Passenger door wiring harness

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Passenger door wiring harness

Post by GunniPWguy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:28 pm

I know it has been discussed before. The wiring harness that runs from the door into the body has a tendency to split wires and cause speakers, locks, windows not to work. I have repaired them three times now and I am running out of patience and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a replacement harness available out there? Next option is rewiring it all myself. Anyone have the same issues? I remember pdavey posting his soldering solution a few years ago. That didn't work for mine. :cheers:
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

darwink1

Re: Passenger door wiring harness

Post by darwink1 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:23 pm

The wiring in these trucks is terrible overall and the wires used are as thin as hair. Ive had my rear driver door wiring break twice now, first time we soldered everything hack together and that lasted about 6 months. The wires just broke right next to where we fixed them. The second time i grabbed the harness out of my spare door and threw that in.

What pisses me off most is that the dealer was selling them for 30 bucks since it was a known problem but now they want 250..... because..... theyre assholes.

Besides the fact the wiring sucks we get temps into the minus 40 and 50 range in the winter and im thinking thats what did mine in when opening and closing that door. What i dont get is why the drivers door hasnt f up yet since thats the one i use most...

D

D
06 power wagon dd
1985 one tonned fj60 land cruiser ram jet 350 nv4500 atlas 2 d60/14 bolt w arbs custom bumpers/tire carrier/tube work champion beadlocks 40x17x14.5 km2s
1969 frame off resto rat modded fj40 land cruiser 2f inline 6 4 spd one pc case fj60 front/ffzj80 full float rear axles w 529 gears and aussie lockers tmr beadlocks with 39.5x17x13.5 blue label crawlers custome tube work full roll cage tied to frame extended wheel base custom cedar dash
1993 fzj80 land cruiser 2.5" lift rockin 37s SOLD
2000 Tacoma locked bumpered skid plated SOLD
1990 toyota mini truck dd SOLD

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:28 pm

I "fixed" mine multiple times and then finally re-wired the whole thing through the door. Re-did all the in connections and. Haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
2005 Dodge Power Wagon QC Black - "Laramie"
Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Kenwood KVT-719 w/ Garmin Navigation and Kenwood Rear Camera, JL Stealth Sub
Suspension/Protection Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:39 am

pdavey wrote:I "fixed" mine multiple times and then finally re-wired the whole thing through the door. Re-did all the in connections and. Haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Guess that is the route I'll have to take as well. Ain't no way I'm going to shell out $250.00 for a wiring harness! :angry:
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:17 pm

:roll:
At least the connectors are easy-ish to get to...

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:12 pm

I am hesitant to pull off the door panel and really booger something up. How easy is that to do?

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:19 pm

A lot easier than my '99 was.

Basically, pop the little plastic retainer around the lock pop-up out, take the door handle off (1 torx bolt), and I think there were two screws on teh bottom of the door... those come off. On the front doors I think there's another one towards the front-top.
Grab the handle, lift, and it'll come right off. Disconnect the electricals from the interior panel, and peel back the plastic sheet over the door skeleton to get to that hinge connector/harness.

Getting it back on is a matter of connecting the wires, lining up all the hooks with the windows in the door skeleton, and sliding it down about 1/2" to engage all the hooks. Couple screws back in, and that's it.

On the inside, the rear door's harnesses are below the front seat belt assy, have to take the top and bottom trim pieces off the pillar to get to it, but once you do the connector pops out real easy.

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks man! That helps a whole lot!

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:44 pm

Both rear door wiring harnesses are shot! Time to pull it all apart and redo the wiring. Anybody have any advice on how to prevent it from happening again too soon after I rewire the whole thing?

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Buy new connnectors and rewire it with qualiy wire? :(

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:27 pm

Mine has also broke 3x, d-side rear door. PITFA !!!

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:05 pm

Mule wrote:Buy new connnectors and rewire it with qualiy wire? :(
Does anyone know if the connectors are even available I was not able to find them?
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:54 pm

As much as I use my rear doors. Mine have never broken. :D
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:05 pm

coder wrote:
Mule wrote:Buy new connnectors and rewire it with qualiy wire? :(
Does anyone know if the connectors are even available I was not able to find them?
Yes, they are. This is the entire unit---both plugs, wire & rubber accordion hose. Unplug, replug, done. Part # 5605 1694 AA -001 . Not sure what i paid, i want to say $180 but i really cant remember. I have not installed the part yet. I keep having old one spliced back together.

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Tue May 03, 2016 12:47 pm

Seems like a reasonable price for two connectors and less than a yard(meter for you boys up North) :) of 12-14 ga wire. NOT!
http://www.factorymoparparts.net/oe-mopar/56051694aa

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:48 pm

:mrgreen: Just spliced my rear door wiring harnesses for the last time! Talk about a Frankenstein set up. I have connected, soldered, taped, shrink wrapped and bubble gummed those damn wires together too many times. Just bit the bullet and ordered two from Amazon @ $117.00 each. Part # 56051694AA :rockon:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:05 pm

Well they are priced at $113.75 in your link above from mopar :poke: . You could have saved big :lol:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:15 pm

olyelr wrote:Well they are priced at $113.75 in your link above from mopar :poke: . You could have saved big :lol:
Amazon prime = free shipping. :mrgreen: