2nd/3rd/4th TIPM Failure!!!!

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Hilldweller
50_Posts
50_Posts

2nd/3rd/4th TIPM Failure!!!!

Post by Hilldweller » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:57 pm

:doh:

It's at the dealership, the PW-specific TIPM is back-ordered, and I'm VOR until they can get one.

The first failure was back in January with about 19K miles on it. Now it's got just under 28K miles; it turned one year old in April.

I'm not feeling very confident in the long-term reliability of the truck right now. I wouldn't want to have to buy a TIPM if the next failure is after the warranty is out...

Edit to thread title 2/14/14
Last edited by Hilldweller on Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Safety fast,
Bill

2011 Power Wagon: When only the fastest-depreciating, least reliable, fuel-thirstiest, oversized beast will do.

Cactus Red

Re: 2nd TIPM Failure

Post by Cactus Red » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Bill, this is the first one I've heard of failing. I haven't kept up with the 4th Gen truck - is it common?
I'm just along for the ride...

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

2nd TIPM Failure

Post by ldgregory » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:20 pm

I've got an 05 and we don't have TPM. Is the TPIM the management module for the whole system or are you talking about the sensors in the tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk over a 300 baud Racal-Vadic Acoustically Coupled Modem.
2005 Dodge Power Wagon #9-05-0536

Join the Power Wagon Registry

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:
Wetsuit/BC drying hanger, high idle, black badges

Hilldweller
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hilldweller » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Totally Integrated Power Module ---- not sure if failure is common but I do know that the module is specific to the vehicle and can't be stolen from a donor on the lot.

There must be something in the wiring that is causing the failure. I'd like to hope that they'll try to find it.
Maybe a short somewhere, bad ground, something in the build.
Safety fast,
Bill

2011 Power Wagon: When only the fastest-depreciating, least reliable, fuel-thirstiest, oversized beast will do.

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

2nd TIPM Failure

Post by ldgregory » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Ohhhh, duh. Sorry. Don't know why I got the TPM system mixed up with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk over a 300 baud Racal-Vadic Acoustically Coupled Modem.

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:28 pm

So, are we talking about the computer ? Or are we talking about something else electrical that sends/gives power/12v electricity to the truck. Names are changing all the time.

Hilldweller
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hilldweller » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:55 am

Sorta a smart relay box ---- the days of fuses and normal connections are done.
OEs want to discourage the shadetree mechanic, simple mods & repairs, inexpensive living...
Safety fast,
Bill

qbert1963

Post by qbert1963 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Just came over from the other site, thanks for the invite. Wow that really sux, all I can say is good luck. Figures they don't want us to do anything to OUR trucks. One more reason not to ever sell my 2005 I guess.

Hilldweller
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hilldweller » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:48 am

I want/need to be able to trust this truck long-term; we go to some remote areas and are off the grid sometimes for extended periods.

This thing has failed twice in rapid succession ---- I'm hoping that Mother Chrysler will extend the warranty on the component in good faith...
Safety fast,
Bill

Hilldweller
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hilldweller » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:19 am

It's been a week and no word.
So I called the dealer yesterday and ask, "any news on the replacement TIPM or what caused the two failures?"
They say, "No; sorry."
I suggest that they check everything electrical for corrosion, shorts, wonky relays ---- it's under warranty and it should concern them a bit. They say "okay".

Thinking of down the road, I've already spoken with Chrysler and can get a super-duper deal on a new vehicle. Chrysler Customer Care does seem to care. But since it's not lemon-lawed and is being handled under warranty, it's up to a dealer for a trade value.
So I ask my dealer to assess the trade. It's a 2011 PW, loaded except for nav and sunroof, maintained but used a little seriously. A few bumps, bruises, light pinstriping. Almost 28K miles. Has a new 90 foot 7/16" Amsteel Blue winchline, 295 Cooper STTs, Undercover tonneau cover.
Their figure for trade was $21K.

:jawdrop:

Sticker was $49,500 just 14 months ago.

I'm really really thinking of an Unlimited Rubicon; I'm finding the towing capacity and storage of the PW to be wonderful but I don't like the overall size when I'm offroad. I can't go to the places I used to go with the Jeep. And the gas mileage sucks donkey.
But please, Cherokee Chrysler Jeep/Dodge/Ram ---- mercy sakes. Don't insult me and ask me to smile at you.
Jeez.
Last edited by Hilldweller on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Safety fast,
Bill

bones
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2013

Post by bones » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:13 am

Hilldweller wrote:Their figure for trade was $21K.

:jawdrop:

Sticker was $49,500 just 16 months ago.
yikes, find another dealer! I got $19,500 for my 2005.
2013 Laramie Power Wagon - current
2012 PW - gone
2005 PW - gone
2012 JD 1026R Tractor/Loader/Backhoe
2008 Avenger R/T (Chrysler 200,000 mile club)
'16 Polaris Sportsman Touring XP 1000
'03 Kawasaki Prairie 650

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:34 pm

:rant: Dealers used to just make money on the new vehicle. Now, they want to rape you on the new vehicle AND rape you on the trade as well. They could make an easy $10,000 on your used wagon, IMHO. :rant:

Hilldweller
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hilldweller » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 pm

TwinStick wrote::rant: Dealers used to just make money on the new vehicle. Now, they want to rape you on the new vehicle AND rape you on the trade as well. They could make an easy $10,000 on your used wagon, IMHO. :rant:
Well, they're not going to cause they're not getting it.

If I were to trade right now I'd use a better dealership like Fields in Northfield, IL. Pat O'Donnell has been a friend to the Jeep community for a while. Forgive the quick plug but he's a good guy.

I think the PW stays unless something strange happens.
But the way things are going, it might just go lemon law. There's no TIPM in sight.
Safety fast,
Bill

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:31 pm

You should not have to make payments on a truck you can not drive. :box: I'm just sayin.

Hilldweller
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hilldweller » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:48 am

TwinStick wrote:You should not have to make payments on a truck you can not drive. :box: I'm just sayin.
:lol: I'm not.
I bought the truck cash.
But it would be nice if they "rented" it from me while it was down...

I went to the dealer on Saturday to visit the truck; it looked sad out in the lot. Unused and unloved.
My service writer and mechanic were both off; the other service writer looked up the part and saw that 170 were ordered and 160 were shipped. Not sure if I'm a lucky one yet or not.

12 days off the road on this round so far. It was a week off the road back in January.
I'm driving the wife's FIAT 500 ---- I like the little car, it's fun, but it's the size of a box of baking soda and I'm 6'5". It's making me a little mental...
Safety fast,
Bill

Hilldweller
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hilldweller » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:29 pm

I spoke with my SA and he's got tracking info on my TIPM; it should arrive tomorrow morning! :rockon:

I'm still concerned over what is causing the failures though and called Ram Customer Care ---- Steve from RCC called my dealer, spoke with the SA, and they're sending out an engineering query to the field to see if other dealerships have encountered this sort of thing before. I had mentioned swaybar electronics and the grease that's recommended and they said not to pay too much attention to the interwebs...

I'm trying to get them to extend the warranty on the item. The 36,000 mile warranty on the electronics will run out in a few months; I usually put about 25K miles a year. The part itself will have a 12K mile warranty from the dealer.

Man, I miss my truck.
Safety fast,
Bill

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Why didn't you buy the Dodge factory Maxi Care (like a bumper to bumper) unlimited mileage lifetime warranty?

Most dealers will not offer or even sell it because it limits their compensation to the factory reimbursement rates. Mine was about $1700 but that was in 2009.

Chrysler Lifetime Warranty

2007 and newer Chrysler vehicles could qualify for a Lifetime Powertrain warranty or upgrade to a full bumper-to-bumper Lifetime warranty. Viper, all SRT vehicles, Sprinter, Ram Cab/Chassis, diesel equipped vehicles and some non-personel use vehicles are excluded.

http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/

http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/lifetime_warranty.cfm
My build 2009 3G
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2305

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf
David Rockefeller: Memoirs (The story of traitors)
http://www.devvy.com/pdf/2006_November/ ... rnment.pdf

Hilldweller
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hilldweller » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:06 am

azracer wrote:Why didn't you buy the Dodge factory Maxi Care (like a bumper to bumper) unlimited mileage lifetime warranty?
I may just do that now.

I'll speak to them about getting one at a discount if I think I'm going to keep the truck. Right now I have a little of a bad taste in my mouth due to the double failure and 3 weeks downtime.

I'd really like them to extend the warranty on that item in good faith.

Then again, I might just get rid of the truck. I usually don't keep vehicles very long ---- but was thinking of keeping this one and doing a 4WheelCamper on it...
Safety fast,
Bill

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:47 am

Hilldweller wrote:I'd really like them to extend the warranty on that item in good faith.

Don't know about GA, but in CA the law says that the warranty on a repair is extened from the mi./date that is was done on.
2005 Power Wagon

Hilldweller
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hilldweller » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:49 am

cruz wrote:
Hilldweller wrote:I'd really like them to extend the warranty on that item in good faith.

Don't know about GA, but in CA the law says that the warranty on a repair is extened from the mi./date that is was done on.
I'm getting 12 month/12,000 mile from the dealer. That takes me to almost 40K miles ---- which will be reached long before the truck turns 2 years old.
Safety fast,
Bill

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

2nd TIPM Failure

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:21 am

Hmmmm, this really has me thinking about buying an extended warranty. I need my truck for work and put on close to 50,000 km per year. I REALLY like this truck and would love to keep it for 4 or 5 years. But that would have me up to 200,000 km and waayyyy past warranty.
Loving my 3/4 ton version of my old Jeep TJ!!!!!

Hilldweller
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hilldweller » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:00 am

SA just called and the TIPM wasn't on the first delivery truck at the dealership this morning.

[bumming.on]
Safety fast,
Bill

Hilldweller
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hilldweller » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:18 pm

[/bumming.off]
SA just called again and the new TIPM is installed and everything's working.
They checked for shorts, checked the swaybar control box, checked everything they could think of. They just think I had two bad TIPMs in a row...

:excited: I'm getting my truck back.
Safety fast,
Bill

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:36 pm

WOOHOO!!!! Awesome news! :rockon:
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

2nd TIPM Failure

Post by ldgregory » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Congrats! May that be the last trouble you have for a long while.

Next Mods: