70%
Maxxis Razr MT
30%

Total votes: 10

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: Cooper or Maxxis?

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:09 pm

Those look good. Ya know I never run my tires down to the wear bars, but I'm at 12/32nd and pretty sure the Toyo's say 11/32nd is the end of the shelf life on them. I think I'm going to run this set straight into the ground. I really just don't want to buy tires and wear them out over the winter before Power Wagons in Moab, lol.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by 16PW » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Bill2014 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:38 am
Good thing you don't have marker lights on the cab like some of us do... They might scrape in the parking garage! :o
Really glad I don't! I stopped under the clearance bar in the entrance of the garage and put my hand up over the cab. I maybe had 2" to spare. I want to do the Thuren 1.5" springs in the front and a 1" spacer in the rear, but that will have to wait until I get a new job or find some where else to park.

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 16PW » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:17 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:09 pm
Those look good. Ya know I never run my tires down to the wear bars, but I'm at 12/32nd and pretty sure the Toyo's say 11/32nd is the end of the shelf life on them. I think I'm going to run this set straight into the ground. I really just don't want to buy tires and wear them out over the winter before Power Wagons in Moab, lol.
Thanks! I love the look of this tire. Toyo is of course a great tire and have an awesome sidewall tread, but they are so damn expensive! lol I typically push the limits on wearing down MT's because it sure is painful to buy a new set. I might be doing Crown King next week as long as my jeep buddy can go so I'll give an update on how these tires perform if I go.

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 16PW » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:48 pm

RPS1030 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:40 pm
16PW wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:17 pm
BoldAdventure wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:09 pm
Thanks! I love the look of this tire. Toyo is of course a great tire and have an awesome sidewall tread, but they are so damn expensive! lol I typically push the limits on wearing down MT's because it sure is painful to buy a new set. I might be doing Crown King next week as long as my jeep buddy can go so I'll give an update on how these tires perform if I go.
CK isn’t much of a test IMO. Of course it’s hard to test the PW much in general.

I’ll be in one of the crawlers near Florence tomorrow.

Don’t ride in my truck unless ready to order Kings that day.

I'm curious to see what the limits of this power wagon is, especially with 37s. I'll keeping pushing to find it. I saw a test drive video of a power wagon doing crown king. Wasn't too long of a video,but they did show it do one of the tougher obstacles with ease. I just have always wanted to do it and the trail head is probably 20 min max from my house. I've heard of a couple of guys on here riding in someone else's truck with kings and its pretty much just a raping to your wallet. Do you have the king 2.5 or 3.0?

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:28 pm

Or the antennas for GPS and sat radio. I'm pretty sure they would get crushed.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 16PW » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:51 pm

RPS1030 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:12 pm
16PW wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:48 pm
RPS1030 wrote:

CK isn’t much of a test IMO. Of course it’s hard to test the PW much in general.

I'm curious to see what the limits of this power wagon is, especially with 37s. I'll keeping pushing to find it. I saw a test drive video of a power wagon doing crown king. Wasn't too long of a video,but they did show it do one of the tougher obstacles with ease. I just have always wanted to do it and the trail head is probably 20 min max from my house. I've heard of a couple of guys on here riding in someone else's truck with kings and its pretty much just a raping to your wallet. Do you have the king 2.5 or 3.0?
CK turns into a looooooooooong day. Did it on Thanksgiving Day last year to avoid the crowds. I’ll avoid it for a few years again.

Did Moab all stock the first time. Then on 37s last year. Done more than I should have around locally and have the complete pinstripe package to show for it. Pretty much was a twin of yours.

I splurged on 3.0 up front to avoid any second guessing.

Great pics! Is the rear stock? I added pinstripes within a week of buying it by doing broken arrow. Pinstripes is just a given around AZ. That is the only reason I got white. If this wasn't an off road truck then I would have got a deep cherry red like my 1500 or the delmonico red. Love those colors, but the scratches stick out like a sore thumb.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:51 pm

16PW wrote:
RPS1030 wrote:
16PW wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:17 pm

A raping to your senses maybe! A 9,000lb truck has no business jamming through 2’ deep whoops at freeway speeds, which leads to serious smiles when you do it Image

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:47 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
16PW wrote:
RPS1030 wrote:

A raping to your senses maybe! A 9,000lb truck has no business jamming through 2’ deep whoops at freeway speeds, which leads to serious smiles when you do it Image
Amen to that! https://youtu.be/cf0k-FRJQGE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Cooper or Maxxis?

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Oh and Toyos for life ImageImageImageImage
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:51 pm

2wagons1driveway wrote:Oh and Toyos for life ImageImageImageImage
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

Nearly indestructible?
Check.

Looks for days?
Check.

Ride quality of a Caterpillar D9?
Check!

DiazOsos
Model Year: 2018

Post by DiazOsos » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:43 pm

16PW wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:48 am
37 Cooper STT Pro's are finally on! It's amazing how big these tires are in person compared to stock size. I was really surprised how much higher the truck seems. These 37's look right at home on power wagons.I have the obvious rub on the control arm and sway bar, but no rubbing on plastic.a.jpg
Damn... that looks good. Like Salm Haik in Dust till Dawn. I’ve gotta reconsider 37’s.

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:07 pm

@damage wagon lol yessir! They really ride great if you leave them at 30psi year round like mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 16PW » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:22 am

2wagons1driveway wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:47 pm
DamageWagon wrote:
16PW wrote:
Amen to that! https://youtu.be/cf0k-FRJQGE
That's an awesome video! It looks crazy smooth!
DamageWagon wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:51 pm
16PW wrote:
RPS1030 wrote:

lol I'm typically a go big or go home type of person so we'll see what happens suspension wise down the road.

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 16PW » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:23 am

DiazOsos wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:43 pm
16PW wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:48 am
37 Cooper STT Pro's are finally on! It's amazing how big these tires are in person compared to stock size. I was really surprised how much higher the truck seems. These 37's look right at home on power wagons.I have the obvious rub on the control arm and sway bar, but no rubbing on plastic.a.jpg
Damn... that looks good. Like Salm Haik in Dust till Dawn. I’ve gotta reconsider 37’s.
Thanks! Do it! 37's look so right on a power wagon.

17PowerWagon808
Model Year: 2017

Post by 17PowerWagon808 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:29 pm

I've decided to go with coopers. I dont want any rub. What size is recommended for no rub issues? I'm thinking 315/70/17. Am I correct?
Aloha from Hawaii

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:02 pm

17PowerWagon808 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:29 pm
I've decided to go with coopers. I dont want any rub. What size is recommended for no rub issues? I'm thinking 315/70/17. Am I correct?
For a radius arm truck: 35s fit fine. It's a tight squeeze to get one into the spare location under the bed, may require deflating or getting a used spare. Many will say you don't need to correct the tire size, but having driven my truck on 35s both ways I can say correcting the tire size made a noticeable difference (improvement) in how the transmission shifts on the highway. You can do it with devices like AEV Procal, Ram Tazer, AlphaOBD, etc.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

17PowerWagon808
Model Year: 2017

Post by 17PowerWagon808 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:57 pm

My procal arrives in the mail today. Thank you for the help! 🤙🏼

For a radius arm truck: 35s fit fine. It's a tight squeeze to get one into the spare location under the bed, may require deflating or getting a used spare. Many will say you don't need to correct the tire size, but having driven my truck on 35s both ways I can say correcting the tire size made a noticeable difference (improvement) in how the transmission shifts on the highway. You can do it with devices like AEV Procal, Ram Tazer, AlphaOBD, etc.
[/quote]
Aloha from Hawaii

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by cb1987 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:21 pm

NovA ProspekT wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:40 pm
I've heard great things about Maxxis tires, although I have no personal experience with them.

after 600mi this is what i have to say. lug spacing, particularly in the center i think, makes them have a rumble strip feeling even at low speed which also has a vibration to go with it that can make your legs tingle. highway speed is bad as well. supringly they arent as loud as you might think however. i road forced all of them once and one was a mile off. after swapping that tire to the other wheel on the rear and doing a second road force on bothe rears, it got it to a acceptable level but still needed 6oz weight, just as before. just to be sure ive got everything as good as i can, im going to do a second road force on the fronts even thought they werent that bad the first time . the rumble strip vibration feeling likely will never go away which sucks because its annoying. ill give it some more time and see if i can tolerate these tires or say hell with it and throw in the towel.

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jack187 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:31 am

I'm on my 3rd set of 37" Cooper STT Pros. Nothing but good things to say overall, but there is some variation based on size.
I've run these tires year round and found them to perform well overall.

First set was 37X13.50R17LT . Required little weight to balance. Very tough/heavy tire. 85 PSI max E range. Because of this, running low tire pressure always made the sidewall flex very noticeable on the road, and very bouncy. Traction was good. Tread noise was tolerable with windows down.

For the second set I decided I wanted to reduce the sidewall flex and bounciness, so I went to 37X13.50R20LT . Balanced with almost no weights. Silky smooth on the road. Also 85 PSI E Range. The sidewall flex and bounce was essentially gone. Very happy with the performance, but over time, I decided I wanted more sidewall back. Tread noise was minimal with windows down. If I had decided to stay with a 20" wheel, I would have stuck with these tires.

Being happy with the Coopers in general, I decided to roll the dice and go back to either an 18" or 17" wheel and 37" tire. I settled on 37X12.50R17LT .
It turned out to be pretty much spot on. I recovered the sidewall I wanted. The tires are the same weight as the 37X13.50R20LT, and are a 65 PSI tire D range, so they don't have nearly as much sidewall flex when the pressure is dropped like the first set I had. They are also a little less rigid and more forgiving. Tread noise is tolerable with windows down.

By combining the 37X12.50R17LT with the AEV 8.5 Katla, I have almost the same wheel/tire alignment as a factory wheel/tire, so they don't extend out the sides of the truck. There is still some rubbing at full lock, but it is minimal. I can't see a reason I'd buy anything else at this point unless they stop making them in this size.
2015 Tradesman (PW option), 37X12.50R17LT Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires, AEV Katla 8.5" wheels

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:43 am

Jack187 wrote:I'm on my 3rd set of 37" Cooper STT Pros. Nothing but good things to say overall, but there is some variation based on size.

First set was 37X13.50R17LT . Required little weight to balance. Very tough/heavy tire. 85 PSI max E range. Because of this, running low tire pressure always made the sidewall flex very noticeable on the road, and very bouncy. Traction was good. Tread noise was tolerable with windows down.

For the second set I decided I wanted to reduce the sidewall flex and bounciness, so I went to 37X13.50R20LT . Balanced with almost no weights. Silky smooth on the road. Also 85 PSI E Range. The sidewall flex and bounce was essentially gone. Very happy with the performance, but over time, I decided I wanted more sidewall back. Tread noise was minimal with windows down. If I had decided to stay with a 20" wheel, I would have stuck with these tires.

Being happy with the Coopers in general, I decided to roll the dice and go back to either an 18" or 17" wheel and 37" tire. I settled on 37X12.50R17LT .
It turned out to be pretty much spot on. I recovered the sidewall I wanted. The tires are the same weight as the 37X13.50R20LT, and are a 65 PSI tire D range, so they don't have nearly as much sidewall flex when the pressure is dropped like the first set I had. They are also a little less rigid and more forgiving. Tread noise is tolerable with windows down.

By combining the 37X12.50R17LT with the AEV 8.5 Katla, I have almost the same wheel/tire alignment as a factory wheel/tire, so they don't extend out the sides of the truck. There is still some rubbing at full lock, but it is minimal. I can't see a reason I'd buy anything else at this point unless they stop making them in this size.
Do you think some of your specs could be wrong or that Cooper changed the tires? The 37x12.50R17s seem to be a D 50 PSI tire and the 37x13.50R17 seem to be an E 65 PSI tire. I'm not trying to be picky but I find your feedback very helpful and wanted to clarify. I'm down to three tires at this point with a September/ October purchase timeframe. Maxxis Razr, Cooper STT Pro, and Kanati Trail Hog.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jack187 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:46 pm

TankerZak wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:43 am
Do you think some of your specs could be wrong or that Cooper changed the tires? The 37x12.50R17s seem to be a D 50 PSI tire and the 37x13.50R17 seem to be an E 65 PSI tire. I'm not trying to be picky but I find your feedback very helpful and wanted to clarify. I'm down to three tires at this point with a September/ October purchase timeframe. Maxxis Razr, Cooper STT Pro, and Kanati Trail Hog.

You are correct. I was off on the PSI listings. I was pulling from a website and apparently had an issue lining up the numbers. The 37x12.50R17s are 50 PSI and the 37x13.50R17 are 65. Sorry about that.
2015 Tradesman (PW option), 37X12.50R17LT Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires, AEV Katla 8.5" wheels

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:14 am

Jack187 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:31 am
I'm on my 3rd set of 37" Cooper STT Pros. Nothing but good things to say overall, but there is some variation based on size.

Hey Jack, how about some pics of your setups?! Seems like I came across a few on aev forum long ago, but nothing else. Nice looking rig for sure! And thanks for your reviews!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jack187 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:38 am

Sure. I'll try to get them out later today.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:18 pm

But your saying the 37x13.50R17E had a softer sidewall than the 37x12.50R17D? That literally blows my mind...

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jack187 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:18 pm

TankerZak wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:18 pm
But your saying the 37x13.50R17E had a softer sidewall than the 37x12.50R17D? That literally blows my mind...

Not exactly. It was a result of a few things working together. The sidewall itself is not "softer."

The sidewall on the x13.5 is very durable/thick.
The x13.5 weighs 6-8 lbs more than the x12.5 and requires more PSI to take excessive flex out of the sidewall.
It has been a little while since I had the x13.5s, but I remember 3 things about them.

First, at full inflation, the rear tires did not maintain full contact with the pavement. They would ride on the center of the tire unless I added a considerable amount of weight to the bed. This led me to reducing the PSI until I had a good contact across the entire tread.

Second, at that level of inflation, I could feel the sidewall flex when applying power while cornering, during hard breaking, and during acceleration. It is hard to describe if you haven't felt it, but the flex was significant enough at times that it made me feel like I was about to slide. At other times you could feel it like a long "slap" coming to rest as the flex came out of the system.

Third and last, running at the pressure that afforded the good contact pattern also allowed a lot of bounce that the shocks really could not address.

I am not having the contact pattern issue with the x12.5's at any inflation pressure up to max, nor the sidewall flex issue, nor the bounce issue.

I actually preferred the x13.5's based on the dimensions, which is why I bought them initially.
Going to the x12.5 gave up a little in the tread width and ply rating.
At the same time though, I picked up a slightly narrower track and turn radius, reduced tire weight resulting in more responsiveness, and higher max load (load actually goes up by 300+ lbs per tire).

My truck is now just low enough and narrow enough that I can still use my unlimited automated car wash membership in the winter to keep the road salt off of it every day.