Randy Ellis Design Sleekster "Rock Sliders"?

ScubaSteve
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Randy Ellis Design Sleekster "Rock Sliders"?

Post by ScubaSteve » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am

Has anyone seen these sliders in action or have any idea what level of protection they actually provide?

https://www.randyellisdesign.com/store/ ... K3405.html

My brother and I were talking about rock sliders on our Wagons the other day and he had mentioned these rocker mounted sliders that didn't hang below the cab like the White Knuckle or any other traditional slider would. I know that Jeeps (as mentioned in the store page) have had these types of sliders for a very long time, but they are such light vehicles compared to a full size like our Power Wagons. I like the lines and prefer the clearance they provide, but don't know whether they would hold up if and when I truly need them. The only other consideration would be the way they hug the rocker and the possibility of promoting rust.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: Randy Ellis Design Sleekster "Rock Sliders"?

Post by Bill2014 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:41 am

ScubaSteve wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am
Has anyone seen these sliders in action or have any idea what level of protection they actually provide?

My brother and I were talking about rock sliders on our Wagons the other day and he had mentioned these rocker mounted sliders that didn't hang below the cab like the White Knuckle or any other traditional slider would. I know that Jeeps (as mentioned in the store page) have had these types of sliders for a very long time, but they are such light vehicles compared to a full size like our Power Wagons. I like the lines and prefer the clearance they provide, but don't know whether they would hold up if and when I truly need them. The only other consideration would be the way they hug the rocker and the possibility of promoting rust.
Body Mounted not frame mounted :doh:
rivoted on :doh:
they don't double as a step :doh:
no kickout on the rear :doh:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

ScubaSteve
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by ScubaSteve » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:16 am

That was my first thought, Bill. But, the whole purpose of my question was to see if anyone knew how they actually performed being body mounted rather than frame mounted (a la Jeep), as I have my doubts as well. :doh: Synergy Manufacturing had their Cummins out at PWIM 2019, and it looked like they had a similar design (if my memory serves). Being as tall as the truck was on 40's, I don't know if they ever actually landed a rocker on anything.

As far as doubling as step, you can get a rub rail added on, dunno if that includes a kickout or not. Being riveted on doesn't really concern me from a strength standpoint any more than a clamp on rock slider from White Knuckle does. It cradles the bottom of the rocker, so the rivets really only hold it up and don't necessarily bear the weight of truck. I am pretty impressed with how stout the rockers and lower cab structure on these trucks appear to be, so I'm not totally ruling out the abilities of a rocker mounted slider.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:18 am

ScubaSteve wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am

As an owner of a Jeep, with mounted sliders, I can tell you they are misleading people with that statement. And I'm calling them on it.

The Jeep sliders are double mounted. Almost all of them are, I looked at a bunch. All are two-piece. They're not solely on the body as claimed. The upper section is attached to the body. The lower section mounts to the BODY TO FRAME MOUNTS. So they are technically attached to the frame and the body. The thing is, the Jeep's body doesn't move around like the truck does on the frame.

The cab on these trucks move. Go flex out on a rock with your sway bars locked.

Now I know a few guys running them, and they say they're fine and work. And maybe that is true.

But do you want sliders mounted to the body so the impact can be transferred there? If they do get damaged where is that damage going? And you can forget about removing them. They look fine. But the only reason I ever hear people give for these is LOOKS and "I'm getting more clearance"

No, you're not. You're going to bottom out on all the same things. Look at the skid plates under your truck. Smacking the slider doesn't matter. And it's not hindering you offroad. This is a made-up concern people who don't wheel come up with.

Final point, there are 18 holes on each side of the Jeep now. Can't take those off if I want to sell the Jeep. They're going with the Jeep. So if you install those, they're on there for good unless you intend on doing body work.

2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:19 pm

You could go full crazy jeepster with a plasma cutter and cut out your rocker panels and replace it with DOM tubing. Probably will have a minor impact on resale value...
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

ScubaSteve
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by ScubaSteve » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:09 pm

Not interested in cutting rockers. If I were doing that I would just boat side the truck with a full cage and be done with it. But that's not the purpose of rock sliders (to protect the rockers and surrounding sheet metal), nor my intent to turn my Wagon into a full blown trail rig. There is something to be said about clearance above the bottom of the frame rail for things extending out from the center line of the vehicle, otherwise people wouldn't boat side anything. Also having nerf bars on a trail quad has been a hindrance on many occasions for the same reason, so much so I've stopped running them. They don't hang below the bottom of the chassis, but the width ends up hanging them up on objects that come in from an angle.

The difference in this aspect between the White Knuckles and these Randy Ellis sliders may very well be negligible.

So far we have plenty of valid concerns and reservations regarding their implementation, but I work in a body shop and have seen these cabs get hit low in the rockers, and how they hold up in a collision. The sheet metal and reinforcements are pretty solid compared to some of the competition. With that in mind, to me, the idea of a rock slider mounting directly to the rocker and holding up under moderate use is not wholly unreasonable in theory. I'm just curious if anyone here has experience or witnessed this in practice. I have my own reservations about the idea of a rock slider clamping to the frame rather than the frame being plated, slider welded in, and gusseted, but in practice, it works well.

