HUGE NEWS!!!!!!

Wheeling trips, camping trips, meet-ups, a night out boozing, etc.
gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

HUGE NEWS!!!!!!

Post by gun45boat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:43 pm

The trip that I have had to postpone for the last 1.5 years, is FINALLY going to happen. Last of the minute of course!!!!!! But it is official.... Leaving this Saturday Sept 28th FOR 6 WEEKS!!!!!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: Headed through Texas from Florida, to hit Colorado for the Alpine Loop/ Telluride/ Pikes Peak/ then off to Moab to do EVERY trail INCLUDING the BFE trails/ then off to The Rubicon Trail for a week then I am getting together with James from Copperheads Fabrication to hit up the KOH trails (off season) / then up to do the Death Valley trails/ then up to do Fordyce Creek. Then coming back to the east coast I will be hitting up the badlands in North Dakota then home....

I built this truck to do this trip, and have had to put it off for 1.5 years (called the trip off 4 times so far!!!!) But this time, IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!! 6 weeks!!!!!

So fucking stoked!!!!!!!!! Should I do a "on-going" trail report on this forum? or just do it over at the Expedition Portal. If nobody cares, then I wont waste my time.

Off to start packing the truck, and to get all my affairs in order to be gone for so long.

Thanks again for all the support in the forum during the build, I cant wait to see if this rig can handle the abuse that I am going to throw at it for the next 7 weeks!!!!!!!!!!! :lockedandloaded: :lockedandloaded: :lockedandloaded: :lockedandloaded:

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Re: HUGE NEWS!!!!!!

Post by FirerescuePW » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:55 pm

That's awesome! I'm glad the stars all aligned for you! Of course we would be interested in reading about the trip. You decide the best way to keep us informed, and we will follow. Just let us know what you will do so we know where to look. Of course, here would be best for many of us, but several are EXPO members, too.

Good luck! I bet most of us wish we could just disappear for 6 weeks to go wheeling. I know I do!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:41 pm

When do you think, time frame, that you will be in Moab? Maaaybe I'll stop by.....

sent from the 609 using this Tapatalk4 beta7 shit
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:10 pm

That's awesome! I want a full daily detailed report with trail names, good eateries, places to stay, places to see! Man I'm excited and I'm not even going. Oh yeah lots of pics!

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:28 pm

The Alpine Loop has already had snow, so check ahead prior to heading out. We had to wait a few days for it to open a couple years ago in early Oct. Have some alternate plans if possible. The Uncompahgre National Forest or San Juan National Forest should have info on the route, but the gas station in Lake City is the best option for current info.

Sent via gigawatt laser...
I'm just along for the ride...

BlkWgn
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BlkWgn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:37 pm

I dont know that I will be able to run any of them, but let me know when you are going to do the Hammers. It is only about 45 min from me
My new photography site - BlkWgn Photography http://blkwgn.smugmug.com

2006 Dodge Power Wagon production number 44 - Mercenary Offroad Prototype Bumper - Toyo 35 MT - Caril Springs - Carli Track Bar - Thuren Overland Shocks - Carli Front Diff Guard - RockCrusher Rear Diff Guard - Airflow Snorkel - Locker Bypass - Leer shell w/Roof Rack and 125w Solar Panel - and an empty wallet
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro (For Sale)

Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer[/color]

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/sh ... agon-Build

American Adventurist - http://www.americanadventurist.com

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:48 am

Will Do. I should be in Moab by October 17th and will be there for 2 weeks running EVERY trail including BFE, I will be camping the WHOLE TIME, and just going into town for misc items about every 4 to 5 days for fuel. I will be at James' shop (copperhead Fabrication) by November 1st to hit the KOH trails. I would enjoy wheeling with other PW's while on this trip. I will be at The Rubicon Trail by November 5th.

I know I am pushing the Alpine loop with the snow, but with the timing of the trip, I have to take my chances, If I dont go now, then I will have to wait till April/May of next year, and even then, I might not be able to make it. So I have to take my chances, and just go for it with the time allowed. This is a boyhood dream for me (other than sleeping with a playboy bunny:):) , and I cant believe I am finally going to get this off my bucket list(the trip,,,,not the playboy bunnyLOL)!!!!!!

I will start a thread here (not the Expo forum) and update as much as I can when I can find signal. my phone number is 407-310-9412 if anyone wants to catch up over the many trails I will be hitting up across the country..

THanks again for everything, And I will start the travel thread on Thursday. CHEERS!!!!!!!!!

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:43 am

Sweet and that is an awesome bucket list! Maybe you will get lucky and find a playboy bunny while on your travels and get both checked off! At least a snow bunny lol! Have a great time and hopefully the truck has minimal problems and easy fixes. Gonna be a trip of a lifetime no matter what!

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:53 am

April/May is a no go for anything high in Colorado - most of the trails don't open until the end of June at the earliest. Usually it's cleared by the 4th of July, and even at that, the snow is still deep - 20 feet deep in spots. The photo attached was taken on June 19th of '09, one of the earliest openings of the Loop.

Just remember that the exposure up there is two fold - literally thousands of feet of drop off and steep angles, weather and temps that can change in minutes.

You'll be traveling solo as we do, so make sure you inform someone local of your intentions, and check in and out with them if possible. In our case we were staying in the Creede area, so we did the loop from the Lake City side. We checked in and out with the gas station in Lake City. That serves two purposes - our safety, and they get a current report on conditions. We left Lake City at 9:00 AM in 40 deg weather, and it started snowing shortly after leaving town. The roads turned to snow at roughly 11000', and stayed in it all the way around from there to the east side of Cinnamon Pass. Most of the trip was fun, but with a 40 to 50 MPH wind above the tree line, that part wasn't pleasant. Got back to the gas station at 4:00 PM or so.

The rig we were in was a full on rock crawler - caged, dual spooled, 209:1 geared Toyota. It got spooky in that little bugger on the ice - spools are without a doubt the best traction you can get, but with no opportunity to turn'm on or off, ice becomes a challenge. We ran 8 PSI across the top on a set of brand new old style MT/R's, and they did fine. The ledges were nasty, but the switchbacks worse - a front spool won't allow tires to turn much...

I hope you get the opportunity to do it, but be aware of the danger involved. I have had a lot of snow wheelin' experience, and this pushed me to the limits. If you aren't very, very well versed in snow, I'd seriously reconsider it if they tell you it's open but snow packed, or the weather indicates snow is possible.

Mark
Attachments
Engineer Pass 2.jpg

BigRed2007
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by BigRed2007 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 am

Looks like an awesome trip.

Let me know if you need a place to stay in Colorado Springs or a second truck for anything around Colorado Springs.
Flame Red 07 PW - BIG RED
White Knuckle Offroad Rock Sliders, Volant Intake, LightForce 210 HID x2, HiLift Mounted on Tool Box, Locker Bypass, OBA - EXTREMAIRE Magnum, High Idle, 315/70/17 MTR/Ks, ARB Front Bumper, Synthetic Winch Rope, 3000 Watt Inverter, Carli Performance 2.0 Front end and rear shocks, DT PROFAB Steering brace and Steering Stabilizer,Carli Front Diff Gaurd, 12v Fridge Freezer, Dual Optima Yellow Tops, AirFlow Snorkle, Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe, 2x50W Solar Panels, DOR Control Arms.

KE0BZG
WQUY939

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Damn better put those doors back on your truck lol

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:12 pm

Mark, A HUGE thanks for the heads up. I do have some snow experience, but not the best. I also will be sporting an EPIRB (aka: Spot transmitter) on the run the entire time. It has Check in (GPS coordinates) and the SOS button that will sent a distress signal to any/all local authorities upon activation, It is a mobile unit, and I can wear it around my arm, during the many hikes I will be doing. I figured it was a good investment if I was going to be doing all this stupid shit by myself. Thanks again for the heads up on the information stations along the way, I am sure I will be using your advice doing the AL. Thanks again!! :)

BigRed. Thanks for the offer, I will be doing Pikes Peak at some point, If I am near Colorado Springs, I will def. give you a call (drop me your number on a PM)

Thanks again for all the advice..

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:23 pm

Hey 05. Wouldnt that be some shit... Doing my cross country trip, AND get laid by some random playboy bunny:):):):):) I like the way you think!!!!!!!!!!! Knock 2 birds out with 1 stone:):):) After this trip the PW will be for sale, and I will go ahead and get into my next sport (flying) as I will be using the funds from the sale of the PW to buy a Cessna Amphibious airplane (I just finished my pilot license training course and as of 3 days ago, I FINNALLY got all my flight hours in to finish the course. STOKED....

wingerak92
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by wingerak92 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:27 pm

Keep trail maps of your ND trails! I'm up in Saskatchewan, although it is about 3-4+ hours for me to get to the badlands! I do believe.
2012 SAGEBRUSH POWER WAGON SLT
Aluminess Front Bumper, Air Raid Intake, Auxiliary Switches, Hooker Aerochamber Muffler, Stock size Duratracs on Stock Wheels for winters.... For now....

Fireman78
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Fireman78 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:39 am

Looking forward to trip report, regardless of which forum. If you get in a bind there are lots of dudes along your route that can lend a hand. (or a beer). Just sayin. I'm in the Albuquerque area.
Enjoy this life, cause it's all we're getting.

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:05 am

For sale don't do it. Flying would be a rush I bet! Damn just put the new engine in her. Going to be tough to get your money out of that bad boy. Would love to have it but gotta have a 4 door to fit everyone in it. If I had the cash it would be in my garage for sure. Have a great time on your trip and I will enjoy keeping up with this Expedition. Hell yeah 2 birds with one stone. Gotta believe!!!!!!

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:48 am

For sure. Yes, I will never get the money out of the build, but it is a tax deduction, as it is a "company Vehicle" So whatever loss I take from it, will be fine. Nobody EVER recovers the money they put into building a buggy/truggy/rig. It is all a loss. But the memories, and the good times had in the rig, makes up for the money lost. I have been eyeballing a Cessna 185 amphibious plane to keep at the lakehouse. But I wanted to get this big trip off my bucket list before I switch gears and get into my flying adventures.

Last year, I took my family (wife and 2 kids) out west in the RV for 9 weeks, and we did EVERY national Park west of the Mississippi. It was an EPIC adventure..... We rented a Heep in different areas like Moab and Death Valley, and the Badlands and the sierra's to scope out the hardcore trails for my next adventure, just to make sure I was ready to pull this off with the Dodge I was building. Bless my wife's heart for letting me disappear for 6 weeks to do this trip.. She is a stay at home Mom, and that is the ONLY way I could pull this off.

Bucket List:
1) Hitting up all the hardcore trails west of the Mississippi in a built expedition type buggy including: Moab, The Rubicon Trail, Fordyce Creek, Alpine Loop, Area BFE, The Badlands, The high Sierra's, Death Valley, Pikes Peak, With massive amounts of Hiking, and ROck Climbing (with Ropes) for 6 to 8 weeks BY MYSELF>>>>>> to get away from the hectic life of running a company, answering over 100+ phone calls a day, meetings, schedules, deadlines, dealing with many employee issues, the stresses of work, I feel like I always am doing things for other people... SO I feel that it is MY turn to do something for myself, to get away from it all, turn off my cell phone, get away from computers, distance myself from people in general, do some hunting, fishing, hiking, climbing, writting, and photography, and riding my mountain bike, and do the best 4x4 trails that this great country has to offer:)

2) (Get my pilots license) Buy an amphibious Airplane (at least a 4 to 6 seater with plenty of storage room for surfboards etc.) And Go on huge andventures to the islands to include The Grenadine's, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Galapigos(sp), the the many islands scattered off the beautiful coasts of Alaska, Canada etc. To be able to land in the water, and nose the plane up on shore, and camp out and go surfing at the most remote destinations in the world..

3) Climb Mount Rainier before I turn 40 years old!!!! (My Dad summited Mount Rainier when he was 42, SO I do want to fallow his footsteps..)

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Cactus REd, That photo you posted is my new Desktop photo on my Computer... Great Shot!!!!!!!!!!

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:31 pm

That's just east of the summit of Engineer Pass - less than a 1/4 mile from the sign.

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:51 pm

I hope to follow in your footsteps...... Thanks for the picture.

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:28 pm

Good luck on your adventure tomorrow!

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:13 pm

Hope everything is going great. Be careful huge storm heading by you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Hope everything is going great. Be careful huge storm heading by you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model Year: 2006

Post by AceMan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:11 pm

That is awesome news. And sorry for responding so late. Hope you enjoy the trip. Definitely get some vids and pictures! :D