SimonandSimonBeast Build

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Re: SimonandSimonBeast Build

Post by ghaugo » Sat May 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Those look great! Nice work.
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sat May 02, 2020 4:31 pm

Don't you know all blankets are for dogs???

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sat May 02, 2020 4:41 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:Don't you know all blankets are for dogs???

I was just saying that to my wife....lol.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

:rockon: :chug:

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sat May 02, 2020 4:44 pm

Thanks guys. I had to mow the grass first...so here's beer #1, and a toast to Neil for working through the Corona...virus.Image

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sat May 02, 2020 8:01 pm

Lookin' good. :rockon:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sat May 02, 2020 8:29 pm

RustyPW wrote:Lookin' good. :rockon:
Thanks brother! It was one of those jobs that was tough single handed, but once in a groove you realize someone else would be in the way.

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sat May 02, 2020 11:26 pm

Do those sliders require drilling of the frame, or do they clamp on like White Knuckle sliders?

'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sun May 03, 2020 12:58 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:Do those sliders require drilling of the frame, or do they clamp on like White Knuckle sliders?

Clamp on. 4 connection points per slider. The flanges of the "legs" go flush to the frame. 2 grade 8 bolts per leg sandwich the frame with a plate that goes behind the frame. Bolts go above and below the frame. Here's a couple more pics... ImageImage

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sat May 09, 2020 1:55 am

The trackbar is not intended to center the axle. The length of the trackbar must be set with the cool springs and bump stops removed and the frame set on the axle. If you lengthen the trackbar too much you will have physical collision between frame and axle components, generally the trackbar bracket and the coil bucket, but if you lengthened it 1.5” I’d like to see the interesting pictures you might have to share if there are other things that decide to self clearance. 39-1/8” is roughly the safest production length the bar can be. You can adjust it slightly for an individual truck, but not by much.

It is also important to note that centering of the axle does not have an important role in alignment and straightness of driving. The axle would have to be WAY out to have an effect on these things.

I really dig the Maple sliders :) I keep seeing them improving, it’s wonderful what can be done when a company focuses on a single platform.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sat May 09, 2020 12:13 pm

At ride height it measures just about 39.75" bolt center to bolt center. So, 5/8" longer than Thuren recommendation. This brought the axle over a bit but not totally centered. It looks more like where everything sat when I first installed everything. I'll have to put it through some rigors to see if I get any clearance issues.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sat May 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Derrrr...I just realized I didn't need to say "at ride height". Let's just say it is 39.75". Lol.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sat May 09, 2020 12:22 pm

The centering of the axle will always depend on the height of the frame over the axle, so if you see the truck on a slope or with different weight distribution it will change the position of the axle. If you had everything installed and drove it and on level ground you knew where the axle was, and then later on with no major changes to anything the axle was suddenly way out, I would absolutely inspect every part affecting the trackbar to make sure things are healthy. The new trucks got an entirely new frame mount because the previous years had some break the welds and shear off.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sat May 09, 2020 1:20 pm

I was sort of thinking the same thing, but neither me or my mechanic found anything.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sun May 10, 2020 8:14 pm

One other thing I should have mentioned is that at regular ride height, my 37"x13.5" on 17"x 9" +20 mm offset rims were rubbing pretty hard on the passenger side swaybar at full lock. Since the adjustment, there is ZERO rubbing at normal ride height on anything. I don't have info when articulated, but that is pretty good news.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri May 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Maple skid plate on the way. Just ordered Abel's locker bypass.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:33 am

This was a wiring weekend. Installed a Uniden CB radio. Finally got the ARB switch wired into the cab. I had it temporarily wired up under the hood. Nestled it in right next to the CB. Also installed the Abel Components locker bypass. They lock immediately regardless of what drive I'm in.ImageImage

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:59 am

So, a little feedback from real world testing at Rausch Creek last weekend. The Uniden CMX 760 Bearcat with Firestik combination worked really well. Everybody came in really clear and as I understand it my transmissions went out clear. My wiring was 18' Firering, Firestick offset pocket mount, Firestik spring and 3' Adjustable tip Firestik. I barely knew the antenna was there going through brush and low branches. This mount sneaks out under my tonneau cover A lot I read stated don't install it in the front stake pocket, but that is where I have it. I used an in line SWR meter to tune the antenna which tuned really easy. I can't speak to long range, but for trail running convoy it was great. I also installed a Magnetic Mic mount. It did its job, although the magnet is a bit strong for my liking.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by SimonandSimonBeast on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:02 am

Regarding the Abel Components Locker Bypass. It was flawless. Everything turned on and off immediately. Now I have to think about his swaybar disconnect bypass. There were several occasions I ran in 4WD in order to keep the swaybar disconnected where I would have preferred to be in 2WD to cut down on binding around turns.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:15 am