Mind you, my only interest in this proposed solution over the tried and true White Knuckle sliders is purely cosmetic. If I know they aren't going to hold up to anything, then that checks them off the list.
Last edited by ScubaSteve on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meathead177

Post by meathead177 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:25 pm

I'm interested in them since it looks like you can use them with the amp fold out steps. The amps are a necessity with a 5 foot tall wife and 37's!Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:38 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:09 pm
Not interested in cutting rockers. If I were doing that I would just boat side the truck with a full cage and be done with it. But that's not the purpose of rock sliders (to protect the rockers and surrounding sheet metal), nor my intent to turn my Wagon into a full blown trail rig. There is something to be said about clearance above the bottom of the frame rail for things extending out from the center line of the vehicle, otherwise people wouldn't boat side anything. Also having nerf bars on a trail quad has been a hindrance on many occasions for the same reason, so much so I've stopped running them. They don't hang below the bottom of the chassis, but the width ends up hanging them up on objects that come in from an angle.

The difference in this aspect between the White Knuckles and these Randy Ellis sliders may very well be negligible.

So far we have plenty of valid concerns and reservations regarding their implementation, but I work in a body shop and have seen these cabs get hit low in the rockers, and how they hold up in a collision. The sheet metal and reinforcements are pretty solid compared to some of the competition. With that in mind, to me, the idea of a rock slider mounting directly to the rocker and holding up under moderate use is not wholly unreasonable in theory. I'm just curious if anyone here has experience or witnessed this in practice. I have my own reservations about the idea of a rock slider clamping to the frame rather than the frame being plated, slider welded in, and gusseted, but in practice, it works well.

Mind you, my only interest in this proposed solution over the tried and true White Knuckle sliders is purely cosmetic. If I know they aren't going to hold up to anything, then that checks them off the list.
Buy bigger tires and pick better lines. :thppt:

I'm serious about this though. I smacked my sliders all the time on 35's. WAAAAAAY less on the 37's. Probably even less on 39's now.
-------
------

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

Shawn is the only one I know using them. He says they hold up. I've just never seen anyone drop their truck on them. I've seen our trucks take serious hits, including dropping the whole truck on White Knuckle sliders, many, many times.

Theories and opinions are nice. Real-world demonstrations matter more. If someone has these and comes to PWIM we could find some ways to test them.

You want to see White Knuckle Sliders take a hit, watch this starting at the 0:55 min mark
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

-------
------

OffroadTreks

Re: Randy Ellis Design Sleekster

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:45 pm

meathead177 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:25 pm
I'm interested in them since it looks like you can use them with the amp fold out steps. The amps are a necessity with a 5 foot tall wife and 37's!Image
You can. There are some guys who use them. I have 3 kids under 6. My white knuckles work fine as steps. Just saying.
-------
------

ScubaSteve
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by ScubaSteve » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:37 pm

OffroadTreks wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm
Shawn is the only one I know using them. He says they hold up. I've just never seen anyone drop their truck on them. I've seen our trucks take serious hits, including dropping the whole truck on White Knuckle sliders, many, many times.

Theories and opinions are nice. Real-world demonstrations matter more. If someone has these and comes to PWIM we could find some ways to test them.

You want to see White Knuckle Sliders take a hit, watch this starting at the 0:55 min mark
And this is what I'm requesting. Real world demonstrations and experience from those who have used them, refer to the original post. :thppt:

That said, I am at work and cannot watch the videos you posted currently, but I assume that it is your PWIM 19 video (which I have watched numerous times, great stuff), and I know exactly the moment you are talking about. A real credit to those WK sliders. I am under no delusion that the RED sliders would even hope to stand up to a hit that hard and come away unscathed, but I am still curious as to the feedback. As mentioned before, my interest is purely cosmetic on this subject. I just would like cleaner lines than the WK's.

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:16 pm

I had to get winched off an obstacle in 2018, and my sliders dragged a bunch of the rocks, as did several other people. Unlike me with stock 33s, the guy in front of me had 37s and no sliders and got through it without a huge amount of issues and with no damage. He was also vastly more experienced.

So basically, be really good at picking your approaches, manuvering through the obstacle and using the right amount of power and you don’t need sliders. But I’m not that guy.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:35 pm

I've hit hard enough to break 4 welds on a set of rock rails. :rockon: If I had something the Randy Ellis sliders. I would have been screwed. :cash:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:30 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:35 pm
I've hit hard enough to break 4 welds on a set of rock rails. :rockon: If I had something the Randy Ellis sliders. I would have been screwed. :cash:
Exactly. They probably work for basic mild use. But I'd rather have more protection than less just to gain some "ground clearance"
-------
------

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:09 pm

OffroadTreks wrote:
RustyPW wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:35 pm
Exactly. They probably work for basic mild use. But I'd rather have more protection than less just to gain some "ground clearance"
I've hit a rock so hard with my White Knuckle rock slider kick out that it A) broke the rock and B) nearly threw me off one hell of a ledge. Attachment method aside... without that kickout I woulda had major body damage at least twice I can think of.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:22 pm

OP as you well know, rock rail sLiders are designed for specific function, if cosmeTics are your major concern that is fine but just realize you will sacrifice much of that function, it is really your call.
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker assembly & sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads