012:
http://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/tirega ... mount-ram/
These guys are in So Cal and they may be the manufacturer of the one linked above. They are fabbing a light bar for my Tundra.

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:32 am

I agree on the yard tailgate option for cost savings, however the yards in my area won't separate them from the beds unless the bed is completely hosed. This usually means the gate has issues, too.

Mine was stolen along with 3-4 others the same night. There is a big market for tailgates.
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

leo72987
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by leo72987 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:47 am

Hey guys I agree with all of you the Tire Gate is definitely a cool option and would be functional as I do spend alot of my time in woods. We don't have many pick a parts around me lol the closest one is over an hour a way. LIke others have said most of the tailgates in my junkyards anyways are rotted out or beat to hell. The pristine ones tend to stay with the pickup beds. I have been keeping an eye on Craiglist to.... Just hard when New England is such a salt area HAHA. :angry:

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:43 am

There is a big yard in Alabama (I think) that specializes in late model pickup and SUV parts. Can't remember the name right now, but their prices are reasonable and shipping is not too bad. I had them ship a bunch of brake parts and they arrived clean and ready to use. Also had them ship a complete GMC rear diff and axle assembly, complete with brake drums. Came clean on a pallet and was still cheaper than anything I could find locally around Los Angeles. I'll see if I can find any record of those shipments, but try Google..

Found it, sort of: Used to be Certified Auto Wrecking in Ardmore Al at 800-632-2091, but their website is gone. Answering machine is for LKQ Barbers, which appears to be a recycler, a new parts wholesaler and an auto dealer of some sort. They were closed when I called, but their web site says:
LKQ Barbers stores inventory on a 50,000 square foot climate controlled facility. At this location, you will find one of the largest inventories of late model car and truck used parts. Our inventory consist of clean, high-quality recycled OE parts. Our 5 Sales Representatives are highly trained and knowledgeable and are ready to assist you.
Looks like they may have acquired Certified, so worth a call if you want a used tailgate. I'm guessing that their overhead is a lot higher than the old Certified overhead, so pricing may be higher, but worth a call.
LKQ BRIMINGHAM-ARDMORE
Contact
29290 Mangum Dr
Ardmore, AL 35739
Phone:
(256) 423-7560
Toll Free Phone:
(800) 632-2091
Fax:
(256) 423-7564
Email:
1128sales@lkqcorp.com
Sales Email:
thcheatham@lkqcorp.com
http://www.lkqcorp.com/en-us/locations/ ... re-al.aspx

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:45 pm

Ducky's Dad wrote:There is a big yard in Alabama (I think) that specializes in late model pickup and SUV parts. Can't remember the name right now, but their prices are reasonable and shipping is not too bad. I had them ship a bunch of brake parts and they arrived clean and ready to use. Also had them ship a complete GMC rear diff and axle assembly, complete with brake drums. Came clean on a pallet and was still cheaper than anything I could find locally around Los Angeles. I'll see if I can find any record of those shipments, but try Google..

Found it, sort of: Used to be Certified Auto Wrecking in Ardmore Al at 800-632-2091, but their website is gone. Answering machine is for LKQ Barbers, which appears to be a recycler, a new parts wholesaler and an auto dealer of some sort. They were closed when I called, but their web site says:
LKQ Barbers stores inventory on a 50,000 square foot climate controlled facility. At this location, you will find one of the largest inventories of late model car and truck used parts. Our inventory consist of clean, high-quality recycled OE parts. Our 5 Sales Representatives are highly trained and knowledgeable and are ready to assist you.
Looks like they may have acquired Certified, so worth a call if you want a used tailgate. I'm guessing that their overhead is a lot higher than the old Certified overhead, so pricing may be higher, but worth a call.
LKQ BRIMINGHAM-ARDMORE
Contact
29290 Mangum Dr
Ardmore, AL 35739
Phone:
(256) 423-7560
Toll Free Phone:
(800) 632-2091
Fax:
(256) 423-7564
Email:
1128sales@lkqcorp.com
Sales Email:
thcheatham@lkqcorp.com
http://www.lkqcorp.com/en-us/locations/ ... re-al.aspx
They have an account on eBay. They seem to do a large amount of sales through eBay.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:22 am

I messed up my gate a few years back and gave up on trying to get another one. Couldn't come up with anything less than $1,000 (including liner) that was worth having.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:06 am

Use caution as tire gate products are know to tear up the bed if you use your truck in rough off road situations. Normal use would be fine I suspect. It uses the factory tailgate mounting locations and hardware, in rough use off road it pulls apart the bed welds. Some on DTX have reinforced the bed and tied the tire gate into their custom bumper with good success. If I recall expedition portal had a tread on this that also says it is not a good idea unless reinforced but that thread was on the Toyota trucks. There are bumpers that integrate a tire carrier into the design. But that would require a tailgate and that was the issue in the first place.

http://www.aluminess.com/dodge/dodge-ra ... ar-bumper/

My build 2009 3G
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2305

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf
David Rockefeller: Memoirs (The story of traitors)
http://www.devvy.com/pdf/2006_November/ ... rnment.pdf

leo72987
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by leo72987 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:15 am

Hey there guys sorry for the late response been out of town the last few days. I went ahead and took a look at those suggest savage yards and none of them had a flame red tailgate. the prices were around $350+shipping when I checked and I would still need it repainted probably another $150 bringing it to $500. I'm at the very early stages but I appreciate the heads up about the tiregate failing in offroad environments. That does kind of sway my opinion... I did some more thinking and I feel I'm always loading things in the bed, quad, buddies bikes, snow mobile, plan ole moving shit LOL. I came across this pricey but I think i'm in love with it haha.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Loadin ... _ramps.htm

vanished
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by vanished » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:20 am

That's a neat idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backwoods
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Backwoods » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:52 pm

As mentioned above, watch the Tiregates if you are working your truck hard. I ran a slanted version both inside the bed and outside the bed on my Ford, with a 38" tire.

Ripped the rear of the bed apart after about 15,000km of rough gravel roads. lost the whole damn issue on the highway one day, that was scary.

Neve had a vertical one though, might put the stress differently. I'd be sure to cable it in as well as bolts to retain it if things break.

YMMV.

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:09 am

Ya the only way I would trus a tire gate style rear spare holder was if it was custom and relied heavily on another mounting system to control the massive amount of weight of a full size spare. To put in perspective I have mine mounted flush in the bed with a 1" threaded bar and a bad landing bent the cross member it was holding on to.

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:09 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447337367.152746.jpg
this would be the landing that did it! lol

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"