Thuren Trackbar. Well, I will probably get a lot of I-told-you-sos on here, but I prefer to be transparent for educational purposes. Now it won't be for what the concerns were about suspension collisions. I had none of that as far as I know. What I did have was a failure at the heim threads. Luckily it was late on day 2 while we were heading out. The heim ripped out of the bar. Amazingly I was able to limp it off the trail and back to camp which included some careful highway time. My other failure was in reading the fine detail of Thuren's instructions. 39 & 1/8" is a starting point and the bar can be shortened or lengthen some if needed. However, there is a statement about not going over 39 & 3/8". As I found out, this is to ensure enough threads are inserted, in addition to the potential for suspension collisions. I had a great group who jumped to it at camp to help remove and get the bar to grab some good threads for the ride home. Coincidentally, we were able to get it to 39 & 3/8" and it works well there. That said I have a new Thuren bar ordered at 10% off after discussing w/ Chris. I will be setting it at 39 & 3/8".
ImageImage
Last edited by SimonandSimonBeast on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:44 am

37" x 13.5" Toyos on a 4th gen leaf sprung truck. For the most part it made it over a lot of obstacles on aggressive blue trails, without even touching in some cases. However, I found out that the rear tires rubbed severely on the front of the rear fender well. This was typically on uphill runs where the weigh is shifted back and where the terrain is severely undulating causing one tire to drop way down while the other is stuffed to the max (who said leaf springs are not flexy?). The axle swings forward on the axle being stuffed. This caused my fender flares to be ripped off, one of my plastic fender well to be ripped off and more importantly my metal body work was being deformed and cutting into my outer tread blocks. Image This is OK because this was really a test run. I've been on more mild trails and obstacle before with no issue. I needed this event to test the truck out in more severe conditions. I have already set in motion for the body to be fixed and rear axle mod to be put in place. Pics and write-up to come.

Oh, and by the way, ZERO rub in the front where I was expecting it.

ImageImage
Last edited by SimonandSimonBeast on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:55 am

Maple Off-road sliders held up well. Lots of scratches, particularly on the kick-outs as expected. I believe the kick-outs saved my rear rims on a couple of occasions. Others in the group were running OE Mopar rails on the 3rd gens, and WKO on late model. All held up well. I could definitely notice a difference on the tight squeezes where the single bar Mopar rails slipped through those spots easier than the Maple or WKO with the outer tube. When purchasing these, I had considered requesting them to be customized to be 1" wider to make for a better step. I am now glad I didn't do that. It makes a difference. BTW I have a can of the same paint Neil uses for post trail running to pretty them up and keep rust at bay. Sherwin Williams Epoxy Tricorn Black. Note the Maple Offroad label all but gone...

Last edited by SimonandSimonBeast on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:56 am

Purple Cranium Poison Spider diff guards. Man, I gave these a beating. They held up well, even after being imbedded in a stump on a downhill run. I had to be winched off from behind...thanks RustyPW. Also, made use of the Factor 55 hitch recovery with 6.5 ton bow shackle. I was jammed on that thing, which brings up the downside. I believe this mainly due to the intricate but cool looking spider shaped bars. I think if a went with Carli, Maple or Rock Crusher on the front it may have deflected vs imbedding. That is what I get for wanting to be matchy-matchy.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:34 am

Sorry you had troubles, but it’s awesome that you’re out there putting the truck through it’s paces and using it as intended. If you have the wherewithal to do so, replacing the leaf springs with either carli or thuren packs will put the axle where it should be to not rub, and you’ll gain some performance and improved ride quality. Thurens long travel leafs are magic carpet ride time. Love the truck, thanks for the updates
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:24 am

Colibri wrote:Sorry you had troubles, but it’s awesome that you’re out there putting the truck through it’s paces and using it as intended. If you have the wherewithal to do so, replacing the leaf springs with either carli or thuren packs will put the axle where it should be to not rub, and you’ll gain some performance and improved ride quality. Thurens long travel leafs are magic carpet ride time. Love the truck, thanks for the updates
My fix is on the same page as your suggestion, but retaining stock springs. I imagine the Thuren springs are sweet, but I wanted to maintain the load capacity. Wait and see...I think you will like what I came up with. Well, let's say me and Jeff Daniel's Jeep came up with. His shop is practically on my doorstep. He has fork-lifts and RTI ramps to test the suspension under compression as he dials it in. Maybe I'll get an RTI ramp index score from him while I am at it. Pics to come...1st of July!

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:15 pm

Can’t wait! Love to see outside the box thinking
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol