Working on an Electric Sway Bar Bypass

Retired BLM Rig products
Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Working on an Electric Sway Bar Bypass

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:26 pm

As some of you know, I've been working on a way to control the sway bar disconnect to liberate it from the nannies that constrain it and give the driver full control to make it work when they want, rather than when the truck allows. It's nice that Ram permits it to work in 4Hi and 4Lo, but what about those times when you're traveling down a nice dirt road and you don't need 4WD. My main complaint has been with the 18 MPH speed limit that causes it to reconnect. There have been lots of times that I could've enjoyed a softer ride at 25-30 MPH if it would stay disconnected.

I realize that there are already options out there for manual, air and cable controlled SmartBars, but at this point no one has come up with a simple electric system that can be controlled from the drivers seat. What if you don't want to plumb an OBA system into your truck or you don't want to have to crawl under your truck each time you need to disconnect/reconnect? Well, suffice it to say that those days are behind me now and I'm working on a plug and play solution that will make it available for you too.

The first prototype that I was working on is just a simple adapter plate that outlines the shape of the SmartBar module and holds the new electric actuator and is controlled by a rocker switch.

Elec. S.B.1.JPG
Prototype 1.0 adapter plate installed on sway bar
Elec. S.B.1.JPG (17.77 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
Elec. S.B.2.JPG
Prototype 1.0 adapter plate and actuator
Elec. S.B.2.JPG (15.51 KiB) Viewed 10106 times

The only problem is, you still need to have the SmartBar module plugged into the truck to maintain locker function, so it would need to be relocated out of the way (mounted to the frame, zip tied to the crossmember or tucked up out of the way in the engine bay). However, one of our members (Oilbrnr) suggested incorporating a mounting bracket into the adapter plate, which has resulted in prototype 2.0.

IMG_2370.JPG
Prototype 2.0 adapter plate installed on sway bar
IMG_2370.JPG (20.22 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
IMG_2373.JPG
New actuator installed
IMG_2373.JPG (19.6 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
IMG_2374.JPG
SmartBar module mounted to bracket
IMG_2374.JPG (20.24 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
As I stated earlier, this would be a standalone, plug and play bypass that is not controlled by the factory switch but from a separate rocker switch. There are still some hurdles to overcome like...
  • Keeping the exposed end of the factory SmartBar module protected from the elements
  • Finding the right switch to use (most modern indicator light switches use an LED which is polarity sensitive, but this system is reverse polarity; ground trigger, positive indicator signal) I need a switch with an incandescent indicator bulb
  • Being on a waiting list with the local machine shop to mass produce the adapter plate
  • Testing the fit on a 4th gen to make sure everything has clearance
...To name a few, but the basic functionality has been figured out.

I'm sure the first question going through everyones mind is "How much?". I'm still waiting on a quote from the machine shop, but I'm hoping to keep it right around $249. Considering that the other options for remote control functionality are more expensive and require the purchase of an OBA system, or more labor intensive to install the cable controlled option, I'm hoping that others will see this as being a reasonable price point.

Anyhow, I just wanted to provide an update because it's been about six weeks since the last discussion on this topic. I've been driving with the prototype on my truck and I must say, intersection and driveway transitions are much nicer disconnected, not to mention the off road benefits. Please feel free to respond with positive and negative comments, questions, ideas and input on this subject.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this! :patriot:

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Re: Working on an Electric Sway Bar Bypass

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:16 pm

A couple of you have private messaged me to inform me that this thread is locked (possibly all my vendor threads). :shock:
I don't know what's going on with it, the settings all look fine on my end. I've contacted the administrator to ask for help.
Thank you for your patience! :patriot:

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model Year: 2006

Post by AceMan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:57 am

test tttt

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Keep up the good work! :rockon:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Idaho RC
Model Year: 2017

Post by Idaho RC » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:37 pm

Very interested and looking to be first in line for an order.

Pasopwagon
Model Year: 2013

Post by Pasopwagon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:27 pm

Can’t wait to see the finished product

2013 Power Wagon
San Luis Obispo County California
www.acroweld.com

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Oilbrnr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 pm

Only took me 52 years to come up with a good idea!

It would make my first and last three miles of the trip in and out of my house on dirt, much softer.
'16 with '17 FWC

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:27 pm

I had the opportunity to look at a 2019 and test fit the prototype:

2019.1.JPG
2019 Stock SmartBar module.
2019.2.JPG
My main concern was if there would be clearance issues with the crossmember and fan shroud.
2019.3.JPG
The adapter plate fits with room to spare.
2019.4.JPG
Clears the crossmember.
2019.5.JPG
Clears the fan shroud.
2019.6.jpg
The only thing that's close is the plastic oil filter drain tray, but I don't think that will be a problem.
2019.7.JPG
Fan shroud clearance with SmartBar module installed.
2019.8.JPG
Crossmember clearance with SmartBar module installed.

Conclusion... Yes this will work on all generations of Power Wagon

:patriot:

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:40 am

A short update:

RoundRockerSw.jpg
This is the switch I'm going to use, the indicator light is an incandescent bulb, so it works with the reverse polarity of the system (unlike an LED switch). The indicator light will only illuminate after the actuator has reached the end of it's stroke. It will come with an under-dash mounting bezel, for those of you that don't want to drill a 3/4" hole in your dashboard.
RoundRockerSw.jpg (52.73 KiB) Viewed 9854 times

The prototype adapter plate/bracket is at the waterjet shop and should be done by the end of the week. Here's a waterjet video for you to check out if you're unfamiliar with it.
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Oilbrnr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:11 pm

Got some pretty decent rains yesterday here in the Phoenix area, and the road to my house is in pretty bad shape until myself and others get out to drag it with our tractors. Made me think this morning how nice it be to keep that bar disconnected for the 3 mile trek, twice a day.
'16 with '17 FWC

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:26 pm

I'm sure the first question going through everyones mind is "How much?". I'm still waiting on a quote from the machine shop, but I'm hoping to keep it right around $249. Considering that the other options for remote control functionality are more expensive and require the purchase of an OBA system, or more labor intensive to install the cable controlled option, I'm hoping that others will see this as being a reasonable price point.

Anyhow, I just wanted to provide an update because it's been about six weeks since the last discussion on this topic. I've been driving with the prototype on my truck and I must say, intersection and driveway transitions are much nicer disconnected, not to mention the off road benefits. Please feel free to respond with positive and negative comments, questions, ideas and input on this subject.

You're going to have a larger market than just PW guys. Start thinking about that seriously. Because the current manual and OBA verison are sold and marketed to Jeepers. But they work both ways. Mine works on my 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon. Still using the same damn smart bar.

Might be time for you to setup a website dude.

:cheers:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

EasyDoesIt
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by EasyDoesIt » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:32 pm

OffroadTreks wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:42 pm
Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:26 pm

You're going to have a larger market than just PW guys. Start thinking about that seriously. Because the current manual and OBA verison are sold and marketed to Jeepers. But they work both ways. Mine works on my 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon. Still using the same damn smart bar.

What he said.

I like Shopify and Google Domains.
Live: Las Vegas NV, Drive: 2018 PW & 2014 LR4

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:00 am

haha i said this same thing to him...Can not ignore the true market potential of this product.

copied from a private message to BLM-

WHATEVER YOU DO, ADDRESS THE JEEPS- HUGE RUBICON MARKET.

lol
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:00 am

considering im looking at a used rubicon for a second vehicle.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:07 am

OffroadTreks wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:42 pm

The interesting thing about the Rubicon SmartBar is that it's just a sway bar motor, no locker guts inside. On the JK the lockers are controlled with dedicated relays, so you can remove the SmartBar without effecting the lockers. The only down side is the sway bar light will flash on the dashboard, so you have to use a ProCal or similar device to deactivate the light. I already have the wiring harness figured out for the JK and it would use my first prototype adapter plate for mounting the new actuator. It's the same on the JL but I'm still working on the harness layout. It shouldn't be an issue just a matter of time.

Does anybody know where I can find a good front end developer? :lol:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:27 pm

Keep up the good work!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:43 am

A short update on this project: I thought I was going to be able to control the new Sway Bar Bypass with the factory switches, however, beta testing has revealed an issue with the 2013-18 trucks. The CAN-BUS circuitry was changed in 2013 and inhibits me from using the OEM dash buttons. Fortunately though, a dedicated rocker switch will still do the job. Instead of integrating this into the Locker Bypass, like I was hoping, it will just be a standalone unit for controlling the sway bar. A new test unit has been sent out, just waiting for confirmation that everything works as it should.

BULLITT1204

Post by BULLITT1204 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:48 pm

So with it being stand alone im guessing the truck switches wont show if the disconnected or connected then correct. And pretty kuch u gotta just feel when its disco vs connected???
2018 tradesman power wagon
Omaha orange

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:47 pm

BULLITT1204 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:48 pm
So with it being stand alone im guessing the truck switches wont show if the disconnected or connected then correct. And pretty kuch u gotta just feel when its disco vs connected???
The factory switches will always indicate that it’s connected and won’t have any flashing lights, but the new rocker switch that I provide with the system has its own indicator light to show when it’s connected or disconnected.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:A short update on this project: I thought I was going to be able to control the new Sway Bar Bypass with the factory switches, however, beta testing has revealed an issue with the 2013-18 trucks. The CAN-BUS circuitry was changed in 2013 and inhibits me from using the OEM dash buttons. Fortunately though, a dedicated rocker switch will still do the job. Instead of integrating this into the Locker Bypass, like I was hoping, it will just be a standalone unit for controlling the sway bar. A new test unit has been sent out, just waiting for confirmation that everything works as it should.
I know you say this issue with the swaybar control affects 2013-2018. Just for clarity, is that 2013.5 - 2018? In other words, does it affect the 2013 with 4 link / rear leaf truck?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

:rockon: :chug:

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:25 pm

SimonandSimonBeast wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:51 pm
Retired BLM Rig wrote:A short update on this project: I thought I was going to be able to control the new Sway Bar Bypass with the factory switches, however, beta testing has revealed an issue with the 2013-18 trucks. The CAN-BUS circuitry was changed in 2013 and inhibits me from using the OEM dash buttons. Fortunately though, a dedicated rocker switch will still do the job. Instead of integrating this into the Locker Bypass, like I was hoping, it will just be a standalone unit for controlling the sway bar. A new test unit has been sent out, just waiting for confirmation that everything works as it should.
I know you say this issue with the swaybar control affects 2013-2018. Just for clarity, is that 2013.5 - 2018? In other words, does it affect the 2013 with 4 link / rear leaf truck?

Locate this 10 pin connector on the passenger side vertical radiator core support frame.
Count the number of wires in the connector:
  • 9 Wires = It might work :)
  • 10 Wires = It won't work :(
10 Pin Connector.jpeg

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:50 pm

10 wires.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:45 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
SimonandSimonBeast wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Locate this 10 pin connector on the passenger side vertical radiator core support frame.
Count the number of wires in the connector:
  • 9 Wires = It might work :)
  • 10 Wires = It won't work :(
10 Pin Connector.jpeg
There are 10 wires going in and out of that connector on my truck. What does that mean regarding the bypass possibilities?

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:20 pm

I have a manual bypass. But to be honest, it's kind of annoying to crawl under the truck. I should get myself one of these.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures