Locker Bypass Rebirth

IDIOTCARL
Model Year: 2014

Re: Locker Bypass Rebirth

Post by IDIOTCARL » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Hey all,
Wanted to give my feedback on the two systems offered.
First of all these kits are of high quality, are professionally put together, and just top notch as hell.

Start to finish it was a painless process... my turn came up, i paid, i received both the locker bypass and nannie kill system within the week.
Once i got started the kit was fully prepped and ready to go, everything you need.
I did have a couple of questions and i received answers right away..again huge 👍.

Installation was easy and it looks factory. I tested the system and it worked like a charm.

If your on the fence about the system or the cost, GET OFF THE FENCE AND START WHEELING. These set-ups are the bees knees.

Retired blm, you da man!

I find myself using the nannie kill alot when just hopping about on dirt fire roads and the 2wd drive locker option is awesome when pulling a dry hill or a boat at the launch.

Thanks for the awesome system you figured out, R. BLM.

(Side note: on a 2014 at least, the passenger inner fender there is a 1/4 twenty threaded factory stud, it works perfect for mounting the control box for the locker bypass. Its between the firewall and the air box. Takes some riggermaroe to get the box in position, but its a solid, safe spot to mount.)

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 am

So my sway bar disconnect definitely is not working now. Light might flash a little, go dark, and eventually back to solid connected again. I am assuming this has nothing to do with the locker bi-pass kit install, just the usual flakiness ram has refused to address. I plan to have it checked under warranty on Friday. Just want to be sure there was nothing that could have have been done with the locker bi-pass accidentally to cause this. Not convinced the disconnect really ever worked well....
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:02 am

A simple test would be to revert to stock by removing the T-harness and reconnecting the factory axle connectors and see if it functions better. I would recommend doing this anyway before you take it in for warranty work. The sway bar switch wires simply pass straight through the T-harness and are not effected by the bypass. You have to be in 4Hi or 4Lo for the sway bar to work.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:17 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:02 am
You have to be in 4Hi or 4Lo for the sway bar to work.
key misstep many will take, because you no longer have to be in a 4 wheel range!

remember that swaybar could use some bypassing as well!
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Does not work in 4x4.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:55 pm

Just said F it and took it in. Loose connector they said. Was it with Chrysler connectors?

Bigwoody65
Model Year: 2011

Post by Bigwoody65 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:21 am

Where do I get this by pass system for my 2011 5.7 Power Wagon. How much?

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:39 pm

They did not give me any info at all. I think it was factory loose however.

astrayer1990

Post by astrayer1990 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Retired BLM, I want one of these kits! How do i get in touch with you to get one?! I have a 2018 Power Wagon

astrayer1990

Post by astrayer1990 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Retired BLM how do i get one of these kits? it is exactly what i am looking for! i have a 2018 Power Wagon

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:15 pm

finally got time to install the blm bypass yesterday. top notch kit that works great . best thing is you dont have to wait and wonder if or when it will lock. blm system locks right away

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:25 pm

Theres just so much awesomeness in this thread.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 pm

cb1987 wrote:finally got time to install the blm bypass yesterday. top notch kit that works great . best thing is you dont have to wait and wonder if or when it will lock. blm system locks right away
Folks who think the lockers lock immediately when bypassed or hard wired don’t understand how our e-lockers work. Not a knock on you, BLM Rig (who is a hero, no doubt), or anyone else. Just pointing out that there’s a big misconception about this.

Bypasses and hard wiring allow the actuator to be energized on demand without the factory constraints. Nothing is locked until the dog ring meshes with the toothed side gear, and the odds are low that those two components will be aligned to allow meshing at any given moment you flip the switch. The majority of the time, they will still need differential action to mesh.

This is one of the reasons I actually like the factory switch(constraints and all). It makes use of the lockers’ sensors and actually tells me when they’re locked. Could I bypass or hardwire them, and just have faith that they’ll lock when I get some wheel spin? Sure. But I like having positive feedback of the locked/unlocked state, and I plan to keep using them as-is until the smart bar craps out.

I think the bypass is great for people that want/need it, but owners should be informed about exactly what it’s doing for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

m25443

Post by m25443 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:02 pm

Low_Sky, You may be right, but..... When stock I rarely was able to get my front lockers to lock without a fair amount of driving in an S pattern or getting the right combination of slip/traction. With BLM's kit, they lock instantly (or close enough that I've never noticed even a 1/4 of wheel rotation before they locked). Say what you will, but they work. And A LOT better than stock. I loved being in Moab and not needing to wonder if my front lockers were going to engage or not.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Sure, they need differential to lock up... but that can be offered for nearly minutes at times with the factory setup and they still dont lock up... its not just that aspect limiting the factory setup... its just flat out too much electronic bullshit.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:53 am

That’s the thing, with the bypass you know the dog gear will mesh as soon as possible, instead of waiting for the ideal moment at which it has perfect clearance at perfect speeds.

Yes you should take care when engaging and slowly roll away with a little turn in the wheel, but it’s locked in just a second. Every single time.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:18 pm

With the locker bypass kit, the physical differential locking takes place as soon as there is alignment for the mechanism to engage - ALL FACTORY SAFETY CONSTRAINTS ARE IGNORED...
It is actually as simple as that.
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:49 pm

im well aware the dogs must be in the right position for it to lock. with the stock setup my front took a while to lock. may of been a time or two that it never would lock. with the blm bypass everything locks right away and theres no tcase position or speed governors. well worth the $450 in my book

jsims006

Post by jsims006 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:02 pm

I wonder what safety garbage actually makes locking such a pain. Like what are the conditions and why are they there? I agree you normally wouldnt use lockers until you need them, but by then its too late to engage since you have to be on flat ground, turning in a circle, opening the back door and the hood at the same time, press the left blinker 3 times, etc.

so silly imo
Power Wagon: Like a Jeep but for Men.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:33 pm

jsims006 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:02 pm
I wonder what safety garbage actually makes locking such a pain. Like what are the conditions and why are they there? I agree you normally wouldnt use lockers until you need them, but by then its too late to engage since you have to be on flat ground, turning in a circle, opening the back door and the hood at the same time, press the left blinker 3 times, etc.

so silly imo
4LO. Under 3 mph. The rear has to be locked before the front will start trying to lock (you can still turn the switch direct from "unlock" to "fr/rr"). The mechanisms themselves may (almost always do) require some differential action to lock. It's in your owner's manual.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:32 pm

In addition to what is in the manual (which is included below), you can deduce that there can not be more than a 6 mph speed differential between the wheels, which is accomplished by the 3 mph limit to engage locking :D

With our bypasses, the actuator will be powered to engage all the time, even if there is a large speed difference between the wheels. :jawdrop:

From "Owners" Manual:
This vehicle is equipped with electronically locking front and rear differentials. These differentials, when engaged, mechanically lock together the axle shafts forcing the wheels to spin at an equal rate. This allows the vehicle to maintain its momentum and prevents it from becoming stuck. The locking front and rear differentials should only be engaged during low-speed, extreme off-road situations where one wheel is likely to not be in contact with the ground. It is not recommended to drive the vehicle with the differentials locked on pavement due to the reduced ability to turn and speed limitations.
CAUTION!
• Do not lock the front or rear axle on hard surfaced roads. The ability to steer the vehicle is reduced and damage to the drivetrain may occur when the axles are locked on hard surfaced roads.
• Do not try to lock the rear axle if the vehicle is stuck and the tires are spinning. You can damage drivetrain components. Lock the rear axle before attempting situations or navigating terrain, which could possibly cause the vehicle to become stuck.

The locking axles are controlled by the axle locker switch. The switch has three positions, AXLE UNLOCK, REAR LOCK, and FRONT/REAR LOCK. Under normal driving conditions, the switch should be left in the AXLE UNLOCK position. In the AXLE UNLOCK position, the front and rear axles are unlocked. In the REAR LOCK position, the rear axle is locked. In the FRONT/REAR LOCK position, the front and rear axles are locked.

NOTE: Even when the axles are in the AXLE UNLOCK position, the limited slip differential in the rear axle still provides torque biasing capability for moderate low traction environments.

During the command to lock the axle, the indicator light will flash until the axle is locked. After the lock command has been successfully executed, the light will remain on solid. To lock the rear axle, place the vehicle in 4LO. Refer to “Four Wheel Drive Operation” in “Starting and Operating” for further information. Move the axle locker switch position to REAR LOCK while traveling less than 3 mph (5 km/h). The RR indicator light will remain on when the rear axle is locked.

NOTE: Left to right wheel speed difference may be necessary to allow the axle to fully lock. If the indicator light is flashing after placing the switch in the REAR LOCK or FRONT/REAR LOCK position, drive the vehicle in a turn or on loose gravel to expedite the locking action.

WARNING!
Do not use the locked axle position for normal driving. A locked front axle is intended for off-road driving only. Locking the front axle during on-road driving will reduce the steering ability. This could cause a collision and you may be seriously injured. To lock the front axle; move the axle locker switch to FRONT/REAR LOCK while traveling less than 3 mph (5 km/h). The indicator light will be solid when the front axle is locked.

NOTE: The rear axle must be locked before the front axle will lock. To unlock the front axle; move the axle locker switch to REAR LOCK. The FRONT/REAR LOCK indicator light will go out when the axle is unlocked.

NOTE: The axle lockers could be torque locked due to side to side loads on the axle. Driving slowly while turning the steering wheel from a left hand turn to a right hand turn or driving in REVERSE for a short distance may be required to release the torque lock and unlock the axles.

To unlock the rear axle; move the axle locker switch to AXLE UNLOCK. The REAR LOCK indicator light will go out when the rear axle is unlocked.
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006